Bring Ross McCrorie home

Fail to see what he offers when he isn't exactly impressing on his loan.

Docherty impressed and can't get near the team. Maybe shows you how far away he actually is?

You know how it works.

Hard tackler = good player

Lots of folk on here rate Jon Flanagan for this simple reason.

If that's all McCrorie was, how come he shone against Celtic, Aberdeen & Hibs last season?

Fail to see what he offers when he isn't exactly impressing on his loan.

Docherty impressed and can't get near the team. Maybe shows you how far away he actually is?

Kent was also rotten in his other loan spells btw...

Arfield is the most offensive midfielder. I'm talking about sitting in front of defence and breaking up play. The lack of options is criminal.

It's incredible to me that management could leave us so bare in midfield when we are supposed to be going for 55 and people aren't upset about it.

We have three midfielders tonight. Three.

Ross' Portsmouth beat my local team last night and I see he was on the bench returning from injury. I am glad I didn't pay the £26 to go to the match in the end with him getting no minutes.
I think he is another one of our fringe guys that needs the minutes and is just not fully ready for our first team yet and is better playing than sitting on our bench IMO

Arfield is the most offensive midfielder. I'm talking about sitting in front of defence and breaking up play. The lack of options is criminal.

It's incredible to me that management could leave us so bare in midfield when we are supposed to be going for 55 and people aren't upset about it.

We have three midfielders tonight. Three.

I'm well aware of where Arfield plays in our midfield mate.

Ryan Jack was playing right central midfield and Scott replaced him like for like.

I know you don't like to hear it mate, but on the very rare occasion Gerrard decides to play a holding, defensive midfield destroyer, he's clearly happy enough to go either with Polster or Edmundson.

Both have played the position at times in their careers and both are technically better footballers than McCrorie (at this moment) and every bit as physical.

How many games have they played in the defensive midfield between them this season?

Twice possibly?

That's how much football Ross would've played, if he was lucky.

Ryan Jack was playing right central midfield and Scott replaced him like for like.

I know you don't like to hear it mate, but on the very rare occasion Gerrard decides to play a holding, defensive midfield destroyer, he's clearly happy enough to go either with Polster or Edmundson.

Both have played the position at times in their careers and both are technically better footballers than McCrorie (at this moment) and every bit as physical.

How many games have they played in the defensive midfield between them this season?

Twice possibly?

Polster is playing right back mate. He was getting sold or loaned only last week.

Ed is a centre back should we use him in midfield that leaves us with two centre backs.

The lack of options in midfield is criminal and no one will convince me otherwise.

We should have at least six capable midfielders yet we have three. It's irresponsible at best.

Polster is playing right back mate. He was getting sold or loaned only last week.

Ed is a centre back should we use him in midfield that leaves us with two centre backs.

The lack of options in midfield is criminal and no one will convince me otherwise.

We should have at least six capable midfielders yet we have three. It's irresponsible at best.
It's a little strange that some see McCrorie as a terrible passer with poor skill, but the incumbents and current back-ups are seemingly flawless.

It's a little strange that some see McCrorie as a terrible passer with poor skill, but the incumbents and current back-ups are seemingly flawless.
He's a lot better than many on here give him credit for but even if what they say was true (it isn't) and if management see players like Doc as not good enough and not fitting into their one way idealised view of a midfielder then it's their responsibility to sign players that do, but we haven't we have literally three midfielders for three positions tonight and have no one else, no one. Let's hope we don't pick up another injury.

And when we are going for 55 our most important trophy in our history? That is criminal.

He's a lot better than many on here give him credit for but even if what they say was true (it isn't) and if management see players like Doc as not good enough and not fitting into their one way idealised view of a midfielder then it's their responsibility to sign players that do, but we haven't we have literally three midfielders for three positions tonight and have no one else, no one. Let's hope we don't pick up another injury.

And when we are going for 55 our most important trophy in our history? That is criminal.
He can also play right back or centre half imo.

Polster is every much, if not more, of a central midfielder than full back.

He's only covering that position until our captain returns next week.

Edmundson is primarily a central defender, but can play defensive midfield on the rare, (very rare) occasion we actually play with one.

There is absolutely no need to recall McCrorie to play in a role we very seldom use and anyway have a couple of players that can cover the position equally well.

I agree with you that we need another midfielder in though, as we only have 4 top quality ones.

However, it has to be a midfielder that can play in the same style as Davis, Arfield, Jack and Kamara and immediately fits into our style of midfield play.

He's only covering that position until our captain returns next week.

Edmundson is primarily a central defender, but can play defensive midfield on the rare, (very rare) occasion we actually play with one.

There is absolutely no need to recall McCrorie to play in a role we very seldom use and anyway have a couple of players that can cover the position equally well.

I agree with you that we need another midfielder in though, as we only have 4 top quality ones.

However, it has to be a midfielder that can play in the same style as Davis, Arfield, Jack and Kamara and immediately fits into our style of midfield play.
Polster is playing right back. Ed is a centre back if he plays midfield we have two centre backs. If Polster plays midfield we have Flanagan. If Aribo plays midfield we have Ojo.

I'm talking about now. Not in an idealised future when everyone is fit I'm talking about having a squad which we obviously don't if you're wanting to swap players around to cover for one injury in midfield.

We have one injured midfielder and right now only have three midfielders. That is a disgrace.

And if management are gonna insist of having midfielders who are all similar and only play one way then it's their responsibility to sign such midfielders and they haven't.

We go into an important match tonight with three midfielders for three positions. That's the reality. We need more realism and less idealism.

Let's just hope we don't pick up any injuries or suspensions. We can't afford to worry about loss of form since we have no one to replace them anyway.

Polster is playing right back. Ed is a centre back if he plays midfield we have two centre backs. If Polster plays midfield we have Flanagan. I'd Aribo plays midfield we have Ojo.

I'm talking about now. Not in an idealised future when everyone is fit I'm talking about having a squad which we obviously don't if you're wanting but to swap players around to cover for one injury in midfield.

We have one injured midfielder and right now only have three midfielders. That is a disgrace.

And if management are gonna insist of having midfielders who are all similar and only play one way then it's their responsibility to sign such midfielders and they haven't.

We go into an important match tonight with three midfielders for three positions. That's the reality. We need more realism and less idealism.

Let's just hope we don't pick up any injuries or suspensions. We can't afford to worry about loss of form since we have no one to replace them anyway.

We won't be in this position when the window closes.

Ross is an average defensive mid. He is also injured.
I don’t see what he will add to the team.
To me our main problem is the lack of goals from the two wide positions and creativity from midfield.
If anything we need to think about the replacement for Davis at the age he is.

That's about as logical as saying Josh Windass is a superstar because he scored a goal against the scum mate.

He's doesn't have the physicality to play central defence mate.

Even Ross and Gerrard said exactly the same.

Look at the height of Goldson, Katic, Helander, Edmundson and Mayo.

They're all at least 2 nches taller than him and way more powerfully built.

We won't be in this position when the window closes.
So we do need to sign midfielders then but we don't need to recall our midfielder who has proven he can do a job in this league?

Why are we in this position in the first place, why are we going into a match with three midfielders when only the other week everyone including management was seemingly in agreement that our squad is fine and we don't need to sign anyone?

We can't even afford to drop or rest or heaven forbid get an injury to our midfield because we only have three, yet everyone is talking of signing strikers and wingers.

It's all very strange. We should not be in this position at all. We are supposed to be going for 55 and it's irresponsible.

Ross is an average defensive mid. He is also injured.
I don’t see what he will add to the team.
To me our main problem is the lack of goals from the two wide positions and creativity from midfield.
If anything we need to think about the replacement for Davis at the age he is.
We have three midfielders. And having a defensive mid that can come on and shut down games is just as important as having one up top that can open them up.

For the squad I’d take him back. Sitting him in front of the back 4 off the bench to see out a game to close things out and he’ll do a job

So we do need to sign midfielders then but we don't need to recall our midfielder who has proven he can do a job in this league?

Why are we in this position in the first place, why are we going into a match with three midfielders when only the other week everyone including management was seemingly in agreement that our squad is fine and we don't need to sign anyone?

We can't even afford to drop or rest or heaven forbid get an injury to our midfield because we only have three, yet everyone is talking of signing strikers and wingers.

It's all very strange. We should not be in this position at all. We are supposed to be going for 55 and it's irresponsible.

He proved on many occasions he couldn't play the type of fast tempo possession retaining football Gerrard wanted to play and got dropped out the team for long spells.

Our midfield has improved immeasurably since then, so he won't be coming back this window.

We need a midfielder of the same standard of the current 4.

He's doesn't have the physicality to play central defence mate.

Even Ross and Gerrard said exactly the same.

Look at the height of Goldson, Katic, Helander, Edmundson and Mayo.

They're all at least 2 nches taller than him and way more powerfully built.
Helander 192 cm skinny.
Katic 194 cm solid.
Goldson 191 cm skinny.
Edmundson 190 cm solid.
McCrorie 191 cm solid.
Assuming you can convert metric to imperial, Katic is just over 1 inch taller, Helander less than half an inch taller, the others equal or shorter mate.

We have three midfielders. And having a defensive mid that can come on and shut down games is just as important as having one up top that can open them up.
Our problem against Hearts was they pressed us in the middle of the park and our three never got their passing going.
Ross would have helped if we were getting attacked constantly but we weren’t.
We needed our midfield to control the ball and get their passing going. We were badly let down by the play of Aribo and Kent who missed good chances also. Defoe also played poor.
Ross wouldn’t have helped against Hearts. A better midfielder who ran at their defence would have.

He proved on many occasions he couldn't play the type of fast tempo possession retaining football Gerrard wanted to play and got dropped out the team for long spells.

Our midfield has improved immeasurably since then, so he won't be coming back this window.

We need a midfielder of the same standard of the current 4.
And our midfield has proved that the fast tempo possession based play doesn't always work. What happens when it doesn't?

Management needs to learn this lesson that we can't be arrogant enough to think we can play our way and only our way all the time and that we need different options for different eventualities.

For a start we need to learn to close a game down and hold onto a lead when it becomes a battle and we are losing it. And that's where having different type of players comes in. We need to drop our arrogance and be more realistic otherwise we will continue to drop points by not holding onto leading positions.

This is how we have always done it in this league. And this will be the difference in winning it or not.

Twice possibly?

I understand all that mate.

But IMHO if Gerrard had brought McCrorie and Arfield on for Jack and Kamara (who was clearly having an off day) at half time on Sunday we would have done significantly better in the game. Who knows we might even have won the game.

Our problem against Hearts was they pressed us in the middle of the park and our three never got their passing going.
Ross would have helped if we were getting attacked constantly but we weren’t.
We needed our midfield to control the ball and get their passing going. We were badly let down by the play of Aribo and Kent who missed good chances also. Defoe also played poor.
Ross wouldn’t have helped against Hearts. A better midfielder who ran at their defence would have.
Ross would've dealt with Naismith and cut of his danger dropping into midfield. He also would've shut down attacks and won the physical battle which we lost.

The point is to have the options and we don't. If it isn't working we have nothing to change it.

I understand all that mate.

But IMHO if Gerrard had brought McCrorie and Arfield on for Jack and Kamara (who was clearly having an off day) at half time on Sunday we would have done significantly better in the game. Who knows we might even have won the game.

I will add again you are aware McCrorie is injured.

Ross would've dealt with Naismith and cut of his danger dropping into midfield. He also would've shut down attacks and won the physical battle which we lost.

The point is to have the options and we don't. If it isn't working we have nothing to change it.

He would have helped if we were getting attacked. We weren’t. The problem was our midfield not keeping possession. It is better midfielders we need not average converted defensive midfielders.

Helander 192 cm skinny.
Katic 194 cm solid.
Goldson 191 cm skinny.
Edmundson 190 cm solid.
McCrorie 191 cm solid.
Assuming you can convert metric to imperial, Katic is just over 1 inch taller, Helander less than half an inch taller, the others equal or shorter mate.

McCrorie solid and Goldson skinny. :)) :)) :))

There's been multiple threads on here about McCrorie's height being wrong in websites.

He's commented on it himself.

Even Robby was slagging him for being 3 inches taller than him now.

Anyway it doesn't really matter mate.

Both McCrorie and Gerrard knew he'd never make a central defender and he also wasn't currently good enough to compete with our midfielders.

That's the facts, so no point in us going round in circles.

He would have helped if we were getting attacked. We weren’t. The problem was our midfield not keeping possession. It is better midfielders we need not average converted defensive midfielders.
The problem was that we got out fought and lost the physical battle. That's why we couldn't keep possession.

And our midfield has proved that the fast tempo possession based play doesn't always work. What happens when it doesn't?

Management needs to learn this lesson that we can't be arrogant enough to think we can play our way and only our way all the time and that we need different options for different eventualities.

For a start we need to learn to close a game down and hold onto a lead when it becomes a battle and we are losing it. And that's where having different type of players comes in. We need to drop our arrogance and be more realistic otherwise we will continue to drop points by not holding onto leading positions.

This is how we have always done it in this league. And this will be the difference in winning it or not.

Do you actually go to our games?

It's worked all over Europe and at the piggery.

We've lost 2 league games, 1 European game and the LC Final default all season.

Meanwhile, Ross got dropped from the League 1 Portsmouth midfield.

I don’t get it. They expect us to be better by playing a worse midfielder with less experience?

There is a lot of ignorance of Polster as a player on this forum. Most wanted shot of him until they actually saw what he could do at Tynecastle. A very capable backup holding midfielder and right back as far as I can see. Technically very capable and a solid tackler. His techincal ability makes him a better deputy for our current centre mids than McCrorie imo too because our style of play doesn't have to change.

I think issue is creating chances and scoring goals and I don't think Ross would help in that area. If he's playing well at pompey leave him to get game time rather than bring him back for the possibility of a few games

I don’t get it. They expect us to be better by playing a worse midfielder with less experience?
I think someone like McCrorie can be a useful player to draft in at places like Tynecastle, Parkhead and Pittodrie if the game turns a certain way. But our current centre mids have done brilliantly well and our style and formation has been a huge success. Including at the stadiums I mentioned earlier.

There is a lot of ignorance of Polster as a player on this forum. Most wanted shot of him until they actually saw what he could do at Tynecastle. A very capable backup holding midfielder and right back as far as I can see. Technically very capable and a solid tackler. His techincal ability makes him a better deputy for our current centre mids than McCrorie imo too because our style of play doesn't have to change.

Of course he is mate.

Plenty will agree with you.

McCrorie solid and Goldson skinny. :)) :)) :))

There's been multiple threads on here about McCrorie's height being wrong in websites.

He's commented on it himself.

Even Robby was slagging him for being 3 inches taller than him now.

Anyway it doesn't really matter mate.

Both McCrorie and Gerrard knew he'd never make a central defender and he also wasn't currently good enough to compete with our midfielders.

That's the facts, so no point in us going round in circles.
That's not the facts, but believe what you will.

That's not the facts, but believe what you will.

Well let's see how many times Ross starts in central defence under Gerrard and if he was good enough to currently compete with Davis, Jack, Kamara and Arfield he'd still be here.

I go when I can aye, does it matter?

We've also lost leading positions and late goals in Europe have we not?

Against Aberdeen away we were 2-0 up and lost it. We lost a leading positions on Sunday too. Did we not? Did we have any options on the bench in midfield to change it? No.

Btw I love how we play and our system and our midfield has been immense however, the question is when it isn't working how do we change it so we hold onto a lead?

I don't give a shit what Ross does in a Pompey shirt he's done it a rangers shirt and that's all that matters to me.

Meanwhile in the real world the reality is he is our player and we have three available mids.

Well let's see how many times Ross starts in central defence under Gerrard and if he was good enough to currently compete with Davis, Jack, Kamara and Arfield he'd still be here.
Kamara should be dropped for that disgrace of a performance but we can't because we literally have no one else.

Btw for all this talk of possession based mids and bad passers and keeping the ball. I've yet to see Ross make as many howlers and costly mistakes in midfield as kamara, or loss form as much as Arfield does. So let's at least be fair.

Kamara should be dropped for that disgrace of a performance but we can't because we literally have no one else.

Btw for all this talk of possession based mids and bad passers and keeping the ball. I've yet to see Ross make as many howlers and costly mistakes in midfield as kamara, or loss form as much as Arfield does. So let's at least be fair.

Jesus.

Let's leave it there.

No I expect us to stop being so arrogant to presume that we can play the way we want to play all the time and actually give other teams the respect they deserve, and understand that sometimes how we set up won't work so we need to change it, we need to stop their danger men from playing, we need to adapt how we play to suit any given game when it is needed.

And we need options on the bench to do that and we don't have them because we are too arrogant to accept that being a better player won't always mean we win.

Back