Mark daly at it again

We need to be 100% sure of their facts before they say anything about this.

If we don’t have all the facts clearly established then the only statement we should make now is “we are looking into these serious allegations and will issue a full statement shortly”

I agree entirely that we have to be 100% sure of the facts.

However this incident has been well documented/reported numerous timesover the years therefore I would like to think the club know exactly what happened and how it was dealt with. If that info. is at hand it shouldn't take long to get a statement out. These are serious allegations against our club and dignified silence won't wash this time if we have nothing to hide.

“Neely would carry on abusing at Rangers until a complaint was made in 1991 which led to his dismissal.”

That is absolutely disgraceful and needs challenged by the club. What evidence is there to support any other incidents of abuse at Ibrox beyond the verbal offence that led to Neely’s dismissal?

They are absolutely desperate to drag us into this in order to subsume the Beasts’ crimes into a generalised nationwide abuse scandal.

Make no mistake about it, this has been their end goal for years. Find some way, any way of linking us to child abuse so they can forgive themselves for what happened at their sordid club.

Looks like they've got what they wanted. In fact they've managed to make us look worse because we are guilty of a "cover up". Not something Ive heard them being accused of.

The people most at fault here are the boy’s parents. Why on earth would you not go to the police if your son had been sexually assaulted? I find that hard to comprehend.
I swear and my kids are now grown up but the police would not be my first port of call. The peadophile would now be dead and most probably I would not be free to write this reply. Full independent enquiry required. Independent being the watchword

Paper records held by Strathclyde Police are not kept for ever, they were destroyed after a period of years, unless it related to a murder case.
So he is right in the sense there is no record of the incident as it would have been destroyed along with hundreds of thousand other paper records. They weren’t digitised in those days.

It will be interesting if any other media outlet runs with this tomorrow or in the coming days.

If not it will be an indictment of a BBC Scotland agenda
It got 30 seconds air time on the bbc Scottish news. Quite generic they believe it wasn't reported as opposed to def not in tge headline

Paper records held by Strathclyde Police are not kept for ever, they were destroyed after a period of years, unless it related to a murder case.
So he is right in the sense there is no record of the incident as it would have been destroyed along with hundreds of thousand other paper records. They weren’t digitised in those days.

Back then the cops used pencils. That should tell you enough.

See if a matter I reported to the police and then nothing is done about it and the case is closed?

How long would their be a record of the complaint?

“Neely would carry on abusing at Rangers until a complaint was made in 1991 which led to his dismissal.”

That is absolutely disgraceful and needs challenged by the club. What evidence is there to support any other incidents of abuse at Ibrox beyond the verbal offence that led to Neely’s dismissal?

They are absolutely desperate to drag us into this in order to subsume the Beasts’ crimes into a generalised nationwide abuse scandal.

Spot on. In all the years that Neely was at Rangers there is only this one well documented incident, which once reported saw the bastard sacked immediately.

There is no cover up, unlike the 4 decades at Kiddy Fiddlers FC, but the mhedia would love to tar us with the same brush if they can.

If we have nothing to hide the Board must act asap.

What annoyed me is that Daly kept opinionating to somehow "add weight" to what are still mere allegations. Also why was Martin Henry wheeled out if he is still to publish findings. Very, very sinister and orchestrated by a rancid broadcasting organisation.

I don’t want to sound crude given its sensitive nature, but as you know the family and you’re saying there’s an agenda (not sure if you mean the family or reporting), are you able to elaborate on what you mean by agenda or even confirm if you meant the family or BBC? If not then that’s fine, it’s not an easy thing to be discussing and for the record I am only asking for clarification and not taking issue with what you’ve said or anything like that.

No problem mate.

My agenda comment was for the media. Feel sorry for the victim as everybody does but it’s completely unfair for Rangers to be accused in this way when the club acted impeccably and done everything correctly, even though this was a long time ago when these things were often dealt with poorly.

The victim should get his apology because this happened under our stewardship and I genuinely think that is all he wants. But for him to say it wasn’t reported when his father was a serving police officer baffling. If he said “I don’t think it was reported because if so then why has nobody came to speak to me about it” (as he has said in the past) I would accept that but to say he knows it wasn’t reported is a lie.

Re The Rangers News- has Daly never considered that, perhaps, the folk who write the Rangers News weren't actually told why he had left? It's hardly evidence of a "cover up" is it? Unless they wanted us to say that Neely had left the club due to allegations of a sexual nature.
Straw clutching I would call it.
Now if John is a victim then I wish him well and closure.

However this appears to me that he has only come forward after the death of his father. That could have been because his father reported it at the time or decided against reporting it.
Now that John was able to report his version because his father could not refute it, or allow him to report it.
To accuse Rangers of lying regarding reporting of it because the Police have not record is quite a leap, using a paragraph from a Rangers News as gospel.

Utterly sickening

What annoyed me is that Daly kept opinionating to somehow "add weight" to what are still mere allegations. Also why was Martin Henry wheeled out if he is still to publish findings. Very, very sinister and orchestrated by a rancid broadcasting organisation.

Who is Martin Henry?

It's a convenient accusation to throw around when the folk involved are dead and the fact the Strathclyde police files will no longer exist after all these years. Also makes it equally difficult to take the BBC and mark daly to court.

Of alastair hood still with us he should come out and and let daily know the facts.

I’m afraid he passed away about 15 years ago due to a heart attack. He would’ve been close to 90 if he was still alive.

He was a senior police officer (assistant chief constable) before working with us.

What we have here is a victim who, truth be told, has no idea whether it was reported to the police or not. The same boy also claimed previously that his Dad sorted Neely out.

We then have a bog-standard statement in the Rangers News which was pretty much the parting shot for anyone moving on from their current job back then.

Unfortunately it was enough for Daly and the BBC to try and build a case against Rangers.

The headline of a " COVER-UP AT RANGERS " is nothing short of disgraceful given the paedophile ring and child abuse on an industrial scale that was taking place at Celtic.

Spot on. In all the years that Neely was at Rangers there is only this one well documented incident, which once reported saw the bastard sacked immediately.

There is no cover up, unlike the 4 decades at Kiddy Fiddlers FC, but the mhedia would love to tar us with the same brush if they can.

If we have nothing to hide the Board must act asap.
Rangers have to take the scumbags to task for this blatant smear.

No problem mate.

My agenda comment was for the media. Feel sorry for the victim as everybody does but it’s completely unfair for Rangers to be accused in this way when the club acted impeccably and done everything correctly, even though this was a long time ago when these things were often dealt with poorly.

The victim should get his apology because this happened under our stewardship and I genuinely think that is all he wants. But for him to say it wasn’t reported when his father was a serving police officer baffling. If he said “I don’t think it was reported because if so then why has nobody came to speak to me about it” (as he has said in the past) I would accept that but to say he knows it wasn’t reported is a lie.
Thanks for clearing up mate. Quite possible his dad knew it would not get anywhere given the victims word against Neely and it had to be left at that, although the report says Neely eventually admitted it. It is strange to say that given his dad’s position. I agree it clearly happened and we’ve not disputed it, an apology wouldn’t go amiss. Strange how Daily has not sought comment from Smith or Souness! The agenda is clear!

It’s never pleasant to have to confront the sickness of child abuse in football.

It’s even more unpleasant to find a section of fans of a club hoping and praying that children were abused at another club in order to deflect from an ongoing, decades-long, history of abuse by what may have been a series of random individuals but which increasingly looks like a linked group at the club they support.

Sadly, this sickness also infects some journalists in Scotland, and elsewhere, who in pursuit of a story have over the last few years sought to pressurise victims into making statements tailored not to unveil the truth but to attempt to muddy the waters and create a situation where ‘one club was as bad as the other.’

I wouldn’t accuse Daly of any of the above but it is instructive to give that background as the small coterie of journalists working in this area are well-known to one another. By repetition and suggestion hunches and prejudice may become ‘facts.’ That is the culture.

By their very nature, predatory paedophiles are secretive and manipulative - often retaining some control of their victims even into adulthood. The most helpful way to encourage victims to come forward is the pursuit of the truth and the examination of the evidence by the police and courts.

With regard to Daly’s latest story it is instructive to re-familiarise ourselves with the facts. Whilst at Rangers there have been two alleged victims of Gordon Neely and one of Harry Dunn - the number of charges and convictions I leave to journalists to inform us of.

The facts with regard to one of Neely’s victims are reasonably well-known - a parent brought an incident to the notice of the club - the same day Neely was called to a meeting with Souness, Walter Smith and former security executive and ex-police officer Alistair Hood. He was sacked.

Despite the parent not wishing to report the incident to the police Alistair Hood’s advice was that it should be - and this was done. 30 years ago that would have been the Strathclyde force. Given Police Scotland’s recent record in losing files it comes as no surprise that they can’t find paper files from a predecessor organisation about an incident 30 years ago. However, we do have two living witnesses to that meeting.

Daly then reports a story about a club employee confronting the child and complaining about the complaint about Neely. This story is again instructive. In claiming the club was negligent it actually reinforces the argument - as soon as a complaint was made Neely was sacked.

The Rangers News clipping about Neely departure is being used in a manner which would lead you to believe the club were complicit in his behaviour. It’s very short and to the point - and why would a Rangers News employee be expected to know the ins and outs of his departure when it’s the subject of a report to the police about an incredibly serious matter which may, or may not, turn out to be true?

The embarrassment for Celtic fans, is of course, the fawning coverage complete with presentations, pictures and shaking of hands which accompanied Torbett’s departure. And, of course, Torbett was welcomed back.

Lastly, the implication is clearly given that Rangers facilitated Neely continued involvement in football when he set up a private vehicle to run soccer classes. No club, or individual, had or has the ability to stop the activities of a private individual when the police can’t. That is an impossibilist scenario.

The bit you missed is that it's highly probable the Paedophile ring in the east also included many journalists who to this day have suppressed the truth!!

If you don't report CSE then you are as bad as the abuser and that covers nearly every one of the journos in the republic of scotland!!

If this wasn't reported to the police then surely his father as a serving police officer has failed him far far more than any football club.
Am I missing something?

Or could it be now that his father is dead this man has decided which version of events he wants?

I’ve always felt there was no prosecution because it was a verbal offence so effectively Neely’s word against the kid’s. Perhaps the father knew it probably wouldn’t get anywhere and was satisfied that the club were kicking him out.

The bigger issue for me is Daly’s inference that Neely had abused at the club prior to this incident.

That absolutely needs to be challenged as it posits Rangers as another club oblivious to or negligent of persistent abuse under their roof.

A whole catalogue of depravity within that rancid club from the east backed up with fact and convictions and they have somehow managed to make our club look far worse on the basis of allegations.

Would any legal savvy posters on here know if we have any grounds for legal action concerning the use of 'cover up' being used against us ?

Just watched Reporting Scotland and Mark Daly's report - the only conclusion that can be drawn from it is that every parent who has spanked the bare bottom of a child is now classed as a paedophile. There is not really much of a comparison between that and what happened at the other side of Glasgow.

Honestly, if anyone genuinely believes this story and it's timing (things have gone quiet on media front) then you are either extremely naive/stupid or a tim hoping for something to apportion the blame.

Neely was dealt with and if they are using a Rangers News report to try find us out to be guilty of something then shame on this country.

The bog that are reporters don't want the truth, they want to push their own agendas down the throats of anyone who'll listen.....get some momentum and boom, true news.

I bet I could start a report tomorrow claiming how the reporter supports terrorism or is a paedo simply by adding 2 and together and getting 5......that's what this story is.

A story to deflect from them onto us and everyone is up in arms.....wait to see the news coverage compared to when it surfaced regarding theirs.....?

Classic defence tactics - when someones backed into a corner then they will scratch and bite their way out, this is them using their media influence to pull up dirt on Rangers.

You've already been told.

The higher echelons of the club are hardly likely to tell a junior reporter in the Rangers News how to handle a news story whilst such allegations are being investigated.

Alistair Hood, himself a former high-ranking policeman, insisted against the wishes of a parent that a complaint be made and he did so.

If hood said he Was going to do it (seems to be the case that it was his task to do and not Walters or souness) Then he either has done it or not.

He can answer this surely as it’s something you’d recall doing imo

I hope we do the right thing here,the bare minimum should be at least to fight our corner and challenge anything that’s not true.

IF any wrong has been done in a cover up and these are just allegations until proven,we should be proactive and lead from the front admit and move on,but let’s wait and see as it’s nothing that was not already know.

But either way kids abused under the crest of Rangers is uncomfortable and disgusting,but on a tiny scale by compared to theirs,so let’s have an independent enquiry to be open and transparent for all clubs.

I have posted this before and will say it again regarding Mark Daly.

I asked him in the Albion Social club after Andrew Gray’s funeral did he believe there was a peado ring @CP when he was with Kenny Campbell and we had a pint,his reply was “no I don’t”

That should be enough for Rangers to launch an official complaint.

Rangers must bring in a fully independent investigator to prove or disprove BBC Scotland's allegations regarding Neely continuing to abuse individuals at our club. If they are lying, there should be no hiding place for BBC Scotland. We must go after BBC Scotland.

Every beast should be exposed and that's a given but the sheer hypocrisy from a rancid organization who have said little or nothing about the biggest paedophile ring to operate in world football is quite breathtaking and extraordinary.
Considering their past with Savile, Harris, Glitter etc, etc , it really shouldn't come as any surprise to decent people.

Beasts are beasts wherever they are.

Straw clutching I would call it.
Now if John is a victim then I wish him well and closure.

However this appears to me that he has only come forward after the death of his father. That could have been because his father reported it at the time or decided against reporting it.
Now that John was able to report his version because his father could not refute it, or allow him to report it.
To accuse Rangers of lying regarding reporting of it because the Police have not record is quite a leap, using a paragraph from a Rangers News as gospel.

Is there also a possibility that he’s been ‘incentivised’ to come forward now that both Hood and his father are no longer with us?

Rangers must bring in a fully independent investigator to prove or disprove BBC Scotland's allegations regarding Neely continuing to abuse individuals at our club. If they are lying, there should be no hiding place for BBC Scotland. We must go after BBC Scotland.
Agreed.

Has anyone else checked through old newspaper articles about Neely and the ‘victim’?

This guy’s story has changed.

Additionally, earlier he claimed that his father had beaten up Neely, which adds another factor. But he made further allegations concerning a situation where other witnesses were present - easily provable one way or another.

Everything Daly has written is pinned on the words of the ‘victim’ and the tiny article in the Rangers News.

Rangers really have to come out with a statement because men like Graeme Souness and Walter Smith are being dragged into it.
Exactly. What I don't get is he says Neely said he could tell his parents or get his bum smacked and John? said he would do it Neely's way. He then said he waited for the thud on his bum but it never came and was told to get to training . He then told his parents. Odd. Why would he choose a smacked bum over telling his parents and then tell them anyway.

If hood said he Was going to do it (seems to be the case that it was his task to do and not Walters or souness) Then he either has done it or not.

He can answer this surely as it’s something you’d recall doing imo

As reported earlier in the thread, both Hood and the victim’s father - who could both clear this up - died before the victim chose to raise this issue.

Back