Managers hesitation at using substitutions

Fucking hell anyone would think we had lost the game, so many managers on here ha. I think the gaffer knows what he's doing and that is why he is in charge of our team. Some should give it a rest.

It seems some people just want to find something to moan about if we don't win a game. We've just come away with a good result, in a pretty intimidating stadium and played a decent side, and it's not good enough for some. Of course it would have been great to get an away goal and perhaps a sub would have provided, either by scoring or setting one up. But by the same token subs can sometimes disrupt a team's pattern of play and mistakes can be made.

At the end of the day we've come away with a good result and there's everything to play for next week. I'd have taken that at the start of the match.

Their right back was booked after 53 minutes and Ojo was having an off night. Why not bring Jones on for at least 20 minutes to have a go at him?

Good enough result but an away goal was definitely there to be had.

Did we lose tonight?

A lot of people are genuinely devastated we never made any subs

The manager managed the game well and got a decent result against a dangerous side
I agree it's a good result but surely people are entitled to an opinion?
If they are going over the t
We played well tonight and got a good away result.

Discussing substitutions etc. has been done by football fans since the game began .

Some see any form of discussion or slight criticism as a personal attack .
Totally agree.
Seems any criticism no matter how small is jumped upon by the radicals these days.

I think it's a genuine weakness - it's something he needs to work on. A single sub can totally change a game. Yes, it can also be a negative thing but used right it can stabilize or invigorate a team. To leave players like Ojo on whilst he was clearly knackered is poor. It's not just not wanting to change, it's just poor.

I don't know what it is. Gerrard is sharp as a tack and knows football at the highest level inside out but something is stopping him making changes.

I’ve just accepted it’s an area he’s not quite developed in. Love him to bits and he has many qualities as a manager but, at the moment, you can’t count on him to change things up when we’re up against it. Just my opinion, of course.

While I would also have preferred to see a couple of subs on earlier, we drew 0-0 away from home against the best team we have played so far this season.......most of us would have taken this before the game!

Big problem last season, few needed subbed tonight

That he should have subbed earlier is a reasonable point worth discussion. However on comes Jones Kanata and whoever. One of them gets caught in possession or out of position and Legia score.

Cur FF meltdown as we all say why did he change it.
0-0 away from home ain't too shabby.

Other than Ojo I am not sure who needed to be stretchered off as this drama queen makes out.

We also have a hard game on Sunday!

Ojo will need rested - Jones will play the 90!

Has Jones come on and got a crazy injury? What would the drama queens do then

I get the impression he's worried about keeping players on the bench fresh for the next game, rather than playing the game in front of him

A draws an excellent result tonight, but lots of folk could see that mibbe Jones for ojo or king for arfield, Defoe for Morelos earlier might have added a different dimension that could've allowed us to nick it

If you take a guy off at 75 minutes and his replacement takes 5 minutes to get into the game, especially a tight tie away from home, you probably lose.

If you have 11 guys running around knackered but holding for 90, you probably draw.

We drew. Go figure.
There was a goal in that game for us mate. Obviously it didn't happen so we'll never know but that was my point.

Was touched on in commentary, it's hard to get up to speed from the bench and he decided to keep as is rather than risk it. Fair enough and surely pretty easy to understand ?

Good point...you often see in close games the opposition score when a sub is brought on. More often that not it seems to take the player a while to get into the match.

Other than Ojo I am not sure who needed to be stretchered off as this drama queen makes out.

We also have a hard game on Sunday!

Ojo will need rested - Jones will play the 90!

Has Jones come on and got a crazy injury? What would the drama queens do then
Piss their frillies, or is it wet their nappies.

No point having a strong bench if we aren’t going to use it properly.

Substitutions are clearly the managers weak point.

Did we lose tonight?

A lot of people are genuinely devastated we never made any subs

The manager managed the game well and got a decent result against a dangerous side
Really show me one single piece of evidence in your next post or else ad it that is ever so slightly hyperbole :D

That he should have subbed earlier is a reasonable point worth discussion. However on comes Jones Kanata and whoever. One of them gets caught in possession or out of position and Legia score.

Cur FF meltdown as we all say why did he change it.
0-0 away from home ain't too shabby.
Same if we didn't change it mate, they score and we should have! Decent result, we'll beat them at Ibrox next week

Calm down, Gerrard is allowed to have a weakness. Could you point out any manager to me who is perfect?

No need to calm down mate, we have walked away from a very difficult venue now needing only a win at home to qualify, yet here we are trying to discuss the merits of a substitution.

Weakness as you call it or the call of a man who has more experience of these situations than this entire forum combined?

Never mind that. In the few seconds I got a picture I had to put up with the up to the speed of the game comment on rangers TV. If that was true nobody would ever make subs. Same rubbish was waffled about on Sunday!

Some people can’t handle this kind of chat after a good result, anything remotely “negative” is treason. The game turned as we started to tire, as others have said it was very strange that Ojo wasn’t replaced.

I get the impression he's worried about keeping players on the bench fresh for the next game, rather than playing the game in front of him

Maybe it is just me but i get the impression he just knows what he is doing.

0/0 is a good result. Yes he could have changed it and we might have snatched a goal. However on the flip side we make a change and lose 1/0 against a team with a very good defence.
I for one am glad he erred on the side of caution.

We now have the advantage.

If he has the trust in the improved squad he’s pulled together than I don’t get why he doesn’t use it

Been the same since he came in, it’s a clear blindspot,we didn’t get hurt by it but undoubtedly some were out in their feet and needed changed earlier

Anyway, no harm done I suppose

Everyone (even Tom miller) saw Jones for ojo. Who do you trust to be able to read a game though, Steven Gerrard or us plebs in the stands.

Got the result, let's take them back to Ibrox and finish the job. They were a fucking decent team, but we have an excellent squad.

No need to calm down mate, we have walked away from a very difficult venue now needing only a win at home to qualify, yet here we are trying to discuss the merits of a substitution.

Weakness as you call it or the call of a man who has more experience of these situations than this entire forum combined?
I can’t stand this nonsense that you see on here that people can’t ever question anything Gerrard does basically because Gerrard.

Game of 2 halves for me. Legia were far better in the second half. Subs, well change it and get beat, leave it and draw. Right decision for me. I know if we had changed it we could have went for it but to much at stake. Take them back to Ibrox. Game far from over btw.

It seems some people just want to find something to moan about if we don't win a game. We've just come away with a good result, in a pretty intimidating stadium and played a decent side, and it's not good enough for some. Of course it would have been great to get an away goal and perhaps a sub would have provided, either by scoring or setting one up. But by the same token subs can sometimes disrupt a team's pattern of play and mistakes can be made.

At the end of the day we've come away with a good result and there's everything to play for next week. I'd have taken that at the start of the match.
See that's nonsense there mate, it's a legitimate talking point and has happened a lot before too. That doesn't mean anyone is looking for someone to moan about. I'm sitting watching that match thinking to myself for a good while we need to make a change. Ojo first then Arfield or both I'd have said.

I wasn't looking for something to moan about just an observation.

Aye but imo, we dropped out of the game at HT. We could barely string three passes together in the second half and were just constantly inviting pressure. We were lucky they were shite going forward.

That's not lucky. That is them. Had they been someone else we would have played differently. OUR game plan was based on what we faced not on who we were lucky not to face.

Back