Match Thread Blackpool v Rangers - Match Thread

I’d still say McGregor is superior to McLaughlin tbh (who is a very capable back up, but never a Rangers starting goalie in a million years).

I’m not even going to get into a keeper debate tbh, can’t be arsed.

Wanted a new number 1 but looks like we are going with what we’ve got.

Just to be clear, I'm not averse to having Sands in the squad, every team needs a player like him over the course of a long season.

I just don't see him playing much a role overall, especially if our key players stay fit.

I agree. I think he’s a good player.

My issue is with the section of our fans that have written him off already and judge players far too quickly.

Interesting McGregor started over McLaughlin.

Yet again, no Roofe.
You think? Against Thistle, McLaughlin and McCrorie got a half each. The same was planned for the Sunderland game. I understand McGregor was injured for those two. Today it was his turn to get a half alongside McLaughlin.

I don’t think we can read too much into it at this stage yet. GvB could confuse us even more by giving each of McLaughlin and McGregor 90 minutes over the next two friendlies ha ha.

A pretty frustrating game today again, very similar to too many league games last year. I know it’s a friendly and early days but it was poor to watch from us. I don’t want to see Goldson or our keeper having the most amount of touches in a game. Playing back across the pitch then to the keeper countless times as if teams suddenly open up. Not able to get wide players on the ball, was like watching so many of last years games. The opposition getting good chances from corners even though we have flooded our six yard area. A lot of the same issues that cost us last year haven’t been addressed, hopefully once new players settle in we become more dynamic, there was hardly a game last year that we put to bed and could relax watching the last twenty minutes.

A pretty frustrating game today again, very similar to too many league games last year. I know it’s a friendly and early days but it was poor to watch from us. I don’t want to see Goldson or our keeper having the most amount of touches in a game. Playing back across the pitch then to the keeper countless times as if teams suddenly open up. Not able to get wide players on the ball, was like watching so many of last years games. The opposition getting good chances from corners even though we have flooded our six yard area. A lot of the same issues that cost us last year haven’t been addressed, hopefully once new players settle in we become more dynamic, there was hardly a game last year that we put to bed and could relax watching the last twenty minutes.
Totally agree its so frustrating we are a good team but we seem to put the shackles on ourselves most games , when our players turn and drive at opposition teams we look so much more dynamic and threatening, but for some reason its pass back or pass across the field most of the time.

Totally agree its so frustrating we are a good team but we seem to put the shackles on ourselves most games , when our players turn and drive at opposition teams we look so much more dynamic and threatening, but for some reason its pass back or pass across the field most of the time.

This frustrates the life out of me and I’m hoping it’s something Gio is going to work on going forward. We look a far better team when we play with tempo and intensity.

The reason it happens so often is because we basically vacate the entire midfield when we have the ball.

A lot of our attacking threat comes from our full backs so we push them forward at every opportunity. Our holding players then drop into the space vacated by our full backs which leaves us with very few options to pass the ball through the middle and it forces us to go wide all the time.

This frustrates the life out of me and I’m hoping it’s something Gio is going to work on going forward. We look a far better team when we play with tempo and intensity.

The reason it happens so often is because we basically vacate the entire midfield when we have the ball.

A lot of our attacking threat comes from our full backs so we push them forward at every opportunity. Our holding players then drop into the space vacated by our full backs which leaves us with very few options to pass the ball through the middle and it forces us to go wide all the time.
I think alot of this relates to the midfield 3. Both games we gone ultra defensive with a combo of jack/davis/kamara and lundstram. All 4 or defensive minded and rarely create. That will change once Lawrence and Tillman are up to speed.

I think alot of this relates to the midfield 3. Both games we gone ultra defensive with a combo of jack/davis/kamara and lundstram. All 4 or defensive minded and rarely create. That will change once Lawrence and Tillman are up to speed.

I wouldn’t read too much into that at the moment, I think Gio is just trying to get minutes into the legs at the moment.

I’d like to see us play with one holding player next season with two attacking midfielders playing ahead of them, especially at home.

Players that turn and drive get slated on here. "Headless chicken, Bambi on ice, no end product, poor decision making" etc.

FF prefers the more predictable, play it safe types. Yesterday's game was typical, turgid and boring. A complete non event.

And now we have the usual talk of settling in.

Players that turn and drive get slated on here. "Headless chicken, Bambi on ice, no end product, poor decision making" etc.

FF prefers the more predictable, play it safe types. Yesterday's game was typical, turgid and boring. A complete non event.

And now we have the usual talk of settling in.

It was a pre season friendly ffs.

It’s our 2nd pre-season game ya mentalist.

How much can we get for him?
The pity was he struggled at times, perhaps being out left is new, and he'll adjust to things like that. He'll be better for it, and hopefully becomes a very good Rangers player in the future.

What a good friendly this has been a good run out for the team & a blinding weekend for us be good to make this a regular pre season game

I quite like Sands. Nothing fancy but he does his job effectively.

Good day yesterday all round cracking atmosphere good to be back.

Great day mate.

I like Sands too.
He's quicker than I thought, plus he uses the ball well and shifts it quickly too.

Although I still see him more as a holding mid, it looks like he's moved himself up the pecking order as central defensive cover.

Great day mate.

I like Sands too.
He's quicker than I thought, plus he uses the ball well and shifts it quickly too.

Although I still see him more as a holding mid, it looks like he's moved himself up the pecking order as central defensive cover.
Aye I thought he was quite stiff to start with but he can shift a bit for his size.

Had a few missed calls from our pal @Neilston Unionist :))

Back