Our Most Disappointing Signing, Ever?

For me personally it was Prodan. I remember watching him when we played Steaua Bucharest in the Champions League and he looked class, he was also a Romanian international at a time when they were really good.

Steaua probably couldn’t believe they got over £2million for a guy with a totally gubbed knee.

Massive tin hat on here, but one excellent season out of four from Ronald de Boer was a very poor return from a player with a huge reputation and probably a huge wage to match.
While I agree he cost us a lot he was excellent when fit and we did at least get 1 really good season out of him before his knees gave out, there’s others who gave us far far less than him.

All of the above but Thern really disappointed me as I probably expected too much. He was on his last legs as a player when he arrived but I was expecting this complete all action midfielder. Great player in his day.

Worst signing since the invention of the wheel.

Ally Maxwell.

You think a back-up 'keeper who contributed enough to earn a league winner's medal in each of his 3 years at the club was the most disappointing signing in Rangers' history. I'm really curious as to why you think that. Did you expect him to be better than Woods or Goram?

Edit: Just seen Partickgers' post about him. Can see your point :D

For me, the most disappointing signing was Tore Andre Flo. Like most, I thought he'd score for fun in Scottish football but he sadly failed to live up to the expectations based on his reputation and massive transfer fee.

The most disappointing "What could have been" has to be Negri. Phenomenal half season then nothing.

Last edited:
Negri really came from nowhere and then went straight back to nowhere. Other than that five months for us in 1997, his career was pretty uneventful.

That’s why I’m quite cynical about Negri these days. Now his career has ended, he’s realised we are by far the biggest thing on his CV and is now trying to play up on his Rangers connection in the media. He spent most of his tenure with us looking like he couldn’t wait to get out the door.

As a boy my biggest disappointment was definitely Seb Rozental. Long haired, South American striker sounded extremely glamorous on paper. Pretty sure I can remember him scoring his debut goal at home to St. Johnstone.

But knee injury after knee injury and it just never happened.

That’s why I’m quite cynical about Negri these days. Now his career has ended, he’s realised we are by far the biggest thing on his CV and is now trying to play up on his Rangers connection in the media. He spent most of his tenure with us looking like he couldn’t wait to get out the door.

This

Ian Black/Fran Sandaza/Big Kyle from the perspective that it was disappointing that the world's most successful club had been reduced to such abhorrent shite.

Basil Boli from the perspective that he should have been MUCH better than he actually was.

Templeton was probably the most highly rated young player in Scotland since Barry Ferguson and has amounted to absolutely nothing

He was never remotely that highly rated...teams weren’t beating down Hearts door to sign him

Yep, though we ended up in the embarrassing situation of not playing him to avoid triggering the final 500k of that.

Just read about it. He ended up out for 18 months then when he came back, as he was approaching 60 games which would trigger the remaining £500k, he ended up playing 4 games in 4 months until an agreement was reached with Everton. Shambles.

Just read about it. He ended up out for 18 months then when he came back, as he was approaching 60 games which would trigger the remaining £500k, he ended up playing 4 games in 4 months until an agreement was reached with Everton. Shambles.
Murray totally embarrassed us over going to Everton and asking for a discount

What were you expecting when we signed him from Motherwell?

He wasn’t knocking on the door of any England squads ffs.

FFS ? I take it you don't agree, he was a hammer thrower and I believe he broke a players leg before we binned him, anyhow this is a forum so am allowed my say so away and geez peace

FFS ? I take it you don't agree, he was a hammer thrower and I believe he broke a players leg before we binned him, anyhow this is a forum so am allowed my say so away and geez peace

No mate, I really didn’t like Gregor either but it’s a strange choice for most disappointing signing ever.

I don’t remember there being a great expectation about him.

Flo
He was brilliant and turned up all the time. A myth that he was bad.

What you've wrote is just a myth. He wasn't brilliant and didn't turn up all the time.

Flo had a good goal scoring record but he scored 1 goal in Europe in 7 games and 1 goal against them.

He was to be the difference in those games and that's why he was a dissapointment. £12 million for a guy who was marginally better than Billy Dodds.

No mate, I really didn’t like Gregor either but it’s a strange choice for most disappointing signing ever.

I don’t remember there being a great expectation about him.

Am old as I know about Gregor, my short term memory is away but my long term is still okay, so that's my excuse cheers

For me it’s a bizarre set of Duncan Ferguson, Basile Boli, Trevor Francis, Oleg Kutznetzov, Joey Barton, David Templeton and Charlie Miller (waiting for the purists to moan)...

A combination of square pegs for round holes, injury, the feeling that it was all a bit beneath them, a shite work ethic and thinking they had done it all by getting into the Rangers first team dressing room and lacking the mentality required to succeed at Rangers.

Thinking a bit more about it - Peter Van Vossen is exactly the type of player who should really have been a roaring success at Ibrox. Talented, seemed quite tough mentally - almost to the point of being detached. Him and Laudrup playing as a strike partnership from the wings and cutting in should have terrorised defences.

Flo is an interesting one. His scoring record stands up to inspection... I always felt the problem was more the perception that at 6ft plus he should be rag-dolling defences. He was never that player, he was very quick and skilful with his feet... and just happened to be really tall.

I think Kanchelskis was a good player for a Rangers. Certainly past his peak but weighed in with goals, assists and some great flashes of skill.

Last edited:
Flo
You think a back-up 'keeper who contributed enough to earn a league winner's medal in each of his 3 years at the club was the most disappointing signing in Rangers' history. I'm really curious as to why you think that. Did you expect him to be better than Woods or Goram?

Edit: Just seen Partickgers' post about him. Can see your point :D

For me, the most disappointing signing was Tore Andre Flo. Like most, I thought he'd score for fun in Scottish football but he sadly failed to live up to the expectations based on his reputation and massive transfer fee.

The most disappointing "What could have been" has to be Negri. Phenomenal half season then nothing.
Tore Andre Flo got 29 goals in 52 games for us.... Hugely under achieved for the price tag but his goals to games ratio wasn't too bad. I remember being at the piggory when he hit the post and if that went in could ha e been different for him

Templeton was probably the most highly rated young player in Scotland since Barry Ferguson and has amounted to absolutely nothing
Deary me. I’m not saying Templeton was great at all but he was never the most highly rated player in Scotland, he was a million miles from being rated as good as Barry.

Deary me. I’m not saying Templeton was great at all but he was never the most highly rated player in Scotland, he was a million miles from being rated as good as Barry.
Most highly rated *young* player

he was at the time of signing him

Agreed. The gravy train for ex-Rangers players seems like a nice life and if the guy had shown an ounce of the feeling for the club that we see now while he had his boots on it would have been nice.

Most highly rated *young* player

he was at the time of signing him
Good grief, Ferguson, a player who forced himself into a midfield containing Van Bronckhurst, Albertz, Reyna, performed admirably at age 20/21 against Scholes, Beckham, Matthaus, Dino Baggio, et al. Against David Templeton who famously gave a chasing to Steven Whittaker? Right ye are.

Good grief, Ferguson, a player who forced himself into a midfield containing Van Bronckhurst, Albertz, Reyna, performed admirably at age 20/21 against Scholes, Beckham, Matthaus, Dino Baggio, et al. Against David Templeton who famously gave a chasing to Steven Whittaker? Right ye are.
I didn't compare him to Barry Ferguson as a player, learn how to read.

I said at the time he generated the most excitement regarding his future since Ferguson.

Basil Boli for me.
I thought he would be a huge success and was actually not all that excited about the other guy from Denmark ;-)
To be fair to him I don't think Walter helped him much.

Agreed. The gravy train for ex-Rangers players seems like a nice life and if the guy had shown an ounce of the feeling for the club that we see now while he had his boots on it would have been nice.

The value of the blue pound.

I really loved my time at Rangers, honestly! We are the people. Please buy my book.

Libor Sionko. Absolutely tore arsenal and other top clubs apart in the CL. really don't know what happened with us

I’ve just thought of James Beattie as well.

If I remember right he was the first player we paid a fee for about 2 years!? And it was about £1m. One of the first signings of Walter’s second spell.

Absolute waste of a jersey who never looked fit from day 1 and looked like a payoff waiting to happen from the minute he walked in the door.

Muscat for personal reasons, when we signed him I told every c.unt that wanted to listen he would be great for us.

Deservedly so I got an absolute roasting!

But it’s Prodan.

Some very strange choices on here.

For me it's Barton. On our way back and after years of signing other people's garbage, we sign The Championship POTY. A heck of a signing and what we believed to be the first step in getting back to our rightful place at the top.

Guy was a disaster and an embarrassment.

Back