Billy Gilmour loan.

Billy Gilmour would walk into our current midfield easily, if we could get him on a 2 year loan deal I'd be over the moon.

Yeah I’m sure Salah, Lukaku etc would have struggled to get a start for Norwich and be bullied by Ireland and Ukraine.

The last 2 Scotland games he has looked like a wee boy playing a man’s game. We don’t need that.

They had both lost their way at some stage during their career, they were high end examples I was using to highlight how silly this whole "likely won't make it at Chelsea point" some make is.

There was games in the Scottish league this season our midfielders looked utterly lost TBH, it happens it isn't Gilmour exclusive.

He was also unused on the bench for a long period and had a load of games coming on for a few minutes as a sub.

Yes he got some starts but he was hardly a stand out.

Nah, he wasn't really TBH you are off with that

There was a spell he was out the side and not used by.... a manager who was sacked, that spell aside he was generally in the team other than illness, injury or missing games because of his loan.

Mate, these are things that happened and are documented you don't need to make up events TBH

Yeah I’m sure Salah, Lukaku etc would have struggled to get a start for Norwich and be bullied by Ireland and Ukraine.

The last 2 Scotland games he has looked like a wee boy playing a man’s game. We don’t need that.

Players older than Gilmour were even worse. Including the Celtic captain.

Steven Davis had an absolute shocker against Kosovo. Writing off a potential signing because of how they performed in a couple of end of season internationals doesn't make much sense to me, particularly when they've looked more than comfortable at that level for most of their career so far.

Players older than Gilmour were even worse. Including the Celtic captain.

Steven Davis had an absolute shocker against Kosovo. Writing off a potential signing because of how they performed in a couple of end of season internationals doesn't make much sense to me, particularly when they've looked more than comfortable at that level for most of their career so far.
Im not a fan of loaning players that we won’t have a chance of signing.

He made the choice to join the Chelsea loan system when he was younger rather than try and become a first team player for Rangers so I would rather another team was used to try and get his career on track.

He is in Chelsea’s conveyor belt of loan players and will never make it with them. He be loaned out for a while longer then end up signing for a bottom half EPL club or Chamionship. That was his choice and good luck to him.

He has looked rotten for Norwich and Scotland recently so I don’t understand why we would want him just to give him game time and experience for another club.
Good company to be in these days with Salah, De Bruyne and Lukaku not making it there initially.

Maybe they would have when they were 20 year old.
Yes and it’s that 20 year old we would be loaning. He will be elsewhere when he’s older and improved.

I would not have him playing ahead of Lundstram Jack or Kamara and if we are loaning anyone I would prefer it to be a gaurenteed starter that we had a chance of signing at the end of the loan. See Jota and Vickers at them last season.

I can only assume it's people who have not watched him play recently or do not rate our current midfielders who got us to a European cup final.
Mate he got man of the match against Liverpool in the English cup that none of them take seriously!

Mate he got man of the match against Liverpool in the English cup that none of them take seriously!
Gilmour could go on to forge a good career for himself he's still young and has obvious ability I just do not see him as an improvement on what we have at the moment.
He's staying at Chelsea and not wanting to go on loan so I can't even see why this thread is getting so much traction.
Good Luck to him but I do not see his future at us as he still has a lot to prove in his career yet.

Gilmour could go on to forge a good career for himself he's still young and has obvious ability I just do not see him as an improvement on what we have at the moment.
He's staying at Chelsea and not wanting to go on loan so I can't even see why this thread is getting so much traction.
Good Luck to him but I do not see his future at us as he still has a lot to prove in his career yet.
If he’s staying at Chelsea we will only likely see him in the Carabao cup and for Scotland then.

Bring on the January threads with everyone clamouring to bring him in for 6 months because he’s not playing.

I've read this bizarre fallacy a few times on here now. It's quite possible to rate our current midfielders but also think that Billy Gilmour can add something.
It's more bizarre when his friends and family of his tell you a loan is a no go as he wants to fight it out and make it at Chelsea.
It's not bench warmers we need its first-team players and a midfielder who gets goals and that's not Gilmour.

If he’s staying at Chelsea we will only likely see him in the Carabao cup and for Scotland then.

Bring on the January threads with everyone clamouring to bring him in for 6 months because he’s not playing.
Yes seems to be ongoing even though his own family have said won't happen.

It's more bizarre when his friends and family of his tell you a loan is a no go as he wants to fight it out and make it at Chelsea.
It's not bench warmers we need its first-team players and a midfielder who gets goals and that's not Gilmour.
That’s something we have missed and badly need. A midfielder that regularly scores. Not more tidy ball players. We have quite a few of them.

Hagi in a number 10 role could provide goals I reckon instead of being played on the right. It will take him a while to get back into it though.
Hopefully, we get someone in to play on the right as we were just shoehorning him in there to the detriment of his game.

Billy Gilmour played loads of football for Norwich last season TBH, no idea why people write that he didn't get a game for them when it is so easily disproven by actual events that literally took place
He was in the starting line up 55% of the time for a team that was bottom of the league.

Yes, that's it for me he still has to shake off the promising youth tag and really cement his place in a team.
good luck to him in his career.

The last two Scotland games he's been under the tutorage of a manager with all the tactical nous of a house brick.

Last edited:
He was playing in the Chelsea first team when Lampard was in charge. Going to Norwich was definitely a backward step never really got on the ball. Still young enough to bounce back.
Has his form dipped a bit last 4 months? Aye probably.

But the boy saying hes went backwards since leaving us or is "standing still" since leaving us is nonsense. His next move is crucial for him to kick on now.

Has his form dipped a bit last 4 months? Aye probably.

But the boy saying hes went backwards since leaving us or is "standing still" since leaving us is nonsense. His next move is crucial for him to kick on now.
When he played under Lampard he played well got a few motm awards. The German guy didn't fancy him and put him out on loan. Everyone knew it was the wrong move for him Norwich was always going to fight relegation. Next season will be a big year for him he has to kick on.

When he played under Lampard he played well got a few motm awards. The German guy didn't fancy him and put him out on loan. Everyone knew it was the wrong move for him Norwich was always going to fight relegation. Next season will be a big year for him he has to kick on.
Let’s be honest. If Chelsea never had a transfer ban that season he likely wouldn’t have played at all.

Wonder how much football people have to watch before they realize you can be pretty f*cking good without a goal scoring midfielder.

We utterly destroyed the league without that
We just made a European Final without one
Real Madrid don't really have that
Liverpool don't

Probably not, but he did play and he done amazing when he was in there.
Did he though?

He played well enough but if he had been ‘amazing’ he wouldn’t have been loaned out to a pretty pitiful Norwich City

Reece James was kept at Chelsea by Tuchal and has been ‘amazing’.

Young players were given their chance and Gilmour was deemed not good enough. That’s not a slight on the young lad as he is at an elite club. Very few will make it there!

Gilmour needs to get this move right for his career going forward. Another season like the last and he ll find it difficult to progress as many thought he would.

Did he though?

He played well enough but if he had been ‘amazing’ he wouldn’t have been loaned out to a pretty pitiful Norwich City

Reece James was kept at Chelsea by Tuchal and has been ‘amazing’.

Young players were given their chance and Gilmour was deemed not good enough. That’s not a slight on the young lad as he is at an elite club. Very few will make it there!

Gilmour needs to get this move right for his career going forward. Another season like the last and he ll find it difficult to progress as many thought he would.
For his age build and the position he was put into and to come away with a few mom awards against top level english sides and overall consistency in the chelsea side id say it was pretty amazing. Unfortunately it wasnt enough for him.

Gilmour has the ability to ‘break the lines’ and move a football quickly around the pitch. He sees things early and has the confidence and ability to consistently make forward passes which ‘break the lines.’

This is something our midfield lacks, too safe in possession especially when teams sit i against us.

He didn't still despite those games missed he was in the top 10 of minutes played for them, what is your point exactly here bud?
My point is that he didn’t manage to get into the starting line up for almost half the season for a team that got relegated.

My point is that he didn’t manage to get into the starting line up for almost half the season for a team that got relegated.

The only spell when he was out the side as a consequence of selection was the dying embers of a manager about to be sacked for a spell of 6 games.

Those aside he was consistently in the side other then injury, illness or not being able to play the side he was on loan from.

He was pretty often playing for them TBH, the Gilmour wasn't playing much at Norwich thing is a load of bullsh*t.

The only spell when he was out the side as a consequence of selection was the dying embers of a manager about to be sacked for a spell of 6 games.

Those aside he was consistently in the side other then injury, illness or not being able to play the side he was on loan from.

He was pretty often playing for them TBH, the Gilmour wwasn't playing much at Norwich thing is a load of bullsh*t.
And they won 1 game with him in the team all season.

1 assist the whole season for a midfielder is pretty poor IMO. Granted Norwich were terrible but he didn’t look anywhere near one of their better players when playing.

Billy Gilmour played loads of football for Norwich last season TBH, no idea why people write that he didn't get a game for them when it is so easily disproven by actual events that literally took place

He was sent to Norwich by Tuchel as their manager at the time has the same philosophy as him he was a coach with Tuchel.

For me hes not any better than an in form Kamara

We need to get proper scouts we are so bad in the market its untrue

And they won 1 game with him in the team all season.

1 assist the whole season for a midfielder is pretty poor IMO. Granted Norwich were terrible but he didn’t look anywhere near one of their better players when playing.

I mean it's Norwich City, they won 5 games as a team across the season.

1 assist from a midfielder in the league is poor is it aye?

Kamara the season we won the league, 1 assist
Steven Davis arguably our best player when we won the league, 1 assist
Ryan Jack that season 2 league assists.

"pretty poor"

You are saying our output from midfield in a season when we hit 102 points was pretty poor?

He is a quality player but his career has stalled a bit.Interested to see where he will end up playing next season.

I mean it's Norwich City, they won 5 games as a team across the season.

1 assist from a midfielder in the league is poor is it aye?

Kamara the season we won the league, 1 assist
Steven Davis arguably our best player when we won the league, 1 assist
Ryan Jack that season 2 league assists.

"pretty poor"

You are saying our output from midfield in a season when we 102 points is pretty poor?
That’s kind of my point. We don’t need anymore midfielders like that. We need creativity and goals.

We don’t score enough goals from the wide attackers so we could do with more from midfield.

If Gilmour hadn’t played for us. Not one person in here would be suggesting loaning a 20 year old that was pish for Norwich all season. I will use the guy again but Kenny McLean was better for them and I wouldn’t want him either. We don’t need potential. We need a few certain starters

That’s kind of my point. We don’t need anymore midfielders like that. We need creativity and goals.

We don’t score enough goals from the wide attackers so we could do with more from midfield.

If Gilmour hadn’t played for us. Not one person in here would be suggesting loaning a 20 year old that was pish for Norwich all season. I will use the guy again but Kenny McLean was better for them and I wouldn’t want him either. We don’t need potential. We need a few certain starters

We scored 92 league goals with a midfield in reality not scoring goals, we made a European Final with a midfield who in reality, don't score goals.

Real Madrid just won the CL with a midfield who, in reality, don't score goals, they beat Liverpool in the Final with a midfield who, in reality don't score goals.

Football and midfield at this moment, for a load of sides is about the trend of control of game from midfield rather than free scoring midfielders.

If Gilmour hadn't played for us, people would absolutely be suggesting we show an interest in a young Scottish player with the talent ceiling he has, it is nothing to do with Kenny f*cking McLean, when Kenny McLean is the best player on the park at an International tournament even at the age of 30 + let alone 20 try that constant comparison.

Back