Alves speaks out about cheating refs

BattlefieldBlue

More of this please!

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1400491-alves-concerned-about-unacceptable-behaviour-on-the-pitch/

Rangers defender Bruno Alves has hit out at some of the "unacceptable" behaviour he has witnessed on the pitch in Scotland, saying something needs to change.

The 35-year-old's side lost 2-0 to Motherwell in the League Cup semi final amid many heated battles across the pitch.

Fabio Cardoso suffered a broken nose when he was elbowed by Ryan Bowman and Alves himself escaped punishment when he kicked out at goal-hero Louis Moult.

Managers Pedro Caixinha and Steve Robinson were also sent to the stand as tempers frayed on the touchline.

It left Alves angry that referee Steven McLean allowed Motherwell to play such a physical game and speaking after the defeat he admitted it's an area of the Scottish game that concerns him.

"I'm very disappointed for what happened on the pitch," he said at full time.

"We are always trying to play football, I do not like to speak about the referees but they can't allow this kind of behaviour. It happens too many times and I'm really concerned about this.

"After this kind of behaviour anything can happen but this is not football. I like physical contact and to play hard but this is too much and it's not good behaviour.

"This is not acceptable. I don't want to find excuses for when we lose but today I'm really disappointed with this.

"I'm sad because we lost the game but I'm sad about what happened. Fabio broke his nose, what more can happen?

"We came here to play football. We like when it is fast and confrontational but that was too much. Something needs to change because we want to play football."

No doubt the usual hacks will come out with how it's just sour grapes etc.

Until it's one of their own that gets hacked down and the culprit deserves to be banned etc.

He's absolutely right but he'll get slated by our media for that. Opposition managers and pundits will consider it sour grapes. None of course, will see the value of listening to an experienced internationalist and see the correlation between his criticim of the Scottish game and Scotlands continued humiliation at international level.

More of this please!

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1400491-alves-concerned-about-unacceptable-behaviour-on-the-pitch/

Rangers defender Bruno Alves has hit out at some of the "unacceptable" behaviour he has witnessed on the pitch in Scotland, saying something needs to change.

The 35-year-old's side lost 2-0 to Motherwell in the League Cup semi final amid many heated battles across the pitch.

Fabio Cardoso suffered a broken nose when he was elbowed by Ryan Bowman and Alves himself escaped punishment when he kicked out at goal-hero Louis Moult.

Managers Pedro Caixinha and Steve Robinson were also sent to the stand as tempers frayed on the touchline.

It left Alves angry that referee Steven McLean allowed Motherwell to play such a physical game and speaking after the defeat he admitted it's an area of the Scottish game that concerns him.

"I'm very disappointed for what happened on the pitch," he said at full time.

"We are always trying to play football, I do not like to speak about the referees but they can't allow this kind of behaviour. It happens too many times and I'm really concerned about this.

"After this kind of behaviour anything can happen but this is not football. I like physical contact and to play hard but this is too much and it's not good behaviour.

"This is not acceptable. I don't want to find excuses for when we lose but today I'm really disappointed with this.

"I'm sad because we lost the game but I'm sad about what happened. Fabio broke his nose, what more can happen?

"We came here to play football. We like when it is fast and confrontational but that was too much. Something needs to change because we want to play football."

Where do you see Alves saying anything about cheating?

The press will obviously mention that Alves himself should have been sent off.

When you are playing against a dirty, physical side, football goes out the window at times, Alves should have went through Moult, Cardoso should have broke Bowmans nose, A few wee off the ball whacks etc etc.

Sorry Bruno.........stop crying about it and dish some out instead

He did and some of this board wanted him red carded. He really cant win. We've been whining for weeks for someone to speak out now they do they get this shite.

The good thing about this is Alves is respected outwith this shitey wee country, what he says will be reported elsewhere. Hopefully the authorities take this as a shot across the bows.

the fact someone like bruno says he has serious concerns about this shoukd be enough for the spl to take action but they wont

I like it.

The incident with John hasn't been talked about much either. He passes the ball away and then gets studs rammed down his ankles, a straight yellow all day long.

He did and some of this board wanted him red carded. He really cant win. We've been whining for weeks for someone to speak out now they do they get this shite.

The good thing about this is Alves is respected outwith this shitey wee country, what he says will be reported elsewhere. Hopefully the authorities take this as a shot across the bows.

I really doubt that anyone elsewhere will really give two flying fcks about what Alves says regarding the poor refereeing in Scotland, mate.

When you are playing against a dirty, physical side, football goes out the window at times, Alves should have went through Moult, Cardoso should have broke Bowmans nose, A few wee off the ball whacks etc etc.

The difference being we would be down to 8 men.

Well said. No doubt the media will make out it’s sour grapes but it should be highlighted win, lose or draw.

"The press will obviously mention that Alves himself should have been sent off."

That only confirms the point that Alves is making.

The referee took incompetence to a new level.

I really doubt that anyone elsewhere will really give two flying fcks about what Alves says regarding the poor refereeing in Scotland, mate.

Some of his interviews have been in the European press. Whether anyone cares or not is irrelevant. There needs to be a light shone on what's going on. He's doing it.

But the ref "Delt" with that wee coming together, well thats what is called on out players anyway. Ref was clever, booked the well player but has left it open for the media to get Alves a retrospective ban by failing to book him at the time while the Scum player got a booking. Alves a massively experienced pro must be wondering how the hell players are getting away with what they do against us.

We need Pedro or someone higher up in the club to be bringing this type of behaviour up. One player no matter hie pedigree is going to change things.

He's absolutely right but he'll get slated by our media for that. Opposition managers and pundits will consider it sour grapes. None of course, will see the value of listening to an experienced internationalist and see the correlation between his criticim of the Scottish game and Scotlands continued humiliation at international level.

Unfortunately you are right it’s 100% guaranteed he’ll get slated by dinosaurs in the mhedia.

Sorry Bruno.........stop crying about it and dish some out instead

Well said since he’s came here I have seen more negatives than positives from him. He’s in a League where hatchet men rule, and HE has to get stuck in or move on. Don’t moan about it do something and show you could be a leader, but I doubt it coming from a totaly different football culture.

Bruno is right. But we didn't lose because of that. It contributed but we didn't do %^*& all. With our resources and the players we can attract we ahould be able to physically match any lady's front bottom in this league ans outplay them football wise.

If he hadn't lashed out at Moult then yes he was correct in speaking out, But given he had a kick at Moult he'll just get that statement thrown back in his face by those in the media.
Had the pricks on the commentry team not brought it to the attention of viewers you wouldnt know anything happened.

As you said...I’d like to see us dish it out.

The problem there is our players will get punished unlike any of our opposition as we know! Bruno was right to highlight what went on today, it has been going on for a few seasons we seem to be the kicking bag for all and sundry!

The problem in Scottish football is that we laud the physical side of the game over the technical and the referees are part of the problem. They allow challenges to go in which would not be acceptable in any other league.

Rangers fans are just as bad. Dish it out indeed? Let's descend the the level of the hammer throwers like most of the Motherwell team and get a few kicks in.

But until referees start protecting footballers, the Scottish game will continue to stagnate as anyone with any skill will either get kicked all over the park or will leave. Start sending the hammer throwers off and the clubs will start getting the message.

I’d like also hear from Cardoso who was left for what 3 mins pouring blood with a broken nose, and from Morelos who is targeted on a weekly basis. And from our club captain.

Been an undercurrent of this all season .

Snide , dirtiness that has gone unpunished .

Hibs game being the worst example .

I am all for blood and snotters ,it's a part of football I love but this is more sinister .

We are whipping boys off the park and it would seem we are expected to be whipping boys on it .

I'm with Bruno here.

No excuses we lost but the incompetence of the officials today was off the scale .

The truth about refereeing in Scotland is Rangers have had way more decisions go against us than ever went for. At the end of the season we are always in minus numbers and even that's not a true measure of refereeing standards because it doesn't take account of what the referee missed. In the past we were always good enough to overcome this disadvantage but being saddled with a ref handicap today ... it's too much. Something has to be said, good for Bruno that he did, and a vast improvement must be seen in refereeing of Rangers games.

Back