Club Statement

What I suspect is that case is this - with their capacity for sales Sports Direct could not be written out of Castore selling them product. If they were then the "matching" element of the old contract would kick in - or at least be arguable in court.

The date if 1st August must be significant - I presume that is when the old contact to sell old stock runs out.

If Sports Direct buy stock from Castore then they are doing so like any other business. Their risk if it doesn't sell.
They couldn't have been any clearer that we have no further connection with SD. They've not misled anyone, you would be stupid to think it would only be on sale through Rangers or Castore. It was obviously going to be in other sports shops.
If that's true I missed it, and apologize. However, I dont recall SD ever being specifically named by the club. Mark's comment makes a lot of sense. I think their are some legacy issues we need to be patient with.

However, it still baffles me Castore would want their name associated with SD.

Thing is its ok people saying , buy direct, but say that too a flustered maw, whoos kid wanys the shirt . But needs to try it on 1st or atleast size it up against them.. if a SD is near they will get dragged to that instead of over to Ibrox.. SD WILL MAKE money from our badge, directly or undirectly..thats a fact

So Castore are letting them sell the kits on their behalf? We still get our same % regardless?

Hope Castore know what they are doing because he’ll try and sting them somewhere. I also hope Bears don’t buy strips from SD even if they are 5-10 quid cheaper. You’ll always get some though.
Sadly you can guarantee a large chunk will to get it a fiver cheaper
The same lot that shopped in the megastore.

Fair enough.

Guess it’s two parts; Castore as a business need to grow and develop, with that comes a need to engage the main players in the market.

The second part, for the minimal predicted sales, it’s a shame to even have their name on our supply chain.

Maybe Castore should have called that out, imo.

No, you're the switched on thinker mate.

Its the rest of us idiots that are naive enough to think that when we're told there will be "no association with SD", we believe it.
Rangers don’t have an association with SD.
They have purchased our tops and are selling them in their shops. Big deal.
It’s a sports equipment shop that sells sports gear.
They sell a range of strips, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid, Barca even the Tim’s.
Do any of those clubs have an association with SD, do they %^*& and we have as much association with them as all those other clubs ie they sell our tops and nothing more, difference now is they pay a premium to get them

No, you're the switched on thinker mate.

Its the rest of us idiots that are naive enough to think that when we're told there will be "no association with SD", we believe it.

Its no more an association with Sports Direct than it is with any other retailer. I'm not sure what folk want the club to do apart from ban them from stocking Rangers merchandise.

Like others have said, our fans have avoided that place due to the well documented problems we have had with them and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

I’m no retail expert and obviously no fan of Sports Direct.

But my take on it would be that like Adidas, Umbro, Nike etc it wouldn’t make sense to only deal and sell through one company.

All the big brands aren’t exclusive to one retailer and we are no different.

I would guess that we as a club will get the same amount of money from whoever sells our kit.

The retailer will have a seller’s percentage per sale and the club will get their money wether the kit is bought direct from Castore or from one of the many places that sell football kits.

We couldn’t meet demand if we only sold through Castore unless they had a chain of shops.

Dead simple.....only buy direct from Rangers/Castore and don’t listen to any nonsense from our enemies.

So 40,000 or so shifted by Castore in less than a day. I would put the over / under of units of our kit sold by SD in the month of August at about 100. Quite rightly, nobody will buy from SD.

Surely one of the most mental (menstrual?) threads ever? Our retail partner is selling some tops in the UKs largest sports chain. Yes we all hate SD, but business is business and we don’t risk a penny, indeed will make money. You’d think Ashley had got a seat on the board reading some of these posts.

This thread is relatively chill compared to the locked one :D

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
We couldnt settle a dispute with Sports Direct whilst setting up an agreement with someone else that was specifically told to exclude them. Would have been hammered in the courts again.

I dont believe we have any deal with them, do I think we agreed to ensure they got same access to strips as others via Castore. Probably

Rangers don’t have an association with SD.
They have purchased our tops and are selling them in their shops. Big deal.
It’s a sports equipment shop that sells sports gear.
They sell a range of strips, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid, Barca even the Tim’s.
Do any of those clubs have an association with SD, do they %^*& and we have as much association with them as all those other clubs ie they sell our tops and nothing more, difference now is they pay a premium to get them
Correcto!
Some people are struggling to grasp SD is a sports shop that sells all the best and most famous club shirts from around the world.

Your grandma and grandads buying rangers kit for grandkids birthdays/Xmas may be oblivious to the going’s on. If we ultimately benefit then so be it. As long as those in the know give the fat Coont f Uck all.

I can't imagine any Rangers fan is going to buy it from SD? You'd think that stock will just sit there.

Surely the very simple solution to the SD issue is just to buy direct, everyone has internet and can order online. Absolutely nobody is forced to walk into a SD store to buy Rangers gear.
You’d think it should be simple, wouldn’t you?

Am I jumping with joy that SD will get our tops to sell? No, not really. Does it bother me that much? Absolutely not, because direct or other retail will have it and I won’t be over a SD door. It shouldn’t be rocket science, but some people seem to want to make it so

Makes sense. As I assumed would have been the case. They are arseholes, but they are still one of the biggest sports retailers in the UK. So of course they will distribute stuff. Common sense says don't buy from the fat cvnt of course
They are a glorified jumble sale selling tat galore and I refuse to enter.

Dafties will still go in and shop.

My take on this:

Rangers and Castore should have been ahead of the curve with this and shouldn’t have been issuing statements 3-hours after SD, they must have known this was agreed for SD to sell shirts.

Castore should be well well warned about doing any business at all with SD, they have gone out their way to shaft suppliers before (Google Hi-Tec and SD) and they are playing with fire.

Our Supporters have the ultimate chance to leave SD shelves and hangers full of their first batch, and I don’t expect SD will order any more.

Luckily, SD waited until 5pm before their trolling, or they could have really fkd up Day 1.

I remain disappointed that they have any connection to Rangers, but we have it in our power to make their stock worthless.

Castore better get the cash up front because that fat %^*& would try anything.
He's got a reputation for ordering in bulk and paying late and occasionally not at all resulting in you guessed it court.

Cash up front is the way to go but it isn't how he or the world works and that remains a concern.

In other words hes a fat bastard who tries it on and pulls fast ones with suppliers, staff and partners as well as the paying public.

I don’t really see what the purpose of dealing with Sports Direct is. People can make the excuse that it’s the UK’s biggest distributor, but what Rangers fan is really going to buy from them? It’s a bit of a PR own goal from Castore because regardless of the club’s statement rightly or wrongly there will be people out there now who are suspicious of Ashley lurking in the background.

The message to buy direct from Rangers needs to be made very clear.

I bet they sell it cheaper than RRP.

I'm still not happy with them being able to sell it tbh, simply because there's enough idiots in our support that will buy it from them.

I think most people thought Castore would be using online sales and specific stores, and would be cutting SD out the picture altogether. I can understand the frustration, but It's easy enough to simply not use them.

Thing is its ok people saying , buy direct, but say that too a flustered maw, whoos kid wanys the shirt . But needs to try it on 1st or atleast size it up against them.. if a SD is near they will get dragged to that instead of over to Ibrox.. SD WILL MAKE money from our badge, directly or undirectly..thats a fact
Spot on mate, hate that fat poet

Not every kid who wants a Rangers top is a Rangers fan. How many Barca and Real Madrid shirts do you see kids wearing. Their parents don’t buy direct from either club. Rangers fans in the UK will probably buy direct from the club online but if we are serious about regaining our global profile it is important to maximise the number of retail outlets throughout the rest of the UK that carry our shirts. The important thing now is that every sale provides a good royalty for the club, irrespective of where it takes place.

Surely it’s easy, if you have internet and can use it, you order all the gear there. If you’re grandparents age and don’t visit a Scottish Castore shop for gear, so be it and we ultimately benefit through Sports Direct without having a direct arrangement, they want us not us wanting them. Finally and importantly, if it’s UK wide with SD, were UK wide and that’s no bad thing.

It's fairly simple to comprehend. Buy direct from Castore or from the Rangers shop. Don't buy it from sports direct or any other retailer.

So we're still dealing indirectly with Sports Direct, who will also benefit from selling our tops (which they will, not everyone will get direct from Castore). That wasn't the narrative presented to us before the launch.
No we are not! Castore as the manufacturers will deal with many retailers to maximise profit. We get a share of everything they sell that’s how it works.

I must admit that I was worried about all this SD nonsense earlier but with all the facts now out in the open it makes sense I suppose.
Can’t be stressed enough though to BUY DIRECT.

Back