Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those debating … what is the point in Katic not going on loan he will be at best 4th choice CB (more likely 5th) and he needs games and minutes

the more burning question for me is where does he go on loan? SPL team? Hearts for example? Championship in England? Abroad somewhere to potentially get European game time (Croatia?) think that will be what SG will be thinking as there is zero point in him kicking his heels behind Goldson / Helander / balagun and likely Jack Simpson IMHO
If he's behind Simpson in the pecking order...then we should just sell him.

I think we need to find a way to add Nisbet to our squad.
He's a very good player, Scottish too so helps the Euro squad.
I don't want him to end up at them because he will cause us problems.
To be honest I’d be happy to sell big Itten and replace him with Nisbet. No harm to Cedric but he doesn’t look like a great fit for Scottish football.

To be honest I’d be happy to sell big Itten and replace him with Nisbet. No harm to Cedric but he doesn’t look like a great fit for Scottish football.

I think that would be a huge mistake, personally.

We ask Itten to hold the ball up, link up, play wide or deeper, use his workrate to help us through tricky ends of games - all of which he's miles better than Nisbet at.

Nisbet will score more goals (he starts more games which helps), most likely, but he's not particularly good at anything else.

He might be behind the 3 you mention but 2 of them are already injury prone it would seem. Therefore his services will be required for the squad. He's ahead of Simpson surely when available.

He can get game time at various levels for us to bring his fitness back. We then control all of his rehabilitation.

I don't recall a scenario where we took a 1st team player after serious injury and sent him out on loan for someone else to manage his return to match fitness. Who did Durrant for example go on loan to before his return to the 1st team?

Katic is a multi million pound International player and Rangers I would imagine will want to manage his game time and his return to full fitness pretty specifically...and carefully.
He was behind Edmundson before he got his injury and I doubt Edmundson will still be here in the summer. If Katic was fully fit then he would be ahead of Simpson for me but he's missed a full year's worth of football so a loan would be best for him and the club can still control that game time when he's away. Said earlier in the thread I would loan Simpson out as well as he needs to go get games under his belt so I think we will bring another defender in.

We ask Itten to hold the ball up, link up, play wide or deeper, use his workrate to help us through tricky ends of games - all of which he's miles better than Nisbet at.

Nisbet will score more goals (he starts more games which helps), most likely, but he's not particularly good at anything else.
Agreed. There was the same sorta hype for Dykes and ultimately that turned out well (so far).

There’s better strikers out there for less as we’ve seen and I’m not convinced Nisbet is any better than Itten or Defoe - Sakala remains to be seen.

One of the last positions we will be adding is a striker imo as a lot of our investment went there last summer. Morelos could be the only one to leave I reckon and I’d be wanting someone so much better than Nisbet to replace.

For those debating … what is the point in Katic not going on loan he will be at best 4th choice CB (more likely 5th) and he needs games and minutes

the more burning question for me is where does he go on loan? SPL team? Hearts for example? Championship in England? Abroad somewhere to potentially get European game time (Croatia?) think that will be what SG will be thinking as there is zero point in him kicking his heels behind Goldson / Helander / balagun and likely Jack Simpson IMHO

If/when Katic goes on loan, it should be a club playing in one of the British leagues. Going back to Croatia for a season would potentially set the boy back because the pace is so much slower over there. We need him to get acclimated to playing at a higher intensity again.

The manager will ultimately have his view. I like him, but his lack of pace concerns me. Not quick enough to burst away from defenders, nor quick enough when we are on the break. I think Nisbet has more potential for development and a natural finisher is important in any squad. Defoe is currently our best one and he’s nudging 40.

Agreed. There was the same sorta hype for Dykes and ultimately that turned out well (so far).

There’s better strikers out there for less as we’ve seen and I’m not convinced Nisbet is any better than Itten or Defoe - Sakala remains to be seen.

One of the last positions we will be adding is a striker imo as a lot of our investment went there last summer. Morelos could be the only one to leave I reckon and I’d be wanting someone so much better than Nisbet to replace.
Regarding Nisbet replacing Morelos? Not a chance. I’d be expecting us to spend £8-10m on a replacement for him, subject to what we get for him.

Regarding Nisbet replacing Morelos? Not a chance. I’d be expecting us to spend £8-10m on a replacement for him, subject to what we get for him.
Yeah, exactly. Think that position is one of the last we will be looking at.

Centre Mid is priority for me, under Gerrard every other position has had good levels of investment. Think it’s the midfields turn this time.

I’m my opinion the following will leave:
Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas
McCrorie- possible loan or sale

This will clear wages and possible raise money vis sales from some players.

Then bigger money sales, 1 or 2.

The manager will ultimately have his view. I like him, but his lack of pace concerns me. Not quick enough to burst away from defenders, nor quick enough when we are on the break. I think Nisbet has more potential for development and a natural finisher is important in any squad. Defoe is currently our best one and he’s nudging 40.

I don't think we'll sign Nisbet, so it's all academic, but there's only a few months between the two in terms of age, so in terms of development there's a lot both are still able to provide.

Nisbet isn't particularly quick either, as an aside.

I‘m not so sure. If we sell Morelos the club will pocket a large portion of the fee - sustainability and all that - so with Sakala already signed on a free, getting Nisbet in for a few million (as that’s what he’d cost) would make sense to me. He looks to have very decent potential in my opinion.

Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas

I think that entire list is almost a certainty to leave, as you say McCrorie on loan is possibly the only question. Wright signing spelled the end for Barker no doubt.

I think we will end up taking in more in fees than what we spend this summer. To try and break even for next season. Perhaps that changes if we make the champions league group stage though.

Yeah, I think so too. We will sell someone big and I'm ok with that. It's the way it has to be.

Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas

Add Mayo, Mckpake and Kennedy to that list as well possibly Kelly but got a feeling he might be given a chance next season.

Simpson is being under-rated on here I sense. He deserves a chance; he is most certainly not getting the benefit of the doubt. Better on the ball than is appreciated; has better positional sense than is being appreciated; he's made some mistakes, even I can see that, but the potential is definitely there. Give him time, and give him a chance.

Stewart
Barker
Jones
Edmundson
Hastie
Zungu
Murphy
Barjonas

3 of them have already left

We bought Alfie for £1m. There is no need to spend 8 times that to pick up the next Morelos.
Alfie’s are few and far between, which is where Ross Wilson comes in bud but being in the champ league now means we need to probably gamble at a higher price regardless

Simpson is being under-rated on here I sense. He deserves a chance; he is most certainly not getting the benefit of the doubt. Better on the ball than is appreciated; has better positional sense than is being appreciated; he's made some mistakes, even I can see that, but the potential is definitely there. Give him time, and give him a chance.
He's also fast for a CH.

That's still to be proven either way though. No point in signing guys in their early 20s to develop then ditching them after such a short time.

Not sure they are that young: Simpson 25 this year and Itten almost exact same age in fact.

BTW, I have no clue how the Colts team will be set up, over here, they have so-called 2nd teams (e.g. Borussia Dortmund II) playing in the lower leagues, where youngsters cut their teeth and reserve players keep fit or get back to full fitness.

Thus, you wonder whether the Colts will actually be structured similarly and a few of the players deemed surplus by some may actually be kept to play there and help the youngsters grow (and keep that Colts team full of players). I doubt we will just chuck in 16-17-year olds if some of our 19+ people are used elsewhere or are injured / loaned out.

As per usual, some 2nd string players will want something more and will be allowed to leave if offers come in. But unless that happens, I doubt we will let all those players leave just for the sake of it.

NB: I have added a few of the more tried youngsters in the squad list of the OP.

BTW, I have no clue how the Colts team will be set up, over here, they have so-called 2nd teams (e.g. Borussia Dortmund II) playing in the lower leagues, where youngsters cut their teeth and reserve players keep fit or get back to full fitness.

Thus, you wonder whether the Colts will actually be structured similarly and a few of the players deemed surplus by some may actually be kept to play there and help the youngsters grow (and keep that Colts team full of players). I doubt we will just chuck in 16-17-year olds if some of our 19+ people are used elsewhere or are injured / loaned out.

As per usual, some 2nd string players will want something more and will be allowed to leave if offers come in. But unless that happens, I doubt we will let all those players leave just for the sake of it.

NB: I have added a few of the more tried youngsters in the squad list of the OP.
I reckon it’ll be 16/17/18 year olds, I’d imagine the club would want the better older players out at a higher level as opposed to LL.

Counter point to that, the club may want all our talented youngsters being primed together and taught the Rangers way in terms of tactics, structure etc.

Really exciting, can only benefit Scotland in general.

Not sure they are that young: Simpson 25 this year and Itten almost exact same age in fact.

We signed Tavernier at a similar age and he was written off numerous times. He's clearly improved each year. Players at 25 still have plenty of development in them, more so now than ever.

If/when Katic goes on loan, it should be a club playing in one of the British leagues. Going back to Croatia for a season would potentially set the boy back because the pace is so much slower over there. We need him to get acclimated to playing at a higher intensity again.
I actually think hibs would be a good loan for him they attack quite a bit and play a high line and like to play our from the back all things he'd have to do if he was playing in our defence. Plus he could potentially help take points off the mentally challengeds

I can't find the link but I'm sure I read that the criteria for our Colts teams would be that they had to be u19s. However, 3 additional players at u21 would be allowed. No additions to the squad outside transfer windows so no opportunity for players to switch between first team and Colts.

I don’t understand the hate for Jack Simpson - he lost his man for a goal Celtic scored but other than that he has been more than reasonable IMHO

is he the next Beckenbauer well no he is not (wouldn’t be here if he was) - but he is a more than able deputy and as centre backs go he is young with time to improve - he has natural physical attributes / tall / reasonably quick / fine with the ball at his feet and I have no doubt will improve.

as I said earlier will be interested to see where we try and place Katic if he is loaned out I can see Merit in a team in Europe with a UCL or more realistically Europa league football - an SPL team to get him up to pace of the league he will ultimately be playing in - top end of the English championship ? Who knows.

We signed Tavernier at a similar age and he was written off numerous times. He's clearly improved each year. Players at 25 still have plenty of development in them, more so now than ever.

Excellent. Fair enough....but there seems a quality drop off with a few players and they are two of them. But we shall see.

Seen a report that Heervereen would probably accept €6-7 million for Veerman.

Around £5-6 million would still be a gamble but it's a lot better than £8.5 million.
I assume 8.5m is a value for their local rivals to worry about. Along the lines of Hibs rejecting £2m offer for a player from us then letting him leave for £1.5 6 months later to the championship. Fair play to be honest

It’s as if our manager and his coaching staff haven’t got a record of improving the the players they’re working with. So many players have improved under the current management team. The will to write players off on here is pathetic.

I don’t understand the hate for Jack Simpson - he lost his man for a goal Celtic scored but other than that he has been more than reasonable IMHO

is he the next Beckenbauer well no he is not (wouldn’t be here if he was) - but he is a more than able deputy and as centre backs go he is young with time to improve - he has natural physical attributes / tall / reasonably quick / fine with the ball at his feet and I have no doubt will improve.

as I said earlier will be interested to see where we try and place Katic if he is loaned out I can see Merit in a team in Europe with a UCL or more realistically Europa league football - an SPL team to get him up to pace of the league he will ultimately be playing in - top end of the English championship ? Who knows.
Also didn't get a preseason and joined off the back of playing hardly any games all season at Bournemouth. I'll judge him next season.

Katic pre injury was not adverse to the odd error and what really let him down was his distribution playing from the back.

This might be very controversial but if you look at the goals we lose in Europe then our defence is a little ropey no matter who is playing.

Sure they can improve but maybe goldso ect are not ready for that jump to champions league.

With Itten think it to early to judge as his appearances have been limited so I think he will get another year but who knows

I trust the managment team to do what is right but we may also need to sell some of our talent as we need to do it some time . That's the model we need to operate at and we can't go on making losses every year

Katic - 24
Simpson - 24
Itten - 24

Whilst I know the fashion is to get wonderkid teens who burst onto the scene, but I think the above 3 players are approaching their best years and still have developments in them all. Katic can also play a CDM role, Simpson left back and Itten brings us something different up front and worth remembering him coming off the bench bailed us out against Motherwell on a couple of occasions.

I'd keep the 3 of them.

Katic - 24
Simpson - 24
Itten - 24

Whilst I know the fashion is to get wonderkid teens who burst onto the scene, but I think the above 3 players are approaching their best years and still have developments in them all. Katic can also play a CDM role, Simpson left back and Itten brings us something different up front and worth remembering him coming off the bench bailed us out against Motherwell on a couple of occasions.

I'd keep the 3 of them.
I really can’t see Katic playing a CDM role?

For me he would be 4th choice out of that lot but he probably needs to play every week to recover fully from his injury so loan seems likely
Granted that Katic will have to spend some time getting match fit, but when he does he'd be ahead IMO, of Simpson who looked seriously underwhelming, and Edmundson who probably should be sold.

The fact that we have so many centre backs on the books suggests that this position remains a problem area for Gerrard and his coaching staff. I would tend to agree, with only Helander and Goldson being somewhat reliable as central defenders. Hopefully, Katic can come back and demonstrate the potential that I believe he has.

I really can’t see Katic playing a CDM role?

Neither do I, but I don't think Katic/Simpson will be automatic starters next season, but it's always useful to have versatile players on the bench.

I think both of them have a use to the squad, and I wouldn't be in favor of selling any of the 3 above mentioned players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back