Ange Postecoglou - New Celtic Manager Confirmed - All Chat In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Record on-line have now published a puff piece with the headline

‘Celtic appear primed in the transfer market despite the long wait’
According to the slavering Tim who wrote it, there is no need to worry. Dom McKay has been busy in the background sorting out recruitment.
The first great thing is that he has the backing of Forest, McGregor, Turnbull, and Walsh who are all fully committed and champing at the bit for Ange to arrive.
Then we come to the crunch. Ange’s signing targets.

Ado Onaiwu - admires his boss and ‘could’ be tempted to follow him.

Kaoru Mitoma and Ao Tanaka - who play for Kawasaki Frontale (champions elect) whose agent said ‘ "Both players have said they want to go abroad and we will try and do that after the Olympics."
Hardly in talks with Dom then....

Finally Matt Ryan - really? The man himself is quoted in the piece.

‘Hopefully, Arsenal becomes one of those options as well that we can look at and see what can happen there, but at the minute it’s still quite early. The season’s just finished.’
Hardly a sign that he’s gagging to wear the green!

And that’s it......three Japanese and a goalie who wants to sign for Arsenal.

Dom doesn’t seem busy enough tbh..I hope for their sake pig eye Pete’s boy is poking around the dingy corners of the City Group
Is Forest "like a new signing".

Forest, McGregor, Turnbull and Welsh. If thats what they are building their team around consider me exceedingly fcuking happy.

If a slightly above average SPL team is what they are aiming for - and this certainly points to that - then thats great news for Rangers.

The myth of Turnbull's half season is growing arms and legs.

Forest, McGregor, Turnbull and Welsh. If thats what they are building their team around consider me exceedingly fcuking happy.

If a slightly above average SPL team is what they are aiming for - and this certainly points to that - then thats great news for Rangers.

think that's the first I've seen the word 'exceedingly' used and it's nothing to do with Mr Kipling :D

31 league games for Celtic. 8 league goals. 4 against top 6 sides (1 each v Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi, St Johnstone) 3 assist against top 6 sides (Hibs, Livi, St Johnstone)

Started 4 Old Firms. 3 losses and a draw with an aggregate score of 8-2

Did nothing of note in the cups.

I.e. did not turn up at all in the key games.

I'm not saying he's a terrible player. But he's a slightly above average SPL player and if they want to make him the jewel in their crown, please. We'll be laughing.

To think some lunatics shoehorned him into their team of the year and there wasnt a place for the likes of Glen Kamara in their midfield.

I'm uneasy about the tidal wave of opinion on here that Ange is a dud. I certainly hope he is but how can people be so sure he will be a disaster?
It’s not about what the fans think as long as Stevie and the team focus on themselves and do the right things we should be in good shape. Nobody will know how good he is until the season starts properly but at the moment we can only go on the evidence.

It’s not about what the fans think as long as Stevie and the team focus on themselves and do the right things we should be in good shape. Nobody will know how good he is until the season starts properly but at the moment we can only go on the evidence.
B
I
N
G
O

I'm uneasy about the tidal wave of opinion on here that Ange is a dud. I certainly hope he is but how can people be so sure he will be a disaster?

you need to have a can of juice a relax.

you should sit back and enjoy what looks like an almighty disaster looming in the east end.

even if he turns out to be the knew pep, you being uneasy, or posters keeping their powder dry will have had no bearing on it.

let yourself enjoy it mate, life will be so much better

There’s so much in there that’s hilarious. One thing I found extraordinarily Brentish though was the journalist mentioning a few times Postecoglou makes players call him ‘boss’ so there’s no doubt who’s in charge, with the inference that he’s quite strict about it.

There’s been many managers referred to as gaffer or boss, I’m sure Gerrard is referred to as The Gaffer by players. But never have I seen this being a requirement and enforced by the coach, it’s always a sign of respect from the players.
The more I read and hear the more this guy seems like a Warburton-Caixinha live child , with the personality of David Brent.
Their guest is an absolute fruit loop.

31 league games for Celtic. 8 league goals. 4 against top 6 sides (1 each v Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi, St Johnstone) 3 assist against top 6 sides (Hibs, Livi, St Johnstone)

I'm not saying he's a terrible player. But he's a slightly above average SPL player and if they want to make him the jewel in their crown, please. We'll be laughing.

To think some lunatics shoehorned him into their team of the year and there wasnt a place for the likes of Glen Kamara in their midfield.
If this is what the hordes are pinning their hopes on for next season they are more deluded than I thought.

OMG,

A 2 : 4 : 1: 2 : 1 Formation.

I'm absolutely convinced this 'match made in heaven' is going to be catastrophic for that club.

Absolutely event horizon levels of xG data to show how Flange changes teams pressing, style, scoring and most importantly ignored -defending.

This has got to be the most hugely entertaining close season I've ever had as a Rangers supporter. Cannot recall being so optimistic.

I love our Gaffer and his team for giving us our Club back.

OMG,

A 2 : 4 : 1: 2 : 1 Formation.

I'm absolutely convinced this 'match made in heaven' is going to be catastrophic for that club.

Absolutely event horizon levels of xG data to show how Flange changes teams pressing, style, scoring and most importantly ignored -defending.

This has got to be the most hugely entertaining close season I've ever had as a Rangers supporter. Cannot recall being so optimistic.

I love our Gaffer and his team for giving us our Club back.
As hard as it is to believe the stats from these characters, it does seem as though he prefers a high press. That will likely result in a fair few goals in the SPL but can also see them being caught at the back although teams may have done their usual not try too hard against them by that time. As for playing us, we will batter them with that approach especially if they don’t have a plan b. I can see him prioritising defenders who can play from the back and not ones who can adapt to different systems and actually keep the ball away from danger. In short, I can see them knock in a few against the diddy teams but get a good skelping from us and in Europe.

Of course we should try and be objective and not jump to conclusions.

But at the end of the day we all have opinions about sport. We shouldn’t give valid opinions about the daunting task facing Celtic’s new manager in case we are wrong? If we approached everything in life like that we’d never give an opinion on anything.

The guys who didnt enjoy last season until about May, they didn’t have a better time than I and plenty others did on here rubbing Scottish footballs nose in it from Nov.

The manager has no experience of European football, never mind Scottish.
He has never coached at a high level (Aussie national team is not a high level).
The club he is joining are in their worst state in decades.
They have no DoF
They have a new CEO with experience in rugby only
They have no decent keeper
No right back
No competent left back
Only one (youth) CB from last year’s squad is expected to be there next season
Their best Cb is leaving and they will get less money than it takes to replace him
Ditto their star striker, top scorer and talisman
They have 4 or 5 loanees who returned to their parent clubs
Only one of last seasons forwards is likely to be around (Ajeti)
One of their few other top European quality players, Elynoussi, has left
The captain has left
The clubs finances are a mess because of COVID
Last years accounts showed a 25 mil loss, but for a 25mil player sale
They have no assets worth that this year and COVID plus reduced on field success means that hole is likely to be 30mil plus before player transfers this time
The manager doesn’t have the profile to attract high profile talent above and beyond their means (as Gerrard for example can)

We’re not exactly being unreasonable or wearing blue tinted specs by looking at that and saying “my objective analysis is that the greatest manager in football history would struggle under those circumstances”
I agree, I think as football fans you can almost tell straight away when certain managers get appointment that it will more than likely fail.

I can remember a conversation with my old man when we were appointing caxhinha and him asking me what I knew about him as I have a pretty decent knowledge of European football. When I said I’d never heard of him and his record wasn’t exactly jumping off the page at me. I also said the day he was confirmed that he wouldn’t last till Xmas and was unfortunately proved right.

I’ve got the same feeling with this guy, his philosophy of football might work in leagues that are not a 2 horse race and where coming 2nd is regarded as failure. He seems to be a guy that if whoever he is managing can see it a project appointment and be prepared to give him 3-5 years to progress year on year then he will improve whoever he’s in charge off.
We all know that he isn’t going to be given that leeway in Scotland. The red tops will be fully behind him till he gets knocked out of Europe twice in his first 6 weeks and then if we hammer them at Ibrox I can’t see anyway back for him.

As hard as it is to believe the stats from these characters, it does seem as though he prefers a high press. That will likely result in a fair few goals in the SPL but can also see them being caught at the back although teams may have done their usual not try too hard against them by that time. As for playing us, we will batter them with that approach especially if they don’t have a plan b. I can see him prioritising defenders who can play from the back and not ones who can adapt to different systems and actually keep the ball away from danger. In short, I can see them knock in a few against the diddy teams but get a good skelping from us and in Europe.
Dont forget that to deliver that high press he will need 2-4 windows to get the players he needs to play that way for it to work

Dont forget that to deliver that high press he will need 2-4 windows to get the players he needs to play that way for it to work
At least you also have to build up the fitness of the players to do it and when you look at their team they are no where near fit enough. Even with klopp, Gerrard high pressing takes the right players good tactical knowledge and fitness.

I agree, I think as football fans you can almost tell straight away when certain managers get appointment that it will more than likely fail.

I can remember a conversation with my old man when we were appointing caxhinha and him asking me what I knew about him as I have a pretty decent knowledge of European football. When I said I’d never heard of him and his record wasn’t exactly jumping off the page at me. I also said the day he was confirmed that he wouldn’t last till Xmas and was unfortunately proved right.

I’ve got the same feeling with this guy, his philosophy of football might work in leagues that are not a 2 horse race and where coming 2nd is regarded as failure. He seems to be a guy that if whoever he is managing can see it a project appointment and be prepared to give him 3-5 years to progress year on year then he will improve whoever he’s in charge off.
We all know that he isn’t going to be given that leeway in Scotland. The red tops will be fully behind him till he gets knocked out of Europe twice in his first 6 weeks and then if we hammer them at Ibrox I can’t see anyway back for him.
Hope you are proven correct again

The missus, sisters husband is Celtic minded.

Reckons Postecoglou needs time and could possibly bring some “cracking” players from Japan, especially the ones from Brazil that haven’t experienced European football and wouldn’t cost much, because they are Brazilian.

Clueless…
Ah clever, those unheard of and UNCAPPED ones who won't get a work permit. If only the rest of the UK clubs had thought of this

Reckons Postecoglou needs time and could possibly bring some “cracking” players from Japan, especially the ones from Brazil that haven’t experienced European football and wouldn’t cost much, because they are Brazilian.

Clueless…

That’ll be the Brazilians who aren’t good enough for Europe and end up in Japan?

It should be this..(no children were actually hurt in this scene...)

fz5d.gif

Was with a mate yesterday big one of them followed them everywhere.
First time talking about the season, now this guy was head of HR of a big company.
Everybody was at Scott Arfields party but only Jones and Edmundson got sacrificed :D
Absolute moon howling from them long May it continue.

Turnbull was a good up and coming SPFL Player but you bet they needed something to hold onto from this season, Step forward Quasi Turnbull.

Signing for them just saw the rocket get strapped to him as the next great hope. Will Clarke shoehorn him into the Scotland team as a result as early as tomorrow?

To be fair,Turnbull is a very good player,who’s only going to get better.
(If he moves to a better team);)

Expect them to sign players like Ryan the arsenal res GK , jedinak from Palace and maybe Mooey * part of the city group .

Clueless…
Did that party make Duffy run around like a clueless ghost on Pacman

To be fair,Turnbull is a very good player,who’s only going to get better.
(If he moves to a better team);)

That maybe true but I for one dont understand how he got young player of the season.

What game of significance did he play well in? I myself cant think of any. I honestly cant but happy to be proved wrong.

Was a passenger when they played us which is a game where you would expect him to be an influence. A joke of an award and now being bigged up like Nitcham was in his first season.

Expect them to sign players like Ryan the arsenal res GK , jedinak from Palace and maybe Mooey * part of the city group .
Ryan is 29, is on £35k a week and would command a fee.

He has a year left on his deal, so Brighton won't be loaning him out.

Celtic won't pay a few million and £35k+ a week on a 29 year old keeper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back