Match Thread Rangers v Coventry City, Friendly, Saturday 25 July 2020 - 5.15pm kickoff - live on Premier Sports 1

Was a good game that. We were well on top, albeit without the cutting edge in the first half. The young boys linking up at the end there (Barjo outside of the foot to wee Nathan) was glorious.

We look sharp and entertaining so far this year. Looking forward to the sheep pen next weekend now!

I get that people don’t like him and he’s a huffy bastard at times. But reading the comments you’d think he was just some expendable striker and not the player who really drove us on during our best spells of the last 2 seasons, or the player with whom his loss of form saw more or less the collapse of our entire season.

I have to be honest with you.

I haven’t seen anything that says Alfredo is expendable. He isn’t and he’s single handedly hauled us through so many big games.

which is why it’s so galling to see his current slump. Actually to call it a mere slump is doing it a disservice.

Expendable ? No. But also not beyond criticism. Fanboys seem to act like any criticism of Alfredo is doing a disservice to what he has achieved for us in the past.

I know what he can do for us, and we need him to start doing it again.

I'm happy with that over all. Played well, knocked it about with confidence and showed signs of being almighty in counter attack. Won all our pre-seasons, won a trophy, looking good going forward into the season. The future's bright...well you know the rest :))

Good second half that, introduced a bit more penetration going forward and our extra quality over Coventry showed.

Would love to see a midfielder brought in this week who can offer something going forward to play alongside Kamara and Aribo in the three.

Think it was a decent friendly to play , up against tactics we will face in the league and gerrard will know whats needed to freshen it up ,striker will be brought in but of what quality only time will tell

Despite another questionable episode from Morelos that was a pleasing run out, 4 clean sheets regardless of them being friendlies is brilliant.

ooh we are going to see a lot of patterson this year and i for one cant wait
theres going to be some games where he gets noticed then the rags will link him to any other club just like they do with morelos because they'll realise just how good he is

So far:
Played: 4
Won: 4
Goals For: 10
Goals Against: 0
If you read the comments on here at half time you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd be as well just throwing in the towel and locking the gates!
:rolleyes:
That’s because if we repeat that 1st half showing in our domestic games then we’ll do nothing this season

Can definitely see Barjonas fulfilling the Andy Halliday utility man role this year if we don’t send him out on loan again.

Thought Patterson showed up well there as well.

Decent workout all in, which is what you want from pre-season ultimately.

Halliday could play in more than 1 position, Barjonas doesn't.

Not much of a utility man.

Had a swatch at the Coventry forum match thread, made this one look insightful.

Deluded doesn’t come close

I'd like to see one or two forward players added but otherwise feel okay with our squad. Stewart as our centre forward I think, everyone else is too lightweight to mix it up against the SPFL defenders IMO.

Good Break, Patterson has done well
He in my
I really like the look of Patterson, hope to see a lot more of him this season

Covers the ground very well and has consistently got into good areas in the final third every time I've seen him. Also love the fact he obviously seems to have a bit about him too in having a nibble at the ref about the lack of a pen and then leaving one on the opponent at the end there to stop their counter attack
At last an attacking full back that doesn't give the ball away often.

As a player I love the guy. When he's on his game, he can ragdoll just about any centre back you can think of, he scores all kinds of goals, and we will be very lucky to find a replacement near as good.

But at the same time, we shouldn't let our admiration for him hide his glaring deficiencies. Every season so far he has had spells he looked hopeless in front of goal, but worse also spells he blatantly disrespected his team mates with either huffs or indiscipline. He's been great for us, but by God we've been every bit as good for him.

Running up the tunnel in a huff today in a friendly was ridiculous. And no matter how much I love the guy, it needs called out as not good enough.

Morelos comments get painted as either fanboy stuff or as hating him.

You can actually criticise but like him too.
Forget all the theatrics, he had a good game. Unselfish, link up play, just needed a goal. Which I'm sure he will save for next weekend! Then we can all love him again, huffs and all

So far:
Played: 4
Won: 4
Goals For: 10
Goals Against: 0
If you read the comments on here at half time you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd be as well just throwing in the towel and locking the gates!
:rolleyes:
In fairness, they were awful in the first half but they deserve all the plaudits going for their second half performance.

A worthwhile workout. Coventry gave a good account of themselves, considering their preparation (or lack of).
A couple of lessons
we need to be much more cynical
the defence is still not 100% right
We will never get a fair performance from a Scottish referee.
We are the people.

Not quite there yet, but are getting there

Time to have a few glasses of liquid dinner.

You’re ignoring the critical point though.

We simply cannot afford an Alfredo Morelos who only scores 1 or two goals in 20 odd games.

If he stays and is our main striker, then we don’t have much of a chance of winning the league if his 2020 output continues as it has.
Are you on glue! We have a young striker worth 8 figures scored 14 goals in Europe last year.

You think if he stays we don't have a chance of winning the league??

I have to be honest with you.

I haven’t seen anything that says Alfredo is expendable. He isn’t and he’s single handedly hauled us through so many big games.

which is why it’s so galling to see his current slump. Actually to call it a mere slump is doing it a disservice.

Expendable ? No. But also not beyond criticism. Fanboys seem to act like any criticism of Alfredo is doing a disservice to what he has achieved for us in the past.

I know what he can do for us, and we need him to start doing it again.

No player is beyond criticism. But on this thread I’ve seen people criticise his passing and his general input in these friendlies which tells me one of two things; that they’re one of the clan who have made it abundantly clear over the last few years that they don’t like him, or they know hee haw about football.

His form in front of goal is worrying, his overall player was good, and much better the majority of the side.

Much better in the second half. Aribo starting to impact the game every week now and looks a real goal threat which is badly needed.

Morelos contributed a lot with his link up play but needs to sharpen up in front of goal. At least in the last few games others have stepped up and contributed goals.

Some of them are either dim, or just vindictive. There’s a number of players I’d be looking at before him, some of them are on the protected list though.
Infuriating mate and I love his passion at being removed from a FRIENDLY! he lives for goals

We'll need to be better than that at Pittrodrie next week, that's for sure. We had the same old problem of struggling to break down a dogged defence for much of the match.

I'm surprised he kept Aribo on for so long, expected to take him off after 60 mins max, a key player for next week.

Decent performance except for a sluggish period in the first half.
Thought Arfield added a bit of strength when he came on and a good run-out for Helander ahead of the start of competitive games.

Back