Would you offer Kent a new deal?

New deal for Kent?

• Yes

Votes: 700 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 1,376 66.3%

• Total voters
I just want him to learn to shoot.

Even when there was zero pressure at 4-0 down to Ajax, he missed the target when clean through on the keeper at the end.

We have many problems. For me, Kent is a long way down that particular list. We are now less than 4 months away from seeing someone we paid big money for being able to sign a contract to join them in the summer. For me, it is an absolute no brainer to re-sign him - both for what he can do on the pitch for us and for financial reasons. We can’t have him walking away for nothing in the summer.

Kent has scored 3 goals in his last 50 odd games.

People wanting another 4 years of that sort of output which would probably be alongside a handsome wage rise on the chance we could sell him is bizarre to me.

If we're being brutally honest, Kent simply has not kicked on in the way we imagined he would when he signed. It's why, apart from Leeds, no one has touched him with a bargepole.

If we re-sign him, then we're stuck with him. I don't see anyone buying him. Same goes for Alfie.

Are we really comfortable with committing ourselves to £30-40k a week to each of them for the next 4 years ?

At some point we really need cut the cord this core group of players. Because they are becoming staler with each passing week. They've played their part but relying on the same old faces, time and time and time again is going to get us nowhere.

I've now come round to the idea that we should give Ryan Kent a run of games starting on the right.

This would allow us to give consistent minutes to Sakala/Matondo on the left hand side. Let them fight it out over that starting berth.

Their positions could be swapped from time to time during games to mix it up a bit, and I wouldn't be averse to seeing Kent play some spells of games centrally in the 10 role from time to time. He's played there for us before in certain games with relative success.

We're now at the stage where we need to freshen our play up and try something different with the squad of players we have, because what we're doing just now clearly isn't working. The season is in its infancy and we're already looking stale.

Also, I genuinely believe that when Morelos is back in the starting lineup regularly, those around him will play better. He's a focal point for our attacking players to play off of, which none of our other strikers are capable of being. No harm to Colak, but we're a far better side with Alfredo leading the line and more or less occupying a full back like on his own.

His stats tell the story I'm afraid. Scott Wright had better numbers than him last season!

Look at the Celtic wide players both on roughly 15 goals last season, that's the kind out output we need from our wide men.

4 goals across all competitions and 40 odd games for me doesn't warrant a new contract.

Staler than month old bread. Time for him to go. Should've been sold in summer if anyone was sniffing about.

What about an Abada or Jota type instead?

Seems overly ambitious and borderline fantasy given recent transfer market trends.

Who’s the last Jota-like signing we made in terms of impact? Bassey aside, you’ve arguably got to go back about 4 years and 25 signings to find one - so to expect it to happen again to replace Kent seems unlikely.

People wanting another 4 years of that sort of output which would probably be alongside a handsome wage rise on the chance we could sell him is bizarre to me.

If we're being brutally honest, Kent simply has not kicked on in the way we imagined he would when he signed. It's why, apart from Leeds, no one has touched him with a bargepole.

If we re-sign him, then we're stuck with him. I don't see anyone buying him. Same goes for Alfie.

Are we really comfortable with committing ourselves to £30-40k a week to each of them for the next 4 years ?

At some point we really need cut the cord this core group of players. Because they are becoming staler with each passing week. They've played their part but relying on the same old faces, time and time and time again is going to get us nowhere.
I get that Kent has under performed recently. Equally, it was only 6 months ago he was terrorising Dortmund etc.

4 years at £40k a week, so £8m over the next 4 years. Yes, I would do that. As much as anything there is every chance you could likely sell him for decent money in a year or two. As things stand, he is walking away for SFA.

But even if we do move on from Kent, we then need to replace him. We’ve tried to sort the RW position and what have we ended up with? Matondo. Right now, I’d much rather be paying a Kent contract than Matondo. But even if we assume that we do better than Matondo as a replacement for Kent, are we really expecting to pay a decent transfer fee, good wages and end up with a real upgrade on Kent? I have my doubts.

As I say, we have real problems at the moment but Kent is very low on that list for me. Not having a competent goal keeper, physical centre halves, a dynamic midfield or a decent LW are much higher on my list.

I get that Kent has under performed recently. Equally, it was only 6 months ago he was terrorising Dortmund etc.

4 years at £40k a week, so £8m over the next 4 years. Yes, I would do that. As much as anything there is every chance you could likely sell him for decent money in a year or two. As things stand, he is walking away for SFA.

But even if we do move on from Kent, we then need to replace him. We’ve tried to sort the RW position and what have we ended up with? Matondo. Right now, I’d much rather be paying a Kent contract than Matondo. But even if we assume that we do better than Matondo as a replacement for Kent, are we really expecting to pay a decent transfer fee, good wages and end up with a real upgrade on Kent? I have my doubts.

As I say, we have real problems at the moment but Kent is very low on that list for me. Not having a competent goal keeper, physical centre halves, a dynamic midfield or a decent LW are much higher on my list.

Hand on heart, how many times has Kent turned up and ran a team ragged since we won the title ? Dortmund absolutely, Leipzig at home as well. Who else ?

That's two games in over 12 months. We know he has the ability the problem is he is very rarely showing it. How long do you live off the back of past games ?

To me, it's a very expensive gamble either way. Walking away for nothing isn't ideal and it's disappointing we've got to this stage again with a key player but at least you've then got his large wage to go get someone else. And whether we like it or not, the Tims getting Abada for half his fee and probably nowhere near his wage either has shown that there are guys out there who can play wide and get goals and assists plenty in this league. But committing ourselves to several millions pounds over 4 years for a forward who has scored just 30 goals in over 4 years and who's finishing seems to be getting worse if anything guarantees us nothing.

Possibly went stale for both the club and the player and best for everyone if we parted ways

I’m not wasting time being negative about the boy as he’s always given us his all regardless of form

Seems overly ambitious and borderline fantasy given recent transfer market trends.

Who’s the last Jota-like signing we made in terms of impact? Bassey aside, you’ve arguably got to go back about 4 years and 25 signings to find one - so to expect it to happen again to replace Kent seems unlikely.
Not if you let John Park do his work and our other scouts and then actually put your hand in your pocket for them as opposed to just buying from Wilson’s say so and Belgian playbook (who btw has an appalling and expensive strike rate) since coming in!

Hand on heart, how many times has Kent turned up and ran a team ragged since we won the title ? Dortmund absolutely, Leipzig at home as well. Who else ?

That's two games in over 12 months. We know he has the ability the problem is he is very rarely showing it. How long do you live off the back of past games ?

To me, it's a very expensive gamble either way. Walking away for nothing isn't ideal and it's disappointing we've got to this stage again with a key player but at least you've then got his large wage to go get someone else. And whether we like it or not, the Tims getting Abada for half his fee and probably nowhere near his wage either has shown that there are guys out there who can play wide and get goals and assists plenty in this league. But committing ourselves to several millions pounds over 4 years for a forward who has scored just 30 goals in over 4 years and who's finishing seems to be getting worse if anything guarantees us nothing.
I wouldn’t dispute that we aren’t getting enough out of Kent on a regular basis. Indeed we aren’t getting enough out of many on a regular enough basis, particularly the mainstays of the 55 team. Is that because they have lost their hunger (which would certainly be a good reason to move them on)? Is it this particular manager who can no longer get a tune out of the players? I’ll be honest and say that I don’t think we are going anywhere until we address what I see as the GVB issue. If you don’t have the right manager in charge, everything else is built on a foundation of sand and that is where I think we are.

But even parking the issue of the manager to one side, Kent is pretty much still the only one in our team at the moment who when he gets the ball gives me the vibe that something might happen. He’s the only one PSV doubled up on. He’s the only one (admittedly only got 20 minutes or so) Celtic looked worried about last weekend. As you say, the situation with Kent isn’t ideal. But, for me, he is one of only a few in that squad who I would want to have as part of our core going forward. Tav, Lundstram, King, Lowry, Lawrence and Morelos (somewhat controversial I know) are the others. There are some other decent players kicking around in the squad but none that I would view as sufficiently core that I would lose too much sleep over if they left.

As I have said, I just think we have far more and bigger problems than Kent. I would take our chances on Kent still being salvageable out of the current wreckage.

Not if you let John Park do his work and our other scouts and then actually put your hand in your pocket for them as opposed to just buying from Wilson’s say so and Belgian playbook (who btw has an appalling and expensive strike rate) since coming in!

Yeah, but what are the chances of that? That’s the point.

Looking at it logically, Gio likes Wright. We’ve signed Matondo. The likelihood would be any new signing being a backup to them.

71% said no!

Blows my mind. It really does.

His attitude, his work ethic, and his ability to change a game by directly attacking players is relatively unmatched in this team.

If he had a few teammates who would take away the attention of the THREE markers he generally has to contend with, then I imagine he might get a bit more joy...

Like I said - staggering.
The three markers thing just isn’t true though. Plenty of time he cant even take advantage of 1 v 1 situations against SPL cloggers. His peak is quite a high level, but it’s rarely seen and I often feel he’s one of the biggest let downs when we start throwing points away in the league.

Poor soul, you would think the big wage he gets every week would keep him giving everything for the club and fans.

It's always someone else's fault not Ryan Kents, absolutely laughable.

I don't think a lack of effort is something that Ryan Kent can be accused of most weeks. His work rate is a given.

The tactics of the manager are not getting the best out of him. This isn't absolving Kent of any blame, he needs to do more with the talent he has but our slow build up and horrendous style of football does not get the best out of him.

He had 13 goals and similar amount of assists the season we won the league playing as a Number 10 but Gio wants to stick him out on the touchline.

I don't think a lack of effort is something that Ryan Kent can be accused of most weeks. His work rate is a given.

The tactics of the manager are not getting the best out of him. This isn't absolving Kent of any blame, he needs to do more with the talent he has but our slow build up and horrendous style of football does not get the best out of him.

He had 13 goals and similar amount of assists the season we won the league playing as a Number 10 but Gio wants to stick him out on the touchline.
A new excuse!
It's the manager's fault.

The three markers thing just isn’t true though. Plenty of time he cant even take advantage of 1 v 1 situations against SPL cloggers. His peak is quite a high level, but it’s rarely seen and I often feel he’s one of the biggest let downs when we start throwing points away in the league.
Spot on.

Of course I’d offer him a new deal (he’s still a valuable asset at the end of the day) but the offer would need to reflect his recent form and overall contribution. My guess is the going rate for him is less than he’s currently on so he would need to be willing to take a pay cut.

We held on to Kamara despite Nice wanting him. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Kent can't be off form forever which is why I said Yes.

However Kent and Morelos should have been sold for whatever cut down fee we could get in during the summer. Now we will get nothing. That's on Wilson. No one can tell me that we wouldn't have got offers if we offered them out at around £5M-£6M.

We held on to Kamara despite Nice wanting him. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Kent can't be off form forever which is why I said Yes.

However Kent and Morelos should have been sold for whatever cut down fee we could get in during the summer. Now we will get nothing. That's on Wilson. No one can tell me that we wouldn't have got offers if we offered them out at around £5M-£6M.
I'll tell you we wouldn't get anything approaching £5m for Ryan Kent. Not a chance.

He's a huge threat going forward for us.
He is always targeted by the opposition because of this.
Can drift by players like they aren't there and then turn back into trouble, or gets into a shooting position and skys it over the bar.
Plenty of goals from his hard work but could be so much more and more goals for him.
It's his end product which let's him down. But I'd certainly give him a two year extension in the hope he takes his game to another level to give us success and maybe earn us a big transfer fee.

Sometimes, like everyone, you need a fresh challenge. So for his and the clubs sake perhaps his time with us is coming to a natural end.
I for one would wish him well. Replacing the Ryan Kent from 2 years ago will be tough.

At the minute he isn’t the player he was but I have zero faith that we could bring someone on that’s of the same lower standard he’s at now.

A big No for me.

Whatever we are paying him right now is enough.

He won't find a better club than us.

He is simply not consistent enough in goals and as a team player.

I’m at the stage I think if we offer him another contract we are stuck with him. He has reached his peak and I think we would lose even more money on him with a new contract. Fresh start needed

Cant remember when I voted No in here already. Blame the drink. But was coming in here to vote No.

I genuinely thought he would try his best tonight. He hasn't tried domestically.

But tonight, big stage, English club, worldwide audience... go showcase your talents for a move down south. Be your best, Ryan. . . Nope.

His touches were poor, his decision making was worse, and his jogging about even moreso.

He has almost certainly went past his peak with us. I admire the tracking back he does for the team and it's something he worked on since coming to the club.
His main attributes though have shown no improvements imo.
How he is an automatic pick is a mystery to me now. Quite a few games he is an empty jersey.
In his remaining time with us, we should switch him on to the right wing and see if we can spark him into life.
I think if he was going to extend then he would have already.
Thanks for his efforts but I would be content to end the relationship in the summer.

Can't argue with any of this, as sad as it actually is.
It is very true.

It's like he has morphed into Candeias.

I would save the wage and try to find a couple of east Europeans instead.

He’ll be away either in January or next summer to join a Championship level club….that’s his level I’m afraid. I really hope that our esteemed DOF doesn’t try and convince him to stay at Ibrox.

Latest posts

Back