MOTM Poll Rangers v Servette - 19:45 Wednesday - BBC TV

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think them going down to ten has made them happy to sit in and take the game back there only a goal down.

Most teams find it hard to break down everyone behind the ball tactics, them going down to 10 didnt give us a devine right to score 4 or 5.

We needed that wee break or rub and it would have been a better score.

The same could be said for us playing those EL qualifiers under Gerrard, it gave us more sharpness and readiness than a friendly would.

Im just not hitting the panic button yet, this team will come good.
Gerrard pumped teams even earlier than this ffs. OK mate you stick on with your good feeling. I hope you are correct.

See all this if if if. Too many of the support keep making excuses and there will always be excuses no matter what stage of the season it is. Happened with GvB and it's happening with Beale. When is a good time? Granted it's the start of the season, so what. Alarm bells are ringing if this is the best we have against a 10 man bang average side most people have never heard of.

I worry for this season.

A good time is maybe after we’ve played more than 2 competitive games FFS. We’re not even a week into the new season with half the team replaced.

I've seen some amount of nonsense in these threads but tonight takes the biscuit. Barring some bad luck with the penalty when Dessers was clearly trying to jump out the way of the ball, and a wonder save from their keeper, we win that tie 3-0.

They offered little threat and our overall play was good, much improved from the weekend.

Some very nice one-touch passing in our forward play but much more to do in the weeks ahead.

It seems many on here expect them all to be playing their best football when they've only been together a few weeks, and that is patently ridiculous.

Absolutely zero belief in him

Talks an absolute load of bollocks with buzzwords, but no end product.
Fair enough comment mate,

I’m not in that place with him yet but I am just a wee bit more concerned as each game goes by following the pre season friendlies and our start to this campaign.

Would of taken that score after Saturdays shambles but the game should of been more comfortable! Terrible last 25 mins. Clueless. :mad:

Chance missed to kill the tie tonight. Second half particularly frustrating, back to being perplexed by a low block.

They don't look that great, fancy us to win over there but PSV look too much for us at this stage.

We started with the intensity we should have but that quickly went away.

I think the front three will come good for us soon enough. Some really nice spells between them. Passing needs to be much sharper from everyone though.

Cifuentes looked good off the bench, busy and strong and quick. Again, passing was rough but I think that's a lack of familiarity and probably being over eager to impress early doors. Cifu and the front three.

Subs remain a worry. Really strong bench and we've ignored it until they go to 10 men, and the changes themselves were weird.
The changes were absolutely perfect until Wright and Hagi, and at that point, it was clear he was just going for fresh legs.

Gerrard pumped teams even earlier than this ffs. OK mate you stick on with your good feeling. I hope you are correct.

Did we lose tonight? Are we out of the qualifiers?…

I’ve watched enough football to know teams take time to gel and get firing, we will come good. Im not writting this season off 1 week into August.

Yes it wasn’t great but I think we also have to remember they are 6 games into their competitive season while this was our 2nd.

I wasn’t impressed with what I seen but we got the result and I will hold judgement at the end of the tie.

This is probably a fair, sensible and balanced summary VB but after that start and the way the game panned out, I can’t help but feel really uneasy about the away tie.

It feels like a massive chance missed just tonight and i expect them to be much better at home, I don’t really believe that about us.

Hopefully you will be ramming the negativity back down my throat if we go there and get the job done mate. I feel really uneasy.
Oh we've definitely made it hard for ourselves over there. No question of that. Even just one more goal would have given us breathing space. Maybe a small crumb of comfort but I thought they looked vulnerable on the break.

Disappointing result given the circumstances, but we needed a win and that's what we got.

A new centre forward getting his first goal for us, which can hopefully getting some momentum going for our new attack.

A solid defensive performance with no real chances conceded.

But this place will be toxic over the next few days, so I'll check back in on Saturday morning.

Last thought . I'd imagine everyone coming out that game wonders two things. Who is a game changer, not seeing any players that have that ability. Secondly why are we as slow as a week in the jail? Why do we have players who look like they are towing tractors two games in? Tonight answered no questions and left the same ones on the table.

Dominant in possession, some nice interchanges - and a few not quite coming off - 22 attempts on goal but that same old failing. Just 8 on target.

Not a poor performance, and some promising signs, but could have been much better.

You’ll get nowhere with that glass half full mentality!

You’d think we were knocked out tonight based on some of these doom merchants.

Oh we've definitely made it hard for ourselves over there. No question of that. Even just one more goal would have given us breathing space. Maybe a small crumb of comfort but I thought they looked vulnerable on the break.
I totally agree with making it hard for ourselves,just would have loved to see all those chances put away..

I've seen some amount of nonsense in these threads but tonight takes the biscuit. Barring some bad luck with the penalty when Dessers was clearly trying to jump out the way of the ball, and a wonder save from their keeper, we win that tie 3-0.
Bad luck happens once in a while.

Giving away a stupid goal from a defensive lapse or missing a sitter is fine every few games. It's fine, it happens.

However, not taking our chances and conceding a comedy goal has happened nearly every game for the last two seasons. Even when we win.

Two years ago we went two months conceding first every game. We conceded half of the shots on target last season. We've seen god knows how many missed chances and open goals missed. Large swathes of games just sat there watching it go by with no chances.

This isn't "bad luck", it's a pattern.

Good win, not a great lead... but should have been more. They'll need to attack next week so hoping we'll exploit that. Massive improvements to get thru the next round tho

A fine first 20 mins or so. We played at pace and really stretched them.
All the doubts and fears easing from my mind.
Then. We just kind of went into a shell for remainder of first half.
Well done Barisic, outstanding first 45mins.

2nd half, we never got that tempo back.
Balls wide to Tav just kept coming back or inside.
Danilo looks full of ideas and touches but his timing seemed off tonight, hopefully just rusty.

Their keeper made a couple good saves or we would be very comfortable.
Work to do but mood certainly lifted after the debacle of Saturday.

I have said before that I hope selling Colak for just a couple of 'mill', a player with CL Play off goal scoring qualifying experience, both against us v Malmo and for us v PSV in the play offs the following season does not come back to haunt us.

I thought Beale, who claims to prefer one particular way of playing, might just be open to various ways of playing if we are finding it difficult to break teams down especially like those tonight down to 10 players!

I thought we wasted a fair few good chances in the 2nd half. Dessers and Danilo will be fine once they are fit and up to pace. However Sima will not, constantly in the wrong place, his second touch is a tackle and has no situational awareness at all. I liked the look of Cifuentes but Dowell much like Sima hasn't settled yet either. Tav is getting to that age where his shunts just don't work the same shame. Cantwell was my MOTM.

Bad luck happens once in a while.

Giving away a stupid goal from a defensive lapse or missing a sitter is fine every few games. It's fine, it happens.

However, not taking our chances and conceding a comedy goal has happened nearly every game for the last two seasons. Even when we win.

Two years ago we went two months conceding first every game. We conceded half of the shots on target last season. We've seen god knows how many missed chances and open goals missed. Large swathes of games just sat there watching it go by with no chances.

This isn't "bad luck", it's a pattern.
How you can take all of that from an innocuous and unfortunate bounce of the ball off a forearm, I have no idea.

We had very few actual defensive lapses tonight. Even Borna looked good when tracking back and blocked several crosses. Souter was excellent. Tav, as usual, had his weaknesses but nothing outside of the penalty affected us.

Bizarre take.

Back