A message from The captain

Manchester that was instigated by aggressive policing attacking fans, and as a 15 year old sober without a touch of alchohol in the middle of it I can clearly remember who was at fault that day.
If you think the manchester police were aggressive then thats nothing to how the Spanish police can react.

We need to make sure we give them no cause to wade in.

It absolutely will not stop anyone.

You think some mwi bam goes to hook someone and thinks wait, what did Gough say in that wee patronising video?
It will stop a few, but you are right there are some who will not pay any attention

It does however allow the club to show that they did everything they could

That was 14 years ago. We must’ve had 50 euro trips since then. Why no message for the 8k in Braga?

Because that 8K can be trusted as they have shown in 50 Euro trips. The message isn’t needed.

Times that number by 10 and you are gonna have a fair section of undesirables that don’t care about the club as much as the 8K hardcore do.

Unfortunately the reality is anyone who does go over there and act like a prick won't stop and think, "hold on, I should remember what Souness and Gough said". They,ll just carry on regardless.
This is true. But if there are any punishments to be dished out by UEFA the club can say they done all they could.

Embarrassing from the club releasing these videos.

Understand the rationale behind it but clearly just making us out to be a bunch of thugs.

By all means put a video out telling us to enjoy ourselves, roar the team on to victory and be ambassadors for the club - but to start and end the video by telling us to behave ourselves. GTF

That’s gough and the magnificent bastard telling us to behave. From my experience in Spain it’s the Spanish police they should be telling as they always spoil for a fight.

You say that and they over zealous at times but I’ve been to Spain to watch rangers many times and never had any bother. The problem is that certain people can’t behave and invite the hassle from the police on to themselves. Don’t know when to shut up and end up getting in their faces which then causes innocents to get hurt.

So just take the risk of possibly achieving the CL Groups & then being banned from Europe next season ?

Barcelona cost us a years ban, Manchester a lot of embarrassment & ridicule from our haters.

Why shouldn’t the club remind people of the risk of not behaving as we should ?
We can’t get banned for anything that happens outwith the stadium, there’s next to no chance of anything happening in the stadium.

And it's that attitude that means these videos get made.
If people can't go abroad without acting a dick then they'd be better staying at home.
Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. The main hope is that the Buckfast/Bobby Sands brigade find it harder to get to Seville than Manchester.

I don’t blame the club for putting out these messages but I don’t think it will make one iota of difference.

The vast majority of bears over 99% are sound as you can get, but the 1% we are talking about won’t read this thread or see Souness or Goughs messages. And even if they did they won’t change

C’mon mate there will be about 10 times as many people at Seville as there was in Braga surely you can see that increase the likelihood of the bampot element increasing?
And do you seriously think bampots are going to take a look at a video of Souness and think, ‘I’ll be on my best behaviour’?

The only element of the support those videos speak to are the decent minded and proud, not the part time idiots who just see it as an excuse for a piss up and a square go with the Spanish cops.

They are aiming at the wrong target completely and making the whole support look culpable for the inevitable actions of a few. And for the record, there were more than a few bams in Braga picking fights with the locals.

We can’t get banned for anything that happens outwith the stadium, there’s next to no chance of anything happening in the stadium.

Yes, I know that’s the norm.

But you don’t mind if we are dragged through the mud by the SMSM & SNP if we have trouble outside the stadium ?

Embarrassing from the club releasing these videos.

Understand the rationale behind it but clearly just making us out to be a bunch of thugs.

By all means put a video out telling us to enjoy ourselves, roar the team on to victory and be ambassadors for the club - but to start and end the video by telling us to behave ourselves. GTF
Agree the wording of it hasn't been the best in this one. Needs to be more about the general standards of what it means to be a Rangers fan.

And it's that attitude that means these videos get made.
If people can't go abroad without acting a dick then they'd be better staying at home.
I fully agree with everything you are saying.
But the ones that act like dicks are not just going to say "do you know what, I'm a bit of a dick with a drink in me abroad, I better just stay at home".

The vast majority know how to behave.

It's actually sad that grown men need to tell grown men to behave. Gough must have said "behave" about four times in that video.

Manchester that was instigated by aggressive policing attacking fans, and as a 15 year old sober without a touch of alchohol in the middle of it I can clearly remember who was at fault that day.
I was 19, sober, to blame the police is looking at it through blue tinted specs. Unfortunately in Manchester every bam could easily get there and it showed. Policing played a factor, the screen issue played a factor, but ultimately the main blame lies with anyone causing trouble and there were plenty.

We are living in a world where the fucking poisonous media hate us. They fucking love jumping on anything we do. This past weekend provides us with more than enough confirmation of how this is going to pan out.

Although I cringed a bit at this video, I don't think it causes us any harm. The reality is the infrastructure and set up over there simply will not be able to cope with the demands of expected numbers and I do think the club are trying to cover all bases.

My only concern about all this is how the Spanish police will treat us. They are bloody brutal at times.

Stay safe bears.

If arseholes are going to act like arseholes, they'll do it regardless of what anyone at Rangers says.

You'd be naive to think there won't be some bother with the amount of people going. It happens at every large gathering, unfortunately.

The vast majority will behave themselves, and whatever the minority do will be the headlines because it's Rangers.

And do you seriously think bampots are going to take a look at a video of Souness and think, ‘I’ll be on my best behaviour’?
The bam that throws the first bottle at Frankfurt fans or the policia are certainly not going to be of the Souness generation. Not sure that even any of the current playing squad hammering the message home would be effective tbh. Bams gonna bam.

I can also remember some of our fans throwing glass bottles towards the screen. Only for them to fall short and then be hurled back. Certain elements of our support do need reminding unfortunately

The club are doing their bit now over to us.

No doubt the minority will make the headlines but let's do the club proud Bears.

Look out for one another and bring it home.

Embarrassing from the club to be honest.
It isn’t. We have a fringe element that is capable of letting us down. And there isn’t a club in Europe who’s own national mhedia WANT them to act like idiots more than ours. Half the politicians have their withering texts drafted and they are itching to press send.

This is an environment that is going to frustrate the hell out of people. Getting a cooling beer will be very difficult, the heat will be stifling, even getting water could be difficult. Plus 50,000 Germans …

Souness and Gough are right. Calling it patronising is ridiculous. They are bang on.

Because that 8K can be trusted as they have shown in 50 Euro trips. The message isn’t needed.

Times that number by 10 and you are gonna have a fair section of undesirables that don’t care about the club as much as the 8K hardcore do.
Because there wasn't up to 100,000 folk travelling without tickets to Braga.
Maybe it’s just me, but if you’re of the mind to go abroad and get pissed, have a scrap with a Spanish cop and make the headlines, then you’re unlikely to have a sudden personality transformation after watching a 30 second clip from Souness telling you to watch yourself. All those videos do is condescend to the majority

The bam that throws the first bottle at Frankfurt fans or the policia are certainly not going to be of the Souness generation. Not sure that even any of the current playing squad hammering the message home would be effective tbh. Bams gonna bam.
Correct

Ex manager, ex Captain, I'm sure one will be coming from Tavernier shortly.

Proactive from Rangers but they know and we know it's pretty pointless. Any trouble will be proportionate to the numbers, sadly these days unlike 19 years ago smartphones will capture everything and uploaded in minutes.

The majority will behave but its the actions of the minority that will grab the news.

I doubt these are being issued by the club in the belief that it will stop bams being bams. As others have pointed out, it's absurd to think that the tiny minority who engage in unacceptable behaviour will suddenly think 'Goughy and Souness put out those wee vids, I better not.' It's more likely that this is a small part of some deal that the club has done with the authorities which has enabled us to negotiate other things that might not have been on the table otherwise

I got the train from Blackpool in the morning and you could tell there were people there who had never been to a Rangers game before. Just down for a bevvy and all the rest of it.

Can't see it being the same in Seville.
Exactly - people are forgetting that going to Seville isn't just a day out, it's either really expensive on a day trip or it's a few days away from work etc.

Can see it being much more of a normal European away crowd.

The only element of the support those videos speak to are the decent minded and proud, not the part time idiots who just see it as an excuse for a piss up and a square go with the Spanish cops.

They are aiming at the wrong target completely and making the whole support look culpable for the inevitable actions of a few. And for the record, there were more than a few bams in Braga picking fights with the locals.

Of course not, it’s in one ear and out the other. What more can the club do though? You’ve admitted yourself that there is an element within the support who will just see it as an excuse for a piss up, I just feel that the club will be thinking they need go be seen to have done something before hand to try get a message through to the fannies.

Where I think the club could have improved it is by emphasising that it’s the minority not the majority that cause these issues

Anyone who has a bigger issue with being asked to behave by club legends than they do the potential behaviour of a small minority of our fan base are part of the problem and the reason we need to be told to behave.

There is nothing patronising about it. It makes perfect sense from a club point of view and there is every justification for the message given Manchester.

These videos won’t cause anyone to act like a dick.

But they might stop a few from doing so.

In releasing the videos the club gets the message across and also shows that they are being proactive and not reactive.

No one can accuse us of "not doing enough" whilst certain others are shitting in the streets.

Frankly I expect 99% of us to behave anyway and I'm sure a few boys will end up acting the lady's front bottom both here and abroad but it won't be anything you wouldn't see spilling out of pubs and clubs on a Saturday night up and down the country.

All that matters is that the wider footballing world sees us for what we are. Our club and our support are a credit to themselves and deserve to be at the big table.

Maybe it’s just me, but if you’re of the mind to go abroad and get pissed, have a scrap with a Spanish cop and make the headlines, then you’re unlikely to have a sudden personality transformation after watching a 30 second clip from Souness telling you to watch yourself. All those videos do is condescend to the majority

Correct. The club are releasing these videos to be seen to be saying something in advance. The majority of travelling fans do not need to be told and will behave responsibly anyway.

The idiots who cause trouble won’t pay any attention to this. They couldn’t give a damn about the club‘s reputation. Hopefully there are not many of them in Seville.

Again, really? Could just about stomach the Souness one as a ticking the box exercise. Taking the piss with another one (and no doubt we’ll have someone else along to do it tomorrow).

sadly we have some complete melters in our support . Too much sun and booze won’t help and a quick clip from legend will do he haw

Clear demonstration of the biased political and media landscape in this country over the weekend. The same people are lining up to take advantage of any stupidity, slaughter us, have us banned from Europe and cost the club valuable revenue. No issues with the messaging.

Our enemies will be going out to Seville with one thing in mind and that’s to report anything negative.
This.

The Scottish press will already be out there filming every move we make.

The nightmare scenario for them is us winning this thing. Their fall back will be if we do well they can at least paint us in a bad light highliting any bother and ignoring the party atmosphere.

The dream double for our enemies is we lose and they also Get to hammer us for behaviour.

It sickens me when I see the tiny minority of sheer bams ruining it for us all

Back