Our Most Disappointing Signing, Ever?

That’s why I’m quite cynical about Negri these days. Now his career has ended, he’s realised we are by far the biggest thing on his CV and is now trying to play up on his Rangers connection in the media. He spent most of his tenure with us looking like he couldn’t wait to get out the door.
Some fans just lap up anyone and everyone that ever pulled on the shirt.

He's paraded like some sort of god in certain quarters and probably is a decent enough guy but the word legend and the likes of him doesn't fit for me

That’s why I’m quite cynical about Negri these days. Now his career has ended, he’s realised we are by far the biggest thing on his CV and is now trying to play up on his Rangers connection in the media. He spent most of his tenure with us looking like he couldn’t wait to get out the door.
Have you read his book?

Claims he really always loved Rangers and still does, but he was poisoned towards us by Amoruso undermining him.

Four pages in and I haven't noticed any mention of Maurice Johnston.

Does this mean we're not the bitter, Catholic hating bigots that the Scottish press would have everyone believe?!!
I don’t think Mojo would be on anyone’s lists of disappointing from a value on the park perspective.

Sure, there’s an argument to be had as to whether he fulfilled his promise, and there’s certainly an argument to be had as to whether the effect of his signing was positive in the long term, but he was good enough to keep Ally out of the starting line up for a while. He did a job.

He's paraded like some sort of god in certain quarters and probably is a decent enough guy but the word legend and the likes of him doesn't fit for me
I think he fascination with Negri is more the “what might have been” aspect of it. Both from he perspective of the man himself and our run for the Ten. The bloody squash ball ended both.

Kuznetsov is a great shout.

A genuine world class defender who we got about 120 minutes out of before his knee gave way and never reached the same level ever again. In the space of a month we lost him and our captain for our central defensive options.

Arteta is another who I felt would boss midfields in Scotland, especially at £5.8m. In reality, he more often than not played like a scared little boy.

Other shouts ? Jonas Thern and Basile Boli. The money we spent on Thern in particular is eye watering.

We got a bit out of Arteta, but aye I agree he looked terrified in games against the Tims, scored a goal but that was down to Rab Douglas.

Beattie and Jeffers had been borderline tragic for long enough before we signed them. I had no expectations for them and rememebr arguing with folk on here who for some reason thought they would be anything other than woeful.

Mladenovic was a ridiculous disappointment. Had quite a few caps for Serbia, experts raving about him, and I think was our only paid signing that Summer. The guy genuinely had no qualities and looked like he had never played before. He was utterly honking.

boli, capucho, ostenstad,Gayle,jeffers,Bernard, prodan,emerson, niko k, Barton, alves are all players who disapointed massively for me.
I was very pleased when they where signed all shit in different ways

Have you read his book?

Claims he really always loved Rangers and still does, but he was poisoned towards us by Amoruso undermining him.

Yes. I don’t believe him. His actions and the general way he carried himself through most of his time were not those of someone who loved the club.

He’s just realised his Rangers spell is the most marketable part of his CV and is trying to cash in on the blue pound.

Last edited:
I think there's a distinction between most disappointing and worst.

Worst would be someone like Michael Ball - £6.5m, IIRC, from which we got the sum total of hee haw on the park and nada back in the bank when he finally moved on.

Peña runs him close given that in relative terms £2.5m could be argued to be a proportionally similar outlay to Ball's fee yet there were already huge danger signs flashing above his napper yet we still went ahead with his signing and got precisely what we'd been warned we'd get.

As for frustrating, there's some good shouts there in big Dunc, Kuznetsov, Flo, etc, but actually, I was always most frustrated by Mikhailichenko.

He'd been the captain of the Soviet Union and Dynamo Kiev, looked a classy midfielder for Sampdoria when Serie A was the best league on the planet, yet he never quite delivered for us.

Sure there were some good performances and some great goals - he certainly wasn't a failure - but I genuinely thought we were getting one of the best midfielders in Europe when we signed him (for a then club record, if I'm not mistaken), a guy who'd sit in the middle and pull the strings for us domestically and on the continent, yet Smith saw fit to shove him out on the left wing for the most part and we never really saw the best of him as a result.

Bruno alves. Came with so much hype and promise, also a massive wage bill. Failed in all regards

On paper we had a current Portuguese international who has cost massive transfer fee's, alongside an ex Scottish international who had been playing at a decent level. You would have thought the wrong players had turned up. Although, Alves was a million times better than Russell Martin.

Emilson Cribari he was once a regular starter for Lazio in Serie A and couldn't even handle the irn bru 3rd division fucking rotten

Daniel Prodan has to be up there, surely?

We paid £2.2 million for him back in 1998 and he never made a single appearance.

If there’s a more disappointing signing than that then you’ll have to convince me.

Yep, came on to post the same. Great pedigree, but a disaster of a signing

Clement was decent.

He was a young lad from France.

It’s fashionable to say he was shite, but he actually did well.

He was the only one (even taking Papac into consideration) that was considered a success at the time was he not? I remember thinking he looked like a good player and being disappointed that he left.

Clement was decent.

He was a young lad from France.

It’s fashionable to say he was shite, but he actually did well.
In what way did he do well? he was a complete non entity, yes he ran about, but I can not remember his making a decent forward pass, creating a goal scoring oppertunity, let alone get into any forward areas. It was lauded as some sort of coup that Le Guen managed to sign him yet he contributed the sum of hee haw to the team! I remember saying to my mate (and him actually for once agreeing with me) that he has to be Le Guen's love child, and sure enough when Le Guen went, who followed, he didn't hang about to be found out by Walter Smith.

In what way did he do well? he was a complete non entity, yes he ran about, but I can not remember his making a decent forward pass, creating a goal scoring oppertunity, let alone get into any forward areas. It was lauded as some sort of coup that Le Guen managed to sign him yet he contributed the sum of hee haw to the team! I remember saying to my mate (and him actually for once agreeing with me) that he has to be Le Guen's love child, and sure enough when Le Guen went, who followed, he didn't hang about to be found out by Walter Smith.
None of what you highlight was his game. He was a decent midfielder whose job was to retain possession - we had Buffel and Ferguson further forward to do what you’re suggesting Clement should have done. I was disappointed he left but we replaced him with Kevin Thomson who arguably did the same job to a better standard and had an aggressive streak.

Ever considered he wasn’t an attacking midfielder?

He was a deep lying, possession based ball player, who could also tackle.

He wasn’t aggressive, but he wasn’t some wee blouse that is often a claim thrown at him.

He was decent against the mentally challengeds at Ibrox from memory.

Smith went and got Thomson, which was great. However, if you’re a young lad, the guy who’s signed you has gone and they’ve brought in a local lad in your position, would you not likely head home as well?

For a young lad at a million quid, I don’t remember feeling massively short changed.

Hard to get past Kuznetsov. He was genuinely world class and in his game for us he absolutely strolled it.
Celtic 2-4 Rangers on New Years Day. He would have been a giant for us...and then that day at St Johnstone Gutted for him and us. Probably Prodan and Rosenthal fall into the same misfortune category.

In terms of disappointment and it was self inflicted, big Dunc and Stephane Guivarche for me. Rangers was just too much for Ferguson as he proved both before and after being at Ibrox. It probably meant too much for the big man and he was better away from Scotland. As for Guivarche, he was a World Cup winner for heavens sake, and one destructive game against St Johnstone apart, he was horrible. Thought we had won a watch that night, then nothing. Unreal.

I agree with you on Negri, certainly not a legend, he only played for 6 months really. I did enjoy everyone of his 35 goals though unlike him. I guess he falls into the disappointment category of what might have been.

Flo.

Every time I see any mention of threads like this I think of Flo.

I truly felt he was sensational with Chelsea. Thought signing him for £12m was going to win us a Champions League.

All I felt we ever got from him was one equalising goal v the scum and a whole load of 3rd or 4th goals in games we’d already won.

Can’t recall him ever doing a Coisty or Albertz and coming up with a vital deadlock breaking or winning goal.

Huge disappointment to me and it’s nothing to do with the cost of him. It was my own expectations and what he actually delivered that got to me.

Sebo - we spent about 2 million and expected more
Rothen - im sure he was the first signing in a year for us, plus he had been really good for monaco

Matt mckay - he was talked up as being a good player in Australia, he didnt really get a chance

The most disappointing for me have been:

Capucho - Wage thief of the highest order. He should and could have achieved a good few trophies with us but he was replaced by Nacho Novo who went onto to great things with us.

Joey Barton - Big reputation, big let down. Not sure what the bread man was thinking playing him as a creative midfielder as he was never anything more than a defensive midfielder. Fell out with the manager (who was also a disappointment).

Senderos - Another with a decent reputation but couldn't hack the pace and physicality.

Ian Black - supposed to run our midfield but he was cowardly.

A few have been let downs due to injury so not really their fault: Prodan and Rozenthal.

Not a let down by any means but never made a 100% recovery which was a let down - Mols. One of my favourite players and his injury was heart breaking.

He’s been mentioned a few times but for me it’s Joey Barton.

Signed from a promoted Burnley as their player of the year and one of the Championship’s players of the year and he offered up jack shit for us. Really expected so much more from him.

I’m lucky enough not to remember Boli, Prodan etc really haha.

Boli had a fantastic CV before coming to us and I thought he would have strolled the league plus gave us a better chance in Europe.

Only decent game he played for us was against the mentally challengeds in the league game when we won at Hampden.

In fairness to him he never looked comfortable with the 3 at the back that Smith employed,but playing him at right back at home to Aek Athens was one of the most bizarre decisions made by a Gers manager in a game we needed to keep the back door shut

Back