MOTM Poll Rangers v Lyon - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Beaten by a better team but I would have liked to have seen more belief and confidence in the team. Need a big result in Prague now to get us going in this group.

I’m not one to get on the players backs and while I can acknowledge Lyon have been the most complete side we’ve faced what I can’t accept is players not showing for a ball and not pushing themselves to get something out the game.

Whether Lyon had extra gears they could’ve went up and coped with us we’ll never know as there were too many of ours out there not giving it their all.

There’s a malaise around our play that wasn’t there last year, too many not at their top level and for fucks sake I’m sick of poor /heavy touches and under-hit passing.

Still quite confident we will finish second in the group.

I also think we will get something in the return in Lyon.

Shit tonight generally but we'll get stronger and better as the season progresses.

There's been the odd flurry tonight but overall, we were simply not at the races. Tip-tap, tip-tap, passes across the park, which allow teams to funnel back and then it goes out to the wing.

In saying that, this mob could be called Lie down.

No vim, no vigour, no drive at pace from our lot.

In saying that, we've seen us win the first two games in sections in the past and still sod up royally. So it's one defeat not the end of the world.

What I admired most about Lyon tonight, whenever a decision went against them, they just accepted it. Moved on, organised themselves and accepted the decision.
To be fair not many decisions did go against them.Not to hard to take when your getting everything going.Denayer dive a prime example.Nowhere near him throws himself to the ground free kick to them.Linesman right in front of it.

Probably the best team in our group, but we did look a bit lost at times. Key players missing that bit of spark all over the field.

We were outclassed unfortunately, but we seem to be regressing as a team. Morelos and Kent are shadows of the players they were last season, and we don't appear to have strengthened any of the first 11 players.

Can’t say I was surprised by that result really. Lyon are a good team. We were cautious and a bit flat throughout but I suspect if we’d opened up they’d have picked us off. I was hoping we’d keep it to a single goal going into the last 15 but it wasn’t to be.

Looks like we might have picked up more injuries which is a concern.

Thought Lundstrum looked like he understood his role in the team more tonight. Work in progress however I seen him in the RB position and also tracking a runner. Well done John, more to come!

Reactions: fmp
I thought we could have at least pulled off a draw before the game tonight but the level of performance needed wasn't there. Too many poor second and laboured touches and players not at it tonight. Thought Lundstram looked better tonight but all in all one to forget and move on. Like many other have said the games we will be realistically contesting points now come next against the other two teams. I don't see any teams in this group beating Lyon, they are a tidy team but really frustrating to watch with all that diving too.

Diving French fucks.
True but some of our players are so stupid in the way they challenge for nothing balls in between the opposition player and the referee in Europe. What do they expect a top European team to do, they will buy the foul every single time unless they are chasing the game.

Lyon. Two shots on target. Two goals. One a goal of the season one a messy deflection.

We had the best 2 chances outwith it. Tavs free kick and Kents shot saved.

If we had luck we win 2-0.

Looks like Kents out a bit but I think we're a better side with Roofe and Wright right now

For all the fanfare, Lyon didn’t outplay us. We just didn’t show up in the forward areas. Players I normally back were poor - Kent, Aribo and Barisic in particular. Had we played to our best, we should’ve scored.

They score a great goal from outside the box and get very lucky with their second.

Hardly world beating. We play better and could‘ve easily taken a point tonight.

Positives are that Balogun and Lundstram both played well.

Excellent football teams know how to play in a way that makes good teams look decidedly average and that’s what happened tonight. They are a significant step up from anything we have faced in the last 4 years and they’ll be there or thereabouts at the business end of the tournament. We didn’t embarrass ourselves and could have made better decisions but all in all, it’s one to take on the chin and move on from

We ain’t going to raise our game in Europe until we raise it domestically. We’ve been sloppy, pedantic and listless in the league. Taking that same level into Europe, especially against a quality team and you’re going to get the run around and we did.

Lack of drive is killing us, we look so sluggish
A mix of Lyon going down easier than a whores knickers and a referee buying their bullshit every single time, absolutely killed our momentum.

We didn't have a chance, every single 50/50 was given their way, they have no class and play a bitches game.

Middle to front we are lacking in intensity and movement. Solid at the back with big Conor. The filth are good middle to front but a shambles at the back.

Davis and Lundstram in the same Midfield is a disaster. Davis looked every bit the senior pro today.

Lyon are two levels above where we are. An excellent team with pace, power and agility all through the ranks.

I just wish we had a bit more "get in about it" to us, too scared to get forward and support, Midfield not getting ahead of the ball...

The fact is that if we want to level up, we need serious investment and the likes of Lundstram, wright, Davis, aribo need replaced with genuine quality.

Hard to get into a match in last 20 minutes when already 2-0 down and rest of team running out of ideas. Lyon knew how to nurse the match to conclusion and weren’t likely to give us much space up front as they simply didn’t need to. If Lyon were 1-0 down then players like Roofe and Wright would have had more chance to make an impact.

He was on for 30 minutes rather than 20.

I've no doubt it's a difficult game to come on to but he was the first person the manager turned to try and change things.

He just ran about aimlessly and gave away fouls. It's accurate to say he was hopeless because he was. Hopefully just a one off and down to a lack of sharpness.

The concerning start to the season that sees us rooted to the top of the table.
Mate it’s frying my brain! The amount of folk who are concerned! Concerned that we’re top of the table and even when injury ravaged and missing half the staff through covid, we still beat the scum. We got beat off the better team tonight that’s worth £300M, one of the favourites for the tournament, no shame in that. But the amount of folk going on as if this season has been a disaster so far is mind blowing.

Very worrying. Not the defeat itself but we look absolutely f*cked and playing with no heart. Another big player injured too.
Favourable run of games coming up, hopefully we can get our spark back

This is my biggest concern. Our collective team battery looks drained. Sometimes the team with lesser players but with the bigger will to win and fight for everything succeeds in a one-off game. We saw that at Tannadice. We need that drive and intensity back in our game.

They were sharper, faster and good first touch but loved a dramatic collapse when tackled - particularly that Aouer or whatever he calls himself.
Can’t complain about the result but we need to up the performance substantially.

Our midfield seems to be the problem at the moment. It's all too defensive and no creative spark.

This. We have genuine pace up front and Morelos knows how to hold the ball up. But we don't use it. When do you see a ball over the top fro Kent or Wright to run on to. It's all ball to feet and run at the defence or the cross into the middle.

We go straight into the Champions League next season on what I’ve watched tonight this squad just ain’t got what it needs. Lyon hardly broke sweat and we had neither the guile or skills to best them

Do you think we have had a good performance yet ? To deny what your eyes tell you is just silly we’re struggling just now too many players off form and team not strengthened in last few windows hasn’t helped
We’re top of the table after 5 games therefore all is well.

Also won 1 European game in 5 barely creating a chance.

McGregor was no busier than your average SPL game, we are still way below our level, I didn’t think Lyon were any great shakes in the same as I thought we made Slavia look good last season…We are not close to our level yet!
100% - I can’t think of many Lyon chances other than the wonder goal and defensive cock up that gifted them their 2nd?

I may be wrong, but I think we may have had more chances, albeit ours were more half chances apart from Kent’s shot in first half and Tav’s free kick?

Positives from that was Balogun and Lundstrams performance. Roofe should start every game.

Sakala time going forward now lets get him roofe and morelos on the pitch together.

I know MOTM after a defeat is difficult, but nearly 40 votes for Lundstram is a nonsense. Won't bang on about him, but the guys who voted for him must love mediocrity, a player who takes 10 touches when 2 will do and who constantly let's people run off him. Mile's off what we need and whilst he was no were near our worst player tonight, to have any votes for MOTM is a fucking joke.

This is a bit ridiculous, tonight was always going to be a very difficult game but we weren’t embarrassed.

Just beaten by a better team - it happens. This Lyon team are up there with the Leverkusen side that knocked us out.
Not on tonights showing, we don't look fit enough yet, carrying injuries, lack of belief, lack of fight and mistakes creeping in also, that first 20 minutes or so we were better than them but unfortunately never threatened ,then we got passive and let them start getting comfortable.

That was disappointing. First half there wasn't much between the teams other than a very well taken goal. I did note we had started slow and reticent and for us at Ibrox very deep defensively. As the game wore on we got deeper and deeper and played most of any football in our own half. Looking at the game over all I think we were set up to be cautious (low block as they like to call it these days) and hit on the break. We're a much better side than what that result and performance suggests but we've not started the season well at all.

Back