Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We signed Tavernier at a similar age and he was written off numerous times. He's clearly improved each year. Players at 25 still have plenty of development in them, more so now than ever.
Aye...but he played and developed.
Itten is not gonna get a sustained run of games.

Granted that Katic will have to spend some time getting match fit, but when he does he'd be ahead IMO, of Simpson who looked seriously underwhelming, and Edmundson who probably should be sold.

The fact that we have so many centre backs on the books suggests that this position remains a problem area for Gerrard and his coaching staff. I would tend to agree, with only Helander and Goldson being somewhat reliable as central defenders. Hopefully, Katic can come back and demonstrate the potential that I believe he has.
Think it explains the links to Doekhi and that defender playing in Sweden can't remember his name.

The problem is the quality in our defenders tails off after Goldson/Helander.

Balogun is the most dependable pretty solid and has some pace as an added bonus.

Katic for all his potential can be easily caught out at times.

Simpson for me doesn't look solid enough has already been caught out a few times and the early signs haven't been encouraging.

Edmundson is finished with us although I do believe we could get a decent fee for him.

For me to get another defender two will have to leave Edmundson and Katic loaned out might be enough but then we will have 5 options going into two positions and our squad is bloated enough as it is.

I’m my opinion the following will leave:
Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas
McCrorie- possible loan or sale

This will clear wages and possible raise money vis sales from some players.

Then bigger money sales, 1 or 2.
Genuinely forgot hastie was still with us.

Borna doesn't stand out for Croatia the way he does for us. No idea if its a tactical thing, confidence or what but he appears to play well within himself.
I’m convinced it’s tactical, but I’ve always wondered if it’s perhaps because he’s nervous around Modric or such.

But aye, I’ve watched him 7/8 times for Croatia and he seldom stands out. Puts in less crosses, overlaps less and takes his man on less.

Perhaps it’s because of the slower tempo, perhaps it’s because they use him as more of a left back rather than wing back?.

Who knows.

Isn’t very popular with their fans either, going by what you read on twitter.*

*Obviously isn’t representative, but still

I’m convinced it’s tactical, but I’ve always wondered if it’s perhaps because he’s nervous around Modric or such.

But aye, I’ve watched him 7/8 times for Croatia and he seldom stands out. Puts in less crosses, overlaps less and takes his man on less.

Perhaps it’s because of the slower tempo, perhaps it’s because they use him as more of a left back rather than wing back?.

Who knows.

Can see this being his last tournament tbh, Borna Sosa is a tremendous talent and is knocking on the door.

Can see this being his last tournament tbh, Borna Sosa is a tremendous talent and is knocking on the door.
Think Bradaric is highly rated too, he’s actually played a games for the senior side. Possibly will have the next WC, but If the other two continue their development then it’s unlikely.

Think it explains the links to Doekhi and that defender playing in Sweden can't remember his name.

Balogun is the most dependable pretty solid and has some pace as an added bonus.

Simpson for me doesn't look solid enough has already been caught out a few times and the early signs haven't been encouraging.

Edmundson is finished with us although I do believe we could get a decent fee for him.

For me to get another defender two will have to leave Edmundson and Katic loaned out might be enough but then we will have 5 options going into two positions and our squad is bloated enough as it is.
If Goldson or Helander get injured the quality drops off massively for me. Balogun is decent and has some good assets.

Edmundson/Katic/Simpson are all bang average. Mould them in to one defender and you'd have some player but they all do have serious deficiencies. Edmundson will go I think, Katic will be loaned & Simpson will stay solely due to him being the latest in the door.

I'd invest some money in to a good centre half who is at the level, or better, than CG/FH.

A Katic loan makes sense but only if its to another Scottish Premiership club or higher/equivalent level.

Ajer going on loan to Killie worked out well, I know he was young at the time but Katic needs games.
I wouldn’t be sending a player coming back from an ACL to Killie for %^*& sake, that’s just asking for trouble :)) *

*I know you weren’t specifically meaning Killie for Niko mate, merely using them as an example!.

Yeah, exactly. Think that position is one of the last we will be looking at.

Centre Mid is priority for me, under Gerrard every other position has had good levels of investment. Think it’s the midfields turn this time.
Agreed. I’d like to see two upgrades for the midfield come in even if no-one leaves. To start ahead of Jack and Arfield.

A Katic loan makes sense but only if its to another Scottish Premiership club or higher/equivalent level.

Ajer going on loan to Killie worked out well, I know he was young at the time but Katic needs games.
The other loan options would be loan him to the club we bring a new player from as they will have a need and also we have statistics and benchmark of the player we brought into rangers as his post-loan measures . Eg if you bring in Danilo Doekhi from Vitesse and we loan them Katic then that would be an example .

other possible could be playing in his domestic nation where he has the positive support , know-how and confidence to give him a stable environment to do as best as he can . Ideally european qualifier too .

your examples are vg too I’d imagine st Johnstone would be wisest with that European possibility

I‘m not so sure. If we sell Morelos the club will pocket a large portion of the fee - sustainability and all that - so with Sakala already signed on a free, getting Nisbet in for a few million (as that’s what he’d cost) would make sense to me. He looks to have very decent potential in my opinion.
I like the look of him too but if we get £16-20m for Morelos you’d be hoping we get to spend half.

Let’s be realistic. That was luck. Plus we’d be replacing Morelos of now, not the 21 year old with two seasons in Finland to his name.
I dont think luck had anything to do with it, really its a question of timing. Morelos is a good player and too good for where he was, if not us then someone else wouldve grabbed him and I suspect had he not been held back by the mistreatment in Scotland he may already be playing in one of the main Leagues.

Conversely had we bought Nesbit before Hibs did we couldve got him for buttons, now there will be a crazy premium which I dont think is worth paying.

I dont think luck had anything to do with it, really its a question of timing. Morelos is a good player and too good for where he was, if not us then someone else wouldve grabbed him and I suspect had he not been held back by the mistreatment in Scotland he may already be playing in one of the main Leagues.

Conversely had we bought Nesbit before Hibs did we couldve got him for buttons, now there will be a crazy premium which I dont think is worth paying.
The timing was luck. That’s what I meant. If he’d been on anyone else’s radar seriously the fee would have been a lot higher.

Let’s be realistic. That was luck. Plus we’d be replacing Morelos of now, not the 21 year old with two seasons in Finland to his name.

Luck or not, these players are out there and scouting is the way to go about it. There are teams that have competed in the Champions League spending a couple of million on strikers. There is no need to go out and spend half of our Morelos fee.

The timing was luck. That’s what I meant. If he’d been on anyone else’s radar seriously the fee would have been a lot higher.

That's exactly the point though. Morelos wasn't a one off. There are other players like him across Europe and further afield that are waiting to be picked up.

Who knows.

I've not watched him much for Croatia, but our midfield play in a way which is set up to get the best out of our wing backs and give them freedom. Not many teams have their midfield set up that way especially when they can play through the likes of Modric in the centre.

Joseph Okumu, Elfsborg ?

I've not watched him much for Croatia, but our midfield play in a way which is set up to get the best out of our wing backs and give them freedom. Not many teams have their midfield set up that way especially when they can play through the likes of Modric in the centre.
Yeah mate, that’s exactly it.

I wouldn’t be sending a player coming back from an ACL to Killie for %^*& sake, that’s just asking for trouble :)) *

*I know you weren’t specifically meaning Killie for Niko mate, merely using them as an example!.
Haha, personally I'd not send any of our players to Killie regardless of the league they were in and the pitch not being the first reason. Just because they're a bunch of cunts.:D

If Goldson or Helander get injured the quality drops off massively for me. Balogun is decent and has some good assets.
Yes, the drop off in quality is noticeable when Balogun comes in for Helander but it's massive when Simpson comes in.

The other loan options would be loan him to the club we bring a new player from as they will have a need and also we have statistics and benchmark of the player we brought into rangers as his post-loan measures . Eg if you bring in Danilo Doekhi from Vitesse and we loan them Katic then that would be an example .

other possible could be playing in his domestic nation where he has the positive support , know-how and confidence to give him a stable environment to do as best as he can . Ideally european qualifier too .

your examples are vg too I’d imagine st Johnstone would be wisest with that European possibility
Yeah definitely could be used in a negotiation to bring a player in and Vitesse would be a good option.

I'd be interested to hear Ross Wilson's thoughts on our loans. Personally I don't think we get the right loan options available, not because we're not trying just due to the fact the surrounding area is so all over the place.

We'd ideally want our players to go to English Championship on loan but get the feeling alot of them have a snobbery about our "reserve players"

League one just isn't the level we should be aiming to send players to IMO.

Scottish Premiership is of course an option but I don't think it's the best possible option nor would I think financially it's good for us.

I think Balogun has been pretty harshly treated on here the last few months. He might not be as solid as Helander, but you'd think he was Russell Martin the way some people talk about him.
If he never had a burst of pace he would be a league 1 player. His positional sense is an abortion

Yeah, exactly. Think that position is one of the last we will be looking at.

Centre Mid is priority for me, under Gerrard every other position has had good levels of investment. Think it’s the midfields turn this time.

It's not always about how much you spend mate.

We've signed 5 top drawer international midfielders in Jack, Davis, Arfield, Kamara and Aribo for virtually nothing, due to their contract situations.

That's what quality recruitment is all about.

You cannot measure the quality of the player by how much you pay for him.

I think Balogun has been pretty harshly treated on here the last few months. He might not be as solid as Helander, but you'd think he was Russell Martin the way some people talk about him.

The difference in quality between him and Katic as 3rd choice central defender is massive and has been one of the main reasons our defence was so much tighter last season.

Folk have been blinded by a few poor shows, out of position, at right-back. He's a competent enough central defender to be third choice - which is what he is. A better option than either of Katic or Edmundson, for example.

Damn you LD, I had him out of my head....

• Haha
Reactions: LD5

I agree timing is important but I wouldn't put it down to luck as such.

It's resources that's the problem, there's literally 100s of players out there good enough to play for us or potentially good enough within a few years we just need to find them.

Luck in the sense that JJ recommended Morelos and we went for it I'll agree with.

I suspect we've got a lot more scouting going on than we did when Morelos was brought in so I'm hopeful it can happen again.

Red Bull Salzburg seem to be one of Europe's best at finding talent and a model we should be trying to copy. Teams like Midtjlland have football academies in Africa so they can monitor their scouted talent closer.

At a guess though I reckon the Home Office makes our life alot more difficult in terms of getting visas so we're up against it bringing in these guys at 17/18.

Yeah definitely could be used in a negotiation to bring a player in and Vitesse would be a good option.

I'd be interested to hear Ross Wilson's thoughts on our loans. Personally I don't think we get the right loan options available, not because we're not trying just due to the fact the surrounding area is so all over the place.

We'd ideally want our players to go to English Championship on loan but get the feeling alot of them have a snobbery about our "reserve players"

League one just isn't the level we should be aiming to send players to IMO.

Scottish Premiership is of course an option but I don't think it's the best possible option nor would I think financially it's good for us.

In light of the perceived progress that Hendry has made, and our reputation over there having pumped a couple of their best clubs this season, maybe Belgium could be a good shout ?

Their football doesn’t lack physicality but it’s also real football & not bus parking.

I watch him - calling his positioning terrible is ridiculous. Granted it's not as good as Helander's, but it's far from terrible
It's terrible. It's actually surprised me its taken people as long to start noticing. I've posted about it numerous times months ago.
He also has terrible habit of diving in.

I’m my opinion the following will leave:
Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas
McCrorie- possible loan or sale

This will clear wages and possible raise money vis sales from some players.

Then bigger money sales, 1 or 2.
4 of that list have already gone and I agree the rest should go ( McCrorie on loan) I also suspect we will get bids in for our players and lose two. However all that should find or summer transfer budget and probably leave us in surplus. I would think the two most likely to go are Kamara and Helander.

I watch him - calling his positioning terrible is ridiculous. Granted it's not as good as Helander's, but it's far from terrible
I agree. My main issue with Balogun was his footwork on the ball, but he became more composed as he played more. I wouldn't be too discouraged about any criticism he gets though, even Goldson got plenty of that before the last season.

Balogun was a hugely important signing for us last summer – he is so much better suited to our system than Katić or Edmundson were the season prior. He’s still yet to lose a league game, you’d think he was a complete diddy going by some of the comments here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back