Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barker, Jones, Stewart will all be moved on.

Osayi-Samuel is a potential go to player for Kent as let's face it we don't have a similar type player plus it gives us a chance to rest him having another dynamic number 10 who is versatile gives us something different.

Gerrard will want more quality and depth to the squad this summer and the more options we have the better especially with crucial CL Qualifiers on the horizon.
I get that we don't really have any other options like him other than Kent, but Roofe, Hagi, Sakala and Wright will be wanting game time too next season. Even with rotation, it would be hard satisfying them all. Then the fact that there is a fee involved too, I thought maybe we'd be putting our finances more towards the midfield as that is undoubtedly the area that needs investment. Just need to wait and see what the management's plan is, I have complete faith in it anyway.

I get that we don't really have any other options like him other than Kent, but Roofe, Hagi, Sakala and Wright will be wanting game time too next season. Even with rotation, it would be hard satisfying them all. Then the fact that there is a fee involved too, I thought maybe we'd be putting our finances more towards the midfield as that is undoubtedly the area that needs investment. Just need to wait and see what the management's plan is, I have complete faith in it anyway.
I have a gut feeling Hagi will be sold this summer. Remember that Wright is a project player and we are taking our time with him.

Can very much see it as this for the forward slots depending on players potential coming/staying.

LF - Kent/Osayi-Samuel/Wright
RF - Roofe/Osayi-Samuel/Aribo

ST - Morelos/Sakala/Itten/Defoe

Could even go a 4-2-3-1 and put another 10/forward in there depending on opposition Aribo is better further forward and Sakala is very versatile across the forward areas.

We will definitely strengthen the midfield that will be our main priority and we will probably add another go to defender and I expect changes to the starting 11/squad between now and the start of the season.

On the subject of satisfying them all. I think we managed it well this season (except Itten) due to the 5 subs rule. Does anyone know if that’s continuing into next season or are we back to 3? We have quite a big squad to manage and keep happy as it stands with more signings to come hopefully.

On the subject of satisfying them all. I think we managed it well this season (except Itten) due to the 5 subs rule. Does anyone know if that’s continuing into next season or are we back to 3? We have quite a big squad to manage and keep happy as it stands with more signings to come hopefully.

I don't think it's been agreed yet on the 5 subs, though i'm sure @rangeral will be able to confirm.

I hope we manage to keep Barasic. A stronger midfield in terms of adding to the quality, an addition of someone who plays naturally on the right of the attack, and perhaps another defensive addition and I think we would do well next season.

I think we run out of steam just a little as the season goes on, this was evident for me against Slavia, so we basically need more strength and depth throughout the squad for me. If we’re getting rid of Jones, Stewart etc there would surely be room for this Osayi Samuel

I have a gut feeling Hagi will be sold this summer. Remember that Wright is a project player and we are taking our time with him.

... project player? Don`t get me wrong, but he`s as old as BOS (i.e. 23) and clearly showed his talents in the outings he was given so far. Hagi`s 22, Alfredo 24 now, as are Itten, Aribo and Kent. If we sign a player now and he`s not 18 to 20, he`s meant to be first team material and ready for use.

... project player? Don`t get me wrong, but he`s as old as BOS (i.e. 23) and clearly showed his talents in the outings he was given so far. Hagi`s 22, Alfredo 24 now, as are Itten, Aribo and Kent. If we sign a player now and he`s not 18 to 20, he`s meant to be first team material and ready for use.
agreed, last season was his bedding in period, I think wright will shine for us

On paper would be a good move but a winger is the last position I thought we'd be looking at
I keep thinking that before next season kicks off we will have have received multiple bids for Kent - one of which may be too good to pass up. As a precaution, the Rangers staff are making their signing plans accordingly.

Players develop and mature at different ages. Ready for use yes, but he's got a lot of development in him before he's a regular starter, but he's got the potential so in that respect I'd agree he's a bit of a project player.

Veerman and Gustav humer would be even better
Heard some good things about Hamer.

Unfortunately I think Veerman is outwith our price range now and he looks a real quality player.

The potential fee for Veerman could get us Okumu, Harriou, Ozcan, and at a push Osayi-Samuel.

And there would be a bit left over for further business late in the window but unless a main asset was sold our business would effectively be done I would think.

Last edited:
I think we run out of steam just a little as the season goes on, this was evident for me against Slavia, so we basically need more strength and depth throughout the squad for me. If we’re getting rid of Jones, Stewart etc there would surely be room for this Osayi Samuel
The Slavia second leg was unique, we had just after winning the league and all that went with it.

Reactions: fmp
Any rumours of exits? I can see a CB going as well as the ones who won’t make it, Barker, Jones, Hastie, Edmondson, Middleton etc. The last lot won’t bring much if at all but maybe enough to buy BOS.

I paid attention to him when he was at QPR I'd describe him as similar to Ryan Kent when he first came here had all the pace skill and power to beat a player but lacks the end product would be worth the gamble if we can work on that side of his game
That’s how he comes across on YouTube. To be honest, with champions league qualifiers coming up I think we will looking to bring in players who have proven themselves a bit more if we are spending decent money.

That’s how he comes across on YouTube. To be honest, with champions league qualifiers coming up I think we will looking to bring in players who have proven themselves a bit more if we are spending decent money.
Until that cash is in the bank I can't see us buying the finished article it's just unlikely to happen our bread and butter will be picking up players like Osayi Samuel for a low fee and teaching the kinks out of his game and making a massive profit in a few years

You'd imagine we are expecting to lose one of our attacking players if we add him on top of Sakala.

Would be

Wright, Roofe, Itten, Morelos, Hagi, Kent, Sakala, Osayi-Samuel

all competing for 3 places, with Aribo and Arfield also being used there from time to time.
Of those we can lose Itten, and I guess we might get £££££ for Hagi or Alfie.

Not sure how true that is considering he found himself out on loan at a team struggling to stay in the championship.
You guys still don’t rate Edmundson ? :rolleyes:
Pretty sure the boss does.
He went out on loan because he couldnt get game time but Gerrard clearly rated him otherwise why sign him? The thinking was perhaps more long term with the background prospect of one or two CBs leaving if the team did very well.

I think hes got potential but obvs he needs to be playing and unless Rangers are going to sell someone he could end up on loan again.

I dont see any CBs coming in this Summer though, the position is stacked as is.

Until that cash is in the bank I can't see us buying the finished article it's just unlikely to happen our bread and butter will be picking up players like Osayi Samuel for a low fee and teaching the kinks out of his game and making a massive profit in a few years
Not the finished article, it’s just a matter of how far long we are talking and I do think we will be looking for players a bit further along than him to take us to the next level.

He went out on loan because he couldnt get game time but Gerrard clearly rated him otherwise why sign him? The thinking was perhaps more long term with the background prospect of one or two CBs leaving if the team did very well.

I think hes got potential but obvs he needs to be playing and unless Rangers are going to sell someone he could end up on loan again.

I dont see any CBs coming in this Summer though, the position is stacked as is.
Not all signings work out though and people change their opinions. Gerrard also signed Grezda, Lafferty etc. I doubt he still rates them.

I see Finland's Captain is out of contract. Looks a decent player on his showing vs Denmark. Big powerful defensive midfield player, maybe lacks a bit of pace. Not a suggestion, what's other posters thoughts on him?

I see Finland's Captain is out of contract. Looks a decent player on his showing vs Denmark. Big powerful defensive midfield player, maybe lacks a bit of pace. Not a suggestion, what's other posters thoughts on him?
Tim Sparv? Was always a good FM signing back in the day but he's mid 30s now and wasn't quick in his 20s. Played against us for Midtjylland a couple seasons back.

He's not a senior left back we already have a young left back at the club that with the same amount of game time would show that he's a better player than him we will go for someone with more first team experience to replace Borna if he leaves
If bassey was at the likes of hibs this season and played the way he has for us we’d be raving about him . I’ve actually felt Calvin has performed better than Doug has in the games he’s played for us this season . Both aren’t close to born as quality but if I were to pick one to replace him it would be bassey

Mid 30s I think?

In regards to players leaving this summer I can’t see any leaving until we see if we qualify for the champs league . It’s too big a gamble for the club to risk losing one of our best players before these games are played . If we qualify I could see us maybe selling 1 or 2 at a push but if we don’t qualify I’d expect 2-3 big players to go . Best scenario would be not to lose anyone and build on the squad but I think no champs league we would be forced to lose a big player to help balance the books

In regards to players leaving this summer I can’t see any leaving until we see if we qualify for the champs league . It’s too big a gamble for the club to risk losing one of our best players before these games are played . If we qualify I could see us maybe selling 1 or 2 at a push but if we don’t qualify I’d expect 2-3 big players to go . Best scenario would be not to lose anyone and build on the squad but I think no champs league we would be forced to lose a big player to help balance the books
The CL playoff 2nd leg is the 24th of August. Doesn’t give us enough time to gamble on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back