Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been linked before but rumour of interest in winger Osayi-Samuel of Fenerbahce/ex QPR

However, it seems Osayi-Samuel might not be enjoying himself in the Turkish Super Lig with Turkish media outlet Fotospor claiming he's keen to return to the UK - with Rangers eyeing a potential deal.

It's thought the pacy winger wouldn't cost an exorbitant fee given he joined Fenerbahce for a nominal price as his QPR contract was coming to an end.

Don't know if this has been linked before but rumour of interest in winger Osayi-Samuel of Fenerbahce/ex QPR

However, it seems Osayi-Samuel might not be enjoying himself in the Turkish Super Lig with Turkish media outlet Fotospor claiming he's keen to return to the UK - with Rangers eyeing a potential deal.

It's thought the pacy winger wouldn't cost an exorbitant fee given he joined Fenerbahce for a nominal price as his QPR contract was coming to an end.
Rumours were flying about him before he went to Turkey, could be lazy journalism but it’s a rumour at least!.

Yeah I imagine the Osayi-Samuel one is purely based on us being linked with him last summer. If we did talk to him last summer and he rejected us for Turkey, I can't see us wanting him now.

Rumours were flying about him before he went to Turkey, could be lazy journalism but it’s a rumour at least!.
My bet would be lazy journalism us and the other side of the city were linked with him at the same time last season when he wanted to move when we could have potentially snapped him up on the cheap/precontract the time to get him in was then now I'd imagine Fenarbache will want a few million and will have been paying the lad a decent wage

Was on daily update. We were linked in January. Fee would be 3 million

Simpson is being under-rated on here I sense. He deserves a chance; he is most certainly not getting the benefit of the doubt. Better on the ball than is appreciated; has better positional sense than is being appreciated; he's made some mistakes, even I can see that, but the potential is definitely there. Give him time, and give him a chance.
I'd love to be wrong but absolutely every game he's played he's looked defensively suspect against everything. Pace, movement, physicality, balls to feet, balls over the top, balls in the channels all give him problems, and he's got poor concentration as well as being a "grabby" marker.

The fastest way to ensure a team is going to win nothing is to shoehorn in defenders who can't defend. I'd like to enter exhibits "Konterman, Bert", "Svennson, Karl" and "Paterson, Craig" into evidence m'lud.

Simpson isn't an SPL center back: he's just a footballer who happens to be tall. I'm delighted for him that he's got a champions medal because he seems like a nice guy. And I hate to slaughter a Rangers player at any time, but honestly I'd say Joe Aribo would be a better option as a cb and he scares the hell out of me defensively any time he's even in our half.

Sorry, Jack.

I honestly have no idea how he fits the pattern we've scouted up to now for defenders. He looks like a Pedro or Murty center half. The very first thing Gerrard did when he came in the door was to identify the need for more physical defenders. It scares me to think he's a player Gerrard apparently coveted, because whatever he saw in youth games years ago isn't there now. Managers get blind spots for some guys like Advocaat preferring Konterman over a multitude of youth team defenders who'd have been more solid options. There are places in a team you can carry passengers but not in the heart of the defense.

Yeah I imagine the Osayi-Samuel one is purely based on us being linked with him last summer. If we did talk to him last summer and he rejected us for Turkey, I can't see us wanting him now.
Was January he moved to Turkey. Last 6 months of his deal.

Reactions: LD5

I don't know why he went to Turkey. It was just one of those moves that you knew was never going to work out.

I'd love to be wrong but absolutely every game he's played he's looked defensively suspect against everything. Pace, movement, physicality, balls to feet, balls over the top, balls in the channels all give him problems, and he's got poor concentration as well as being a "grabby" marker.

The fastest way to ensure a team is going to win nothing is to shoehorn in defenders who can't defend. I'd like to enter exhibits "Konterman, Bert", "Svennson, Karl" and "Paterson, Craig" into evidence m'lud.

Simpson isn't an SPL center back: he's just a footballer who happens to be tall. I'm delighted for him that he's got a champions medal because he seems like a nice guy. And I hate to slaughter a Rangers player at any time, but honestly I'd say Joe Aribo would be a better option as a cb and he scares the hell out of me defensively any time he's even in our half.

Sorry, Jack.

I honestly have no idea how he fits the pattern we've scouted up to now for defenders. He looks like a Pedro or Murty center half. The very first thing Gerrard did when he came in the door was to identify the need for more physical defenders. It scares me to think he's a player Gerrard apparently coveted, because whatever he saw in youth games years ago isn't there now. Managers get blind spots for some guys like Advocaat preferring Konterman over a multitude of youth team defenders who'd have been more solid options. There are places in a team you can carry passengers but not in the heart of the defense.
That’s my initial ‘impression’ too. But couldn’t say that’s what my final analysis of him will be. I understand he’s not played that many senior games and with so little experience may have been bought as a project by developing and teaching him while he’s here. I think on the ball he’s a bit better than you suggest and our recruitment guys must see something in him. To judge him solely on what we’ve seen then I’d come to your conclusion, but let’s not write off the guy so soon. I remember being very critical of a right back we had who was bloody awful until he moved to centre half and became a different player. Too early to say if he’ll be a Craig Moore or as you suggest, a Bert Konterman.
( if the latter I’d still play him in next season’s League Cup Final ! )

As it stands I think we have 6 pretty good central defenders, for the Scottish game. Their record in Europe is not as good as their domestic success. Not a criticism just an observation. Our forwards are free scoring in Europe and a better defensive record, could maybe have seen us progress further. Goldson and Helander are likely to be our first choice this season. Are they good enough to get us to the CL Groups stages, probably. Good enough to compete should we progress? Let's hope we get to find out.

Maybe not for us but the huge lad at Standard Liege Bokadi stood out as someone that could be a rough diamond, played CB and midfield. As you say could put his foot in and wasn't scared of physicality, similar to the Dutch you fully expect a Belgian based player to have good technique as a given also

Yes, it seems like a good balance for us to have our youngsters developing in Ark. I think anyway.

His mentality is one thing you cannot coach Grigo.
The way he's worked on his injury rehab shows the remarkable mental strength he possesses.

I've already said he's currently got weaknesses in his game, but he also possesses a lot of good qualities.
It's definitely not beyond him to develop into a top central defender.

I don't think he's currently as good as our 3 experienced central defenders, but he could be, in time.

And I would never claim anything different from your last point MU, I just have a lot of respect for his attitude & rather than compare him to seasoned & experienced pros, let’s keep working with him in the hope he can get to their level by 26-28.

And for CDs that’s still a hell of a lot of football to be played, whether for us or if we sell him on.

Osayi-Samuel was closer to joining the Mhanks than us before he went to Turkey I’m sure
Not sure where he would play anyway to be honest ...1st choice front 3 has got to be.... Kent - Alfie - Sakala and thats not even mentioning Roofe, Aribo and Hagi

Cant see that one happening at all

The one thing with Katic is that he’s got the same weaknesses currently that he had when he first joined. He’s made no improvement in the time he’s been here in those areas so that’s why I have no belief in him fixing those errors, he’s had plenty time now here to fix them and he hasn’t. I’d put him out on loan for the year and look to sell him afterwards.

Samuel one isn’t happening he’s just signed a 4 year deal in January with them.

Don’t think we’d be happy forking out money when he was a free no long ago.

Both us and them have been heavily linked with him before he moved to Turkey.

Stupid move but that was widely said at the time.

The one thing with Katic is that he’s got the same weaknesses currently that he had when he first joined. He’s made no improvement in the time he’s been here in those areas so that’s why I have no belief in him fixing those errors, he’s had plenty time now here to fix them and he hasn’t. I’d put him out on loan for the year and look to sell him afterwards.
A bit unfair when he hasn't played for a full season

As it stands I think we have 6 pretty good central defenders, for the Scottish game. Their record in Europe is not as good as their domestic success. Not a criticism just an observation. Our forwards are free scoring in Europe and a better defensive record, could maybe have seen us progress further. Goldson and Helander are likely to be our first choice this season. Are they good enough to get us to the CL Groups stages, probably. Good enough to compete should we progress? Let's hope we get to find out.
I think our midfield isn’t good enough to go deep in the EL, not will it be enough to do any better than 3rd in a CL group, and even that will be draw dependant. Slavia and Leverkusen were two major lessons.

No but he has a played two full seasons beforehand, in which he still made the same mistakes over and over again with no improvement.
His distribution could improve but he is very good in the air,a danger at set pieces,and not many big centre forwards would like to be up against him

His distribution could improve but he is very good in the air,a danger at set pieces,and not many big centre forwards would like to be up against him
What does that last part mean?

If a striker has any smarts about him, and isn't just a big physical striker, I don't think they'd mind coming up against a centre half with poor positional sense and very rash decision making.

Likes of Dykes, who is a "big centre forward", had a field day against him.

What does that last part mean?

If a striker has any smarts about him, and isn't just a big physical striker, I don't think they'd mind coming up against a centre half with poor positional sense and very rash decision making.

Likes of Dykes, who is a "big centre forward", had a field day against him.
Bit of a exaggeration saying Dykes had a field day.

Yes there is points to improve on but I like the big fella and look forward to seeing him back fit,fighting for a jersey

I think Balogun has been pretty harshly treated on here the last few months. He might not be as solid as Helander, but you'd think he was Russell Martin the way some people talk about him.
I only said the difference was “noticeable”. That’s pretty mild.

Struggling to understand the criticism of Balogun.

He is ultra aggressive and on the front foot. First that appear to the general support as “diving in”? Perhaps, however that’s the skill set the manager wanted as it’s what we require in certain matches.

Juxtaposed to that we also need Big Fil’s calmness and ability to jockey the attacker.

Regarding Katic, it’s all about levels. Post-Keirnan/Russell Martin/ David Bates he was needless to say a significant upgrade.

Is he at the 2021 levels of Goldson, Big Fil and the way the team play in general? I’m not sure and I say that as someone who loves the big man.

Last edited:
Bit of a exaggeration saying Dykes had a field day.

Yes there is points to improve on but I like the big fella and look forward to seeing him back fit,fighting for a jersey
We all "like" him. He is a good guy.

However he is 25 in a few months and still a long way off being a first pick. We're looking to upgrade on guys like Helander, whilst Katic is miles behind FH.

Struggling to understand the criticism of Balogun.

He is ultra aggressive and on the front foot. First that appear to the general support as “diving in”? Perhaps, however that’s the skill set the manager wanted as it’s what we require in certain matches.

Juxtaposed to that we also need Big Phil’s calmness and ability to jockey the attacker.

Regarding Katic, it’s all about levels. Post-Keirnan/Russell Martin/ David Bates he was needless to say a significant upgrade.

Is he at the 2021 levels of Goldson, Big Fil and the way the team play in general? I’m not sure and I say that as someone who loves the big man.
That's pretty much it when he signed we didn't have better than Katic and now we do so he will probably move on it's all part of the club growing and getting a better standard of player in continuesly

The way we play I'm not certain Katic has a chance...he's blood and thunder. He lacks the composure, and passing range. Just an opinion.

Not a rumour :)) - just a player we’ve been linked with in the past.. done well enough at Zagreb to get a move to Italy but obviously hasn’t worked out. Maybe a good shout for that number ‘8’ type player we’re needing.
I wasn’t a fan of him much this season, don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for us to be honest - didn’t create anything at all.

He couldn’t even get a game at Torino, who were a bawhair from relegation and would get skudded by Hibs.

That said, our coaches could do something most likely.

Last edited:

Not a rumour :)) - just a player we’ve been linked with in the past.. done well enough at Zagreb to get a move to Italy but obviously hasn’t worked out. Maybe a good shout for that number ‘8’ type player we’re needing.
If he's available at a knockdown price I'd take him he was excellent for Zagreb before he moved and had the physical and technical traits needed to play in our Midfield and can be further improved by our coaching team but it all depends on how much Zagreb would want for him

I wasn’t a fan of him much this season, don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for us to be honest.

He couldn’t even get a game at Torino, who were a bawhair from relegation and would get skudded by Hibs.
Haven’t watched any of Torino tbf.. just remember him always being linked with big money moves away from Croatia - every chance he’ll stay there if they move Majer on.

Haven’t watched any of Torino tbf.. just remember him always being linked with big money moves away from Croatia - every chance he’ll stay there if they move Majer on.
I actually just edited my post haha, he probably does have attributes our coaches could mould but I’m maybe being bias - I like Torino and was expecting an awful lot more from him.

Reactions: LRM
Salih Ozcan is starting for Germany against Holland in European u21 Semi final. He is number 13, just started 1-0 Germany in 30 seconds.

Chris would you mind explaining what faults you are talking about that you currently feel are improved or unlikely to be cureable ? Thanks

A lot of folk flapping gums today about 24 year old centre backs who aren't the full package forgetting that centre backs are rarely at their best until their late 20s. Simpson and Katic both have flaws, but no-ones punting them yet. Katic was a £2m investment and has the basics to be a great. Just needs time to develop - and he has time aplenty! Still young and you can see his mentality based on how he has applied himself since the injury - and I mean SEE: he's a unit now! Simpson actually has many of the attributes Katic needs to develop, but could also learn a lot from the Croats game. Both may or may not develop over time, but both are excellent prospects in their own rights and have plenty time to develop under Goldson and Helander.

I laugh at the comments about how poor Balogun is postionally and then comparing him to Helander to prove the point. Helander aka the most postionally sound defender we have had since Weir?!? It's like critisizing a players ball control then being like: I'm sorry, put him next to Ronaldinho and you'll see how poor he is!

I wonder if we might look to do similar to Kent and have a player identified and loan for the season and if it has been successful but next summer.

We need to be prudent with our spends so this would be a sensible option if the right deal is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back