Is Messi going to shortly be a problem for Barca?

Have you watched him lately?

I don't have a problem with admitting that he's easily the best central midfield attacking player I have ever witnessed in my life. Yet despite the quote to the contrary, class isn't permament in football it's fleeting and Messi wouldn't get a start with Juve, Liverpool or Bayern on his current form.

Where is your carer mate?

A 33 year old Messi walks right into the starting 11 of any club in the world.
Anyone thinking different needs to give themselves a shake.

As far Barca, I honestly feel Messi and Barca have grown to a stage where they need to move on without one another. Barca sure as hell need a rebuild and Messi needs a new challenge in an environment where he has no involvement on club/team decisions and can focus just on what he does on the pitch.

I don't have a problem with admitting that he's easily the best central midfield attacking player I have ever witnessed in my life. Yet despite the quote to the contrary, class isn't permament in football it's fleeting and Messi wouldn't get a start with Juve, Liverpool or Bayern on his current form.

No wonder everyone’s ripping the pish out of you

A 33 year old Messi walks right into the starting 11 of any club in the world.
Anyone thinking different needs to give themselves a shake.

As far Barca, I honestly feel Messi and Barca have grown to a stage where they need to move on without one another. Barca sure as hell need a rebuild and Messi needs a new challenge in an environment where he has no involvement on club/team decisions and can focus just on what he does on the pitch.
100% agree with that.

No wonder everyone’s ripping the pish out of you
Yeah, I probably underestimated the fanboy love for Messi on here.

It's probably just as well that I never mentioned that the Portuguese Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi.

Edit. Ahh Shit.

I would expect that he probably has his own personal targets that he wants to achieve but at the same time I’m also sure that he’s fully aware that Barca are skint & on the decline.

If I was him I’d be telling my agent the to find me offers.

Last edited:
Realistically where could Messi go?

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.
I am a million miles from a Messi fanboy but this post is utterly ridiculous.

Wait till the fanboys descend on you.

You know what mate? I reckon Messi is still more than good enough to play for any club in the world.

Maybe he’s not as capable at doing what he once did, but he’s still better than 99.9% of footballers plying their trade today.

Yes he is. I'm 64 and he's the greatest player iv ever seen. That said everyone loses it. The half yard of pace that makes it look easy. Watching Suarez tonight he's lost a full yard of pace and looks done

I love Messi and don't want to see him being dominated by lesser players. He's a billionaire and should chuck it rather than be third in the league and a CL quarter finalist.

For me it's close to being over.

Yeah sure he could still be better than most but he's been the best in the world for decade.

Time to chuck it.

Stop digging. Or fishing.

There is an issue at the top end of European clubs where the signing policy is dictated by player marketing...ie who can bring in sponsorship big bucks....Only massive clubs not doing that are liverpool and bayern instead they sign players for the position they need to upgrade......your utds Barca real juve have gone down a bad path in recent yrs

Aye Messi only had 31 goals and 26 assists in 44 games that season. Hes getting a bit pish.

are we no still looking for someone in the front 3? get him signed, on a serious note, Barca is fucked when Messi leaves/retires, he's one player who is truly irreplaceable, all his goals and attcking play gone, got a feeling they may buy bigger/taller players in the future, who'd had thought that Naymar leaving a few years back would set them back so much

Griezmann was a duff signing. Not because he is not a quality player, he is, but where was he ever fitting in to that system.

P.S Xavi would be a mug to touch that job just now. Major rebuild and huge questions over finances even before COVID

He was a great signing for Valverde's system.

4-3-1-2, Suarez and Griezmann as the strikers, Messi as a classic number 10 who dictates play, two shuttle runners that can play, a defensive-minded midfielder who is an option and can dictate the tempo and read the play from deep and the width coming from the two wing-backs.

It's turgid to watch if the opposition double up on the wing-backs, but it's effective due to the attrition and quality in the middle.

As soon as the new guy was determined to play a 4-3-3, they were done. Ter Stegen will never be able to play like Allison or Ederson, Pique can't bring the ball out of defence and play a high line in his mid 30's and Griezmann can't play as a winger and Busquets has never been able to hold that midfield together all by himself.

Realistically where could Messi go?

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.
I have always preferred Ronaldo to Messi but I can’t honestly take this opinion seriously, he is playing in the worst Barca side in 15 years and still posts figures like that.

There isn’t a team in the EPL he wouldn’t walk into the starting 11 for, even at 33.

I still cant believe they could have had a midfield pairing of Arthur and Thiago but have sold both.

What are they thinking signing another 30+ year old in Pjanic?

Doesn't matter how good Messi is, when a player is at a club for that long stagnation is always a risk.

Moving on might be the best for both parties at this stage, tweaking the system and attempting to get the best out of Griezmann and Coutinho is one option.

I have always preferred Ronaldo to Messi but I can’t honestly take this opinion seriously, he is playing in the worst Barca side in 15 years and still posts figures like that.

There isn’t a team in the EPL he wouldn’t walk into the starting 11 for, even at 33.

Honestly, It's like people don't have the grasp of the reality that the game of football is completely different in different countries. Messi is a fantastic football player and easily one of the best ever, but there is no way on earth that he would have been as effective a player as he has been in any other league as he has in Spain.

It's like pulling teeth with some "experts" on here.

I think he would do well in Italy imo, or for Man City in particular if he did choose the premiership. Having said that though, i think hes more likely to go home as you suggest. I think that would be a nice way for him to finish his career. Ultimately though im not sure. I think he has options, but it does depend where his minds at, as you suggest

Home is Cataonia.

Honestly, It's like people don't have the grasp of the reality that the game of football is completely different in different countries. Messi is a fantastic football player and easily one of the best ever, but there is no way on earth that he would have been as effective a player as he has been in any other league as he has in Spain.

Why are you insisting that your opinion is fact? There is no way of knowing this.

You're the only one without a grasp of reality.

It’s like pulling teeth and I don’t have a grasp on reality because I think Messi would be a superstar in another league and you don’t ??

It you like any other sports then stick with them

Barcelona look like a team who could be going back to the stage just before Rijkaard took the job on , a top 4 Spanish side instead of out and out untouchable , the run they have had and success is incredible though

Ronaldinho - deco - xavi - eto’o - iniesta - puyol - victor valdes - Henry - Neymar - Suarez - Dani Alves - Thuram - abidal - gio v.b

Some unreal talent amongst others have been seen in the Catalan colours over the last decade and a half , been a joy to watch but they could , as a poster said above , the Man Utd of Spain for the next couple of years.

Reminded me of the time Germany scudded Brazil, sometimes great teams can get served their arse on a plate and the Germans always seem to be the ones carrying the trays.
Barcelona aren't really a great team anymore(relatively) though, nobody quite saw a scoreline that big but I think everyone knew that Bayern were going to give them a doing.

Would like to see him move tbh

I've never bought into the fairly risible claim that he needs to move to another league to "prove" something. He doesn't have to prove anything. He's the best player of his generation. His moving now would only be so that his career doesn't fizzle out at Barcelona, which it most likely will if he decides to stay at the basket case.

If he went to Man City, he'd tear it up. In fact, I'd say he'd comfortably smash whatever the record is for most goals in an EPL season.

Barcelona aren't really a great team anymore(relatively) though, nobody quite saw a scoreline that big but I think everyone knew that Bayern were going to give them a doing.
They are a bang average team with a world class player. They have been due a skelping like that.

If this was the case, why does Messi regularly score and assist in the CL against the top teams from the leagues he is apparently not good enough for?

Would like to see him move tbh

I've never bought into the fairly risible claim that he needs to move to another league to "prove" something. He doesn't have to prove anything. He's the best player of his generation. His moving now would only be so that his career doesn't fizzle out at Barcelona, which it most likely will if he decides to stay at the basket case.

If he went to Man City, he'd tear it up. In fact, I'd say he'd comfortably smash whatever the record is for most goals in an EPL season.
Ronaldo has been as good in different leagues, that's where it comes from.

Messi's peak is probably the highest of all time but Ronaldo has been more impressive on average and has had a better career as a result.

Think he's left it too late to prove otherwise, would like to be wrong though

It’s like pulling teeth and I don’t have a grasp on reality because I think Messi would be a superstar in another league and you don’t ??
Okay, I'll entertain you. How do you think that Messi will become a superstar in England or Italy?

Okay, I'll entertain you. How do you think that Messi will become a superstar in England or Italy?
Messi would excel in Italy, England at his age is up for debate but in his prime he would have been just as good as he was in Spain.

He is without doubt the most talented footballer to ever live, he could easily thrive in a new environment, talking as if it's definitely beyond him is just nonsense

Messi seems to decide who plays/signs an awful lot of the time. That’s a shocker.

Either give him the managers role or get in someone who will start to make
Decisions and deal with the Messi fall out.
Who was the last great ‘player-manager’? It was all the rage in the 80s/90s

To be honest conceding 8 goals in a game would suggest the problem is not around Messi but the defending. I just think their cycle is coming to an end & with no Cruyff/Guardiola type figure to lead them they may struggle. I think the guys they really miss are Xavi & Iniesta two absolutely fantastic midfielders

Back