Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

2n6c1nl.jpg

Alex MacDonald organizes the Rangers wall in a match against them at Hampden (I think).

Was about to post it looks like Alex Miller but beaten to it.

Yes I think you, Templbluenose, and Warren Hill are all correct.
I know it was the days before squad numbers, but I can never remember Alex Miller wearing number 11 at all. Must have been one of John Greig's master plans to stifle the midfield

Crowd is given as 22,000, we were about 8 points back in the title race at the time, but ended up 5th, 11 points behind the tims in the 2 points for a win days.
Celtic style crowds given out.

Given that the East Enclosure was always busier than the West, given that both the West Enclosure and the Main Stand look fairly full, I can only imagine the 22000 was counted from the Enclosures and Main Stand.

Rangers v Partick Thistle, 1924.

Glasgow Corporation Transport opened their recreation ground at Helenvale Street, Parkhead in 1924. The Duke of York (later King George VI) performed the opening ceremony, and kicked off a match between Rangers and Thistle.

Check the fans up on the roof of the Parkhead bus garage.

skyihy.jpg

Durrant famously slots the ball home after Cooper's brilliant reverse pass to give Rangers victory at Ibrox in Souness first season.

One of my favourite moments in 50 years of attending Ibrox.

The Cooper pass was just one of those jaw dropping moments of genius that got thousands on their feet in the space of half a second.
And the Durrant finish was what that pass deserved.

Rangers v Partick Thistle, 1924.

Glasgow Corporation Transport opened their recreation ground at Helenvale Street, Parkhead in 1924. The Duke of York (later King George VI) performed the opening ceremony, and kicked off a match between Rangers and Thistle.

Here's a ticket for that match ...

The Loving Cup (I should send a copy of this to a certain pig-ignorant Glasgow councillor. Maybe he could get a grown-up to explain it to him.) ...

This is the 1st time I have seen the programme for the game -Thanks for posting.

Question regarding the statement on the front of the programme.
It states "The match WAS played" which indicates the programme was printed after the match took place or am I reading to much into this ?

Back