Best Players to play in our league who never played for Rangers or Celtic?

Goal keeper - Jim Leighton
Defender - Willie miller
Midfielder - frank Sauzee
Forward - George Best.

The reality is that most great Scottish players prior to the mid 70's found their way in Scottish foorbal and then moved south, or to Glasgow to make their names. With that in mind I was trying to think of others who actually plied their trade here successfully of which Stuart McKimmie (Aberdeen), Bannon (Dundee Utd), Joe Wark (Motherwell), Alex Cropley (Hibs), Jim Cruikshank (Hearts), Tony Fitzpatrick (St Mirren), Callum Davidson (St Johnstone), Jocky Scott (Dundee), Allan Evans (Dunfermline, Euro Cup winner at Villa) all jump to mind.
Callum Davidson?

Quitongo lol ,that's a memory.

St mirren used to bring their injured players to our pool for water recovery physio,the bold jose comes out with an old fashioned shower cap on,promptly jumps in the deep end and has to be rescued as he couldn't swim!
That needs conveyed to The Big Scottish Football podcast.

I always rated Robert Connor who played for the sheep from the mid 80's onwards. Great left foot on him and caused us a lot of problems back then.

Not a great player but always thought it was weird that ICT signed Marius Niculae. 44 caps for Romania (very handy on CM01/02 as well).

Hearts under Romanov had a few handy players. I'm sure Jankauskas was at Porto when they won the CL and Roman Bednar was always a handful, though I guess neither really set the heather alight.

Looking at that Hearts squad from the mid-2000s and there's a fair few blasts from the past. Goncalves, Aguilar, Kingston, Driver and Pinilla- memorable names for a team that was actually pretty rubbish. Sorry, not on topic but you've sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole!
Takis fissas, julienne brellier also of that hearts team.

I support Rangers through my Dad's side of the family. But, my Mum's side is all Dunfermline fans. My Grandad from that side of the family rants and raves about how good Istvan Kozma was

Another vote for Kozma

Used to go to most Dunfermline games in my teenage years, and he was an absolutely outstanding talent. Didn't quite work out for him when Souness took him to Liverpool, but he was quality nonetheless.

If it’s a player came here with a top CV, and who also played well whilst here then I can’t see past Frank Sauzee. If it wasn’t an era where we were as strong and profligate spenders then I would have taken him at Ibrox in a heartbeat.

Zoltan Varga

IMG-8058.gif

Alexei Eremenko was a class act for Killie around 2010. Always wished we’d signed him.

Same with Margaret Gomis when he was at Dundee United around the same time. Apparently still plays for East Stirlingshire aged 38!

I was only 11/12 at the time but Duncan Shearer used to bang a few in against us, was he any good ?

Probably best to break it down with a few parameters.

Majority of Rangers fans alive today won't remember George Best playing in Scotland, so maybe pre and post 1990? Also there wasn't the huge disparity between the OF and the rest of the league that there is now back in the day, so modern era definitely different in that regard.

We've also had some good players come up to Scotland either at the very start or end of their careers and not show very much, e.g. Schmeichel, Maddison, Ferdinand. So have to have been good while here.

George Best

The only time I've ever gone to watch a Scottish game that didn't involve Rangers was to see him play at Easter Road.

Might have been mentioned already - Riyad Mahrez played 4 games for St Mirren, scoring 7 goals. Took them more than 2 months to offer him a contract, so he f*cked off.

I’ve only read the first 2 pages and already seen Quitongo and Colin Cameron above Best, Ravanelli and Sauzee

Alexei Eremenko was a class act for Killie around 2010. Always wished we’d signed him.

Same with Margaret Gomis when he was at Dundee United around the same time. Apparently still plays for East Stirlingshire aged 38!

Yes. One of the top female talents of her generation

David Narey.
I thought I was alone with this one. The guy was a modern footballer before that was a thing. He could easily have slipped into any of the great Dutch sides of the 70s and 80s. Completely underrated in Scotland. And he was an absolute gent to my old man who got lost and ended up on his driveway in the days before sat nav and mobiles.

Back