Chick Young calls out seperation at school age

lest be honest here

its not about RC schools...its about WEST OF SCOTLAND RC schools!!!! and the west of scotland chip on the shoulder catholics!
???????
Funnily that seems to be the entire basis of the RC argument for retaining their schools. No other country in the world has a problem with them.

Town were am from recently built a new super school were the 4 schools including 3 primary n academy the local catholic primary demanded and got a separate entrance

Town were am from recently built a new super school were the 4 schools including 3 primary n academy the local catholic primary demanded and got a separate entrance
We have one in Dumbarton and I personally find it disturbing, I actually think this is another part of their long game to take over.
Sorry my mistake it’s a joint primary school which is about 100 mts from their secondary school.

The elephant in the room. I've tried to debate this issue in the past (withe supposedly educated individuals) and the best they could do was
1. RC schools have an excellent educational record.
Eh, should all children not have a right to receive the same standard?
2. I wouldn't like to see the influence of 'the church' diluted.
And I should have to pay for this why?
Joint schooling isn't a panacea but it is a start. The current system is not sustainable.
Sorry heard this shot about rc schools and excellent education record before. How come the prison population is diproportionaly catholic?

England is having problems with separate schooling for another religion

English papes are a different breed from the Irish republican scum that infects Scotland and NI.
That’s the difference, and possibly similar to the current religious problems in England, albeit with a different culture in their case.

Kids play happily with other until school then it can end abruptly,
It's madness to pay out our taxation for two schools next to each other just because one is religious and the other isn't, Especially when councils are slashing budgets and council tax costs are going up. Having two schools on the same bloody campus (hate this American word for some reason) is irresponsible cost prohibitive economic madness and environmentally criminal.

It’s ridiculous in this day and age, if you want your kids to learn about religion then that should be up to parents.We have a shared campus here, kids all go in one door then separate into their own school, two headteachers, deputy heads, could be saving so much on wages alone. Do you we fund schools for all religions/ faiths?

Seem to recall reading somewhere that Gerrard is NOT a catholic but went to a catholic school on the recommendation of his football coach because they had a better football team.Don’t think I dreamed this up although I can’t Pinpoint it just now.Think it might be in his book and somebody recently quoted from it.

I am not a religious person. Went to Primary School in Bishopbriggs - Wester Cleddens, half my frineds went there the other half went to St Matthews. The schools were/are separated by a fence. WTF! Madness. I had no idea why some of my pals were going to one school and some of us were going to another, but then we found out that they were 'Kaffies' and we were 'Proddies' - no fckn idea what that meant - but it meant we were different from them and them from us. Meant the dafties on either side( but mainly most people at some point) had something to latch onto e.g name calling, fights etc etc. Creating this divide and that mindset at that early an age will remain in some forever. Needs to change, no debate!

If the Scottish Green Party was really serious about ending apartheid schooling in Scotland, they could have used that as a bargaining point in the recent ScotGov budget negotiations, instead of introducing charging for parking spaces at workplaces!!

Deep down every single adult in Scotland knows that apartheid schooling is at the very heart of the sectarian problems we have in this country whether they admit it or not!
The biggest issue is that not one single political party will call for the abolition of catholic schools as they know it will cost them the ENTIRE catholic vote and none of them would be prepared to commit political suicide by even suggesting it.
The papists have every political party in Scotland by the balls on this issue.
It's sickening!

There are RC schools all over the word and there isn't the issues we have here...it's just the people we have here are educated "differently" plus a lady's front bottom educated at a non denominational school or RC school is still a lady's front bottom.

Regular church attendance in scotland is under 10 per cent so how the hell can denominational schools be justified. irrespectIve of any problems they may caused socially.

Too many people think that those schools only exist in the West of Scotland and NI. They are all over the UK and exist without a problem. Our own manager went to one . The issue is deeply ingrained and it’s not going to change by making the schooling different. I honestly don’t know the religion of workmates, neighbours or my kids friends. When I lived back home I knew everybody’s from the postie to the paperboy.

81% of schools in England are non denominational, with the remaining percentage split between CoE and Roman Catholic.

Its simply incomparable to the density of the split in the West of Scotland where it is basically 50/50.

My sister in law was a teacher at Holyrood for near on 17 years & when the head of the department retired she thought she should have been a shoe in for the principle roll .NAW because she was not an RC she was not allowed to even apply for the job
Shocking but that's the way it was,she left & took up a similar position at Hillhead it still bugs me to this day how they get away from this form of apartheid

Looks like Chick has did a 'Hugh Keevins' here and decided to speak out on the issue, despite ignoring it for some 40 - 50 years.

40 - 50 years when they both had a major platform in the print mhedia and both had a national platform in the broadcast mhedia.

Now, and only now, in the dying embers of their fading mhedia 'careers' have the spineless cowards found the courage to open their mouths on the subject ....... after someone else had to raise the issue for them first.

The angle that's always ignored in discussions like this is ethnicity.

In Scotland - particularly the West - the Roman Catholic faith is inextricably linked to presumed Irish ancestry, even if this is increasingly tenuous. As we are all too well aware, the Irish dimension is entrenched by the existence of Celtic FC. Of course, some would argue that Celtic FC has come to symbolise violent Irish republicanism rather than genuine Irishness.

As in the case of the Church of Scotland since the 50s, attendances at RC churches have nose-dived. As Tom Devine admits, Scottish Catholics increasingly tend to view themselves as being 'Catholic' in a cultural and not spiritual sense.

So when we hear politicians like Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon singing the praises of Catholic schools they are being completely disingenuous. Their primary function nowadays is to perpetuate an ethno-religious divide with far greater emphasis on 'ethno' than 'religious', even if that can never be conceded publicly.

Or, to put it another way, the purpose of Catholic schools in west-central Scotland is to act as a conveyor belt supplying an endless stream of Celtic supporters, indulged by Labour and SNP politicians who view their votes as crucial.

Too many people think that those schools only exist in the West of Scotland and NI. They are all over the UK and exist without a problem. Our own manager went to one . The issue is deeply ingrained and it’s not going to change by making the schooling different. I honestly don’t know the religion of workmates, neighbours or my kids friends. When I lived back home I knew everybody’s from the postie to the paperboy.

They don't work here.

81% of schools in England are non denominational, with the remaining percentage split between CoE and Roman Catholic.

Its simply incomparable to the density of the split in the West of Scotland where it is basically 50/50.

There is no way it is 50/50.

East Ayrshire as an example only has about 4 maybe 5 Catholic primaries and one secondary. There are 41 primaries in East Ayrshire and 8 secondary schools.

The wife works in a non Dom school
A work colleague who lives 200 yards from the school has her own kids picked up by taxi every morning and taken 8 mikes to a catholic school
Oh and you and I pay for this taxi

Good enough place for her to work but not send her kids

Brainwashed lunacy

Most conflicts in the world are caused by religion , so why should we pay for it here in the shape of state funded seperate schools.
Sectarianism in this country only seems to be reported as a one way problem, which if anything inflames the problem more.
If any more proof is needed just look at the even handed reporting (ahem) of the last week to see where this is heading.

Right so this week alone we have had one set of fans,
1. Hit a player with a coin while subjecting that player to sectarian abuse due to his perceived religious beliefs.
2. Break hundreds of seats and have a mini pitch invasion.
3. Attack a elderly fan of Kilmarnock.
4. Sing songs glorifying a prescribed terrorist organisation both at home and abroad.
5. Video a what looks like a 5 year old boy singing about a Rangers employee being a orange bastard and 'hoping he dies' while around about 100 adults sing along and egg him on.
6. Fans group claim that they fire bombed a Rangers pub in Spain with pictures showing fire damage to the pub.
7. Fans filmed throwing bottles and chairs and even (strangely) shouting sectarian abuse at Spanish police resulting in arrests.
8. A fan arrested for possession of Crystal Meth in Spain.
9. Graffiti in the town centre calling supporters of another team 'Hun Scum' (a weekly occurrence these days).
10. 3 supporters arrested for sending a ref abuse after their team lost a game.

We have in the same week had another set of fans,

1. Sing the 'cheer up' song to a opposition manager once.

Guess what has caused the bigger media and political reaction?

Nobody in this country can claim with a straight face that there isn't a media or political agenda against one club and its fans.

There is no way it is 50/50.

East Ayrshire as an example only has about 4 maybe 5 Catholic primaries and one secondary. There are 41 primaries in East Ayrshire and 8 secondary schools.

I didn’t look up the figures, I was just basing it on what I see in Glasgow and it seems an even split here.

I’ll try and get proper figures.

There are RC schools all over the word and there isn't the issues we have here...it's just the people we have here are educated "differently" plus a lady's front bottom educated at a non denominational school or RC school is still a lady's front bottom.

I tend to agree with this point . I don’t agree with chic young .

However there’s no way RC schools should be state funded . The RC church should be paying for them , end of story . They can have as many faith schools as they want , RC , Muslim , jewish or whatever , but the churches and parents should be paying NOT the taxpayer.

I think it’s lazy as Fck to say catholic/faith schools cause people to shout “ 19th Century Terrorist bastard, orange bastard “ and so forth when they attend football matches 40 years after leaving school . :D

I remember back at the height of the troubles a commentator saying the only way to solve the problem would be to take children away from their parents for a generation and have them grow up together. A very extreme viewpoint but in essence the person was really pointing to ending the segregation in schools which was one of the roots of the problem. Its far easier to demonize a community when youve never met someone from that community. There can surely be no sane person who would doubt the quickest and most effective way of eliminating real sectarianism would be for kids to go to school together. Instead of taking them away from their parents, you remove the parent's right to choose what school their kids go to on religous grounds alone. This should be standard in the 21st century. One educational system, the best that can possibly be given, instead of syphoning off money to promote separate schools which promote certain questiuonable religous beliefs. Kids could elect a class in religious studies as a compromise, however I believe religion should not only be separate from government, but education too. If people want to raise their kids with a certain belief they should do it on Sundays as a family.

I think it would eradicate the problem massively and fairly quickly. Take religion and indocrination out of the schools, kids will realize there's not much difference and friendships will develop preventing a sectarian divide. It's what the catholic church and the bigots that run it are afraid of as their rotten religion will be eradicated from Scottish society.
Sickening that the current Scottish Govt has sold it's soul on this issue to appease and ensure the FBs votes. Not representative of the Scottish people and they get away with it due to a biased and bigoted MSM in this country, led by Pacific Quay CSC. Hopefully the majority will waken up and drive this cancer out of Scotland before it s too late.

This is why they will never get a republican Scotland.
Most non RCs are wary of the negative impact on them in the event the republicans gain power but hey let them keep wooing the RC vote and demonising Rangers fans it keeps us in the Union IMO.

I tend to agree with this point . I don’t agree with chic young .

However there’s no way RC schools should be state funded . The RC church should be paying for them , end of story . They can have as many faith schools as they want , RC , Muslim , jewish or whatever , but the churches and parents should be paying NOT the taxpayer.

I think it’s lazy as Fck to say catholic/faith schools cause people to shout “ 19th Century Terrorist bastard, orange bastard “ and so forth when they attend football matches 40 years after leaving school . :D

Wrong.
I returned back to my home town a few weeks ago for a funeral, in a normal pub with mixed friends. Guy walks up and starts laying off to friends I hadn’t seen in about thirty years, “how can you lot can stand there with those Brit bastards”.
Even the people I class as friends, or a better word would be old acquaintances, are still getting indoctrinated, vilified and harassed in pubs throughout the west of Scotland, just because they knew who we were and what we were back for.
I wouldn’t turn my back to any of them. They are scum to a man, and woman, all caused by sectarian schools, from over thirty years ago.

Wrong.
I returned back to my home town a few weeks ago for a funeral, in a normal pub with mixed friends. Guy walks up and starts laying off to friends I hadn’t seen in about thirty years, “how can you lot can stand there with those Brit bastards”.
Even the people I class as friends, or a better word would be old acquaintances, are still getting indoctrinated, vilified and harassed in pubs throughout the west of Scotland, just because they knew who we were and what we were back for.
I wouldn’t turn my back to any of them. They are scum to a man, and woman, all caused by sectarian schools, from over thirty years ago.

I know for a fact that schools some of my nieces and nephews go to , RC schools and non denominational, don’t teach people to hit out with “ Brit bastards “ so it sounds like that guy was just a total fcking arsehole . He’d have been an arsehole no matter the school he attended .

My sister in law was a teacher at Holyrood for near on 17 years & when the head of the department retired she thought she should have been a shoe in for the principle roll .NAW because she was not an RC she was not allowed to even apply for the job
Shocking but that's the way it was,she left & took up a similar position at Hillhead it still bugs me to this day how they get away from this form of apartheid
‘Pastoral care.’

It’s a disgrace they get out of it with this pish.

The wife works in a non Dom school
A work colleague who lives 200 yards from the school has her own kids picked up by taxi every morning and taken 8 mikes to a catholic school
Oh and you and I pay for this taxi

Good enough place for her to work but not send her kids

Brainwashed lunacy
Why does the state pay the taxi fare?

I know for a fact that schools some of my nieces and nephews go to , RC schools and non denominational, don’t teach people to hit out with “ Brit bastards “ so it sounds like that guy was just a total fcking arsehole . He’d have been an arsehole no matter the school he attended .

It isn't the schools themselves that cause this sort of behaviour but the division they perpetuate within society.

It’s called indoctrination. The schools are not “teaching” it. They way they separate 5 year olds is the catalyst for the views they hold in later life. Kids don’t want to offend anyone or get in trouble, but if you are subjected to the constant barrages of ‘one is good, one is bad’ then it’s quite easy to pick a side. Yours.

I work in an RC school. In a variety of way they are the exact same as any other school I have worked in. The ethos is treating everyone as equal and at no point is hating Protestants a curricular point for teachers to deliver. Almost everyone ignores the school prayer over the tannoynand continues to work.

However, it does serve to ‘cocoon’ views. Pupils play rebel music in the dinner hall (which is reprimanded by teachers). Just like in some non-denoms the loyalists tunes get played - I remember that when I was a pupil.

The issue per se isn’t RC schools as an institution but rather that children are divided.

Last edited:
It’s called indoctrination. The schools are not “teaching” it. They way they separate 5 year olds is the catalyst for the views they hold in later life. Kids don’t want to offend anyone or get in trouble, but if you are subjected to the constant barrages of ‘one is good, one is bad’ then it’s quite easy to pick a side. Yours.

I don’t disagree it can affect people already being taught intolerance at home but answer me this , why do faith schools outside of Scotland seem to do absolutely fine ? Schools south of the border ? If kids aren’t taught by their parents to respect other people’s views even if differing from theirs then that’s where the problem lies IMO.

Having briefly played in the same amateur team as Chico many many moons ago let me assure that although on this occasion the bold boy is 100% correct most things he utters are purely attention seeking. In journalistic circles he has been seen as a joke figure for many years.

I don’t disagree it can affect people already being taught intolerance at home but answer me this , why do faith schools outside of Scotland seem to do absolutely fine ? Schools south of the border ? If kids aren’t taught by their parents to respect other people’s views even if differing from theirs then that’s where the problem lies IMO.

This point has been addressed.

England doesn't really have anything resembling the sectarian division seen in the west of Scotland, apart from the Liverpool area.

In Scotland there are effectively only two streams within a comprehensive system. In England there is a wide variety of schools available and in any case many view 'faith' schools as simply a means of getting a better education for their kids.

As I've pointed out, the so-called 'religious' divide in Scotland is really an ethno-religious divide. Roman Catholicism in Scotland is very strongly linked with Irish ancestry and bolstered by the existence of Celtic FC. There is no parallel in England.

I haven’t mentioned what goes on in these kids home life. I’m sure they go out to play with all the children around the area, like normal kids. The next morning, one child goes one way to school, the other a different direction.
The parents went through the exact same thing. They and them. Us and ours. Yet none of these ‘parents’ ask the question “why are my children travelling to a different school?”
All down to which building you don’t attend on a Sunday.

Back