Ange Postecoglou - New Celtic Manager Confirmed - All Chat In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG,

A 2 : 4 : 1: 2 : 1 Formation.

I'm absolutely convinced this 'match made in heaven' is going to be catastrophic for that club.

Absolutely event horizon levels of xG data to show how Flange changes teams pressing, style, scoring and most importantly ignored -defending.

This has got to be the most hugely entertaining close season I've ever had as a Rangers supporter. Cannot recall being so optimistic.

I love our Gaffer and his team for giving us our Club back.
A lot of teams play 5-3-2 in Scotland. If Celtic end up like that on the ball with a very high line. Then all they need to do is have their strikers drift wide and clear/play balls out to the flanks.

Hibs and St. Johnstone in particular would have a field day on the counter, against that.

A lot of teams play 5-3-2 in Scotland. If Celtic end up like that on the ball with a very high line. Then all they need to do is have their strikers drift wide and clear/play balls out to the flanks.

Hibs and St. Johnstone in particular would have a field day on the counter, against that.
I've a strong feeling we are going to hear the word 'transitions' a lot next season. In respect to celtc dropping points domestically. Some of our wide cloggers will be focused on the counter as you say.

What manager isn't going to exploit that opportunity?

Watched his teams a lot here in Australia and many moons ago was coached by him at the AIS whilst he was still the coach of South Melbourne.

He plays high press and a quick tempo possession game, that is a benefit when his teams are playing in countries with a like minded philosophy amongst players and coaches. His style should essentially see Celtic perform better in Europe given time.

That being said, what he relies on is for teams to want to have structured build up from the back, keep possession and allow his teams to press high up the park. It comes unstuck when you have teams prepared to play long to beat the high press and then sit in a low block of 5/5 out of possession. Teams in the SPL are generally disciplined to sit in against Rangers and Celtic therefore the possession metrics that I've seen used for him will spike further as Celtic will generally dominate possession anyway.

As has been said on here too you need the players that are going to play a certain way for you and do the tireless running from a forward that you need for this to work. He had that with Tim Cahill with Australia (in the 2014 campaign anyway before Cahill's legs went prior to Russia 2018) and to a lesser extent Adam Taggart who he had at Brisbane. Cant see a forward currently at Celtic who will do the work that is required.

McGregor, Turnbull and Soro I can see fitting his style, the rest I'm not so sure about.

Matt Ryan will almost certainly become a target, hopefully he doesn't sign as I rate him highly.

Ryan is 29, is on £35k a week and would command a fee.

He has a year left on his deal, so Brighton won't be loaning him out.

Celtic won't pay a few million and £35k+ a week on a 29 year old keeper.
They wont sign any keeper unless one is sold.

As for Ryan its just 2+2=5 stuff from the media, no chance theyd match his wages or fee.

Itll be interesting to see how many, if any, ex-players of Big Ange's they actually sign. Or anyone at all from the Leagues hes managed in.

Im guessing maybe none.

Its not like hes going to be making the transfer decisions anyway B-)

Watched his teams a lot here in Australia and many moons ago was coached by him at the AIS whilst he was still the coach of South Melbourne.

He plays high press and a quick tempo possession game, that is a benefit when his teams are playing in countries with a like minded philosophy amongst players and coaches. His style should essentially see Celtic perform better in Europe given time.

That being said, what he relies on is for teams to want to have structured build up from the back, keep possession and allow his teams to press high up the park. It comes unstuck when you have teams prepared to play long to beat the high press and then sit in a low block of 5/5 out of possession. Teams in the SPL are generally disciplined to sit in against Rangers and Celtic therefore the possession metrics that I've seen used for him will spike further as Celtic will generally dominate possession anyway.

As has been said on here too you need the players that are going to play a certain way for you and do the tireless running from a forward that you need for this to work. He had that with Tim Cahill with Australia (in the 2014 campaign anyway before Cahill's legs went prior to Russia 2018) and to a lesser extent Adam Taggart who he had at Brisbane. Cant see a forward currently at Celtic who will do the work that is required.

McGregor, Turnbull and Soro I can see fitting his style, the rest I'm not so sure about.

Matt Ryan will almost certainly become a target, hopefully he doesn't sign as I rate him highly.
He may very well play a high press quick tempo possession game, but there’s clearly a very lengthy sliding scale of quality to be ranked along and it remains to be seen whether he can translate that ethos from the second rate leagues he’s been used to to the pressurised environment of the Old Firm goldfish bowl within the physical and generally defensive minded SPFL.

A big part is going to be how the existing players respond to him.

He’s arriving with next to no reputation and I’ll wager more than one or two of them won’t respond well to his reportedly brash approach.

If he fails to hit the ground running, he may never recover.

He may very well play a high press quick tempo possession game, but there’s clearly a very lengthy sliding scale of quality to be ranked along and it remains to be seen whether he can translate that ethos from the second rate leagues he’s been used to to the pressurised environment of the Old Firm goldfish bowl within the physical and generally defensive minded SPFL.

A big part is going to be how the existing players respond to him.

He’s arriving with next to no reputation and I’ll wager more than one or two of them won’t respond well to his reportedly brash approach.

If he fails to hit the ground running, he may never recover.
From interviews with him I’ve watched, he actually seems like a decent guy. He clearly has no idea just exactly what he is walking into at Celtic, and the toxicity of their support. I can see him struggling to get any of the players left over into his philosophy and any new players to be sub-par ability wise. Throw into the bargain the strength of Rangers and Gerrard’s increasing nous as a manager, Postecoglou is going to end up a scapegoat in my opinion.

From interviews with him I’ve watched, he actually seems like a decent guy. He clearly has no idea just exactly what he is walking into at Celtic, and the toxicity of their support. I can see him struggling to get any of the players left over into his philosophy and any new players to be sub-par ability wise. Throw into the bargain the strength of Rangers and Gerrard’s increasing nous as a manager, Postecoglou is going to end up a scapegoat in my opinion.
Think his first major issue is to turn Mcgregor, Christie, Forrest and Jullien back into something like the players they were when rodgers coached them. Lenny regressed these players at an amazing rate.

He is going to have to work fast and hard, they were no where near fit enough last year. Huge task. Really don't think he will understand the scale of what he has agreed to.

Think his first major issue is to turn Mcgregor, Christie, Forrest and Jullien back into something like the players they were when rodgers coached them. Lenny regressed these players at an amazing rate.

He is going to have to work fast and hard, they were no where near fit enough last year. Huge task. Really don't think he will understand the scale of what he has agreed to.
MacGregor has been well below his capabilities for over a year now. Forrest is still a decent player but his fitness will be an issue for the rest of his career now. Jullien is probably the best defender they have but when he’s facing his own goal he can be dodgy.

He will probably come in and be given the impression Turnbull is who he should be building the team around and that would be his first mistake. He flatters to deceive and hasn’t got the legs, which is staggering considering his age.

tenor.gif

He will probably come in and be given the impression Turnbull is who he should be building the team around and that would be his first mistake. He flatters to deceive and hasn’t got the legs, which is staggering considering his age.
Im not sure hes got the brains either but all the better for us. Turnbull has been talked up at club and now country level so if Celt!c make him the main man then we are laughing.

Itll be interesting to see how many, if any signings they make before sales are confirmed. There really isnt time to lose but they seem quite happy to lose it all the same.

Id be quite happy if they retained much the same core players as last season, which is an increasing possibility.

Im not sure hes got the brains either but all the better for us. Turnbull has been talked up at club and now country level so if Celt!c make him the main man then we are laughing.

Itll be interesting to see how many, if any signings they make before sales are confirmed. There really isnt time to lose but they seem quite happy to lose it all the same.

Id be quite happy if they retained much the same core players as last season, which is an increasing possibility.
The turnaround of players in the time remaining is impossible without holding on to about half a dozen of them. The pessimism is ripping out of them on Kerryfail.

Sort of agree, except Julienne for whom even his best is still very average at best.

They'll start off ok domestically, as usually happens when teams get a new manager, although they will probably get fūcked out of Europe, and Ange will claim he's just getting started and hasn't had time to implement his philosophy yet.
We'll make it to the CL group stages.

Then, by the second round of fixtures, other SPFL teams will have sussed them out, and they will start dropping points.

Then, there will be sharks thrown by Christmas and they will go at least 10 points behind us following us thumping them 7-2 at New Year.

Then, Ange will get bumped, and he'll slag Celtic around the globe, saying that he didn't get enough time to implement his philosophy, and the shark chuckers will appoint Clarke.

Meanwhile, we'll be coasting the league and will pick up the League Cup on our way to the treble.

Matt Ryan is a good goalkeeper - streets ahead of the other 3 they have on the books.

should also add he has a contract June 2022 so looking at 3/4m plus I would imagine.

It’s lazy linking them with every Australian player - but most EPL based Australian players are way out there budget / wage structure.

mans the rest of the socceroos are not exactly great.

They'll start off ok domestically, as usually happens when teams get a new manager, although they will probably get fūcked out of Europe, and Ange will claim he's just getting started and hasn't had time to implement his philosophy yet.
We'll make it to the CL group stages.

Then, by the second round of fixtures, other SPFL teams will have sussed them out, and they will start dropping points.

Then, there will be sharks thrown by Christmas and they will go at least 10 points behind us following us thumping them 7-2 at New Year.

Then, Ange will get bumped, and he'll slag Celtic around the globe, saying that he didn't get enough time to implement his philosophy, and the shark chuckers will appoint Clarke.

Meanwhile, we'll be coasting the league and will pick up the League Cup on our way to the treble.

I am worried about the 4th round qualifier for us because that looks extremely tough. I hope we get through but I am not 100% confident we will.

As for them I tend to agree with the majority of what you say, despite it being a bit over confident.

I don't truly believe he understands what he has let himself in for. I think that is one of the reasons Howe canned the job because as I had been saying for months I don't think Howe has the mentality to deal with the Glasgow Goldfish bowl it would eat him up. He like Howe has never had to face the pressure, you either Thrive in it or you hide or lose it. Howe hid and I believe Ange will lose his cool very quickly if they start dropping points and the press and fans start giving it tight to him, his players and the board.

He might be a decent coach with an attacking philosophy but that is not enough in Scotland if you manage us or them. He need to have a mental toughness, a resilience. You need to actually be tactically good as well because you need to breakdown very tough defences of 10 and then you have to deal with how to defend the counter attacks. By the sounds of the way they will play next year, they will lose a lot of goals. Plus we as a counter attacking teams are one of the best, so play like that against us then I expect us to come out winners each time as we defend well as a team and counter attack fantastically.

Matt Ryan is a good goalkeeper - streets ahead of the other 3 they have on the books.

should also add he has a contract June 2022 so looking at 3/4m plus I would imagine.

It’s lazy linking them with every Australian player - but most EPL based Australian players are way out there budget / wage structure.

mans the rest of the socceroos are not exactly great.
Dont agree at all. Matt Ryan is a very poor gk, he was dropped by Brighton before his weird move to Arsenal. He was at fault countless times for goals and the Brighton fans wanted him replaced. I would love it if they wasted more money on him.

A fair degree of exaggeration in this one. Turnbull is a good player who has the potential to be a very good player. What has he done so far in a rattler top to mark him out as a very good player ?

Not once since he was with Motherwell or the Yahoos have I watched a game and thought he's a cracking player.
Yet another bummed up average player by our esteemed Yahoos in in the media.

Today's edition, I haven't listened yet but Haggerty is on it so there will be some comedy moments.

Apparently they are close to signing Charlie Wyke on a free from Sunderland. Consensus from Sunderland fans seems to be while he had a good season last year in terms of goals, they are happy to see him go.

Apparently they are close to signing Charlie Wyke on a free from Sunderland. Consensus from Sunderland fans seems to be while he had a good season last year in terms of goals, they are happy to see him go.
No fucking way he is absolutely rank rotten :))

Today's edition, I haven't listened yet but Haggerty is on it so there will be some comedy moments.

I just skipped to the end bit.

The wannabe Rod Stewart says that Kalvin Phillips doesn’t get in the Scotland team, Clarke is a better coach than Southgate and the England team can be got at. Croatia also look “leggy”.

England will beat Scotland comfortably going by today’s performance.

Bit of a target man is he not they planning on going route one next season

Can’t be, all reports say he is like the Aussie Pep, he managed Brisbane Roar when they were known as Roarcelona……..apparently
Just watched his goal compilation he got 31 last season to be fair to him but about 25 of them were headers looks like a big target man

That maybe true but I for one dont understand how he got young player of the season.

What game of significance did he play well in? I myself cant think of any. I honestly cant but happy to be proved wrong.

Was a passenger when they played us which is a game where you would expect him to be an influence. A joke of an award and now being bigged up like Nitcham was in his first season.
Hagi did more in a 5 min cameo in the 4-1 game than turnbull managed in 4 full old firm games.

This might tie in with Howe supposedly not happy with signing targets put to him, lower Championship and League 1 level.
Good point

“We expect you to get through the champs league qualifiers and win the league with league one players”

”Uhh… you’re alright guys”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back