Our Most Disappointing Signing, Ever?

Flo - For money spent, should have been a guy who tore up our league and scored in OF games and against decent European minnows. Never really turned up in big games after his debut.

Kanchelskis - Was still an alright player for us but was expecting Kanchelskis of Man Utd/Everton. Thought he would be our best player and the best player in the league, instead he was pretty average.

Michael Ball - Big fee, England cap, up and coming young player in the EPL. A bunch of injuries and a guy who just seemed to lob it up the park.

Bert Konterman - Dutch international, regular with Feyenoord, game against Batistuta etc. Got a big bombscare jessie who couldn't defend.

Kuznetsov is a great shout.

A genuine world class defender who we got about 120 minutes out of before his knee gave way and never reached the same level ever again. In the space of a month we lost him and our captain for our central defensive options.

Arteta is another who I felt would boss midfields in Scotland, especially at £5.8m. In reality, he more often than not played like a scared little boy.

Other shouts ? Jonas Thern and Basile Boli. The money we spent on Thern in particular is eye watering.

Wasnt Thern on something like £40k a week back in the 90s thats an eye watering amount

At times you could see the class he had at times but in effect he was done as a player when we signed him

Does Negri count? After that first half season I thought he was going to be an absolute superstar and then it just all kind of fizzled out.

I fucking hate that term
Same, It certainly was not banter as we struggled to survive and were ravaged by crook after crook. I'm just glad me and my son stuck it out because he was at the age he could have easily lost interest.
I block these memories from my mind but when we get 55 I'll cast my mind back and smile contentedly at all the bitter bastards throughout the country who tried to kill us off.

A genuine world class defender who we got about 120 minutes out of before his knee gave way and never reached the same level ever again. In the space of a month we lost him and our captain for our central defensive options.

Arteta is another who I felt would boss midfields in Scotland, especially at £5.8m. In reality, he more often than not played like a scared little boy.

Other shouts ? Jonas Thern and Basile Boli. The money we spent on Thern in particular is eye watering.

I thought Thern was a Bosman?

Can't agree with you on Arteta. Scared little boys don't slot home penalties to win leagues.

Not sure players that came and then got injured is a fare assessment. Not really their fault if the injury doesn't go away.

Konterman, Capucho are the worst two for me.

Does Negri count? After that first half season I thought he was going to be an absolute superstar and then it just all kind of fizzled out.
Negri really came from nowhere and then went straight back to nowhere. Other than that five months for us in 1997, his career was pretty uneventful.

This is the one.
A really superb footballer who would not have looked out of place in any side of that era.
I suspect he was an accident waiting to happen although who could've predicted it would be in only his second game.

I have huge frustration over Rozental. He really would have gone on to be a great striker for us and then ultimately at a higher level.

Only a terrible injury cost us and him dear.

I remember Rozental arriving and hearing he was an even better player than Salas who was doing brilliant in Serie A. Then I seen him running out for his debut and I remember thinking he looks fat, slow and unfit which he was for his entire Rangers career. The injuries obviously didn't help either .

The ongoing Grezda and Peña debates have me thinking. (Neither are, clearly).

Who’s been our most disappointing signing?

Not the worst, or shittest player we have ever had, but someone we brought in, whom you thought would take the club and league by storm?

I remember thinking Guivarc'h would run riot.

The guy had won the WC. Looked really crap.

Boli? He was seen as a superstar. He wasn’t crap, but he should have strolled it and helped us in Europe.

Let’s be having them.

Fair enough thread to create this thread but very poor indeed to even mention a current player who has been suffering from injuries apart from anything else, or indeed any other current player.

You may get panned if he comes good !

Possibly David Templeton , signed for £500 000 plus , when money was extremely tight . Came straight after scoring against Liverpool in Europa league. Never forfilled potential with us due to injury after injury .

I had high hopes for boli. Genuinely thought he would take us to the next level. I don't think our system helped him, but he was a big plodder.

Ian Murray - I thought he was going to become a legend for Rangers and was a Scotland captain in waiting.

Prodan. Kutsnetsov. Ball. Konterman. Flo. Christiansen. Beattie.

£32m or thereabouts down the drain.

What were you expecting when we signed him from Motherwell?

He wasn’t knocking on the door of any England squads ffs.

giphy.gif

What were you expecting when we signed him from Motherwell?

He wasn’t knocking on the door of any England squads ffs.

For some reason I thought he was born in England.

Also according to wiki we paid Leicester £150k for him. A sizeable sum for a defender in 1980.

Bruno alves. Came with so much hype and promise, also a massive wage bill. Failed in all regards

Last edited:
Basil Boli for me, especially coming from that Marseille team that we were so familiar with from a couple of season previous. Have to mention Marco Negri as well for the spectacular fall from grace after a spectacular first half of the season, expected so much and got feck all.

For most of the others mentioned, not much was expected so the disappointment can’t be too high.

I'm ready to be shot down here, but at a reported four million pounds, big Colin Hendry was nothing special.
I've had a look at Wikipedia and if this is correct, he scored 22 times in 102 appearances for Blackburn and failed to score for us in 22 appearances.
22? Surely he played more times than that.

Basile Boli for me. Was really excited when he arrived. To be fair, did Walter not shunt the Champions' League winning centre half to right back?

Back