Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

First line of the article is:

A paedophile ring involving the most notorious abuser in British sporting history and a Celtic Boys Club coach is being investigated.

The article then quotes Patrick McGuire of Thompson’s solicitors, he states ‘it was one of our survivor client who were able to present the evidence of links between McCafferty and Bennell and McCafferty and Torbett’

There is clearly evidence of trips being organised in both directions, Bennell brings boys up to Scotland and McCafferty taking boys clubs trips to the greater Manchester area. I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward’

Mr McGuire said he expected that the report would present ‘clear and compelling evidence of a football paedophile ring operating in plain sight across the UK’ adding ‘McCafferty and Bennell were the two most prolific paedophiles that we know of in football circles’

The article continues on the inside pages

wow , its slowly but surely unravelling

I couldn't read that story on my PC (print too small)
When I look for that newspaper headline I find this...

gn895.png

Different from the one posted.
Is "The Times" regionalised?

I know this has been mentioned numerous times before but I have to just reiterate how amazed I am at the complete lack of any significant reporting about this in Scotland so far. I can only imagine the outrage and hysteria with which this would have been covered if it had been us instead of them. And to be fair, this is how a crime of this magnitude should be treated.

Just read it online says the investigation was put on hold due to ongoing cases they have proof of Bennel and McCafferty working together and sending teams to tournaments with each ither. Files have been sent to the English and Scottish FA they did ask Crewe and Celtic to comment but .... Well you can guess the rest

Here's a thing to consider. Was Brother Stein actually a victim or collateral damage in this sorry mess. Why do I say that? Well look at the dates. So he kicks Torbett out the club, doesn't inform the police, wrong, but at least removes Torbett. This is the one act (although incomplete) which we could agree was correct.

But, Torbett manages to find his way back in. How? Stein is no longer manager. How well was that handled. Offered a job selling coupons, but not on the board and not any position of power at CP. Unceremoniously removed in a way never in a million years befitting their greatest manager. If anything he was the one who was "literally booted out the door.'

I still think there may be an unholy alliance between Torbett, the Kellys and Whytes. Financial, maybe more and possibly involving gate money and blackmail. My opinion is, that for Torbett to get back in, after the 86 fiasco, someone high up must have rubber stamped it. They even waited for Jock to pass away before the Kangaroo court to pass its "judgement."

Brother Stein may well have known the whole story- and having never being one of "them" and after his disgraceful departure- was about to blow the lid on what is only now being revealed. In the preservation of self interest, he was kicked out of Celtic.

Big Jock did know, Celtic knew he knew and he was removed before everyone else knew. The Brother was too dangerous to the old board. Everything else since was covered up,

What's the latest cover up? Bleaching the internet and removing what could be incriminating dates.
Why are you calling him brother stein?
He should be called the peado harbourer.

Point scoring.

This was something the media 'pushed' a few years back accusing Rangers fans of, who were simply attempting to bring attention of the scandal to a 'wider audience'.

I was unfortunately in the company of your general poet bastard and he was bullshittin about kids with a lot of ability at the club, adding that Celtic are bringing a lot of good young boys through and working wonders.
My reply was more in anger at this dhimwit because he didn't have a fkn clue what players Celtic were bringing through.
I couldn't contain myself and said "Ha Celtic and kids?"
His immediate response was "What about Rangers?"

That is point scoring right there.

I let him know Rangers reported the matter to police then decided to abort the conversation right there, no point in discussing the matter further.
These cunts have no concern for the young kids abused at their club, none whatsoever.

These cunts have no concern for the young kids abused at their club, none whatsoever.

Coincidentally I just posted this thread.....

How much cash have they claimed they have in their war chest again? I'm certain Tommy the bigot taxi driver (once a regular caller on RC Radio) claimed on-air that it was £400m!

What will go through the celtc supporters mind when he starts to see the fees they are paying for their recruits this summer?

Will they present their usual 'outwardly extending facade' of hollow pride at their club like no other - or will they see it as their club spending money that should be kept aside for victims?

Sadly it won't be the latter, I just don't think 40 years of: destroying evidence, silencing countless victims and continuous denial will end overnight.

What will it take for them to recognise or acknowledge the crimes of their club?

Could be an interesting story in tomorrow's Times. This is all I've got:

D7NCneTXkAEzO3M.jpg:large

It's likely that the English FA are leading the charge on this from a football perspective. I don't think the SFA have any appetite to investigate Celtic but if the FA start to get involved then they will have no choice.

It does feel like the noose is beginning to tighten.

Sadly nothing is going to happen to them. The flood gates should have already opened with those that were abused willing to tell their stories. Hasn't happened. Nothing has happened to the clubs that Bennell was involved with, nothing will happen to those c*nts.

No worries mate, I get where you're coming from as I thought of that myself. However, doing so over four years isn't good business practice. Surely they'd need more some years and less so other years. Why buy the same amount of stock again when you may have half of it left? That's a cardinal sin (excuse the pun) for any business.

Another thing regarding buying wholesale, which is what you'd expect them to do of course. They'd surely go to manufacturers of the merchandise required to get the best price, hence get biggest profit margin on subsequent sales. Great going to TTC for trophies and other related merchandise, that makes sense, but why would you go to them for as much as £250,000 worth of it, every year, for four years? What could they supply them for that huge amount of money? All clothing would have to have been sourced from manufacturers of the garments, otherwise they'd be paying 'silly money' to get it from the paedo.

This was a payment to him, disguised within buying some merchandise.
How much had celtic spent in previous years. A deep police Forensic accounting investigation is needed.

Sadly nothing is going to happen to them. The flood gates should have already opened with those that were abused willing to tell their stories. Hasn't happened. Nothing has happened to the clubs that Bennell was involved with, nothing will happen to those c*nts.
I’m not sure mate. CFC tried to cover it up. That maybe the difference here. I think this may have a long way to go yet. I agree there seems to be no action but that’s down to the corruption within the SFA and the present Scottish government imo. The sooner the English FA are involved the better. I do believe this will become a full blown inquiry involving the trips to America also. Apparently there is a documentary maker already in the process of investigation also. It’s a disgrace the inquiry hasn’t been launched. I’ve said in previous posts that I do believe there are more victims still to come out but until that inquiry starts then they will remain silent. I just hope that it takes CFC down and ends their existence. If the Americans get involved and prove that there was abuse stateside then I think American lawyers will bury Celtic. My point is mate I think we need to be patient on this one. Frustrating as it is.

The filth will not settle out of court as that would be seen as an admission of guilt.
They’ll be given an assurance from high up that it’ll be ok to go to court as a hand picked judge will rule that they are a separate entity.

There’s already been a huge admission of guilt with their desperate attempt to rush in and have the boys club name changed. If they were confident they’d done nothing wrong and that they’d be cleared they wouldn’t have bothered their arse with that.

A “paedophile ring” involving the most notorious abuser in British sporting history and a Celtic Boys Club coach is being investigated.
The Scottish and English FAs are examining a “partnership” between Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boys coach, and Barry Bennell, who worked with young players at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra.
Last week McCafferty, 73, was jailed for abusing boys over a 24-year period. Bennell, 65, is serving a 30-year sentence for molesting youngsters on an “industrial scale”.
A source close to the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football said: “The partnership between McCafferty and Bennell is included in the investigation. There will be full disclosure.”
A final report from the review was delayed last year to avoid prejudicing criminal proceedings.
The Times understands that it will contain evidence that McCafferty took youngsters from Glasgow to tournaments in the northwest of England where they were introduced to Bennell. The information has been shared with the English FA.
Manchester City, which is carrying out an abuse investigation of its own, has established that Bennell took youngsters to tournaments in Ayrshire.
Thompsons Solicitors is convinced that McCafferty was part of an organised abuse network that involved Bennell and Jim Torbett, 71, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, who was jailed for abusing boys last November.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “It was our survivor clients who were able to present the evidence of links between McCafferty and Bennell, and McCafferty and Torbett.
“There is clear evidence of trips being organised in both directions: Bennell bringing boys up to Scotland and McCafferty taking boys’ clubs on trips to the Greater Manchester area. I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward.”
Mr McGuire said he expected that the report would present “clear and compelling evidence of a football paedophile ring operating in plain sight across the UK”, adding: “McCafferty and Bennell were the two most prolific and horrific paedophiles that we know of in football circles. Undoubtedly they were working together in some form or another. It makes you shudder. How many boys, how many young men will have been impacted by their evil activity?”
One victim said that McCafferty organised trips to northwest England. He told Sky News: “McCafferty said, ‘I am going to take you to see a friend of mine’ and we drove from Manchester to Crewe. It was Barry Bennell who we met, he introduced us to him.”
A Manchester City source said: “There is a Scottish link. Bennell used to take a team to tournaments in the Ayr area.” Bennell, a scout and coach, was convicted of 50 abuse charges between 1979 and 1991 and was described by police as one of the worst paedophiles in British criminal history.
Sentencing him, Judge Clement Goldstone, QC, branded him “sheer evil” and “the devil incarnate”.
Edinburgh high court was told that two of McCafferty’s victims died young after a life plagued by addiction and depression.
He was the fourth man with connections to Celtic Boys Club to be convicted for abusing children in recent months.
A spokesman for the English Independent Review into Child Sex Abuse Allegations in Football confirmed that it was considering matters raised by McCafferty’s conviction. Its final report was delayed last year to allow further examination of allegations relating to Bennell.
Police Scotland said: “Our investigation into McCafferty concluded with his sentencing.”
Celtic FC and Crewe Alexandra did not respond to a request for comment. The Glasgow club has expressed sympathy for the victims but insists that the boys’ club is separate and not its responsibility.
The key figures
Jim McCafferty, 73

The former Celtic kit man and Celtic Boys Club coach was jailed for six years and nine months last week after admitting 12 charges against young players over a 24-year period starting in 1972. He was also sentenced to three years and nine months in August 2018 for sexually abusing a teenage boy in Belfast.
Barry Bennell, 65
The former football coach, who worked at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, was sentenced last February to 30 years in prison for sex offences against junior players.
Jim Torbett, 71
The founder of the Celtic Boys Club was sentenced to six years last November for abusing three boys between 1986 and 1994. He was also jailed for two years in 1998 for molesting children between 1967 and 1974.
Frank Cairney, 83
The former coach of Celtic Boys Club under-16s team was jailed in February for four years. He abused eight boys while running a team in Lanarkshire. He joined Celtic Boys Club in 1971 after being asked to run the youth side by the manager Jock Stein.
Gerald King, 66
The former Celtic Boys Club chairman avoided jail in January despite being convicted of abusing four boys and a girl at a Glasgow primary school in the 1980s. He was found guilty of using lewd and libidinous practices towards his five victims between 1984 and 1989.

Celtic FC must compensate the victims of paedophiles who used their positions at Celtic Boys Club to prey on children, an SNP MSP whose son played for both teams has said.
James Dornan has written to Peter Lawwell, Celtic’s chief executive, asking for answers on how he intends to respond to the scandal.
Mr Dornan, who represents Glasgow Cathcart, said that he felt obliged to speak out because his son had played for Celtic Boys Club and the Celtic senior team in the 1980s.
“My son played for both the boys’ club and Celtic and there is no doubt at all in my mind that they are connected, he said. “I saw it first hand. They may not have been connected legally, but they were closely linked.

“These boys, now adults, had a desire to play for Celtic; that’s why they joined the boys club. The clubs owes these people some sort of recognition for what they went through.”
Mr Dornan believes that Celtic should follow the example set by Manchester City by apologising and offering compensation to victims who were sexually abused while in youth teams affiliated to the club.
He said: “This is a club that prides itself on doing the right thing. They must surely see that these individuals that played for Celtic Boys Club are part of the wider Celtic family.
“They should do what Manchester City did and make some money available to them, but more than that, they should make these people feel like they belong again.”
Steve Dornan, who was on Celtic’s books between 1988 and 1989, was not abused, but remains friends with individuals who were.
“I have written to ask what Celtic FC intend to do to support the victims of the Celtic Boys Clubs abuse scandal,” his father said. “I am expecting a response of some kind by the end of the week. If I don’t get that I’ll be releasing the letter I sent to him.”
The MSP spoke out after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former Celtic kitman and a Celtic Boys Club coach was jailed for six years and nine months last week after being convicted of molesting boys over a 24-year period. The prison sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, an 83-year-old former coach, were both jailed for sexually abusing young footballers. Some of the abuse took place in the dressing room at Celtic Park.
Gerald King, 66, former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl while he was employed as a primary school teacher, but was not jailed.
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the Boys Club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.
Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing abuse survivors, joined calls for Celtic to accept responsibility.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “My message to Celtic’s board of directors as individuals and to Mr Lawwell is ‘stop hiding behind lawyers, legal niceties and legal escape routes’. You are an extremely affluent club, you have the means, you have the ability, and you have the moral compulsion to do the right thing and set up a compensation scheme.”

'Mr Dornan, who represents Glasgow Cathcart, said that he felt obliged to speak out because his son had played for Celtic Boys Club and the Celtic senior team in the 1980s.'

You felt obliged to speak out just because your son played for CBC and the senior team? You're an MSP you piece of shit. You should be speaking out for all the kids effected by this. W@nker of a man.

Damm starting to crack
I have a cartoon image of the wee Dutch guy (Lawwell) standing at the dyke wall with his finger in the whole knowing the trickle will just get bigger and bigger and bigger

Steve Dornan, who was on Celtic’s books between 1988 and 1989, was not abused, but remains friends with individuals who were.

So was Steve Dornan aware of them being abused in 1988/89 or did he only become aware of them being abused recently. It must be the latter or surely he would have told his dad and either one of them would have contacted the police.

Hard not to be a cynic and see this as an MSP offering this organisation a solution that benefits both parties. He champions justice for the victims and ticks the good guy box , Celtic pay up and are seen as not requiring the law to enter proceedings to enforce compensation.

All that is then required is an air brush over 40 years of documented denials and everybody’s a winner. Well except a few hundred victims with ruined lives however Celtic and the SNP emerge as moral crusaders that’s the main thing.

'you have the moral compulsion to do the right thing and set up a compensation scheme'

who is Dornan trying to kid here with that utter drivel.
That quote is from a solicitor, not Dornan. However, I suspect Dornan's intervention is an attempt at damage limitation for his beloved club. He only recently described those who expressed concerns about the goings on at CBC as 'bigots', yet now apparently his son is friends with some of the abuse victims, so he's clearly been aware of what went on for years. Why the sudden change in attitude? From hurling online abuse at those who spoke up for victims, to moral crusader in a matter of weeks. I for one, wouldn't trust the little runt an inch.

That quote is from a solicitor, not Dornan. However, I suspect Dornan's intervention is an attempt at damage limitation for his beloved club. He only recently described those who expressed concerns about the goings on at CBC as 'bigots', yet now apparently his son is friends with some of the abuse victims, so he's clearly been aware of what went on for years. Why the sudden change in attitude? From hurling online abuse at those who spoke up for victims, to moral crusader in a matter of weeks. I for one, wouldn't trust the little runt an inch.
seen Dornans name at the top and couldnt be arsed reading it through but the bottom line caught my eye, just assumed it was him trying to be the 'crusader' as you say, like you I wouldn't trust him one iota.

Yep, all after a tweet asking Mark Daly to friend him so that he could DM him on twitter. I wonder what was said.

He already knows the answer from Peter. His 180 degree turn in a week, which by his own logic makes him a bigot, now tells us that both he and his son knew.

This is scripted and pre determined for modern, compassionate Celtic, founded to feed the poor, to save the day.

What won’t happen is full exposure and dot joining of the peado ring, further investigations into who else knew and may have committed crimes at Celtic (including protecting the good name of the club while turning blind a blind eye to child rape,) or those sleekit bastards facing justice.

Back