Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Celtic FC must compensate the victims of paedophiles who used their positions at Celtic Boys Club to prey on children, an SNP MSP whose son played for both teams has said.
James Dornan has written to Peter Lawwell, Celtic’s chief executive, asking for answers on how he intends to respond to the scandal.
Mr Dornan, who represents Glasgow Cathcart, said that he felt obliged to speak out because his son had played for Celtic Boys Club and the Celtic senior team in the 1980s.
“My son played for both the boys’ club and Celtic and there is no doubt at all in my mind that they are connected, he said. “I saw it first hand. They may not have been connected legally, but they were closely linked.

“These boys, now adults, had a desire to play for Celtic; that’s why they joined the boys club. The clubs owes these people some sort of recognition for what they went through.”
Mr Dornan believes that Celtic should follow the example set by Manchester City by apologising and offering compensation to victims who were sexually abused while in youth teams affiliated to the club.
He said: “This is a club that prides itself on doing the right thing. They must surely see that these individuals that played for Celtic Boys Club are part of the wider Celtic family.
“They should do what Manchester City did and make some money available to them, but more than that, they should make these people feel like they belong again.”
Steve Dornan, who was on Celtic’s books between 1988 and 1989, was not abused, but remains friends with individuals who were.
“I have written to ask what Celtic FC intend to do to support the victims of the Celtic Boys Clubs abuse scandal,” his father said. “I am expecting a response of some kind by the end of the week. If I don’t get that I’ll be releasing the letter I sent to him.”
The MSP spoke out after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former Celtic kitman and a Celtic Boys Club coach was jailed for six years and nine months last week after being convicted of molesting boys over a 24-year period. The prison sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, an 83-year-old former coach, were both jailed for sexually abusing young footballers. Some of the abuse took place in the dressing room at Celtic Park.
Gerald King, 66, former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl while he was employed as a primary school teacher, but was not jailed.
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the Boys Club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.
Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing abuse survivors, joined calls for Celtic to accept responsibility.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “My message to Celtic’s board of directors as individuals and to Mr Lawwell is ‘stop hiding behind lawyers, legal niceties and legal escape routes’. You are an extremely affluent club, you have the means, you have the ability, and you have the moral compulsion to do the right thing and set up a compensation scheme.”
since when did they scumbags pride themselves on doing the right thing nearly choked on ma tea there :)

The times saying theres to be a cross border investigation into mccafferty and bennell
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...l-celtic-boys-club-coach-mccafferty-fggtxfwkg

Not got time sub so can post full article

A “paedophile ring” involving the most notorious abuser in British sporting history and a Celtic Boys Club coach is being investigated on both sides of the border.

The English and Scottish Football Associations are examining a “partnership” between Barry Bennell, who worked with young players at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, and Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boys coach.

Last week McCafferty, 73, was jailed for abusing boys over a 24-year period, Bennell, 65, is serving a 30-year sentence for molesting youngsters on an “industrial scale”.

A source close to the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football said: “The partnership between McCafferty and Bennell is included in the investigation. There will be full disclosure.”

The final report from the review was delayed last year to avoid prejudicing criminal proceedings.

However, The Times understands that it will contain evidence that McCafferty took youngsters from Glasgow to tournaments in the northwest of England where they were introduced to Bennell. The information has been shared with the English FA.

Manchester City, which is carrying out an abuse investigation of its own, has established that Bennell took youngsters to tournaments in Ayrshire.

Thompsons Solicitors is convinced that McCafferty was part of an abuse network which involved Bennell and Jim Torbett, 71, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, who was jailed last November for abusing boys.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “There is clear evidence of trips being organised in both directions; Bennell bringing boys up to Scotland and McCafferty taking boys clubs on trips to the Greater Manchester area.

“I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward.”
Mr McGuire added: “McCafferty and Bennell were the two most prolific and horrific paedophiles that we know of in football circles. Undoubtedly they were working together . . . it makes you shudder.”

Celtic FC and Crewe Alexandra did not respond to a request for comment.

The Glasgow club has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the boys club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.

I would more inclined to pay attention if he was calling for a public enquiry into the paedophile ring at Celtc
Yes.
You can’t help think of something more sinister when a scumbag like Dornan “speaks out”.
Like getting in before the avalanche type of thing.
For sure, and this is based on how little anybody outwith septic and despite knowing about it, have never uttered two words about it, the victims of the abuse are not the first priority here.
Or the second, third or forth.

abuse is abuse did he think it was a carry on? on another planet these people man[/QUOTE

Seems to me that, as his son wasn’t one of the abused, he turned a blind eye. How any human being, let alone parent, can know something like that and not report it is beyond belief. I certainly couldn’t have lived with myself knowing that I knew and done nothing.

Can anybody think of a reason why Celtic FC had the need to set up the boys club as a “separate entity”?

if I knew of any kid being abused mine or not the polis is the last thing people need to worry about mate unreal he's kept quiet about this really starting to wonder how many people knew and done nothing

Only the gullible will be naive enough to swallow this drivel from dornan.

This is nothing more than a carefully worded prompting to afford abhorrent fc the opportunity to respond to mounting pressure.
As others have mentioned its stage managed of course, pretty much what we would expect from this Rodent. He has all the integrity of a rattle snake and any time I read anything attributed to him I'm always saddened by the fact we allowed his ilk a say in politics.

if I knew of any kid being abused mine or not the polis is the last thing people need to worry about mate unreal he's kept quiet about this really starting to wonder how many people knew and done nothing
I’ve found the tweet, don’t know how to post a screenshot however his words were when asked if he knew when his son played for cbc.

“Nothing like what has come out. If I had, I can assure you it wouldn’t have been going on for so long and he wouldn’t have been there either.”

There’s already been a huge admission of guilt with their desperate attempt to rush in and have the boys club name changed. If they were confident they’d done nothing wrong and that they’d be cleared they wouldn’t have bothered their arse with that.

But what is a controlled governing body going to do about it?

This will be a "let's move on and learn lessons" response.

Even if Celtic pay through the courts, nothing is happening to them in a footballing element

"I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward.”

Further proof that the Scottish authorities are dragging their feet over this.

The SFA might have but the club involved continue to deny involvement

The full Times article on post #27 above

Is it me that’s concerned the the joint investigation doesn’t mention police in Scotland and England getting involved

It only mentions the English FA and SFA and I have zero trust that the SFA will fully disclose the connections between McCafferty and Bennell

These crimes are criminal acts so why are the police not investigating the links between McCafferty and CFC and Bennell and Crewe and so called tournaments and trips

Looks like another carve up here

I’m not sure mate. CFC tried to cover it up. That maybe the difference here. I think this may have a long way to go yet. I agree there seems to be no action but that’s down to the corruption within the SFA and the present Scottish government imo. The sooner the English FA are involved the better. I do believe this will become a full blown inquiry involving the trips to America also. Apparently there is a documentary maker already in the process of investigation also. It’s a disgrace the inquiry hasn’t been launched. I’ve said in previous posts that I do believe there are more victims still to come out but until that inquiry starts then they will remain silent. I just hope that it takes CFC down and ends their existence. If the Americans get involved and prove that there was abuse stateside then I think American lawyers will bury Celtic. My point is mate I think we need to be patient on this one. Frustrating as it is.
Rather a forensic investigation, than a slap-dash investigation. The more evidence and facts the better to nail those Paedophile facilitators at Celtic Fc to the floor.

This odious little reptile is using this as a crusade for his own ego and agenda. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

A “paedophile ring” involving the most notorious abuser in British sporting history and a Celtic Boys Club coach is being investigated on both sides of the border.

The English and Scottish Football Associations are examining a “partnership” between Barry Bennell, who worked with young players at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, and Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boys coach.

Last week McCafferty, 73, was jailed for abusing boys over a 24-year period, Bennell, 65, is serving a 30-year sentence for molesting youngsters on an “industrial scale”.

A source close to the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football said: “The partnership between McCafferty and Bennell is included in the investigation. There will be full disclosure.”

The final report from the review was delayed last year to avoid prejudicing criminal proceedings.

However, The Times understands that it will contain evidence that McCafferty took youngsters from Glasgow to tournaments in the northwest of England where they were introduced to Bennell. The information has been shared with the English FA.

Manchester City, which is carrying out an abuse investigation of its own, has established that Bennell took youngsters to tournaments in Ayrshire.

Thompsons Solicitors is convinced that McCafferty was part of an abuse network which involved Bennell and Jim Torbett, 71, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, who was jailed last November for abusing boys.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “There is clear evidence of trips being organised in both directions; Bennell bringing boys up to Scotland and McCafferty taking boys clubs on trips to the Greater Manchester area.

“I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward.”
Mr McGuire added: “McCafferty and Bennell were the two most prolific and horrific paedophiles that we know of in football circles. Undoubtedly they were working together . . . it makes you shudder.”

The Glasgow club has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the boys club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.
That makes your skin crawl, frightening stuff.

Dornan, the man who knew about the abuse but didn’t report it as, “he didn’t realise it was as bad as it was”.

Every bit as bad as the men who abused.

If it were one of my kids and I knew about it, hell would break loose.

Unfortunately some people and religions act differently, cover it up and continue to offend.

Sick, disgusting, vile, paedo scumbags.

The SFA and English FA investigation should be a cross border police investigation

These are criminal acts that have been committed by McCafferty and Bennell when they have organised trips to Scotland and England

The police should ask CBC or now St Pats and CFC for a list of names of all players and youth players between 1966 - until present date and track the ex players down and interview them

Same with Crewe and Man City players

These are criminal acts and the truth needs outed

Bennell should also be reinterviewed by policeand asked about his links to McCafferty /CBC / CFC / Savile and any other paedos

This is the beginning of the end game where there will be no hiding place for that football cesspit Celtic FC / SNP for denying the victims justice by going for an inquiry to find out what and who covered this up / and if proven the it was covered up

Then they DID gain an sporting advantage by sponsorship deals that would never have gone to them

The sale of players who came through the youths who would never have stayed there

This is a horrendous crime on Scottish football that the SFA. UEFA. FIFA Must get involved in

And must impose the strictestest punishments to Celtic FC

The minimum being demoted there is no grey area here

Worth remembering Torbett would have been, what 18/19 when he started CBC with Celtic.

Are we supposed to believe he just strolled up and said I'm starting a team, can I use your name, badge etc.
And kelly and McGinn let someone not more than a kid himself have all that access and facilities.
Torbett was almost certainly abused himself as a kid. Were there more older adults who used him as the public face of CBC and the ring?

Was he known to, or was there any connection with kelly, McGinn or anyone else at Celtic before 1966? It just seems bizarre he can just rock up to Parkhead with an idea for a team.
I believe the " street team" he was running prior to CBC was the Mount Street Marvels ? ,from Maryhill a mate of mine played with them & he thought Torbett was queer hawk even back then

This is the beginning of the end game where there will be no hiding place for that football cesspit Celtic FC / SNP for denying the victims justice by going for an inquiry to find out what and who covered this up / and if proven the it was covered up

Then they DID gain an sporting advantage by sponsorship deals that would never have gone to them

The sale of players who came through the youths who would never have stayed there

This is a horrendous crime on Scottish football that the SFA. UEFA. FIFA Must get involved in

And must impose the strictestest punishments to Celtic FC

The minimum being demoted there is no grey area here

Rangers FC must demand this, but we will do nothing.

It's getting harder for some people to cover this up or ignore it. Probably why some MSPs and 'journalists' are mentioning it now.

Where were they before?

Last edited:
That quote is from a solicitor, not Dornan. However, I suspect Dornan's intervention is an attempt at damage limitation for his beloved club. He only recently described those who expressed concerns about the goings on at CBC as 'bigots', yet now apparently his son is friends with some of the abuse victims, so he's clearly been aware of what went on for years. Why the sudden change in attitude? From hurling online abuse at those who spoke up for victims, to moral crusader in a matter of weeks. I for one, wouldn't trust the little runt an inch.
Precisely. If he has been a party to the information prior to now and not spoken up, then he should be sharing a shower with McCafferty.

Back