MOTM Poll Rangers v Servette - 19:45 Wednesday - BBC TV

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We got the win so I’ll take that as a plus. Lammers must score to make it 3-0 in the first half then we give away the pen. Desserts and Danilo I can only hope they are goal scorers other wise it could be a long season.

First 25 minutes looked very good for us. Rest of game 'powder puff' forward line. Not good at all against 10 men. I am just not convinced yet about Lammers. Said earlier build a team around Cantwell, he was everywhere. 'Why The F' Beale left him.out against Kilmarnock makes me very wary of Beale's bizarre decisions. Hope Beale 'doesnae' becomes the Scottish games Tinkermam
I'm more convinced by Lammers then Dessers so far tbh.

I thought we played well. We still look a bit disjointed up front but it will come. Cantwell and Jack made a big difference since the weekend and Cifuentes looks like he will drive the team forward. All in all a big improvement and I'm sure there is more to come.

Sorry for the positivity.
Jack is such a massive upgrade over Lundstram. Just hope we can get a full season out of him.

That passing display into the final third was woeful tonight, I'm pleased at the win but we really need to start passing the ball around better in all areas of the pitch.

We need to gel and gel quickly.
Was about to say something similar. Just passing in general along with first touch was absolutely woeful. I really thought Beale would have changed his tactics when they went a man down but we just kept doing the same thing over and over again and they just dealt with it. I wish they would rap these diagonal high balls into the box. It continually leads to giving up possession.

Its starting to concern me that Beale doesn't know how to beat teams that sit in and defend
I hate to admit it as I want Beale to replace Gerrard but I’m starting to come round to the idea that an elite level football coach doesn't necessarily translate into a high level football manager at a massive club where every game needs to be won.

I’m not throwing in the towel with MB yet but there are a few concerning signs there.

Ironic they played the old Football Manager intro music over the last highlights there, feel like we were FM’d a bit there

Mate, you and I are on par with our posts 99.9% of the time, for many years, but this time we’ll agree to disagree

I though we were good tonight, minus a daft penalty we win that 3 or 4 nil tonight. They never threatened

PSV will be a whole different story though
I just sat shaking my head at the “game plan” and at the summer signings basic footballing ability (based again over 180 mins I accept that)

It’s a win but nobody, except Cantwell, has got the confidence to do something different. WHY DON’T WE SHOOT FROM OUTSIDE THE BOX ? It’s been a problem for the last five years. Some nice touches but some of our passing was woefully poor. I’m hoping this team improve together but at the moment we look just starting pre season and not the start of a season. More positive in first half about closing down and overturning play but it petered out in the second. They are not great but at this point neither are we. Hope the players are up for the battle next week because the Swiss will fancy their chances with that result.

To be positive, I thought Cifuentes showed a bit of grit and skill when he came on.
Looking for the ball and I think every pass he made was forward?

Borna taking outswinging corners from the left.

A bit more urgency and even variety showing in our throw-ins.

Midfield players receiving the ball and not hitting it straight back to the defender that had just passed it to them -- well, not every time.

Our defence actually looking at "attacking" the ball when it came into our box.
Clearing it anywhere when required -- which I'm happy enough with atm.

And those crosses in from Borna ... they weren't all peaches but man, Servette didn't like them at all.

Finally -- Cantwell.
Todd Cantwell.
What a fecking player for us.
our team should've been built around cantwell, im not sure it has been but he's a starting 11.

Raskin was poor tonight, was surprised at him and would've subbed him at HT/60th minute.

Was about to say something similar. Just passing in general along with first touch was absolutely woeful. I really thought Beale would have changed his tactics when they went a man down but we just kept doing the same thing over and over again and they just dealt with it. I wish they would rap these diagonal high balls into the box. It continually leads to giving up possession.
It was screaming out for a tactical change, Cantwell should've been pushed up and Cifu brought on earlier along with Wright, and Jack being the sitter in midfield.

They don't need to.

1-0 on the night and penalties would do them and if I was their manager then next week I reckon I'd have a decent enough chance. We really struggled to break them down in the 2nd half and I don't see them chasing the game early on Tuesday. They can sit back, force us to try and do something and then look at breaking quickly and countering.
Keepers made two great saves and Lammers missed a sitter.

We have hardly created next to nothing all night long have we? They would never have scored had it not been for the penalty.

Am behind the Manager. But maybe we should think about some Scottish players!! Nights like this we need some pride in the badge

I just sat shaking my head at the “game plan” and at the summer signings basic footballing ability (based again over 180 mins I accept that)
Agreed, I’m not sure that Beale knows at this moment on time what our style of play needs to be. That comes from replacing a full front 3 (4 if you count the new options from bench)

He gets that right and we’re in good shape pal

NS

If just given some time the team will come good! You can see are just a few yard off some nice play. So a month of getting result and improving each game is what it will take.

Was always going to be the case with the amount of players in/out

Some clubs rebuilds take years, we look like we could get it right.

Cantwell must start! Reskin plays so much better with him on the park. Brings an energy to the team and fans.

And for me, Tav as captain has run its course. He’s so depressing two listen two, we won, yes we need time to come together and for me watching his interview t where he is inspiring no one in that dressing room. Dessert was more positive while still highlighting the need for improvement.

Mate, you and I are on par with our posts 99.9% of the time, for many years, but this time we’ll agree to disagree

I thought we were good tonight, minus a daft penalty we win that 3 or 4 nil tonight. They never threatened

PSV will be a whole different story though
m8 minus a daft penaltu we still could not svore against 1- men. we missed a barrel load of chances

It was screaming out for a tactical change, Cantwell should've been pushed up and Cifu brought on earlier along with Wright, and Jack being the sitter in midfield.
They didn’t struggle with our strikers but the movement and runners from midfield had them all over the place! Should have brought on more of that than trying the same tactics over and over.

The game v the Tims in 26 days time is going to be the season in 90 minutes in my view. Crazy as it is seems on the fourth league game.

God knows what will have happened v Servette or PSV. But that game v them can be the catalyst to going forward with some form of belief.

Lose it and the fallout then malaise will be unbearable. It feels like last season has revisited us.

It could be a draw. Suiting only them probably.

Killie mate...come on...please.

Killie playing 4 more games against lower division Scottish muck cannot be a serious reason as to why they looked more organised than us.

The same could be said for us playing those EL qualifiers under Gerrard, it gave us more sharpness and readiness than a friendly would.

Im just not hitting the panic button yet, this team will come good.

Cifuentes looked like a positive from the 25 minutes he got I hope he starts at the weekend.
Yes, pleasantly surprised with how comfortable he was with the defensive side of his game. Nice and steady passing in the build up too. Strolled it in his short cameo.

I'm specifically talking about the last half hour here, but this system doesn't work against an organised defence, even when everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing, because it's too structured and completely reliant on patterns of play.

If the players aren't in the correct position to start the training ground pattern, we pass the ball backwards to hold possession until they are in place.

There's no autonomy, nobody taking chances, nobody dribbling with the ball in space, nobody making an unorthodox run and even if they did nobody would pass the ball to them because they aren't in the right place for the pattern.

It's all so unbelievably safe in front of a packed defence. There doesn't seem to be any chaos that creates space and chances. It's all too safe and slow.

That might work every now and again, but the pace is shocking, especially in the transitions, and the passing is utterly atrocious.

A 5/10 performance and good that we can win, miss so many chances and still have a lot of improvement to come. No worries whatsoever for the second leg now. Another week in the legs and heads.

Well done Rangers. Time to step it up again for Livingston.

We have done everything we possibly can to keep them in this tie tonight. The last 10 was particularly disappointing. Knocking the ball around, no pace driving at a tired team. The last 30 minutes we showed we have no idea how to break down 10 men. My only hope is that Danilo and Cantwell can produce moments of magic in games like those.

That mob only beaten once at home in 22 or 23 games? Gonna be a tough game after not putting it to bed tonight. Can see a draw over there but we need to sharpen up real quick.

Dominant in possession, some nice interchanges - and a few not quite coming off - 22 attempts on goal but that same old failing. Just 8 on target.

Not a poor performance, and some promising signs, but could have been much better
This is probably a fair, sensible and balanced summary VB but after that start and the way the game panned out, I can’t help but feel really uneasy about the away tie.

It feels like a massive chance missed just tonight and i expect them to be much better at home, I don’t really believe that about us.

Hopefully you will be ramming the negativity back down my throat if we go there and get the job done mate. I feel really uneasy.

Stodgy as fck, no fluency and we have no idea how to beat a team playing a low block.
Beale needs to figure that out sharpish as we’ve had 2 competitive matches & for the majority both teams have sat in and we struggle big time.
First 20-25 was decent and the level we should be setting throughout the 90

Back