Match Thread Blackpool v Rangers - Match Thread

DC0-A32-D6-E33-A-4-EAA-B8-A7-8500223188-EA.jpg

49-F78-B07-3-DFC-4-F68-9403-8-B9999-D024-CD.jpg

Just in, curious about the showings of Colak and Matondo.

We know Matondo’s fast, but was he showing a final product in getting the ball in or was he cutting inside and having a go himself?

Think he's being moulded into Jack/Davis replacement.

I actually think Sands is one of those guys that’s going to be a victim of their own versatility.

The management team might have a develop plan for him but he won’t get enough playing time in that position to really nail down a starting place IMO.

He’s in an awkward position where he’s not as good as our “starters” in the positions he plays but he’s probably the best “back up” for 2 or 3 of them.

We know Matondo’s fast, but was he showing a final product in getting the ball in or was he cutting inside and having a go himself?
Had a decent shot and put the ball in a dangerous position on each of his 2 runs, looks decent so far

I actually think Sands is one of those guys that’s going to be a victim of their own versatility.

The management team might have a develop plan for him but he won’t get enough playing time in that position to really nail down a starting place IMO.

He’s in an awkward position where he’s not as good as our “starters” in the positions he plays but he’s probably the best “back up” for 2 or 3 of them.

Think he could probably do the Lundstram role in terms of play in the midfield when required or drop into a back 3 as the 3rd centre half like we saw in the Europa final. He seems to get a bit of stick or been written off already which personally I don't get.

Tidy wee game considering the number of players that were rotated today. It was hard to tell much about the new signings apart from Colak looks like he is a hard working player and had a goal chopped off for being offside but took his goal well. Souttar looked solid enough as we already kno, Lawrence was pretty quiet but Matondo looks like he could potentially be what we've been needing on the right hand side. He was causing all sorts of problems every time he charged forward. All in all though it was just good to get some much needed minutes into the players legs.
I caught the second half, Borna scored a beauty with his right foot, curling into the far corner. McCann hit a cracking edge of the box strike straight as a dye. Davis ran the show, Arfield ran his socks off, Rabbi looked quick and dangerous, Čolak made some clever runs and looked strong. I didn’t take much notice of Lawerence, but we played well overall, and the fans were superb!
Cheers lads!

Good warm up match to get back up to speed, positive result and min in people's legs.
Blackpool commentators highlighted every good move by either team (the subs fucked them over with names ), but all in all it was a good watch.

Tidy wee game considering the number of players that were rotated today. It was hard to tell much about the new signings apart from Colak looks like he is a hard working player and had a goal chopped off for being offside but took his goal well. Souttar looked solid enough as we already kno, Lawrence was pretty quiet but Matondo looks like he could potentially be what we've been needing on the right hand side. He was causing all sorts of problems every time he charged forward. All in all though it was just good to get some much needed minutes into the players legs.
Of all the new guys coming in, hoping Matondo makes the biggest impact.

Pace burns the bheasts.
They’ve never been able to handle it.

Last edited:

Colak did well.. Can see his strength on the ball, plenty of closing down & movement from him, few wee give & go's- or attempts at, put the ball in the net from a tight offside.

Matonado didn't get on the ball a lot, but tried to lay off a couple of chances, hit the side netting with a shot, & did show a little but of that pace we have heard about.

Think he could probably do the Lundstram role in terms of play in the midfield when required or drop into a back 3 as the 3rd centre half like we saw in the Europa final. He seems to get a bit of stick or been written off already which personally I don't get.

I agree with you and I think that’s probably his best role.

He gets stick because people have already made their mind up about him and are too stubborn to admit they were wrong. I mean, we still have fans who don’t rate Tav and never will.

No played quite well when he came on looks rapid and played a lovely ball across the box.

Why can’t we just start from the position of assuming good faith.
Maybe it would help if some white people didn't feel the need to be a spokesperson for black people.

This triviality is an absolute example of turning a drama into a crisis for no reason whatsoever. Let black people speak for themselves, they don't need whitey to be the messenger.

This is the nonsence that can put people out of a job. It's f**ken shameful behaviour. I don't know tom, but I dont think he is the grand wizard of the scottish kkk or even anything remotely like it. Who needs enemies, eh.

Maybe it would help if some white people didn't feel the need to be a spokesperson for black people.

This triviality is an absolute example of turning a drama into a crisis for no reason whatsoever. Let black people speak for themselves, they don't need whitey to be the messenger.

This is the nonsence that can put people out of a job. It's f**ken shameful behaviour. I don't know tom, but I dont think he is the grand wizard of the scottish kkk or even anything remotely like it. Who needs enemies, eh.
Agreed. Someone needs to turn the sensitivity meter down from 11.

Colak did well.. Can see his strength on the ball, plenty of closing down & movement from him, few wee give & go's- or attempts at, put the ball in the net from a tight offside.

Matonado didn't get on the ball a lot, but tried to lay off a couple of chances, hit the side netting with a shot, & did show a little but of that pace we have heard about.
Thought they all did pretty well in that heat. Improvement from the Sunderland meet.

Thought Tom's commentary was fine today, apart from the usual "going through the gears" line he always uses.
Thought Katic did fine and still believe he'll shut everyone up if he gets the chance. :shh:
Would be happy to see Kent being sold, I think we could find someone better for the money we'd get.
The King Canute of FF has spoken

We have quite a few CBs though, the question is whether they will play enough, or are ready. I think Katic is currently 6th choice.

Goldson
Souttar
Helander
King
Sands

The talk amongst us at the game today was that it looks like Gio doesn't feel King is ready yet.

Clearly Goldson, Souttar and Sands are all ahead of him, plus Gio has played Katic twice ahead of him in central defence pre season.

King came on at full back today and that's where he played at Tynecastle at the end of last season.

I wouldn’t be suprised to see him go out on loan, so he gets some meaningful game time.

I caught the second half, Borna scored a beauty with his right foot, curling into the far corner. McCann hit a cracking edge of the box strike straight as a dye. Davis ran the show, Arfield ran his socks off, Rabbi looked quick and dangerous, Čolak made some clever runs and looked strong. I didn’t take much notice of Lawerence, but we played well overall, and the fans were superb!

The midfield 3 of McCann, Davis and Arfield did very well and totally dominated when they came on.

Considering none of them will be first choices, it shows that we've got a real depth of quality in that area.

Thought Tom's commentary was fine today, apart from the usual "going through the gears" line he always uses.
Thought Katic did fine and still believe he'll shut everyone up if he gets the chance. :shh:
Would be happy to see Kent being sold, I think we could find someone better for the money we'd get.
Agree up until the Kent bit

I was a little surprised Sands and Katic played left CD today kinda expected Souttar to have time in the role many have suggested he would adopt alongside Goldson .

Reactions: TPP
The talk amongst us at the game today was that it looks like Gio doesn't feel King is ready yet.

Clearly Goldson, Souttar and Sands are all ahead of him, plus Gio has played Katic twice ahead of him in central defence pre season.

King came on at full back today and that's where he played at Tynecastle at the end of last season.

I wouldn’t be suprised to see him go out on loan, so he gets some meaningful game time.
He has the same challenge as James Sands doesn’t he an aerial one should the opposition have a robust physical Striker there is something to be considered

Off topic, our under 18 team lost 5 1 today at Auchenhowie to West Ham. Our team was much younger than theirs (we have an under 18 team in Czech Republic) and WUFC were significantly bigger than our boys. Guy I know was there.

Colak so far off the pace it’s frightening

Going in with just him for the champs league qualifiers is not good. I’d like another striker brought in
What do you think these games are for Chris all I can say is Lundstram, hope that helps?

As far as friendlies go that was a cracking game of entertaining football, but you had 3 shots on goal in the 2nd half only and scored 2‍♂️. Great atmosphere and very good banter between both sets of fans so from me and l hope it’s a regular pre season fixture as it’s great for the clubs and even better for the town
Clinical mate, clinical :shh:

Totally agree, hope it becomes a regular thing. Not as if Blackpool isn't used to a few thousand Glaswegians anyway. My turn in October!

Colak so far off the pace it’s frightening

Going in with just him for the champs league qualifiers is not good. I’d like another striker brought in
Colak looked alright. Some decent bits of link up play, clever movement and took his offside goal really well, not convinced he wasn't in line with the ball. What was it that concerned you?

Clinical mate, clinical :shh:

Totally agree, hope it becomes a regular thing. Not as if Blackpool isn't used to a few thousand Glaswegians anyway. My turn in October!
And that’s what we miss, a clinical striker but they cost a shit load. Blackpool is very well used to the Glaswegians descending here, my dad (god rest him) was a bear and a ballboy at Ibrox in the 1920s/30s

He has the same challenge as James Sands doesn’t he an aerial one should the opposition have a robust physical Striker there is something to be considered
King is small, I think he’s around 5’11 but his game intelligence is ahead of sands. Was also surprised he didn’t play alongside Conner if Souter didn’t start.

You want to see Kent sold, are you John McEnroe? "You cannot be serious?"

I think the phrase for it is Shifting Sands :oops:

Agreed. Sands doesn't appear to be excellent at any one thing, he's just OK at a lot of things. That's why he is, and I suspect always will be, a bit part squad player who fills in as and when required.

He's certainly not displacing any of the current players in his multiple positions.

Agreed. Sands doesn't appear to be excellent at any one thing, he's just OK at a lot of things. That's why he is, and I suspect always will be, a bit part squad player who fills in as and when required.

He's certainly not displacing any of the current players in his multiple positions.

I’m not comparing their styles but he could be this squads version of Lee McCulloch.

I’m not comparing their styles but he could be this squads version of Lee McCulloch.

Just to be clear, I'm not averse to having Sands in the squad, every team needs a player like him over the course of a long season.

I just don't see him playing much a role overall, especially if our key players stay fit.

Back