Billy Gilmour loan.

Playing the minutes he has in the prem and for scotland will have brought him on alot more than playing in our lowland league no matter if hes in the losing team or not.

To say hes went backwards from when he was in our reserves is mental.
I agree that he's not went backwards from being in our reserves, but that season at Norwich has done a hell of a lot more harm than good to his career imo.

I think he has gone backwards as a player since his move South.
Someone said this the other day in another thread and I don't really agree.

Fair enough he was a stand out at youth level but he'd never played a senior game when he moved south so I don't think any real comparisons can be made between his time in Scotland and England. His first few appearances for Chelsea and Scotland also exceeded any expectations anyone really had. Was he not motm in his first start in EPL, FA Cup, UCL and for Scotland?

His move to Norwich always looked like a bit of a disaster, they are a good Championship team who twice now have made no effort to adapt to meet the standards of the Premiership. For a young, reasonably inexperienced player to go there and perform well was always a big task, especially given that he's a sort of playmaker in a team that doesn't have the ball often.

His next move is huge, if he has another Norwich then people will probably move on from and he'll be left behind. If he can go to a team that utilises his ability properly then I don't doubt he'll be right back on track with expectation.

Has hardly played in the EPL though and it shows in his performances for Scotland.
Hes played alot more than most expected imo.

Norwich was the wrong move but to say hes went backwards is mad.

To be playing vs spartans to mom vs england in the euros is hardly going backwards regardless if he didnt play as much as he liked.

The whole scotland squads been murder recently not just him. Hes not went backwards since leaving us thats my point.

He'll be off on loan somewhere after that contract extension.

Not really the most interesting player in that deep role. Not quite sure why he's been primed for a position which generally is best done by guys who have experience of how to dominant games & have the varied passing range to create. He's 20 so got time on his side

Can't see him coming to us & don't think we need him in our system anyway

He was given an offer to leave that he or his family couldnt turn down. I daresay that if we could have offered him the same, then he would have stayed.

Like I say, not as simple as....he wanted to leave
He still left no matter how you try and qualify it

But I will say, loyalty is a rare commodity these days especially when money is dangled in your face. I hope he finds a team where he can get games, just not us

He still left no matter how you try and qualify it

But I will say, loyalty is a rare commodity these days especially when money is dangled in your face. I hope he finds a team where he can get games, just not us
He would have been mad not to leave it set him up for life.
I would not want him at us on loan as I think our midfielders are better but do not grudge him the move at all.

If a player like Billy Gilmour is available on loan then its a no brainer IMO that we should be in for him. Honestly can't see any negative points

Nothing more than protecting any transfer value they can get.

I don’t see Gilmour making it at Chelsea, unfortunately.
Aye Chelsea have a fair bit of form in that area. They've had players who they've loaned out to 7 or 8 different clubs over many years and still renew their contracts. Seems mental but I suppose it's all in the hopes of getting a decent fee for them.

Gilmour plays almost the same position as Ryan Jack, Lundstram, Steven Davis, Charlie McCann and in recent times Glen Kamara

4 first team players (and McCann who hopefully will see more 1st team games this season coming) who’d all start before Gilmour but we must get him on loan if available, why? because He once played for us? What a ridiculous notion

See Robertson...looks good with the top Liverpool talent around him.
Looks very very ordinary in a Scotland team with SPL calibre players around him.

Gilmore might indeed be cut from the same cloth.
Yes, Roberston is awful for Scotland and really weak in a set-up that you would expect him to shine in.

Gilmour plays almost the same position as Ryan Jack, Lundstram, Steven Davis, Charlie McCann and in recent times Glen Kamara

4 first team players (and McCann who hopefully will see more 1st team games this season coming) who’d all start before Gilmour but we must get him on loan if available, why? because He once played for us? What a ridiculous notion
Well said totally agree
Charlie McCann looks like the real deal I’d love to see us bring him in.
Lowry as well (of course)

James Sands as well.

Has already said he won’t do another loan.
If he is not wanted there he’ll see out his contract at Chelsea and leave or will be sold before hand.

Huge doubts over Jacks fitness over the course of a season

Steven Davis is 37 years old

Charlie McCann has played less games than you have fingers on your hand

Glen Kamara in recent times has been deployed further forward.

I'd say the only certain starter in most games is John Lundstram and Gilmour in there beside him would be an exciting prospect, personally.

I'm over loan moves for other clubs youth players to be honest.
We couldn't afford him full time, and therefore no point in it for me other than giving him more experience.

Largely, these loans have never worked out for us, the kid nor the EPL club.

We couldn't afford him full time, and therefore no point in it for me other than giving him more experience.

We cannot ignore the loan market given our lack of tv money co pared to the big lads.

I do accept results have been mixed with the less experienced ones we've loaned in the past. Different category in BG's case.

Agreed mate.

But.. Threads on Billy Gilmour won't stop until he retires.

Gilmour would start before all of them if fully fit.

Gilmour would start before all of them if fully fit.

But to our long term loss, in my opinion.
A year of Jack/Kamara/Lundstram not playing = annoyance on their behalf and we lose them, probably for less than they should be worth too.

Ahead of McCann all we do is stunt our own players growth.

But to our long term loss, in my opinion.
A year of Jack/Kamara/Lundstram not playing = annoyance on their behalf and we lose them, probably for less than they should be worth too.

Ahead of McCann all we do is stunt our own players growth.

We play a lot of games over a season especially if we go well again in Europe they would all play their part.

He’s more than good enough to make it worthwhile imo.

He was given an offer to leave that he or his family couldnt turn down. I daresay that if we could have offered him the same, then he would have stayed.

Like I say, not as simple as....he wanted to leave
a chance to financially set up your love ones for life, people make it sound like it was an easy decision for him to make and if he's really a rangers fan then he should have stayed, it's not as simple as that

Yeah true, plus I'd rather give Lowry & Kelly game time. The hunger these boys want it it would be stupid to not get these lads on the park and finally get true use of the academy, not 15 mins here n there. That'll never work.

People wouldn't know who a regular in the Scotland side who is on the books of Chelsea is

You really going to run with that.
Kenny McLean played more for Norwich in the EPL and plays for Scotland, don’t hear everyone creaming themselves over him.

There has been threads on Gilmour constantly since he left. It’s getting boring.

Kenny McLean played more for Norwich in the EPL and plays for Scotland, don’t hear everyone creaming themselves over him.

There has been threads on Gilmour constantly since he left. It’s getting boring.

Just to be clear though you accept people would fully know who a 21 year old International playing for Scotland and Chelsea is?

If you find a thread about Billy Gilmour boring I reckon, and this might be wild as f*ck to say right.... not opening a thread which is titled "Billy Gilmour" seems a decent idea TBH, the title gives away what the subject is likely to be

I would expect a lot would TBH.

His profile is pretty removed from Kenny f*cking McLean.
He is in Chelsea’s conveyor belt of loan players and will never make it with them. He be loaned out for a while longer then end up signing for a bottom half EPL club or Chamionship. That was his choice and good luck to him.

He has looked rotten for Norwich and Scotland recently so I don’t understand why we would want him just to give him game time and experience for another club.

He is in Chelsea’s conveyor belt of loan players and will never make it with them. He be loaned out for a while longer then end up signing for a bottom half EPL club or Chamionship. That was his choice and good luck to him.

He has looked rotten for Norwich and Scotland recently so I don’t understand why we would want him just to give him game time and experience for another club.

You know that could happen and yet he could still be really, really good at football and improve our side massively though yeah?

He might fail at Chelsea, De Bruyne, Salah, Ake and Lukaku sort of done that, and they are all f*cking magic.

I would expect people would want him as they understand our model is massively to do with talent recognition and the potential ceiling players can reach TBH as well as factoring in the use of him being one of the more talented home grown players we can attract.

It's not really that wild TBH

You know that could happen and yet he could still be really, really good at football and improve our side massively though yeah?

He might fail at Chelsea, De Bruyne, Salah, Ake and Lukaku sort of done that, and they are all f*cking magic.

I would expect people would want him as they understand our model is massively to do with talent recognition and the potential ceiling players can reach TBH as well as factoring in the use of him being one of the more talented home grown players we can attract.

It's not really that wild TBH
Yeah I’m sure Salah, Lukaku etc would have struggled to get a start for Norwich and be bullied by Ireland and Ukraine.

The last 2 Scotland games he has looked like a wee boy playing a man’s game. We don’t need that.

Billy Gilmour played loads of football for Norwich last season TBH, no idea why people write that he didn't get a game for them when it is so easily disproven by actual events that literally took place
He was also unused on the bench for a long period and had a load of games coming on for a few minutes as a sub.

Yes he got some starts but he was hardly a stand out.

Back