Club 1872 Director's Resignation

Out of interest. What credentials do you need to be on the board of c1872. Other than being a bear(ette) that is?

My support of both Rangers and Club 1872 will continue. However, both seem to have difficulty in getting over to their supporters what is happening. Stewart Robertson seem to be a decent and hardworking bloke but fails as an effective communicator. While I don’t know them, I feel sure that those at club 1872 are also decent and hardworking. Outside of their pleas as for additional financial support, there just seems to be insufficient communications to convince existing their members that the financial support, which is already being given, is being used meaningfully.
Any praise however slight of Stewart Robertson leads me to believe you are related to him.

Okay, so basically there's a few folk at the top of it who make the call on where it sits on C1872's priorities and they're not pushing it?

This is where it's hard to realistically define Club 1872. It sounds to me that it's not the voice of the membership that have a say on it, it's the select few (which is probably their remit) but it's not a model I would be happy to subscribe to.

I can understand how you would feel like that, however it is the big picture we have to focus on.... Supporter Ownership of our Club.

Yes the Directors may have personal views that mean they don't agree with what the members would like to happen, BROOMIE4BEARS for instance. However if they were to block these initiatives on the basis they didn't like them .... then I too would be disappointed. But I just don't see that happening.

I hope that's not the case, I guess @Papasmurf will find out when we approach them again on the issue.

Meanwhile, we should be ploughing every penny in to the current share issue or our ownership of our club regresses and diminishes.

That is a terrible thought given the ground that had been made. All because of a fleeting gripe from a resigned director.

That OP has done more damage to C1872 than anything before it. Who knows the countless 1,000's of shares we will loose because of it.

Poor show.

And those claiming for CG to stand up and be counted, codswallop, utter codswallop. That man is of more value to the Club and C1872 than all of you put together X 100.

Ask yourself .... are you prepared to do better?

I can understand how you would feel like that, however it is the big picture we have to focus on.... Supporter Ownership of our Club.

Yes the Directors may have personal views that mean they don't agree with what the members would like to happen, BROOMIE4BEARS for instance. However if they were to block these initiatives on the basis they didn't like them .... then I too would be disappointed. But I just don't see that happening.

I hope that's not the case, I guess @Papasmurf will find out when we approach them again on the issue.

Meanwhile, we should be ploughing every penny in to the current share issue or our ownership of our club regresses and diminishes.

That is a terrible thought given the ground that had been made. All because of a fleeting gripe from a resigned director.

That OP has done more damage to C1872 than anything before it. Who knows the countless 1,000's of shares we will loose because of it.

Poor show.

And those claiming for CG to stand up and be counted, codswallop, utter codswallop. That man is of more value to the Club and C1872 than all of you put together X 100.

Ask yourself .... are you prepared to do better?

I’ve said it before, but c1872 have a fantastic platform to get it right. And have made great strides in doing so. In relation to current shareholding’s.

In a way, I wish there was another way around fundraising beyond a share issue. As the money raised is to remain in a status quo, percentagewise. But it is what it is. We should all dig as deep as we can.

Re your point @George Goudie about initiatives being blocked by the board of c1872, I’m sure that isn’t or won’t be the case.

They are the voice of the fans, not the voice for the fans. Slight play on words, but you know what I mean.

whats the point if all their doing is sitting on their hands doing nothing

We cannot let current or previous Directorship issues halt such a just and valuable long term strategic initiative such as supporter ownership.

The current directors will be gone in the short/medium term, we will own a substantial part of our Club FOREVER mate.

We cannot let current or previous Directorship issues halt such a just and valuable long term strategic initiative such as supporter ownership.

The current directors will be gone in the short/medium term, we will own a substantial part of our Club FOREVER mate.
as long as we don't have the in fighting that goes with it !!

Is that it? And it’s not a slight on anyone in place as I don’t know their background. Is there no need for business acumen, experience in similar roles etc?

There is a need for certain experience being preferred but not essential. For example an accountant is good to have in any organisation. What happens if none apply?

Ultimately its the members who decide the board by electing them .

Is that it? And it’s not a slight on anyone in place as I don’t know their background. Is there no need for business acumen, experience in similar roles etc?

That is preferable, however given the dearth of members presenting themselves for office, I guess the essential criteria is possibly overlooked.

Knowing you as I do, your background would be perfectly suited to the task.

Infact, I've had you in mind allong with one other - why don't you consider applying at the next election? :)

My post earlier in the thread may have been flippant - but it did make sense (well to my old brain it does).

I've already told the other person I think could do it. You and her would be a fantastic addition to that Board.

But focus on BROOMIE4BEARS first my man!

That's your current raison détre.

This type of thing is why they haven't and never will have a penny from me. These sort of "organisations" tend to attract the self servers within society. I'm all for fan ownership and for an elected person to be on that board but you're kidding yourself if you think they are not in the pocket of the current set up.

Sorry but I disagree with some of this.

I don’t believe that most of those who have engaged, got involved and put themselves forward to run Club1872 are “self servers”. Quite the opposite in my opinion, I think that the primary motivation of those who have stepped up and ended up running these “organisations”, whether RST, RF or Club1872, have done so for genuine reasons, putting the future protection of the club first, not themselves.

It’s a difficult balance to strike and I would rather see any such organisation remain completely independent, but I don’t think it fair to question the motivation of those who put much time, effort and personal credibility on the line by getting actively involved rather than sitting on the sidelines moaning (I’m not accusing you of the latter, to be clear).

Also, the reality is that as member run organisations, anyone with questionable motives or behaviour can be voted out by the membership if required.

Good post @interbear

Got me thinking. Maybe taking a hiatus from pursuing a seat on the board would actually make sense for the moment.

Give the directors time to focus on the immediately critical priority of expanding the share base.

Long term we can work towards board representation.

TBH I just don't see the current Board ever inviting it and it may be distracting the overburdened few by diverting valuable effort.

How do you prevent it?

Happens in EVERY walk of life.
So, there is a massive difference between infighting and healthy disagreements.

Disagreements should happen. It’s how we are all kept honest and focussed.

The other angle to look at it from is how it becomes part of the public domain. Petty squabbles, disagreements etc should never be brought into the public domain.

There should be some mechanism where members with genuine gripes with other members can address the issue in a captured and transparent way. Not just a one sided story on a forum.

As we know there are two sides to every story almost always, the truth lies in the middle

At least we know who the OP is (or we can identify him easily) and he gave a full account of what his issues were. Who are you I wonder?
You've joined yesterday for the sole purpose of posting on this board and all you've contributed is a personal attack. And since you seem to have intimate knowledge/opinions of certain events:
1- "Didn't like women standing up to him" ... Why would you jump to that conclusion? That's not the impression I got from reading his post. Far from it. Sounds more like a personal opinion that someone holds who knows him would make because they think it's true or to play the sex card to defend themselves.
2- "one sided account of private conversations" ... Nothing in his post alludes to private conversations so why would you say that unless you know something we don't? Unless you're refering to his conversation with Euan McFarlane? And there's nothing "shoddy" about revealing that unless you are Euan himself or someone involved right?

You accuse the OP of rambling personal attacks and that he should be ashamed of himself, yet you join up just to attack him in a shameful manner. Bizarre.

So, excuse me for feeling that you are personally involved in this and the fact that you haven't even attempted to answer the OP's clear accusations against the individuals (you?), instead preferring to resort to attacking his character and honesty stinks of someone on the defensive. Why would that be?

Now I'm a complete neutral in all of this except of course wanting the best for the club as every average fan does. But two things really jumped out of this post to me and many others. 1. Chris Graham being paid to advise C1872. A strange set up don't you think? & 2. the OP being prevented from putting forward valid and crucial opinions of fans and members to the Rangers board ... by none other than a fellow director? If this is so, then perhaps some people need reminded exactly who's money and shares they are responsible for. Wouldn't you agree? It appears not, as none of this seems to concern you? Only character assassination seems to be your goal. Why?

And if, as I suspect, you are indeed one of the people involved, then the fact that your imagination can't stretch further than the meal on the plate under your nose when trying to come up with a 'Rangers themed' username, tells me everything I need to know about the calibre of individual who is 'running' the organisation. By the way, does anyone know if Laura, Joanne or Euan are vegetarian? Just a thought ....

Not replace them, no? Is that not an option? Hmmm... I rest my case.

Your suspicions are way off the mark, so they tell you nothing about the people running the organisation. Much like the OP's ramblings.

If this is how he behaves then the cause of fan ownership and representation is better off without. It needs serious people with a bit of discipline to keep these things on track.

The other angle to look at it from is how it becomes part of the public domain. Petty squabbles, disagreements etc should never be brought into the public domain.

There should be some mechanism where members with genuine gripes with other members can address the issue in a captured and transparent way. Not just a one sided story on a forum.

As we know there are two sides to every story almost always, the truth lies in the middle
The truth is when people get involved in these matters they tend to believe it's their gig and not the members.
I think RF got it right when we agreed not to take any freebies of any kind, like free tickets or Training ground tour or Directors Box tickets on or because of what we were doing.
It just makes you a target never mind how good our intentions were.
We should have the ear of the board but not a Director on the Board or they really are chasing a Blazer.
Ask the members what questions they want asked, not the questions 1872 directors want to ask

I thought club1872 was the fans voice on the board?I always presumed that was their role?Maybe way off but don’t they as shareholders and fans not represent both?Ive never joined as I didn’t fancy it to be honest.
This seems to be a large part of the problem c1872 is obviously the voice of the support but on 95% of the time it does not seem to fight our corner,I would imagine it's quite a difficult task to run this organization but they don't seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet as the support ,members.

The truth is when people get involved in these matters they tend to believe it's their gig and not the members.
I think RF got it right when we agreed not to take any freebies of any kind, like free tickets or Training ground tour or Directors Box tickets on or because of what we were doing.
We should have the ear of the board but not a Director on the Board or they really are chasing a Blazer.
Ask the members what questions they want asked, not the questions 1872 directors want to ask
Bang on the money. The groups need to be fully independent from the club and it’s blatantly obvious that’s not the case with 1872. Why is it members are being told nothing. The CG situation should have been explained, but it’s as if they were keeping it a secret

Your suspicions are way off the mark, so they tell you nothing about the people running the organisation. Much like the OP's ramblings.

If this is how he behaves then the cause of fan ownership and representation is better off without. It needs serious people with a bit of discipline to keep these things on track.
Discipline should never overide transparency.
There is also another common factor here and that is when someone leaves a group they suddenly become cunts who should never have been in the job in the first place.
This happens in all walks of life but doesn't make it right.

Totally agree with the highlighted bit. You then become a puppet.

IMO c1872 has now reached the point of being classed as toxic and I struggle to see how that opinion is likely to change

There’s been several changes on the board and yet still it goes round in circles with in fighting and as always, folk chasing blazers

Even a full new board would struggle to attract new members IMO

I would rather we had men and women with courage and fight in them, than corporate type like Robertson who are emasculated, weak and kowtowing to their supposed superiors. You PS have that courage and fight, i would vote for you without a moment's hesitation.

I would rather we had men and women with courage and fight in them, than corporate type like Robertson who are emasculated, weak and kowtowing to their supposed superiors. You PS have that courage and fight, i would vote for you without a moment's hesitation.

We need fans running the club that will fight tooth and nail to get everything we demand and get the club back on track. Stewart Robertson isn't it. When the AGM comes around Robertson should be gone and someone like @Papasmurf or Leanne Dempster replaces him. Seriously dissapointed if he is here come 2019.

What I found odd from was when Murty was all but gone they sent emails out for a meet and greet with him at a time when most supporters wanted to throttle him, Plus they never even checked the spelling of his name.

We need fans running the club that will fight tooth and nail to get everything we demand and get the club back on track. Stewart Robertson isn't it. When the AGM comes around Robertson should be gone and someone like @Papasmurf or Leanne Dempster replaces him. Seriously dissapointed if he is here come 2019.
I’d be happy to. Not sure my cv would survive the scrutiny for that role!

I didn’t vote in favour of having a place on the board because it will tie club1872 board members hands even tighter. Club1872 must be free of Rangers board influence.

25% shareholding. That is all.
The membership of Club 1872 voted overwhelmingly that a place on the board was to be an aim.IIRC. If this was achieved, there is a danger that the board would exert more influence on Club 1872 than the reverse.
Club1872s shareholding would hopefully entitle them to regular meetings with board
members, so that they could question the board's strategy and actions privately.

I’d be happy to. Not sure my cv would survive the scrutiny for that role!
Nothing against you but you are falling into the trap of so many before you,

IMO c1872 has now reached the point of being classed as toxic and I struggle to see how that opinion is likely to change

There’s been several changes on the board and yet still it goes round in circles with in fighting and as always, folk chasing blazers

Even a full new board would struggle to attract new members IMO

Unfortunately you've nailed it. I'm not a member although I was a member of RF - I didn't agree with the merging of them with the RST but decided I'd give them time to see how it panned out. In that time, within a year we had 3 directors resigning due to the actions of another, only for two to rejoin. We're now witnessing similar with the OP's post.

Then there's the claims of being independent when they've been anything but. James Blair should never have been appointed. As company secretary then he was never going to be holding the board to account. Having an office within Ibrox is also too cosy for me. Now we have these claims that Chris Graham is acting for both. A complete shambles.

They way Robertson shrugged them off at that first Q&A is also unacceptable, but they never chased it up. Then you have that recent statement where they won't be taking the militant route and calling out the board.

You mention a full new board but they couldn't attract enough members to stand the last time around so people were voted on by default.

I don't know where they go from here tbh. They need to decide if they're a share vehicle only with the aim of getting a seat board or if they're prepared to hold the board to account as the two issues don't work together. A rock and hard place situation for them to be in as you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Bang on the money. The groups need to be fully independent from the club and it’s blatantly obvious that’s not the case with 1872. Why is it members are being told nothing. The CG situation should have been explained, but it’s as if they were keeping it a secret

Bullshit.

The membership of Club 1872 voted overwhelmingly that a place on the board was to be an aim.IIRC. If this was achieved, there is a danger that the board would exert more influence on Club 1872 than the reverse.
Club1872s shareholding would hopefully entitle them to regular meetings with board
members, so that they could question the board's strategy and actions privately.
Strangely enough when James Blair was appointed as Rangers Secretary. some of the current 1872 Board were saying it was a conflict of interest and that no one who had a paid job at Ibrox should be a 1872 Director. What has changed ?
I have said openly at 1872 meetings, how can you be Independent if you have a Director on Rangers Board ?

1872 office is open most match days and if its not arrangements can be made.

What is tiresome is the relentless shite talked by some, egos, blazer chasers, in the clubs pocket, self serving etc.

BTW I stopped reading the OP when it said Joanne was lazy, nothing could be further from the truth and for me negates everything else he said.

Yet those casting out such aspersions never seem to want to step forward and help improve the situation. negativity from the sidelines is easy, rolling up the sleeves and trying to work together is the hard part.

Good luck PS if you decide to stand, keep the focus on going forward and try not let the negativity of some get you down.

Strangely enough when James Blair was appointed as Rangers Secretary. some of the current 1872 Board were saying it was a conflict of interest and that no one who had a paid job at Ibrox should be a 1872 Director. What has changed ?
I have said openly at 1872 meetings, how can you be Independent if you have a Director on Rangers Board ?

Who nominated and seconded James Blair for a place on the board of Club1872 given the blatant CoI?

The membership were asked a loaded question, would you like a a member on the Rangers Boar, off course they will answer in the positive, like asking me if I want a bar of Chocolate

What was his reason for standing in the first place?

If IRC you were too busy for a few weeks to concentrate on your desire to get all away fans in the corner, then trust me, there is no way you would have the time to be on 1872

Yeah, i started a new job about 5 months ago. Around time this needed a bit of work. I was being sent here there and everywhere in training courses.

Fortunately, I’m a master of my own time now.

However, not sure what the implications of c1872 would have on time etc. Obviously I only see it from the outside.

What was his reason for standing in the first place?
James was the Legal brains and one of the prime movers of RF, when the members decided to vote for to join up with the RST I proposed him as I knew he would make sure the organisation would be set up properly.
He agreed to stand for one year which he did,while he was there it was decided at a members meeting that no one should be involved with 1872 while employed by the club. So wanting a Director on board of RFC is to me is a non starter

Yeah, i started a new job about 5 months ago. Around time this needed a bit of work. I was being sent here there and everywhere in training courses.

Fortunately, I’m a master of my own time now.

However, not sure what the implications of c1872 would have on time etc. Obviously I only see it from the outside.
When we started RF it was an all consuming affair, my son spent 16 hours a day on social media and I was constantly getting in touch with ex players , business people, anyone I knew who was a Rangers fanwe were having mettins in The Louden nearly every week and it was working, wevreportedly had 14000 members but that figure has caused some dispute, but it was certainly high.
I believe ( not looking for an argument ) that 1872 is now seen as being run by certain people like The RST of old and I think that is a problem

Back