Carlos 'Gullit' Peña

Truffle Shuffle

Where are we with the return of the bold Carlos?

Is Gerrard mentioning the need for a striker in particular because Gullit is set to come back and take the SPHell by storm, so there is no need for a creative goal scoring midfielder? Will we ever see him again? Will he be released?

Where are we with the return of the bold Carlos?

Is Gerrard mentioning the need for a striker in particular because Gullit is set to come back and take the SPHell by storm, so there is no need for a creative goal scoring midfielder? Will we ever see him again? Will he be released?
:)

I reckon he'll be at least given a chance by Gerrard, whether that's just to show his attitude in training I am not sure. Don't see him featuring much though until he's proven he can make an impact.

I think we'll be trying to move him on and work will be ongoing in the background to do this. He's still technically on loan until January anyway.

If we are unable to move him on then he might end up back but he'll have to do a lot to convince the management he deserves a place and I can't see that happening.

“He’s due back at Rangers in January, that’s when his loan at Cruz Azul ends,” he told the Record Rangers podcast.

“Obviously he went from Cruz Azul to Nexaca in Mexico and obviously that hasn’t worked out for him either, and they’re wanting rid of him.

“My understanding is, just as far as Rangers are concerned, they agreed that a loan contract with Cruz Azul is until January and as far as Rangers are aware that hasn’t changed.

“Whether he comes back to Glasgow for a few days, or a week or whatever, Rangers believe the player belongs to Cruz Azul until January and that’s when Rangers will then deal with the situation in terms of what to do with him.”

1501272.jpg

But he has since been let go by Nexaca after the fellow Mexican club took over his loan (Pic: GETTY)
Pena was sacked by Cruz Azul following a series of shameful off-field, alcohol-related incidents.

He checked himself into the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic, owned by boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez, in the Mexican state of Sinaloa as he aimed to recover from an alcohol addiction.

After checking out two weeks early insisting he was clean, Nexaca then took over his loan from Cruz Azul - but after making a mere five appearances they decided to part company with the player.

“I don’t believe anyone at Rangers, including Steven Gerrard, believes that there’s any real future for him,” he said.

“Listen, I wouldn’t rule out in January if Rangers get away for a little break or whatever, maybe Steven Gerrard will say: ‘come along, let’s have a look at you and see what your fitness is like.’

“But I would be surprised at that and I’d be absolutely flabbergasted if there was any future for Carlos Pena, and that’s a problem for Rangers financially in terms of they’re gonna have to sort out his contract and get him off the wage bill, but I think at the moment that’s what they’d be willing to do.”

A fully fit Pena with the right mental attitude would be a good addition to the squad.
He’s been dropped by 2 loan clubs in his own country because he’s shite what makes you think he’d be any better over here?

I reckon he'll be at least given a chance by Gerrard, whether that's just to show his attitude in training I am not sure. Don't see him featuring much though until he's proven he can make an impact.

Zero chance.

Zero percent chance that Gerard will have him near our squad.

If a guy who can't perform and is a notorious bevvy merchant gets near the first team, what message does that send to the rest of the squad? Proper athletes who look after themselves will be absolutely raging and young up and coming players would think this is a reasonable way to behave.

It feels like the weekly 'Rossiter' threads are now being replaced with 'Pena' ones. Also, what is this Gullit nonsense?

It does look like he's not gonna play again and a few posters have mentioned cutting our losses. Surely we've got a case for sacking him if he's been bevvying and not attempting to get properly fit? Is his contract loaded in his favour or, as should be the case, does the player also have a duty to justify his behaviour?

He'll be off quicker than you can flick snot off your shorts.

I look forward to the thread on him in 5 years time all about the what-ifs.

I think this will happen.
“Listen, I wouldn’t rule out in January if Rangers get away for a little break or whatever, maybe Steven Gerrard will say: ‘come along, let’s have a look at you and see what your fitness is like.’
Then he’ll be released

We’d be as well having a look at him and see where he’s at.

It’s not going to cost us any more to do that.

I must admit that I was starting to fret as we’d got to Tuesday before the weekly ‘Pena’ thread appeared.:rolleyes:

He’s due back in January. The first we will hear about his movements will likely be via the man himself’s social media accounts. Little point in speculating beyond that.

No chance SG would risk disruption off the squad harmony by bringing that fcking waster back

He scored 5 goals in the 14 games he played for us, whilst pished.

If he's twice as good when he's sober, he will start every game. :D

Pretty sure he still has the most goals/minute played of anyone in the squad :rolleyes: but I doubt we're gonna pay him close to 30k a week till the end of his contract and not at least attempt to make him into a player, even if its just so somebody else will take him for free

He won’t want to come back at all, and we won’t want him back. Anyone thinking Gerrard will even invite him back for training is off their nut.

He seems to be the exact opposite of the type of person or player Gerrard wants around the place. For that reason I just can’t see him being near the training centre, stadium or squad unless for contractual meetings. I seem to remember Alfie was with him and appeared to be being influenced for a while too. There’s no way any possible disruption will be near the squad. I can’t even see Gerrard wasting his or his back room teams time on it. Coming back from Mexico with glowing reports of how he’s changed and it might be different but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Back