Is Messi going to shortly be a problem for Barca?

A part of their problem which was mentioned on the show there was the clique nature to the club . It seems if you come in and messi dont like you then you have no chance, cant just be a coincidence that great players go there and suddenly become shit.

Raul , when he was at Real Madrid was exactly the same problem , he didn’t answer to the coach , he went straight upstairs to florentino Perez with all his gripes , it caused a lot of shit for a while

Realistically where could Messi go?

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.

Why would he be in effective in any country?

Messi isn't the problem at Barca. Tonight they had Pique, Alba, Busquets, Vidal, and Suarez who, along with Messi, are the wrong side of 30; all possibly the best in the world in their respective positions at one stage in their careers, but not now. You could get away with one or two, but having more than half your starting 11 at that age is asking for trouble, no matter who it is and how prolonged players' careers are now. On the bench, Rakitic is about 32 and Griezmann will be 30 in about 6 months. Messi should probably stay but it's the others I'd be looking to ship out.

The end of a golden era for Barcelona, they have tried to stop it by buying established players, but a rebuild is needed with younger talent to freshen them up . Interesting to see who they go for as manager

Barca are a footballing soap opera. Not that being a soap opera is unique in football it just happens that Barca are well Barcelona. There is so many problems at that club both on and off field it would take a 500 page book to go through all the mess and explain it as a few posts on this forum won’t scratch the surface.
They really are facing a huge job to sort all of it out.

Messi could play in any league and be a success. For robobear to claim otherwise is just comical.

The problem with the Barcelona team was the defence last night which looked like everytime Bayern attacked they had a great chance to score. The rest of the team though needs to take things in more and not expect Messi to do it all. When Neymar was there he also stood up and was willing to take things on when things were getting tough.

I must admit though I don't see him as a captain on nights like last night. The club needed a bastard as captain last night to be giving the players proper grief with their performance but you just don't get that from him. They need a Puyol replacement (Sergio Ramos perfect example at Madrid) to do that.

There are some good players in the squad with done promising youngsters coming through (Fati and Puig) but they need to look at getting players for the system and not just buying big name players.

Real are just as bad at that with buying big names but then not knowing how to play them in their system.

So you wrote:

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So you say he's not got the ability to play, then you said no one could afford him. To me that is two different arguments, what bit aren't we understanding?
"Messi would be ineffective in England, Italy and Germany" is mental :D

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.
F##k it bud I'm gonna agree with you, he is in the twilight of his career and is only going to get slower. He is an old man now and would no doubt be ineffectual in faster leagues.

Messi could play in any league and be a success. For robobear to claim otherwise is just comical.

The problem with the Barcelona team was the defence last night which looked like everytime Bayern attacked they had a great chance to score. The rest of the team though needs to take things in more and not expect Messi to do it all. When Neymar was there he also stood up and was willing to take things on when things were getting tough.

I must admit though I don't see him as a captain on nights like last night. The club needed a bastard as captain last night to be giving the players proper grief with their performance but you just don't get that from him. They need a Puyol replacement (Sergio Ramos perfect example at Madrid) to do that.

There are some good players in the squad with done promising youngsters coming through (Fati and Puig) but they need to look at getting players for the system and not just buying big name players.

Real are just as bad at that with buying big names but then not knowing how to play them in their system.
Agree with this. Fantastic player as he is, I don’t think he’s a good captain.

You don't agree he's one of the best players in the world?
Of course he is!but other people do have opinions,not getting into the argument of who was the best!I'm nearly 70 mate and seen some Wonderful players my fav.foreign one was Alfredo di Stefano, football ball has changed over the years and in our time,you looked at a player domestically and internationally,to me the wee Messi is untouchable domestically,but at internationally never hit the heights he should have!Did he not have the players around him like last night,When your team is getting beat in a major tournament you want a player like our manager in it to turn games around!Yes Messi is probably the best of this generation,but not mine,mind you I never took to him after he slated us for playi g anti football against them!I was at that game and kicked every ball,and we deserved our draw that night,think people forget defending was or is still an art,not always about attackers,as our. Manchester run proved! C'mon the gers

Have you watched him lately?

I don't have a problem with admitting that he's easily the best central midfield attacking player I have ever witnessed in my life. Yet despite the quote to the contrary, class isn't permament in football it's fleeting and Messi wouldn't get a start with Juve, Liverpool or Bayern on his current form.
As I said previously, some inmates from Carstairs have escaped and here is proof.

Of course he is!but other people do have opinions,not getting into the argument of who was the best!I'm nearly 70 mate and seen some Wonderful players my fav.foreign one was Alfredo di Stefano, football ball has changed over the years and in our time,you looked at a player domestically and internationally,to me the wee Messi is untouchable domestically,but at internationally never hit the heights he should have!Did he not have the players around him like last night,When your team is getting beat in a major tournament you want a player like our manager in it to turn games around!Yes Messi is probably the best of this generation,but not mine,mind you I never took to him after he slated us for playi g anti football against them!I was at that game and kicked every ball,and we deserved our draw that night,think people forget defending was or is still an art,not always about attackers,as our. Manchester run proved! C'mon the gers
He never slated us mate that was mischief making from the Scottish press as per usual. You could have put Ronaldo Messi and Mbappe in that Barcelona line up last night and they'd still have got pumped. The midfield and defence is woeful.

I'm not sure Messi was to blame for. The absolute state of that Barca defence.
I only saw 20 minutes of highlights and that display from the defence was truly woeful. If they were like that the whole game I'm surprised it was only 8 goals they lost. In fact in the highlights they were lucky it wasn't 3 or 4 more.

I only saw 20 minutes of highlights and that display from the defence was truly woeful. If they were like that the whole game I'm surprised it was only 8 goals they lost. In fact in the highlights they were lucky it wasn't 3 or 4 more.
It should have been double figures.

This for me is akin to Milan with the likes of Nesta, Maldini etc going over the hill at the same time surrounded by mediocre players.

That Bayern team tonight had 2 players that Barcelona should have starting.
Coutinho and Thiago. Miles better than anything else in that Barca lineup outside Messi and Suarez.
Bayern got shot of Vidal for a reason, he wasn’t good enough going into the future for them.

However the biggest issue has been that they can’t defend. Madrid in the main part are pretty sound defensively.

Messi seems to decide who plays/signs an awful lot of the time. That’s a shocker.

Either give him the managers role or get in someone who will start to make
Decisions and deal with the Messi fall out.

Daily Record, Match 2017. :))

Lionel Messi is reported to have told Barcelona chiefs that the capture of Celtics striker Moussa Dembele may help him commit to signing a new deal with the La Liga giants.

There has been a complete mis-management of Barcelona for the past five years and most of their signings have been shocking. They seemed to move away from signing the homegrown, Spanish players who were technically gifted and instead going for other foreign players who didn’t seem to fit or weren’t good enough (Griezmann, Vidal, Prince-Boateng, Umtiti etc.). Thiago should’ve been in that Barcelona midfield last night but instead they signed Vidal from Bayern Munich at the time and he just seems to run around like a headless chicken.

I do think Messi is also culpable in some ways. Whenever you watch them it seems like people are almost afraid not to pass to him. Even if there’s a better option on, some will always try and get the ball to Messi, Suarez in particular. That and the fact he seems to sign a new contract every year with a pay rise. Despite him possibly being the greatest player to ever play, he doesn’t need to be on that much and if he took a little less, they could put that money towards getting him some better teammates.

Honestly, It's like people don't have the grasp of the reality that the game of football is completely different in different countries. Messi is a fantastic football player and easily one of the best ever, but there is no way on earth that he would have been as effective a player as he has been in any other league as he has in Spain.

It's like pulling teeth with some "experts" on here.
As effective, it’s hard to say conclusively. However, you would probably look at his performances in the Champions league where he has excelled against the best teams from the English, German, Italian, French leagues etc and scored 115 goals and got 39 assists in 143 appearances and conclude - he would have been incredible wherever he played.

Got to laugh at this forum, people on here slaughtering messi as if he’s terrible but want us to sign, lyndon dykes, scott allan, allan campbell etc. Do people actually watch football? Genuinely don’t understand what some people watch. Going on about a MENS game and all this hahahah wit?! Unreal mentality

Said it in the other thread. Would never tire of punching his smug little face. Was brilliant watching him get knocked about like a schoolboy out there today.

Messi that's how MEN play. This is a MAN'S sport.

A nonsense post.

I think he’s done enough in his career to show he’s one of the best players on the modern age.

Messi can drop back into midfield as his vision and passing is the best in the world at it.
People honestly saying Messi couldn't tear up a league that has Jamie Vardy and and Danny Ings as top goalscorers? Haha.

I don't deny Messi is a phenomenon but if I was to choose one of them to play for us then I'd choose Ronaldo.
Why?

Wether you like Messi or Ronaldo better is purely based on opinion

But I feel like Messi would work best for rangers by a long shot. Given were up against 10 men defences I'd rather have Messi dribble his way through the whole team and break it down than Ronaldo I think

Playing for Spain's Arsenal is a Messi business. They can't keep relying on Juan Guy.

Watch him sign a new contract this week, with an extra 100k

#BARCENAL

In a league where:
  • Danny Ings, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford and Tammy Abraham are among the top scorers
  • Emi Buendia, Andy Robertson, Harvey Barnes, Jack Grealish, Daniel James and Ashley Westwood are among the top assisters
Lionel Messi would struggle to make an impact.

Follow Follow at it's utterly mental best.

I’d like to hope that particular poster has woken up this morning with a raging hangover and realised what a James Hunt he made of himself last night.
Hell no.

I stand by my assertions and reiterate the point that most of you lot piling on are misunderstanding what I posted due to your own personal prejudices.

The problem with Messi is Messi.
It might be simpler to break it up into a simple list of pros and cons.

Pros
Incredible player and arguably the greatest of all time
Scores a barrel load of goals
Assists with another ton of goals
Superb passing
Tricky wee player

Cons
Massive wages and that’s before you’d consider a potential fee for him
He is bigger than the club mentality (Rumours abound about him not liking players and they’re dropped etc - see Zlatan, Ronaldinho, etc).
He’s 33. Not past it but he won’t improve. Quite the opposite.

As other posters have said he’s an all time great and he will improve just about any team but at what cost? People say he could play for anyone and that’s true in terms of ability but only elite teams could afford him (unless he was happy to take a big wage cut and go to a lesser team. Some have said Newells). Speaking of elite teams who is he going to replace at those clubs? Is he better than what’s there? More than likely but you then have to move on someone who is younger and still a very good player, probably just as effective and cheaper too. Messi might get you an extra 12 goals a season (assuming he’s replacing a 20 goal a season player) but how much of a difference will these goals make? They might turn 4-0 games into 5-0 games.
Taking all that into account it’s hard to say.
Maybe Man City. Pep would probably get the best out of him. He could replace David Silva.
Maybe Man U or Liverpool would take a punt.
I think he would do very well in Italy personally.
I doubt Bayern would go for him.
PSG would love to have him.

He never slated us mate that was mischief making from the Scottish press as per usual. You could have put Ronaldo Messi and Mbappe in that Barcelona line up last night and they'd still have got pumped. The midfield and defence is woeful.
Would probably have been 8-8 :cool:

Back