Votes: 18 1.4%
  • Arfield

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
You must be kidding.

Pittodrie.
First day.

Strongest team and go get the result.

1st game of the season away to Aberdeen and you want to give youth players a try out. :))

never said I wanted that to happen but I can see the logic behind it, No real strikers for the sheep, if the rest of our team is on point then our CB's should have one of the more relaxing games this season - and if our team isn't on point then we have bigger troubles to worry about.

Just because I could see the logic behind it if we do go with a new CB partnership doesn't mean I would personally do it ,

Big call from the gaffer starting Balogun. Have to feel sorry for big Edmundson who’s performed very well in pre season so far.

Very harsh on Edmunson

Just goes to show that the notion of Gerrard picking players on merit is nothing more than a sound bite when he’s playing a new guy who’s barely been here ahead of someone who’s done well in pre season

You mean the guy he watches in training all week, aye? He's picked the best players for the job here. Sentiment can get right in the bin.

Very harsh on Edmunson

Just goes to show that the notion of Gerrard picking players on merit is nothing more than a sound bite when he’s playing a new guy who’s barely been here ahead of someone who’s done well in pre season
Or it could be with Thursday in mind......

The result will determine whether it was the right or wrong decision.

I've missed a good match thread. More ups and downs than a roller coaster.

Really curious to see Balogun, thought Helander would have be on the team sheet.

Young but talented midfield. Expecting big big things from Ryan Jack this season

Call me skeptical but didn't Balogun just play in a Wigan side who got relegated? Hardly fills you with confidence.

Davis injured I take it?

Edmundonson must wonder what he has to do, hasn’t put a foot wrong pre season and humped out the side on day 1

That's not quite 100% true, I think it was the Lyon game where he looked a wee bit shakey, he can be a colossus one minute, and clumsy the next, I think he is a good no nonsense defender and will be a big player for us but he's not the finished article yet. Plus he'll be playing on Thursday and will have another chance to impress.

As predicted :cool:
Can’t argue with your info! Balogun over Edmundson is a bit of a head scratcher. I guess he must have really impressed in training because Edmundson has done nothing wrong in pre-season. Still quite a ballsy decision by Gerrard.

I've missed a good match thread. More ups and downs than a roller coaster.

Really curious to see Balogun, thought Helander would have be on the team sheet.

Young but talented midfield. Expecting big big things from Ryan Jack this season

I think Helander is still struggling tbh, he looked slower than normal when he came on against Coventry. This has maybe just come a bit soon for him.

Reactions: GF7
Call me skeptical but didn't Balogun just play in a Wigan side who got relegated? Hardly fills you with confidence.

Davis injured I take it?
Was the best defender in the championship, SG said he impressed so much in training this week.

Davis injured I take it?
Harsh, they would have been comfortable mid table but for administration points deduction.

I know we don't really have many options but I'm surprised Alfie is starting given the last week and how easy he can have has head turned, I just hope he's at it today.
Not only that if the club are looking to get the fee in the next week or so it's a bit of a risk in terms of (hopefully I'm completely wrong) potential injury.

Davis injured I take it?
I'll happily correct you, he played in a side which would have finished mid table had it not been for their points deduction. He was one of the best centre halfs in the league from January onward, and they were one of the best sides in the league after the return. He must have shown up well in training this week to be put straight in. And he should be the most match sharp player out there given he's just finished his season.

Fair play, you're right that Balogun is starting but I think that is an absolutely crazy decision. Really crazy.

Away at Pittodrie and we've switched to a CB pairing who've never played in a game together.

Add the fact that Goldson and Edmundson kept clean sheet after clean sheet in the friendlies then it makes it even more of a bad decision for me.
Hi mate I never said Balogun was starting and I'm not sure I would have started him - but I certainly see the logic in it and the thought process that probably played a part in Gerrard picking him

Expecting a win. Any win with no injuries or reds.
But I tell you what. Drop points to weak goals. Or a striker that fires blanks and some will call for heads.

This forum will be horrible if we don’t win and yes SG will be seriously called into question.

Davis injured I take it?

They only got relegated because of a points deduction.

He'd some of the best stats for a central defender in the Championship.

We'll soon find out if the stats are accurate mate.

Been waiting for the return of the Doc Stone match thread. Good looking team, should be too good for the sheep.

Let the madness begin

That's not quite 100% true, I think it was the Lyon game where he looked a wee bit shakey, he can be a colossus one minute, and clumsy the next, I think he is a good no nonsense defender and will be a big player for us but he's not the finished article yet. Plus he'll be playing on Thursday and will have another chance to impress.
Solid defensively but he gave the ball away in dangerous situations about 3 or 4 times in preseason and we simply cant afford mistakes like that today.

Cracking defender though and will be a success here imo

Can’t say I know much about Balogun but it must be a risk against our 2nd most difficult fixture of the season but Stevie is paid to make these decisions and I have faith in him. Have sympathy for big Edmundson as done nowt wrong for me pre-season, 0-4 Rangers, get intae these sheepy fukkas!

Back