Where does Morelos rank in the last 20yrs?

The only striker I’d have in front of him right now is hateley at his peak

he just does things the others couldny

Morelos could play for one of the top European teams he has the lot

Legend is a word given out and used too freely but if his goals lead us to a cup and 55, or even more so a treble... well then... he will be a legend in my eyes.
He is a very special talent and his rate of progress year on year is unrivalled. At the age he is you do expect a player to get better every year but this years progression is massive for him if you overlay him year on year. If, as I said earlier, this leads to trophies then he will be forever seen as the major playing resource that took us back to where we belong and yes it's a team game and everyone will be a legend when 55 comes but every successful team has that one player that excels over and above the others and Alfie is that man.

The amazing thing is he has a bit of everyone on that list in his mentality. He better keep pointing at the ground all "this is where I'm staying".

As a norm there is a rewrite of how good players were, in this instance it seems to be overlooking how

A: Good players were

B: How much stronger the league and European Competition we used to play in was.

Out of all on the list, it’s worth thinking how they performed when they were asked to be the lone striker.

Can’t remember a lot of examples where that has been the case. A lot of our good strikers have always had a great partner.

we had clowns like ian black at this club a few years back now we have world class players. how times have change ain’t it great to be a rangers fan. WATP

No 1 for me,at 23 years old he is not even the finnished article,Alfie can go right to the top,now that he's screwed the head the skys the limit

Jelavic
Mccoist
Hateley
Boyd
Miller

Are still ahead but hes closing in

In terms of ability as a striker and overall player I have Morelos ahead of all of them aside from Hateley.

I believe Morelos has more to his game than Jelavic, Boyd, Miller, McCoist.

Laugh all you want, he’s that good.

I know what you're saying, but it's 3 seasons actually. He was at the club for the defeat by Progres under Pedro. If we're being fair to McCoist.

yeah. Fair point. Though I do wonder if he’d have made any difference if Pedro has played him from the start. The game we lost was his first game a few days after joining, wasn’t it? I remember him getting about the last 17 minutes and looking like the only player who actually gave a damn. Vaguely recall him charging down an attempted clearance and very nearly getting in on goal.

edit: my memory is clearly playing up. That was the game we won. Alfie started in the away leg but was subbed for Dalcio at half time.

Jesus....

Last edited:
On Morelos form and behaviour this season, I'd say, if we had a striker of his ability in the 1999-00 advocaat side, we may have won a European trophy.

Was talking about this the other day. In my time watching (since late 70s), I'd only have McCoist and DJ ahead of him.

Mols was one of the most gifted footballers I ever saw live.

However I think Morelos can top that list, owing to his age, consistency, tenacity and sheer ability to read the game. He's far more intelligent than he gets credit for (from certain circles).

Was watching the highlights of his Porto goal and listening to the the crowd chanting his name afterwards, I couldn’t recall the last time a player (striker) had such adulation from the Ibrox faithful.

Got me thinking, where does Buff sit in terms of ranking against our top strikers from last 20yrs?

Mols, Boyd, Miller, Flo, Arveladze, Negri, Novo, Lovenkrands, Naithsmith, Prso, Jelavic, Cousin

Think I’d have him sitting quite respectably in the top 3:

• Mols
• Prso
• Morelos
• Jelavic
• Negri
• Boyd
• Novo
• Miller
• Lovenkrands
• Naismith
• Arveladze
• Cousin
• Flo

Appreciate different players etc. I’ve went for strikers that offer more of a rounded play with there goals.

I honestly think he is the best at leading the line I have ever seen, he can go up against 2 maybe 3 defenders and give them a hard time and score goals, hold up and has an eye for some great passes with his reading of the game, he is one helluva player!

Some list that. Even the 3 at the bottom of it were excellent strikers for us.

As we always say when discussing Mols it's "if he hadn't got the injury" then he'd be out there on his own at no.1 but given the reality I'd actually have Morelos at no.1.

50+ goals in a two and a half year spell that we won two titles, a Scottish Cup and played in the Champions League group stages twice.

Yeah, ridiculous.

Imagine Morelos leaves us in January for £400k to Bursaspor after scoring about 80 goals in 2 and a half years when we aren’t even winning trophies.

Yes. It is ridiculous.

Imagine Morelos leaves us in January for £400k to Bursaspor after scoring about 80 goals in 2 and a half years when we aren’t even winning trophies.

Yes. It is ridiculous.

He was out of contract that summer. We were in no position to renew it. The bank was running the club at the time.

No comparison at all to the Morelos situation.

Jelavic
Mccoist
Hateley
Boyd
Miller

Are still ahead but hes closing in

How anyone can watch Morelos and think Boyd or Miller were better players is beyond me.

Jelavic was better technically but Morelos all round game and strike rate is much better, Jelavic scored 1 European goal for us, I’ve no idea why he’d be considered better than Morelos.

Last edited:
He was out of contract that summer. We were in no position to renew it. The bank was running the club at the time.

No comparison at all to the Morelos situation.

If he was anywhere near Alfie’s level, there would have been better interest.

Boyd the double league, league cup and Scottish cup winner.

He single handedly won us the game against United in 2008.

Top SPL goalscorer.

AF is on the verge of eclipsing him.

I was meaning that AF is already a far better player than Boyd ever was

Until he wins something for us and starts to torment the Yahoos on a regular basis then that will always count against him in any analysis.

It won’t though, your personal analysis? Sure. But a lot of level headed folk will realise trophies are won by the team, part of the reason Jermaine Defoe doesn’t have a medal to his name.

How many bids have we had for Alfie?

You’re getting desperate now mate. Anyone with eyes can see Morelos is a far better player than Miller. Even comparing the 2 and a half year spells, Morelos has 20 more goals with 2 and a half months to go. And that’s in a side that isn’t winning things.

If Morelos had 6 months left on his deal and was available for £400k, he wouldn’t be going to Turkey.

Miller was exceptional for Rangers the second time around, the circumstances of his departure don't define what he did during his time with us

You’re getting desperate now mate. Anyone with eyes can see Morelos is a far better player than Miller. Even comparing the 2 and a half year spells, Morelos has 20 more goals with 2 and a half months to go. And that’s in a side that isn’t winning things.

If Morelos had 6 months left on his deal and was available for £400k, he wouldn’t be going to Turkey.

If he was 31 years old?

You're the one that made an unreasonable comparison, not me.

Yeah bud, which is why Cameron Jerome will always be a better striker than Jermaine Defoe

Bit of a silly argument.

I didn't say that Jelavic was solely better because he's won cups & leagues....he just so happened to be a fantastic footballer as well.

One that played for Croatia at World Cups & European Championships and who played down in the English Premiership. Far from a Cameron Jerome.

When it came to the crunch in Cup Finals, League run-ins and games v them, Jelavic more or less always delivered. Alfredo has yet to do so for us.

It won’t though, your personal analysis? Sure. But a lot of level headed folk will realise trophies are won by the team, part of the reason Jermaine Defoe doesn’t have a medal to his name.

How long has Defoe been playing for Rangers?

Rangers strikers need to score goals against the Yahoos and win trophies. It's not all Alfie's fault but, sooner or later, he has to do it. Sir Alex scored 24 goals in his first season at Rangers but that didn't stop him falling out of favour as it did nothing to arrest Celtic's dominance.

El Buff is number 1. He’s got everything. Overall the best player on the list from OP...Legend status like Super Ally...well he’s far from that due to his time here but ability wise he’s the best.

I will also admit I was one of the guys saying he needs sold last summer but how wrong was I...his improvement this year is crazy.

If he scores against them in December you’ll hear me roaring from Donegal. :D

Bit of a silly argument.

I didn't say that Jelavic was solely better because he's won cups & leagues....he just so happened to be a fantastic footballer as well.

One that played for Croatia at World Cups & European Championships and who played down in the English Premiership. Far from a Cameron Jerome.

When it came to the crunch in Cup Finals, League run-ins and games v them, Jelavic more or less always delivered. Alfredo has yet to do so for us.

LOL.

Yeah I love the irony bud, you literally said you’d choose Jelavic because his goals led to trophies. Well Jerome walked away with a league cup winners medal and Defoe has no medals.

Let’s be logical and admit it’s an idiotic stance to take when honours are won by the collective team and Alfredo has till now, not been part of a team good enough to win any. If you want to be even fairer you could also factor in his age and relative lack of experience when compared with the others.

He’d probably be 3rd on my personal list, but I wouldn’t be daft enough to use a lack of silverware against him, unless maybe we had a realistic chance of winning silverware and we lost out purely because he personally played like shit or repeatedly cost us.

This is a strange place at times, some of he arguments being put against our young talisman are arguments I’d expect to see in articles penned by Tom English or John Hartson.

I have to admit as someone who supports Rangers, I don't really care what a player does after they depart.

Morelos might go on to play for Liverpool in 10 years etc - magic, great - means little to me as I don't support Liverpool.

It is why for instance when talking about Miller for example, age, circumstance of departure etc means little to me personally when assessing something like this.

I am more concerned about the better player for Rangers etc rather than proposed career trajectory.

Rino Gattuso had an unquestionably better career as a football player than Steven Davis, Steven Davis was the better Rangers player by a country mile.

How long has Defoe been playing for Rangers?

Rangers strikers need to score goals against the Yahoos and win trophies. It's not all Alfie's fault but, sooner or later, he has to do it. Sir Alex scored 24 goals in his first season at Rangers but that didn't stop him falling out of favour as it did nothing to arrest Celtic's dominance.

Sir Alex played for Rangers a long long time ago and the circumstances aren’t remotely similar so I’m not sure why that’s relevant here. But yes, he’ll be expected to do it now that the team has gotten better, but holding a lack of trophies against him to this point? That’s fucking bollocks because our team simply hasn’t been good enough to win any since he’s been here and if you stuck Jelavic or Miller in our side in place of Morelos last season we still wouldn’t be champions now.

Simply put, he's a player that in 8-10 years time, we'll scarcely believe he played for us. He's THAT good, and it's mental to think what he might become.

In response to the question, I like a few others had Jela above him, but not now. He's really developed his first touch and discipline and for me, he's no. 1 now.

Sir Alex played for Rangers a long long time ago and the circumstances aren’t remotely similar so I’m not sure why that’s relevant here. But yes, he’ll be expected to do it now that the team has gotten better, but holding a lack of trophies against him to this point? That’s fucking bollocks because our team simply hasn’t been good enough to win any since he’s been here and if you stuck Jelavic or Miller in our side in place of Morelos last season we still wouldn’t be champions now.

Playing for Rangers had the same pressure back then, son. It wasn't invented in 2018.

Some of the hyperbole needs to be dampened down a bit and some of the unintentional disrespect given to some players needs to be calmed down too. Alfie has done well but has a long way to go. To see people casually dismiss 30 years of Rangers strikers is bizarre and borderline hysterical.

Playing for Rangers had the same pressure back then, son. It wasn't invented in 2018.

Some of the hyperbole needs to be dampened down a bit and some of the unintentional disrespect given to some players needs to be calmed down too. Alfie has done well but has a long way to go. To see people casually dismiss 30 years of Rangers strikers is bizarre and borderline hysterical.

Sir Alex played in a different Rangers side in a different era Grandad. And I’d also argue that the pressures have changed given our players now operate in the era of live games and TV analysis and social media where they are under constant scrutiny.

You’ve sort of glossed over my last point by the way. If your issue is that you feel very protective over players of yesteryear (understandable in many cases) and don’t want anyone taking their place, just say that. To say there’s been disrespect is really stretching it though, many people have made their case and done so using valid arguments, on the flip side, we’ve seen invalid arguments like “yes well the lesser sides Morelos has played in haven’t won trophies so he individually, is not as good as these other guys”.

Sir Alex played in a different Rangers side in a different era Grandad. And I’d also argue that the pressures have changed given our players now operate in the era of live games and TV analysis and social media where they are under constant scrutiny.

You’ve sort of glossed over my last point by the way. If your issue is that you feel very protective over players of yesteryear (understandable in many cases) and don’t want anyone taking their place, just say that. To say there’s been disrespect is really stretching it though, many people have made their case and done so using valid arguments, on the flip side, we’ve seen invalid arguments like “yes well the lesser sides Morelos has played in haven’t won trophies so he individually, is not as good as these other guys”.

When Alfie has played and scored in Champions League, cup finals, Old Firm games and title run-ins then I think it's fair. He hasn't done any of these things. Not entirely his fault - as needs to be pointed out again - but running amok against Livingston and Hearts is not enough for people to lose their minds. The fans have been starved of an idol for a long, long time so it's only right people enjoy it while they can. And he will go for lots of money. But some perspective from older, wiser heads is always necessary against young yins with no experience or knowledge of history and are naturally going to be excitable. It's the E numbers, I think.

LOL.

Yeah I love the irony bud, you literally said you’d choose Jelavic because his goals led to trophies. Well Jerome walked away with a league cup winners medal and Defoe has no medals.

Let’s be logical and admit it’s an idiotic stance to take when honours are won by the collective team and Alfredo has till now, not been part of a team good enough to win any. If you want to be even fairer you could also factor in his age and relative lack of experience when compared with the others.

He’d probably be 3rd on my personal list, but I wouldn’t be daft enough to use a lack of silverware against him, unless maybe we had a realistic chance of winning silverware and we lost out purely because he personally played like shit or repeatedly cost us.

This is a strange place at times, some of he arguments being put against our young talisman are arguments I’d expect to see in articles penned by Tom English or John Hartson.

Utterly bizarre comment.

It's a football forum, where we discuss our individual opinions.

Some of those might not correspond with your own but at least have the decency to accept that we're all bears here and leave the consdescension out of it.

I happen to think Jelavic was a better striker for Rangers than what Alfredo has been so far. If that upsets you then I couldn't care less.

Back