Alex Lowry

He’s got a lot going for him but also loads to learn like knowing when to release the ball.
Spot on RB he does the maisie runs but probably just releases to late, his runs are in a similar way aribo does as the ball seems to stick to his feet, but he is still learning and that side of his game will improve, he did the same in Seville game the other day went by players but final release let him down, but in all fairness on that occasion the pitch was honking

Handle him right and he’ll go for more than Patterson. So positive every time he’s on the ball and has that dash of composed creativity so rare for a Scottish player.

GVB has to figure out a way to get him regular minutes.
His post match interviews I find even more interesting. Seems very very determined, the type of guy who fights his way into teams because he knows exactly what’s required to make it. Don’t often see young kids speak like he does

He just glides with the ball at his feet. I can’t really think of many Scottish players in my lifetime who are able to move like that.

He’s maybe a season or two away from being a proper feature but he looks exciting.

Just wish Tav and Borna would get out the road and let Alex take a few (not every one) free kicks.
He also has scored from a corner.
Best wishes to the young lad.
Lowry’s corner tonight was very good too and his free kicks are another quality that suggest in terms of impact events he is ready for the first team .

Where his and the teams issue is balancing the individual expression with the collective teams needs and tactical plans . I’m one who thinks he is a possible Modric like player in the future which of course could be 4 even 6 years but that should be his horizon . But there is a lot of work for him in harmonising his mind with the team ethics .

Spot on RB he does the maisie runs but probably just releases to late, his runs are in a similar way aribo does as the ball seems to stick to his feet, but he is still learning and that side of his game will improve, he did the same in Seville game the other day went by players but final release let him down, but in all fairness on that occasion the pitch was honking
Agreed. I went to the Seville game and he was just unable to show what he is capable of. Fingers crossed that he will continue to develop and not regress like some before him who have showed initial promise and not pushed on (i.e. Middleton)

The kid is a superb talent in the making

The Bobby Russell comparison is spot on

I hope we can keep him for a few more years and play in him more often

He will be a top talent in the future

Agreed. I went to the Seville game and he was just unable to show what he is capable of. Fingers crossed that he will continue to develop and not regress like some before him who have showed initial promise and not pushed on (i.e. Middleton)
I think he is a step up from GM although when he first came he was touted for the top by all accounts but never happened for him, AL has everything in abundance as well as confidence with the people around him and learning from am sure he is going far

He's starting to look like the kind of 'kid' you cannot leave out of the 1st team

He looks like he could be a massive player for us, very exciting to watch

I've got to say I've read through the whole thread, and it's refreshing to see no one has suggested he needs to bulk up which was very prevalent in his earlier games. First up he's not small height wise, he is slight of frame of course but will naturally fill out with normal training and age. In short it's difficult not to get exited by possibly the best prospect to come through in decades.

His post match interviews I find even more interesting. Seems very very determined, the type of guy who fights his way into teams because he knows exactly what’s required to make it. Don’t often see young kids speak like he does

He didn’t deserve to be dropped after his first two games.

Then we went on to drop points away from home then get gubbed at the Shame Dome.

I really wish managers believed in its your jersey til you drop it.

Arguably Patterson shouldn’t have lost the jersey to Tav…Fashion def deserved to keep it instead of Kent coming straight in.

He didn’t deserve to be dropped after his first two games.

Then we went on to drop points away from home then get gubbed at the Shame Dome.

I really wish managers believed in its your jersey til you drop it.

Arguably Patterson shouldn’t have lost the jersey to Tav…Fashion def deserved to keep it instead of Kent coming straight in.
I agree. But Gio has been under a lot of pressure to deliver. It’s easier to do as you say when it’s going better. Had we lost with Lowry people would say why did you play a kid instead of X

If he gets minutes and regular game time, then in a couple of years he'll go to a top team for big money. Needs games though to continue his improvement.

Cracking wee player! Him, King, Zukowski and Helander were the pleasing performances tonight!! Got the talent to go very far in the game! Just overshadowed by Helander in my eyes, love that guy!!!

He definitely looks talented even though he’s quite slight.

I know some will disagree but I don’t think it’s the time to give him the games/minutes that a lot of people are saying we should.

We should keep him in the B team for the rest of this season then promote him to the first team squad in the summer when there will be quite a bit of turnover and try and bleed him into the side early in the season.

He’s a massive talent and he’ll only get better the more chances he gets. It’s exciting to see players like him and King come in and slot right into the team. Just like it was with Patterson.

It's the way that he carries himself on the pitch for me. He just looks so comfortable. Doesn't stick out in that unconventional way that young players often can do when playing alongside seasoned pros for the first time. It's just an ease and calmness of presence he has both on and off the ball. It's like he's been part of the squad for longer than he has, doesn't try to over do things and just tries to play his football. Some rough edges to his game but nothing major. Excited to see what Dave Vos brings out of him.

Young McCann looks the ticket as well. It's actually quite a nice feeling having young players emerge through the ranks at the club. Especially the kids that are fans just like us. Patterson being a part of the title run in was the cherry on the cake that was 55.

Edit: forgot to mention King, thought he looked good too. All three academy players made a positive contribution to the game. Long may that continue.

Last edited:
I'm excited for him but let's not forget that Middleton looked excellent against Villareal at a similar age. It's up to him to keep improving. He has a lot of potential.

I try not to get too carried away with young players coming through. But this boy looks special.

The way he effortlessly gets past players like the ball is stuck to his feet reminds me of a young Best.

Hope we have him tied down on a deal for the next 10 years!

The way he effortlessly gets past players like the ball is stuck to his feet reminds me of a young Best.

Hope we have him tied down on a deal for the next 10 years!
Probably the best (no pun intended) comparison yet.

He has natural talents that can't really be coached into someone - first touch, balance, two good feet, close control at speed are all excellent. His decision making will improve with experience and being around the first team squad.

Best prospect we've had since Durrant imo.

I’m always wary of over hyping young players too early.

There’s been so many over the years we’ve gotten excited about - and players who’ve probably featured at a level above Lowry at the moment - only for their Rangers careers to fizzle out prematurely.

Sandy Robertson, Stephen Hughes, John Fleck, Jamie Ness, Lewis McLeod, Barrie McKay, etc, etc, etc, the list is long.

At the same time, I don’t think there’s anything more thrilling than a young player coming through the ranks to establish himself as a first team regular.

Hopefully the management team handle him correctly and we’ll have the next Barry Ferguson on our hands, but there’s a long way to go yet.

Back