Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

January - he should be gone by then. In fact, I wonder if the bookies would take that bet and what odds they would offer.

Do you not understand that it's possible to be both disappointed with our performances and simultaneously not think that immediately binning the manager is the answer or in any way a progressive step to take at this point?

If you don't, i refer you to my previous response.
You were asked if you were happy with the performances. Don't compare apples and oranges to avoid backing down and answering the question. Either you are happy with the performances or you aren't.

You were asked if you were happy with the performances. Don't compare apples and oranges to avoid backing down and answering the question. Either you are happy with the performances or you aren't.
Are you mentally ill? 1 - I'm not happy with performances. 2 - The manager should get to the end of the season. 3 - I stand by my description of screaming wifies.

Have a great afternoon.

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

The GK fiascal…..enough said, which also ties in with recruitment.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
When I saw Gerrard sitting there last night, I realized how far backwards we have become. It's dreadful. His set up in big game, and I include the big final, projects weakness and lack of confidence. When I seen 5 at back I thought, this is only about damage limitations. 5 in the middle might have served better. We played in our own half, never tackling and always a yard or 2 of play. The spaces were atrocious. I am, after defending him all along, convinced he is not the man. I think we should be looking at a manager now to come in at WC break. We should be negotiating his exit. There are always 2 sides everywhere we look, perhaps there are reasons he has not been given big money for players....... that's just a maybe. I do not look forward to these games, when we all should. His capitulation after Ajax was the writing in the Wall. It's a real pity

It’s been obvious since that big point swing last season that he’s not going to be successful here.

Understand why we have stuck by him but there is absolutely no chance he is winning us anything significant.

Are you mentally ill? 1 - I'm not happy with performances. 2 - The manager should get to the end of the season. 3 - I stand by my description of screaming wifies.

Have a great afternoon.
No, but I think you might be.

You made a post insulting fellow posters for having a poor opinion on our performances. Now you say you are also unhappy with performances.

Go back to bed.

I’d tend to say you can’t judge a manager with anything less than a full season (as opposed to a calendar year). A season is a marathon, not a sprint and being Rangers we compete on 4 fronts over the course of that season. There will be 2 or 3 transfer windows in there and cup finals. The measure of success is of course the silverware we collect.
Gio will of course bear the brunt of failure but I’m not 100% convinced he’s to blame. Of course poor tactics and that in a match are his fault and he should be held to account for that.
Here’s the but, I don’t think Pep or anyother manager would do much better with the current squad results wise. I’m sure performances would be better.
In my opinion, Ross Wilson isn’t facing the tough questions IMO. Of course he gets stuck in here but I’ve yet to see him being questioned in the media. I think the lack of Dutch flair is down to him and not the 3 Dutch chaps. Previous managers like, Smith, Advocaat and Eck identified the players they wanted and needed. They then made a case for them to Murray and he’d then authorise the signing or veto it. Since Wilson has arrived I’m not so sure SG and Gio have had as much say in players as their predecessors.
We’re 2 points down to a poor decision by a ref. We’re a CL team but in all honesty we’re a long way from being a side that compete at that level. So losing to a team who has guys on £100k+ per week is not too upsetting nor is it a shock.
If we have poor cup runs and further behind in the league he will be punted at the end of the season. It would take a cataclysmic capitulation to see Gio gone before then.

I don't remember you, or anyone else on here for that matter, being this this outraged at the exact same point last season after failing to qualify for the UCL and had lost our first 2 Europa League games. We had the exact same number of points after 8 games as we do now in the league.

So what's the difference? Gio has got us into the UCL, something we couldn't do last year with a better squad and a manager who had been there for over 3 years and 6 transfer windows, and has the exact same league points as we did last year.

Why weren't you wanting Gerrard houdned last season as you do with Gio now yet Gio has made the more impressive start?
Firstly I take no pleasure in saying i want him gone I've said for a long time I had and continue to have great concerns for the direction of my club he is taking us. I said at the time I didn't want him, he landed right on the boards lap - done ! a seamless transition from gerrard they called it, of course there was criticism of gerrard ,malmo was very poor, in the league however he still had us playing decent not great on the eye sometimes but ok, making subs far too late was a fault for me but Most importantly he won us 55., gio has me bamboozled with tactics, boring style of play ,his after match ramblings, his lack of standing up for our assaulted players. I've asked you... how do you know the players are totally behind gio? Give us something ?

When I saw Gerrard sitting there last night, I realized how far backwards we have become.

Bit odd, Gerrard couldn't get us passed the 3rd qualifying round even with an extra man on the park. Gio has not only got us passed that round but the following round as well and into the UCL proper.

We also have the exact same points as we did after 8 games last year.

So how can we have gone so far backwards when we are out-performing Gerrard's team at the exact same point in the season?

Firstly I take no pleasure in saying i want him gone I've said for a long time I had and continue to have great concerns for the direction of my club he is taking us. I said at the time I didn't want him, he landed right on the boards lap - done ! a seamless transition from gerrard they called it, of course there was criticism of gerrard ,malmo was very poor, in the league however he still had us playing decent not great on the eye sometimes but ok, making subs far too late was a fault for me but Most importantly he won us 55., gio has me bamboozled with tactics, boring style of play ,his after match ramblings, his lack of standing up for our assaulted players. I've asked you... how do you know the players are totally behind gio? Give us something ?

So, you want a manager who is out-performing his predecessor sacked? I don't get it.

And I know the players love having him as manager, love training, atmosphere round the place etc as a fact. As in have been told that directly on several occasions from, lets just say, people who work very closely with all squads that train at Auchenowie.

The 'world' that football players live in and our world is completely different. Professional footballers don't look at football as binary the way we do. In the age of social media everything is either terrible or great. In reality its not like that at all. Our squad have a very close bond.

Last edited:
No, but I think you might be.

You made a post insulting fellow posters for having a poor opinion on our performances. Now you say you are also unhappy with performances.

Go back to bed.
Go back and read it, and i think you'll find you are talking absolute shite, but i'm not sure we're going to get an admission of that from you.

Until the end of this season and then reassess.

Barring any disasters in between, i.e the league becoming out of sight or whatever, at which point he goes then.

My support for Gio is by-polar Bear atm, Saturday I was high, last night I was down. His cautious negative approach at times is sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me atm.

Bit odd, Gerrard couldn't get us passed the 3rd qualifying round even with an extra man on the park. Gio has not only got us passed that round but the following round as well and into the UCL proper.

We also have the exact same points as we did after 8 games last year.

So how can we have gone so far backwards when we are out-performing Gerrard's team at the exact same point in the season?
With the players a year older

Really.

Name the last SPFL side who came to Ibrox and demonstrated their willingness to play wide open football against a better side. I'm thinking Hamilton Accies who got beat by 8. We were very polite about Brian Rice and couldn't understand why Accies sacked him a few weeks later.
I wasn’t talking or thinking about the dross in the SPL mate

Has fcked it from day one AM should have started the season incredibly poor judgement that cost us with JM clangers,wrong team last night morelos, tillman and Davis should have been no where near the starting 11,love GVB but he's not got i
What it takes and has proven that from the very start of the season has to go ASAP

I'm well aware.
My point being players who were here last year should be at the stage now where they're excelling, allowing Matondo, Colak, Tillman, Yilmaz, Davies and Lawrence time to bed in. I don't think that has happened. Do you?

I also wish that theory would work in practice - and instantly. Unfortunately that’s seldom the case.

For all the (at times) justified concerns, despite all of the injuries and players out-of-form, we’re only 2pts behind, in the League Cup and have qualified for the CL.

My hope is that Gio can get us through this period without too much damage.

As an aside, do you think perception would be different if we had gone out to PSV but were unbeaten after 3 games in the EL?

If GVB has to go then it has to be based on domestic performances. It would absolutely Ludacris for a team from Scotland to fire their manager over UCL/EL performances. If that was the case Watty would have got fired 5 or more times!!

I'm not even thinking along those lines right now. It seems very clear he will be here for the duration of this season unless a total disaster lies in wait. A lot hangs on the players as well and until there's big, big changes and some of them who've been here longest are moved on I don't see much changing regardless who we might look to post Gio.

He can't have another OF doing though. All these coaches, all this modern framework and they lose 4-0 against a guy who'd be managing in China had Eddie Howe taken the Tim job.
It's humiliating for them and they should be ashamed and have fire in their belly to put that right.

Has fcked it from day one AM should have started the season incredibly poor judgement that cost us with JM clangers,wrong team last night morelos, tillman and Davis should have been no where near the starting 11,love GVB but he's not got i
What it takes and has proven that from the very start of the season has to go ASAP
Morelos was the right choice last night, given his performance v Napoli. What difference would Colak have made?

Davis? With hindsight maybe not, though you could say the same of Lundstram, both were totally swamped. Jack is better than both in a situation like last night.

Tillman was a disaster waiting to happen against that sort of opposition.

I suppose the real question is how long do the Board give him and judging by the multi front defence they launched recently I’m guessing they have no intention of replacing him come the Summer regardless.

Unless there is a total collapse domestically they’ll keep him on and even at their worst Rangers will always win most games in Scotland giving Gio a regular chance to proclaim things are improving.

Until the end of the season unless the league's done or effectively done by Jan/feb/March.

Hopefully we get an unknown, fat, greasy, mumbling, boring, "attack minded" manager with a £45+ million transfer kitty to satisfy the Ange fanclub on here.

Morelos was the right choice last night, given his performance v Napoli. What difference would Colak have made?

Davis? With hindsight maybe not, though you could say the same of Lundstram, both were totally swamped. Jack is better than both in a situation like last night.

Tillman was a disaster waiting to happen against that sort of opposition.
Morelos contributed 0 no where near fit enough,Colak contributed more in 10 minutes than morelos did the whole time he was on the park

When I saw Gerrard sitting there last night, I realized how far backwards we have become. It's dreadful. His set up in big game, and I include the big final, projects weakness and lack of confidence. When I seen 5 at back I thought, this is only about damage limitations. 5 in the middle might have served better. We played in our own half, never tackling and always a yard or 2 of play. The spaces were atrocious. I am, after defending him all along, convinced he is not the man. I think we should be looking at a manager now to come in at WC break. We should be negotiating his exit. There are always 2 sides everywhere we look, perhaps there are reasons he has not been given big money for players....... that's just a maybe. I do not look forward to these games, when we all should. His capitulation after Ajax was the writing in the Wall. It's a real pity
Gerrard started the rot.

Malmo, dropped points to Motherwell, Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen and struggling in a piss easy group in the Europa.

I also wish that theory would work in practice - and instantly. Unfortunately that’s seldom the case.

For all the (at times) justified concerns, despite all of the injuries and players out-of-form, we’re only 2pts behind, in the League Cup and have qualified for the CL.

My hope is that Gio can get us through this period without too much damage.

As an aside, do you think perception would be different if we had gone out to PSV but were unbeaten after 3 games in the EL?
Yup. Europe last season masked a relatively unremarkable domestic season with pretty dull performances throughout. Getting beat in Europe this season shines a light on it.

Morelos contributed 0 no where near fit enough,Colak contributed more in 10 minutes than morelos did the whole time he was on the park
The game was dead when Colak came on. What did Colak contribute in Amsterdam?
Playing the lone striker role v quality opposition away from home is not his game.

We can get rid of him all we want but the core of our dressing room needs a clear out. Over the distance, they don’t have the guts or the metal for title challenges or high pressure games. This is the personality of the group. Nothing will change really when Gio leaves. We will probably get the new manager bounce for a month or so, then business as usual.

They have proved that, one title win from Tav, Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Arfield and Kamara demonstrates this- they are a soft touch who are capable of a lot more but sadly don’t have the mentality or in some cases, the desire for it.

I am not saying all have to go but majority need replaced to bring a different mentality to our dressing room.
Interesting point about mentality and particularly desire.
Our vice captain no less let the cat out of the bag in Nov 21 before GVB had even taken over.

So he’s responsibly for players playing badly but not for getting performances out of a someone that convinced a top team to pay £20m+ after one good season?

Doesn’t add up mate.
Ajax paid £20m for Bassey because he is an obvious talent. Gio didn't sign him and Gio sure as feck did not sell him. The fact he went to Ajax was nothing to do with Gio.

If a player is playing badly it is up to the manager to rectify that. Either by moving them to another position, modifying the tactics or subbing them. No leaving them to make an arse of themselves for 3/4 of a game. Gio takes an eternity to even try fix things when he gets them badly wrong. More often than not his decision has zero effect, occasionally it works out.

Your belief in Gio Van Bronkhorst sadly doesn't add up in my eyes either mate. I want him to be successful. I wanted him in the first place when looking for a new manager despite the noise from Feyenoord about him. It hasn't worked and you can clearly see the dramatic negative effect he is having on the team.

He is contracted to 2025 so there is no chance he is going even if we have a terrible run of results. The season is still very early and while the performances have been rubbish, we are still in the league, have 2 cups to aim for and only halfway through a group stage with 2 home games still to play.

As long as he's competitive in the league he will be fine. A couple of bad domestic results before the world cup and pressure from the fans then and only then we'll he possibly go.

He isn't getting punted whilst he's sitting 2 points behind Them regardless of what we think about him and his short comings.

The disappearance of certain posters after Saturday speaks volumes but it just left the perma-rage bubbling under the surface and it came out in the worst ways possible last night. Been on this forum for 15 years and never seen anything like it
I have been on this messageboard since the very early days,over the last couple of months the perma rage over everything at the club really is tiresome.Deep down we all knew we were going to lose last night but it’s pretty clear some dusted down the posts they had ready for Saturday but us spanking hearts putt paid to that.

If we fall any further behind the 19th Century Terrorists then I would say times up,but there's not a chance they will sack him for that,this board have shown its all about money and gio has brought them significant amounts.

Ajax paid £20m for Bassey because he is an obvious talent. Gio didn't sign him and Gio sure as feck did not sell him. The fact he went to Ajax was nothing to do with Gio.

If a player is playing badly it is up to the manager to rectify that. Either by moving them to another position, modifying the tactics or subbing them. No leaving them to make an arse of themselves for 3/4 of a game. Gio takes an eternity to even try fix things when he gets them badly wrong. More often than not his decision has zero effect, occasionally it works out.

Your belief in Gio Van Bronkhorst sadly doesn't add up in my eyes either mate. I want him to be successful. I wanted him in the first place when looking for a new manager despite the noise from Feyenoord about him. It hasn't worked and you can clearly see the dramatic negative effect he is having on the team.
We are two points behind in the league with two home games against Celtic to come.

We are playing in the Champions League.

We reached the Europa League final last season.

We lost the league by 4 points last year, while still competing in Europe and the Scottish cup.

We won the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade.

Have all the performances been good? No, definitely not. However I find it ridiculous to say it’s not working out.

The game was dead when Colak came on. What did Colak contribute in Amsterdam?
Playing the lone striker role v quality opposition away from home is not his game.
What did any of them contribute in Amsterdam,colak should have stated hes fit and scoring goals morelos is unfit and not

We are two points behind in the league with two home games against Celtic to come.

We are playing in the Champions League.

We reached the Europa League final last season.

We lost the league by 4 points last year, while still competing in Europe and the Scottish cup.

We won the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade.

Have all the performances been good? No, definitely not. However I find it ridiculous to say it’s not working out.
He threw the league away last season from a great position

Rest of the season for me. We really need to have a perfect domestic October to keep the pressure up on our friends across the city.

I'm not going to get into whether he should or shouldn't go, but I will say...

If he is to go the best time would be the World Cup. Gives the board time to find a replacement and means no interm manager.

I never want to see David McCallum in our dugout ever again. He would absolutely %^*& our season big time.

GvB wants us to play like the team in red last night, fast one touch stuff. Our players can do that to an extent but probably never to the levels of the super rich clubs who can hoover up the best talent.
What he can and should be doing is playing to the strengths of our players and reducing weaknesses in the team/ individual players. He has failed in this so far. Classic example is Tilman, a player of undoubted talent but dubious attitude / work rate. Steve Davis a wonderful servant but now not up to these games.
Change should be made now, while there is still a chance of winning the league.

I thought the title was gone I'm not so sure .. but I am fairly certain we can't win it with gio in charge .

Change now for a manager who plays progressive football we will have a chance but as it stands we don't its been gone into many times

Back