Argentine Superliga

Reports suggesting that Italy are trying to persuade former River striker Sebastian Driussi to play for them. If he does he will join a long list, including the likes of Luis Monti and Omar Sivori, of Argentinians to have done so.

Last edited:
Just read that on this day in 1986 Ricardo Bochini made his 500th appearance for Independiente. Brilliant player who had the misfotune to play in the same position at the same time as Maradona.

Any excuse to play a video of Bocha:

Reports suggesting that Italy are trying to persuade former River striker Sebastian Driussi to play for them. If he does he will join a long list, including the likes of Luis Monti and Omar Sivori, of Argentinians to have done so.

I hate this situation. Players should play for the country of their birth. The only extenuating circumstances should be say a service person playing overseas.

I hate this situation. Players should play for the country of their birth. The only extenuating circumstances should be say a service person playing overseas.

I think Driussi has an Italian passport because of his Mum. I don't think he's that Italian though as he has said he will consider playing for Italy only if Argentina don't select him.

Racing have just scored to take a 1-0 lead in La Bombonera. Lautaro Martinez with the goal - another excellent attacking prospect.

And, as I'm typing Boca get a penalty.

Edit: Now 1-1.

I think Driussi has an Italian passport because of his Mum. I don't think he's that Italian though as he has said he will consider playing for Italy only if Argentina don't select him.

Racing have just scored to take a 1-0 lead in La Bombonera. Lautaro Martinez with the goal - another excellent attacking prospect.

And, as I'm typing Boca get a penalty.

Edit: Now 1-1.

Hopefully he plays for Argentina.

Maybe not but he must at least have a better haircut!

168biba.png

Not a good night for Boca. Not only did they lose their 100% record, star striker Benedetto has been ruled out for 6-8 months with ruptured knee ligaments.

Shame for him as he had forced his way into the National team with a glut of goals and looked a certainty to go to the World Cup.

Interesting comparison between what the Rosario Central player was sent off for and what the Motherwell players (in particular) got away with:

Last night Racing ended Boca's 100% record with a 2-1 victory in La Bombonera. Leading the way for the academy was 20 year old striker Lautaro Martinez with a cracking goal and assist. Wont be long before he's heading to Europe.

Video and wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lautaro_Martínez

Dortmund (who had a scout at last nights game), Man Utd and Monaco all being linked with a move for Martinez. He'd be an absolute bargain if the buyout clause in his contract for €15m is correct.

And the result of last night's Avellaneda derby highlights the flakiness of Racing. Last week they defeat runaway leaders Boca at La Bombonera, yesterday they lose to Independiente's reserve team at el Cilindro.

For those not too clued up on Argieball this sums up Racing perfectly.

And the result of last night's Avellaneda derby highlights the flakiness of Racing. Last week they defeat runaway leaders Boca at La Bombonera, yesterday they lose to Independiente's reserve team at el Cilindro.

For those not too clued up on Argieball this sums up Racing perfectly.

I backed them last night after their win over Boca, bloody typical.

With Huracan having an impressive start to the season I thought I would highlight Ramon 'Wanchope' Abila.

First up the nickname: At Instituto, in Argentina's second division, someone decided that he looked like Paulo Wanchope so the sobriquet stuck.

11bubzn.jpg

Nope, I don't see it either.

Anyway, after failing to impress at Instituto, and with the emergence of a certain Pablo Dybala, Abila was loaned out around the lower leagues where again he rarely stood out. It wasn't until one night back at Instituto when his career took off. Brought off the bench by Frank Kudelka, who later took him to Huracan, in a match against Brown de Adrogue he scored a late winner and from there created a decent career for himself.

His move to Huracan saw his goals (36 in 76) lead them to Copa Argentina victory and a subsequent place in the Copa Libertadores. He is now Huracan's leading scorer in Continental competitions. This goal against Atletico Nacional is a particular standout:

Consistent performances saw him attract a lot of attention with Cruzeiro of Brazil eventually being his new home with a $4m transfer . He started impressively scoring 9 goals in the opening 12 games of the Brazilian Championship - no surprise that the fans instantly took to him. After this, though, things tapered off and whilst he had a respectable return (25 in 60) he headed back to Argenitna for the start of the current season.

Not unusually, for Argentina, it wasn't a simple transfer. As soon as he signed for Boca he was loaned out to Huracan where he has been key in their current run of good form. But with the long-term injury to Benedetto we may get to see Wanchope pulling on the Blue and Yellow at La Bombonera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramón_Ábila

Thought I would do a brief writeup on someone who isn't so well known outside of Agentina. If anyone is interested in learning more about a player (past or present), club, match etc....in Argentina then leave a post and I'll have a go at providing some information.

I backed them last night after their win over Boca, bloody typical.
They done my coupon when they beat Boca last week. Done them this week as i thought they must have been ok. Think i'll give the Argie league a miss on my coupons from now on :D

Reactions: Mez
Ooft, some saves from the Boca keeper in that game.

It's a bit mental that Rosario had to wear their away kit due to all 3 of Boca's kits clashing with their home shirt. Seems a bit of a %^*& up not to have something that's radically different.

Back