Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...say-victims-of-abuse-at-feeder-club-fc7hgm05g

Fans must press Celtic for apology, say victims of abuse at feeder club
Marc Horne
August 7 2019, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F35bd672e-b86a-11e9-bfc4-f5ff1f47234e.jpg

Celtic FC insists that it is not legally culpable for the abuse at the boys’ clubJAN KRUGER/UEFA/GETTY IMAGES

Save

The vast majority of Celtic fans refuse to accept their club should pay out anything to the victims. If the lawyers representing them can't understand this simple fact, then that does not fill me with confidence they are up to the task ahead.

Last edited:
Give us substance in what he says.

Reveal the extent of the number of victims thus far (sheer scale and counting), give an idea when he would expect formal action against them. Something to inspire, lift the spirits of the victims and supporters and set the beads rattling in the pineapples.

Cat among the pigeons and put them on the back foot.

And some hard hitting demands to take the wind right out of there bloated sails and have them spluttering.

Reading the posts from early this morning I am struck by how recent additions to this forum seem intent on sowing dissension and disheartenedness in our ranks. Subtly, but surely, with crocodile tears and staunchness, Hollicom does its job.

Litigation takes time. There are lots of "i"s to be dotted and "t"s to be crossed and one silly mistake can derail the whole process. Complainants and witnesses, not necessarily the same people, will be being examined by Maguire and his team to try to ensure that the stories add up. Simple errors could cost the whole case

Additionally there will be a few con-men trying it on too. Just look at Grenfell.

Last edited:
I've never said it's about us nor do I believe I'm showing impatience.

Time is moving on and he's saying the same things That time may be slow in legal circles but in the real world, you try saying the same thing for 9 or 10 months on a situation at your work..

He has definitely changed his tone towards celtic and that is suspicious to me, maybe just me but it stood out.

I see no need for it at all.

McGuire's stance has changed. There are signs that he's softening in his approach when he should be going for the jugular instead.

Celtic clearly see him as no more than a legal lightweight - an ambulance chaser. They haven't yielded an inch from their opening position.

If this was a staring contest, Patrick's just blinked.

McGuire's stance has changed. There are signs that he's softening in his approach when he should be going for the jugular instead.

Celtic clearly see him as no more than a legal lightweight - an ambulance chaser. They haven't yielded an inch from their opening position.

There really aren't any signs that he's softening his approach at all.

In fact, going back to his first statement on the matter in November 2018 shows that his language hadn't really changed at all.

“We are asking Celtic, in their own right, for their own past wrongs, to do the right thing.”

Compared with the latest:

"They want survivors to be fairly compensated and expect their club to do the right thing. On behalf of all Celtic survivors I would call upon the fans to take control of the situation and use their undoubted power to demand the club faces up to their responsibilities"

This time he has called upon the support, which will include shareholders, to force their club to do the right thing because Celtic refuse to respond.

That's not blinking.

Celtc's stance since this first raised its head has been consistant.(with the exceptions of the Bunnet and Birt). Cover it up and deny everything. It has become almost impossible for them to alter it now. This obstinate refusal to even acknowledge an iota of fault will be the death of them.
Even for kafflicks there is no forgiveness without contrition.
Their history will condemn them for eternity as the "paedophile football club".
Whereas the English clubs with similar issues have addressed them fully, openly and publicly, will have a stain on their character, but it will define Celtc forever.

Marc Horne at the The Times is the only decent journalist with any kind of good and sound moral compass who has focused on the recent convictions of Torbett Cairney King and McCafferty who can hold his head up high

Also Times Editor Scotland Magnus Llewellin deserves credit too for not letting Nonce FC off the hook

The rest of the so called investigative journalists are shitebags and imposters

What we need is an article in The Times to highlight the paedo ring clearly in operation at Parkpaed since 1966 when Torbett set up CBC

Torbetts first victim at CBC was reported as 1967 so it started within a year of it being set up

Why wont they call out the biggest paedo ring in professional football ?

If it does go to court, I hope there is someone similar to James Doleman (but not him) covering it, as I doubt it will be reported fairly in the msm.

I have a feeling that they will push for any proceedings to be heard in private. Whether they will be successful is another matter, but they wont want their filthy washing aired in public.

I just dont see this company being able to take them on if I'm honest. Would much rather see a legal team from down south run with this.

Marc Horne at the The Times is the only decent journalist with any kind of good and sound moral compass who has focused on the recent convictions of Torbett Cairney King and McCafferty who can hold his head up high

Also Times Editor Scotland Magnus Llewellin deserves credit too for not letting Nonce FC off the hook

The rest of the so called investigative journalists are shitebags and imposters

What we need is an article in The Times to highlight the paedo ring clearly in operation at Parkpaed since 1966 when Torbett set up CBC

Torbetts first victim at CBC was reported as 1967 so it started within a year of it being set up

Why wont they call out the biggest paedo ring in professional football ?

Hard data has & will be passed on where possible mate.

Anything you have to prove this stuff please pass to us & we will ensure that it gets to the right person or people.

It would be interesting finding out the compensation offered by Man City and Chelsea to their victims. It will set a precedent, and may be more than the courts would award. Damages for compensation in courts have a set formula and for kids / people not working it is not very much. One of the biggest components is los of earnings and there would be none for the kids. Although they all had potential it is not proven and factual so Courts would not take it into account. I think if each victim gets £50k they would be doing well, in the Courts. so even a 100 victims would only cost Celtic £5m. Legal fees may be same again. Reputation all damage to Celtic cannot be measured but I hope this stains them globally, but I fear that Celtic are playing a waiting game in the hope this escalates and is then buried in a wave of similar claims and is treated as a football problem. That's the way it looks to me.
The US is the game changer financially as the US courts could award a lot more to the victims and also allow a punitive damages award ( a penalty if you like against Celtic ) for covering it up.

Of course if City and Chelsea are paying out £100k each then it becomes difficult for Celtic to offer less.

It's sad that the victims will get so little in courts but unfortunately true.

The more time taken over the next few months is allowing more information to get into the public domain just like the Chelsea story & the stories the Times are printing, there will be so many more eyes on them by the time this gets to court. The investigations in the 90s were mostly reported in the papers & to be honest I was more of a check the headlines on the front page then back page for the fitba’ kinda reader, not too bothered about the other news, any negative stories about them & you’d talk to your mates & your workmates that was pretty much as far as it got, for me at least. This is round 2 with the help of the internet & social media, we don’t wrap chips in yesterday’s news anymore. There’s people from around the globe looking into this story and the interest is building daily, another day without any sign of acceptance from the East End will be another day of pain for survivors some of who may be struggling for a multitude of reasons with the thought of taking the first step to opening up about their vile experiences but the longer the denials go on the more people there will be getting on board & tilting the scales of justice in the victims favour.
It’s getting like the 75th minute punters are getting ready to head for the exit, the rest of us will be here until the final whistle even it it means extra time!

The more time taken over the next few months is allowing more information to get into the public domain just like the Chelsea story & the stories the Times are printing, there will be so many more eyes on them by the time this gets to court. The investigations in the 90s were mostly reported in the papers & to be honest I was more of a check the headlines on the front page then back page for the fitba’ kinda reader, not too bothered about the other news, any negative stories about them & you’d talk to your mates & your workmates that was pretty much as far as it got, for me at least. This is round 2 with the help of the internet & social media, we don’t wrap chips in yesterday’s news anymore. There’s people from around the globe looking into this story and the interest is building daily, another day without any sign of acceptance from the East End will be another day of pain for survivors some of who may be struggling for a multitude of reasons with the thought of taking the first step to opening up about their vile experiences but the longer the denials go on the more people there will be getting on board & tilting the scales of justice in the victims favour.
It’s getting like the 75th minute punters are getting ready to head for the exit, the rest of us will be here until the final whistle even it it means extra time!

Good post. And I agree. Time is now not helping them with article after article & new revelations by the week.

Reading the posts from early this morning I am struck by how recent additions to this forum seem intent on sowing dissension and disheartenedness in our ranks. Subtly, but surely, with crocodile tears and staunchness, Hollicom does its job.

Litigation takes time. There are lots of "i"s to be dotted and "t"s to be crossed and one silly mistake can derail the whole process. Complainants and witnesses, not necessarily the same people, will be being examined by Maguire and his team to try to ensure that the stories add up. Simple errors could cost the whole case

Additionally there will be a few con-men trying it on too. Just look at Grenfell.

Good, sensible post. I guess we'll all just need to let things run their course and do whatever we can if possible.

Just to add...I think most people are too entrenched with McGuire too. What we have to remember is that he's only ONE firm of solicitors. Who knows how many more firms are involved in this.

I just dont see this company being able to take them on if I'm honest. Would much rather see a legal team from down south run with this.

I'm pretty sure mc guire will have more than enough legal brains behind him if required...if i were you,i'd be more worried about the legal eagles of the bald kind from across the water,cos they will seek and destroy celtic...remember penn state?...paterno is on tonight,go and prepare yourself.

I'm pretty sure mc guire will have more than enough legal brains behind him if required...if i were you,i'd be more worried about the legal eagles of the bald kind from across the water,cos they will seek and destroy celtic...remember penn state?...paterno is on tonight,go and prepare yourself.

Why would I be worried? I've done more than my fair share of firefighting on twitter with another good bear to the extent I had to step back. There is only so much tagging of ministers etc you can do without a reply as well as argueing with them for hours on end before enough is enough.

However I am not convinced (like umpteen others on here) that anything of serious consequence will happen to them while the SNP are in power. I'm fully aware of what hapepned with Penn Sate. What makes you think they will 'seek and destroy' Celtic? I'm sorry but thats just seems like hyperbole at this time. We dont know what will happen. I would lve to see an American legal team dismantle them but there is only so much they can do. Yes a crime was committed in US soil but not against a US citizen. Who are the American lawyers that are running with this is there even a name? It would be good to start to see some actual traction on this but from where I am sitting there doesnt seem to be much happening.

Its also worth noting its a very serious subject matter and we should be debating it like adults. PM me if you want my twitter handle and you can go look for yourself.

Why would I be worried? I've done more than my fair share of firefighting on twitter with another good bear to the extent I had to step back. There is only so much tagging of ministers etc you can do without a reply as well as argueing with them for hours on end before enough is enough.

However I am not convinced (like umpteen others on here) that anything of serious consequence will happen to them while the SNP are in power. I'm fully aware of what hapepned with Penn Sate. What makes you think they will 'seek and destroy' Celtic? I'm sorry but thats just seems like hyperbole at this time. We dont know what will happen. I would lve to see an American legal team dismantle them but there is only so much they can do. Yes a crime was committed in US soil but not against a US citizen. Who are the American lawyers that are running with this is there even a name? It would be good to start to see some actual traction on this but from where I am sitting there doesnt seem to be much happening.

Its also worth noting its a very serious subject matter and we should be debating it like adults. PM me if you want my twitter handle and you can go look for yourself.
Do you honestly think we are going to give you any contacts on a forum? And you mention you’ve had no replies from members of Parliament. Are you willing to say who?

Do you honestly think we are going to give you any contacts on a forum? And you mention you’ve had no replies from members of Parliament. Are you willing to say who?

Who do you think? Just about every member @ScotGov.

I also spent a long time trying to even get a response from Ruth Davidson which was blanked but I see she has eventually replied by reading the thread. I am asking for the name of the lawyers in America who are running with this? If it's not in the public domain then fair enough. Who asked for a 'contact'?

Who do you think? Just about every member @ScotGov.

I also spent a long time trying to even get a response from Ruth Davidson which was blanked but I see she has eventually replied by reading the thread. I am asking for the name of the lawyers in America who are running with this? If it's not in the public domain then fair enough. Who asked for a 'contact'?
Well let me tell you something. Each one you’ve mentioned above, I have had a reply. Now when you contact these officials maybe you are coming across like an angry Rangers supporter. Which I will guarantee you that you will not get a reply.

I’ve also had replies from various officials in different countries. So maybe it’s the way your coming across in your dialogue to them?

Well let me tell you something. Each one you’ve mentioned above, I have had a reply. Now when you contact these officials maybe you are coming across like an angry Rangers supporter. Which I will guarantee you that you will not get a reply.

I’ve also had replies from various officials in different countries. So maybe it’s the way your coming across in your dialogue to them?

So you have had a reply from Humza?? Is it on this thread?

I tried to open the debate up on Thomsons twitter page as it was basically just tims laughing it off. Myself and another bear where hoping it would take off but has died a death. It's a sticky that is therefor all to see. I normally try to keep debate civilisied mate but take your point about the angry part. Genuinely stunned you got a reply from him can you send me the link?

I tried to open the debate up on Thomsons twitter page as it was basically just tims laughing it off. Myself and another bear where hoping it would take off but has died a death. It's a sticky that is therefor all to see. I normally try to keep debate civilisied mate but take your point about the angry part. Genuinely stunned you got a reply from him can you send me the link?
Sorry can’t send you any link. I don’t do twitter either

Stop trying to rush this,victims always first.
About 20 years ago my old man broke his ankle running for a bus and put in a claim against renfrewshire council as there was a hole in the pavement which hadn't been repaired.
Now that took about 3 years to be settled and that is absolutely nothing in scale compared to whats being dealt with here,so getting at a lawyer on how he's dealing with this is ridiculous.

Mate you are now coming across as obtuse and argumentative. It's a shame your efforts don't seem to have borne fruit, but that doesn't mean others have met with the same response. Maybe it would be best to leave matters to them rather than demanding details of responses and potentially sensitive contact details?

Mate you are now coming across as obtuse and argumentative. It's a shame your efforts don't seem to have borne fruit, but that doesn't mean others have met with the same response. Maybe it would be best to leave matters to them rather than demanding details of responses and potentially sensitive contact details?

Agree mate. We have important things to do that could help the situation & that’s what matters.

I agree to an extent. I just found it starnge that their sticky was basically mentally challengeds laughing at them. Nobody called them out directly or asked Thomsons for details of responses for clarification btw. I'm fully aware of how sensitive all of this is. If you are meaning on here I get what you are saying. Unless I am missing something very fundamental I have yet to see anything other than generic emails. That isnt a dig at anyone on here, far from it. I just have very grave concerns this will not play out the way some expect. Not while they have the SNP protecting them. Thats just my opinion.

Back