At their peak how would Gazza compare with Hagi Snr?

Carlton The Bear

Hagi did it at a higher level, for longer.

A non injury plagued Paul Gascoigne was the better player, but the reality is, his career (despite a brilliant 18 months for us) was stop-start after smashing his knee at Wembley!
This is it for me. Gazza for that short Italia 90 period was absolutely a genius and would edge it for that.

But.... Hagi was an extremely good player who consistently made his teams better, for a lot longer.

On that, I’ll call a draw.

Duranman

Gazza was world class for about 2 years. And when with us he only turned up for a season and a half. Hagi was better.

Goity

Come on mate we have never been on the same level as Madrid and Barca.
Lets agree to disagree, in the late 80's and early 90's Real and Barca were in the wilderness, we were are a far superior team picking up the best of England and Euro stars, we were cheated out of Champs league glory by Marsellies bribing the motherfuckingshit out of refs.

SDF

In context tho Gazza signed for Lazio at a time when Italian football was far more superior to Spanish football and Gazza is still revered from the Lazio support.
Hagi arrived in Italian football the same summer as Gazza. And Laudrup.

SDF

Lets agree to disagree, in the late 80's and early 90's Real and Barca were in the wilderness, we were are a far superior team picking up the best of England and Euro stars, we were cheated out of Champs league glory by Marsellies bribing the motherfuckingshit out of refs.
Barcelona won the ECWC in 1989 and the European Cup in 1992.

They were never in the wilderness FFS.

sportssocks

I'm pretty sure Keegan's Newcastle were in for him at one point, I wonder how he would have been rated if he'd played in the premier league.

HandsomeHead

I loved Hagi senior, but Gazza at his peak was the best player in the world. 1990 World Cup era.
Gazza wasn’t even the best player at that World Cup. He definitely had the tools to become the best player in the world, but he never quite got there, IMO.

sheddensbear

Gazza had fantastic skills. Hagi had fantastic skills for years and years. Gazza had "problems" which affected his career. People remember Gazza as this outstanding player at Ibrox, but he had a 1st season at 9/10, a second season at 7/10 and a third at 3/10. He averaged a goal every 2 games in 1st 2 season and about 1 in 5 in last season. His legs had gone.

sportssocks

Gazza was world class for about 2 years. And when with us he only turned up for a season and a half. Hagi was better.
I'm not googling this stuff, I always prefer my fuzzy memories of those years even though they may be wrong but he did play to a much higher level in his later years. Think he won much more honours too.

I was a student at the time and still remember sitting in a room at a party somewhere in the grassmarket in edinburgh at the back of 12 on a saturday night, when he scored that goal against columbia. Some world cup that

Rio Loyal

Both different players but both exceptional.

Don’t think it’s either or as they were on a similar level.

Cuparbear

There is absolutely no comparison at the time Gazza signed for us he was world class silly thread but hopefully hagi can hit those hights great player

tazzabear

Weirdly I was thinking this today. Started off Hagi v Stoichvok then Gazza.
Hagi ahead of Stoichkov but not of Gascoigne.
If Gascoigne had went to a Milan or Juventus, he’d have been more recognised and appreciated, in my opinion.
I don’t know if he had those options, if any, but I never felt that Lazio was right for him.

tazzabear

Both world class ,im going for Hagi Snr ,played for both Real and Barca ,Gazza didnt reach that level IMO,ok Spurs Lazio Rangers does not compare
Back then, Spanish football wasn’t what it is now.
Italy was the place to be and where the money was.
Still an outstanding player with an outstanding career though.

SDF

What impact did Hagi have compared to Gazza? Genuine question as I had no recollection of Hagi being in Italy
He got relegated. Same as Laudrup.

Genuine question. What impact did Gazza have on Italian football ? Zoff loved him, Zeman hated him. He was never fit enough to make the impact his talent should have made.

Gazza played 3 seasons in Serie A. Overall he played 12 more games and scored 1 more goal than Hagi managed in 1 season.

Borna Bear

Official Ticketer
Gazza, Stoich
Gazza, Stoichkov then Hagi in that order for me. All were a joy to watch and fantastic players in their own right. The first time I saw Hagi was World Cup 98 and I looked out for him because my dad said he was one of the best players in the world but I was slightly disappointed after seeing him sky numerous free kicks over the bar.

IrvineLoyal

1990 Real Madrid had Butragueno and Sanchez up front

1990 Barca had Michael Laudrup and Stoichkov up front

We were nowhere near their level.

IrvineLoyal

In context tho Gazza signed for Lazio at a time when Italian football was far more superior to Spanish football and Gazza is still revered from the Lazio support.

Not doubting that mate just as strong as we were in the late 80s early 90s we weren't on same level as Madrid/Barca