Mark daly at it again

His lawyers would have been ramping that up not him imo. So as far as i can see, this came about after said victim visited a police station. Was he reporting it or looking to gather paperwork for a claim.?

His lawyers haven't been advising him well.

How would he know if it was lies if his parents asked the club not to report it? That could well have been his parents line to him.

Nothing to say that Hood wouldn't have reported the matter.

I dont trust the police not to lose evidence when it suits them either.

I'd like our club to confirm publicly what this incident was about and what they know of Neely being removed.

Let's have the full public enquiry we've all been asking for for years.

Daly is taking this fellas opinion as fact. To say 'total lies', goes against what Rangers employees have said.

This is a stitch up with old news and no new 'evidence'

An Independent Inquiry is an absolute must if the truth is to come out, fully agree.

As if you couldn't be more disgusted at the fact they haven't been taken to task by the media or the authorities, we are now being lumped in despite sacking the guy immediately.

They did nothing to prevent further abuse and actively enabled it to take place. That is the difference.

This is the first time I’ve ever seen the phrase “cover-up” used anywhere in the Scottish media when discussing abuse in football.

Incredible stuff.

This is a huge part of the problem in all this.

We all want any victim to be done right by. What chance have you got of deciding what should be done though when the national broadcaster is as twisted as that in presenting the "news"

That "cover-up" phrase has been deliberately and maliciously used by the BBC tonight.

There is no comparison between this incident and what was happening and being covered up at Celtic.For a start neely was immediately sacked and never employed again by the Club.
I would welcome a full investigation into this and to any other club that has been accused of child abuse.
Finally hibs part in this should also be thoroughly investigated.
Neely never worked for a senior club again after being sacked from Rangers either. However, he did continue working with boys clubs. Serial paedophiles just didn't seem to attract attention from authorities back in the 80's.

Regarding the Rangers News article....

That's the damning bit...

Not really, because without police charges you can hardly expect the club to publish anything other than a bland ‘thanks for coming’ departure news. Otherwise it’s trial by public and to say nothing either would be equally suspect.

I have to say, and I have every sympathy with the alleged victim, but why didn’t *he* and his family not report it but expects the club to? When Alastair Hood, who I have no doubt DID do it, if the father was an (ex?)cop then it sits even less well with me. If any child of mine was in the same boat, I’d be reporting it *and following it up*. Not sitting waiting for the cops to arrive years later and blaming someone else that they didn’t?

Let’s have a full enquiry then... I’m happy we have nothing to hide on this compared to Separate Entity FC.

This is an issue that goes beyond individual clubs and needs to be dealt with. Ideally Rangers offer to work with a full enquiry into sporting institutions and offer any assistance needed, thus will deal with why the clubs account is being questioned. It will also deal with the actions (or lack of) of other clubs. Rangers were given no info on Neely’s actions despite accusations made at previous clubs (I believe, but will stand corrected)

Where is this confirmation you speak of? There has been no evidence presented to a court and no verdict recorded only hearsay. You are perpetrating the myth and passing it on as truth. Are you on the right forum? I have just watched the news and it is a stitch up an dI am sure the club will respond.

Are you on the right forum?! Cos this sounds like something straight off one of theirs.

This is the first time I’ve ever seen the phrase “cover-up” used anywhere in the Scottish media when discussing abuse in football.

Incredible stuff.

The confession of an anonymous 'victim' is all the encouragement they needed.

I've heard this allegation and our club's name mentioned together about a dozen times now.
There's tomorrows front pages right there.

I’m guessing his son speaks on behalf of himself and his father. Rangers should also apologise/compensate ASAP. Absolutely the right thing to do. Surely nobody would disagree?

It looks like you guessed incorrectly as it seems the victims father is dead - and died before his son decided to pursue this.

Rangers line on this is that Neely was immediately sacked and the matter reported to the Police. Nobody appears to dispute that Neely was sacked (despite the ‘standard format’ announcement in the Rangers News of his departure). I doubt anyone would be surprised at the inability of Police Scotland to find such a report in the Strathclyde Police archives from around 30 years ago either.

Why would you have Rangers apologise/compensate if they dealt with the matter this way at the time the incident occurred? For sure, it would be handled differently now but, as a lawyer, you will know we cannot apply today’s standards to events of decades ago when the ‘correct’ way to deal with things was markedly different to today.

When someone left the club when the Rangers News was being published it was normal for their departure to be noted in that formulaic manner. The view may have been taken - I am speculating here - that not to have done so would raise questions and draw attention to the issue whilst it was being handled by the police.

Came on to post exactly this.

It’s never pleasant to have to confront the sickness of child abuse in football.

It’s even more unpleasant to find a section of fans of a club hoping and praying that children were abused at another club in order to deflect from an ongoing, decades-long, history of abuse by what may have been a series of random individuals but which increasingly looks like a linked group at the club they support.

Sadly, this sickness also infects some journalists in Scotland, and elsewhere, who in pursuit of a story have over the last few years sought to pressurise victims into making statements tailored not to unveil the truth but to attempt to muddy the waters and create a situation where ‘one club was as bad as the other.’

I wouldn’t accuse Daly of any of the above but it is instructive to give that background as the small coterie of journalists working in this area are well-known to one another. By repetition and suggestion hunches and prejudice may become ‘facts.’ That is the culture.

By their very nature, predatory paedophiles are secretive and manipulative - often retaining some control of their victims even into adulthood. The most helpful way to encourage victims to come forward is the pursuit of the truth and the examination of the evidence by the police and courts.

With regard to Daly’s latest story it is instructive to re-familiarise ourselves with the facts. Whilst at Rangers there have been two alleged victims of Gordon Neely and one of Harry Dunn - the number of charges and convictions I leave to journalists to inform us of.

The facts with regard to one of Neely’s victims are reasonably well-known - a parent brought an incident to the notice of the club - the same day Neely was called to a meeting with Souness, Walter Smith and former security executive and ex-police officer Alistair Hood. He was sacked.

Despite the parent not wishing to report the incident to the police Alistair Hood’s advice was that it should be - and this was done. 30 years ago that would have been the Strathclyde force. Given Police Scotland’s recent record in losing files it comes as no surprise that they can’t find paper files from a predecessor organisation about an incident 30 years ago. However, we do have two living witnesses to that meeting.

Daly then reports a story about a club employee confronting the child and complaining about the complaint about Neely. This story is again instructive. In claiming the club was negligent it actually reinforces the argument - as soon as a complaint was made Neely was sacked.

The Rangers News clipping about Neely departure is being used in a manner which would lead you to believe the club were complicit in his behaviour. It’s very short and to the point - and why would a Rangers News employee be expected to know the ins and outs of his departure when it’s the subject of a report to the police about an incredibly serious matter which may, or may not, turn out to be true?

The embarrassment for Celtic fans, is of course, the fawning coverage complete with presentations, pictures and shaking of hands which accompanied Torbett’s departure. And, of course, Torbett was welcomed back.

Lastly, the implication is clearly given that Rangers facilitated Neely continued involvement in football when he set up a private vehicle to run soccer classes. No club, or individual, had or has the ability to stop the activities of a private individual when the police can’t. That is an impossibilist scenario.

This post should be a stick on so that we are all aware of the facts.

It would appear that BBC want to drag Rangers into the Child Abuse scandal. If the club can prove we did as has been reported above and in other posts, the board should get a statement out asap, not to do so will only allow allegations to grow.

That was the very first thing that struck me.

No hesitation whatsoever in using it to tarnish our name without full evidence but when it came to celtic and their convicted paedophile ring there was never any mention of a cover up.

They're too scared to say anything against Celtic even if its 100% accurate.

Rangers? I think we all know the score here.

It would appear that BBC want to drag Rangers into the Child Abuse scandal. If the club can prove we did as has been reported above and in other posts, the board should get a statement out asap, not to do so will only allow allegations to grow.

If the club could prove the police report they would've done so in 2016. It's clear they can't and are only relying on what people can recall from the time.

If somebody has lied about it being reported then answers are needed as to who and why.

Mark Daly and the BBC approached police in 2016 with a FOI request regarding Rangers reporting the crime. They were told then it was impossible to meet their request as records were not available from that far back. It is wrong to assume Rangers didn't report it, it's just that records from that time no longer exist.
The BBC are corrupt bigot bastards by not emphasising that fact and would rather spread lies about Rangers FC regarding child abuse in football.
It is evil twisted individuals under the guise of journalism who work for that rancid organisation.

Graeme Souness was our manager. He knows what happened.
I wonder who Daly has been informed by? If it is the victim I'd be inclined to believe him.
Yes but my understanding was Walter called the police and the boys dad, being a cop, would surely have taken it further?
I hope Daly has a solid informant because both he and Souness will end his career if he is incorrectly calling them both liars.
Fwiw, both Walter's and Souness' story has never changed regarding these events.

Despite the parent not wishing to report the incident to the police Alistair Hood’s advice was that it should be - and this was done. 30 years ago that would have been the Strathclyde force. Given Police Scotland’s recent record in losing files it comes as no surprise that they can’t find paper files from a predecessor organisation about an indecent 30 years ago. However, we do have two living witnesses to that meeting.

I am not doubting this was done but is there irrefutable proof of this?

I would like to be 100% sure this was dealt with appropriately.

Is Alistair Hood still alive? If so surely he can confirm if Police were informed. Perhaps Souness and Walter may know to?

If this wasn't reported to the police then surely his father as a serving police officer has failed him far far more than any football club.
Am I missing something?

Or could it be now that his father is dead this man has decided which version of events he wants?

Last edited:
If the club could prove the police report they would've done so in 2016. It's clear they can't and are only relying on what people can recall from the time.

If somebody has lied about it being reported then answers are needed as to who and why.

Make no mistake, it's Souness and Walter they're going for here as they attempt to put them up there with Large John - who was aware.

Sadly thats what it is

Has anyone else checked through old newspaper articles about Neely and the ‘victim’?

This guy’s story has changed.

Additionally, earlier he claimed that his father had beaten up Neely, which adds another factor. But he made further allegations concerning a situation where other witnesses were present - easily provable one way or another.

Everything Daly has written is pinned on the words of the ‘victim’ and the tiny article in the Rangers News.

Rangers really have to come out with a statement because men like Graeme Souness and Walter Smith are being dragged into it.

It will be interesting if any other media outlet runs with this tomorrow or in the coming days.

If not it will be an indictment of a BBC Scotland agenda

Yes but my understanding was Walter called the police and the boys dad, being a cop, would surely have taken it further?
I hope Daly has a solid informant because both he and Souness will end his career if he is incorrectly calling them both liars.
Fwiw, both Walter's and Souness' story has never changed regarding these events.

Surely it would have fallen to Alastair Hood, Head of Security and ex-Police Officer, to make that call? Not in the Manager or Assistant Managers remit in any way. You would also expect that he would have been the one liaising with the child’s father, a serving Police Officer at the time. It would appear both men were dead before the victim chose to pursue this.

Incredible stuff.

Our fans are racist, according to uefa, so what's the problem with adding a "child abuse cover up" to the club's reputation, by the BBC? It fits with the EBT cheating scandal and accusations of sectarianism. Have I missed anything?

We need to be 100% sure of their facts before they say anything about this.

If we don’t have all the facts clearly established then the only statement we should make now is “we are looking into these serious allegations and will issue a full statement shortly”

The club could not say why he’d left before any trial.
That would probably be illegal and would be used by the defence, suggesting the inability to ensure a fair trial.
[/QUOTE

Nowhere did I suggest they do that.

A simple message saying he has left the club would have sufficed. Not wishing him well.

Surely it would have fallen to Alastair Hood, Head of Security and ex-Police Officer, to make that call? Not in the Manager or Assistant Managers remit in any way. You would also expect that he would have been the one liaising with the child’s father, a serving Police Officer at the time. It would appear both men were dead before the victim chose to pursue this.
I'm only going on what I have read / heard mate nothing more. It seems to be the recurring theme that both Walter and Souness have the same of version of events.
As I initially said, if we as a club hid this, and if the Walter and Souness version of events are untrue, I will be sickened.
I just can't believe that to be the case given those involved.

That’s my hunch too. I can’t see something like this being left to Souness and Smith.

Nothing said by the guy for 25 years...

Mark Daly and the BBC approached police in 2016 with a FOI request regarding Rangers reporting the crime. They were told then it was impossible to meet their request as records were not available from that far back. It is wrong to assume Rangers didn't report it, it's just that records from that time no longer exist.
The BBC are corrupt bigot bastards by not emphasising that fact and would rather spread lies about Rangers FC regarding child abuse in football.
It is evil twisted individuals under the guise of journalism who work for that rancid organisation.

If what you are saying about the Police being unable to confirm Rangers assertion that we reported the incident solely because of the timescale we should come out strongly on this point.

It is imperative that if we have nothing to hide (and I very much hope this is the case) that we go on the offensive regarding the BBC's reporting of this incident.

Re The Rangers News- has Daly never considered that, perhaps, the folk who write the Rangers News weren't actually told why he had left? It's hardly evidence of a "cover up" is it? Unless they wanted us to say that Neely had left the club due to allegations of a sexual nature.

If what you are saying about the Police being unable to confirm Rangers assertion that we reported the incident solely because of the timescale we should come out strongly on this point.

It is imperative that if we have nothing to hide (and I very much hope this is the case) that we go on the offensive regarding the BBC's reporting of this incident.

BBC Scotland are a disgusting organisation.

If it turns out that everything our club has said is true, it really is time we started issuing law suits against individuals like Daly

We need to be 100% sure of their facts before they say anything about this.

If we don’t have all the facts clearly established then the only statement we should make now is “we are looking into these serious allegations and will issue a full statement shortly”

We always have to wait. Let the damage to our reputation spread throughout the country then, when its not news anymore, issue a poorly written statement that no one sees.

Its a brilliant strategy and its working so well its a wonder anyone admits to following us now.

That’s my hunch too. I can’t see something like this being left to Souness and Smith.

Nothing said by the guy for 25 years...
There money to be had just round the corner mate.

Neely and his buddy Dunn at Hearts were lowlifes and I believe the player that Neely abused him and if we think he was the only one we may be disappointed over the next year.

I will tell you something for an absolute fact, because I know of the family, the victim’s (who rightly won’t be named) father was a serving police officer at the time this took place. It was reported alright. They will try an hide behind entire anonymity and avoid reporting that because it suits the agenda.

When you sack someone for something like that, you CANNOT put reasons like “he was accused of being a paedophile” - it doesn’t work like that.
I don’t want to sound crude given its sensitive nature, but as you know the family and you’re saying there’s an agenda (not sure if you mean the family or reporting), are you able to elaborate on what you mean by agenda or even confirm if you meant the family or BBC? If not then that’s fine, it’s not an easy thing to be discussing and for the record I am only asking for clarification and not taking issue with what you’ve said or anything like that.

Back