Celtic finances

Didn't need a Finance Guru to state what everyone has been saying for years.

Celtic had the opportunity to put themselves light years ahead of us for some time and have failed to take it.
Yeah by why did they fail to take it? They have control of the sfa,spfl,media, refs and still ended up like this.

They failed because guys like liewell are nowhere near as good as there fans and the media make him out to be.

Were already in a much better shape money wise and they know it.

They have a lot of wealthy fans so finances may be less of a problem. If we get to CL group stages, and spend wisely, we can have 2 or 3 years of success and growth.
Let's not forget, however, we were told it would take £70m/£100m to catch up the bheasts. A CEO at Sharkheid who allows the correct people to have control of their own departments could change things significantly. Lets not become Celtic and get too arrogant.
I dont think they have many wealthy fans .
I think they are tinkers that did well with champions league wedge and player transfers

Finance Guru: Rangers in line to become richest Scot club amid Desmond reveal – Exclusive​

By
Adam Williams speaking to Kieran Maguire
-
21st January 2021 at 4:00pm

Dermot Desmond and Celtic shareholders have given Rangers a helping hand to soon become Scotland’s richest club.

So says finance wiz and new Football Insider columnist Kieran Maguire, speaking after a week of PR gaffes from the Hoops hierarchy.
A widely criticised trip to Dubai and subsequent press conference meltdown from manager Neil Lennon came amid Rangers extending their yawning lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Celtic’s nine-year spell of dominance is collapsing, and so too is their financial advantage over Rangers.

Maguire believes that the Parkhead moneymen’s decision not to invest in the club during their footballing supremacy may have opened the window of opportunity just wide enough for Rangers to slip through.

He told Football Insider: “If the owner had put a little bit of money into the club, and he hasn’t put any money into the club for a long time now, Celtic could potentially have stretched the financial gap over their rivals to make it very, very difficult for Rangers to come back.

“They didn’t do that and now Gerrard’s side are clearly competitive and going to win the Scottish Premiership this year.
“I was on a radio show in 2018 and I said that Rangers just need one big season to eliminate the financial gap between themselves and Celtic.
“If Rangers win the Premiership and qualify for the group stages of the Champions League, that would not only be eliminated but I think Rangers could potentially overtake Celtic in terms of their ability to generate revenue.

“Although Europe is absolutely essential to that.”

Celtic’s revenue fell by 15.8% to £70.2million over the last financial year — a pre-tax profit of £100,000.
Rangers, by contrast, enjoyed an 11% upturn in revenue to £59m, although they posted a £15.9m loss.
The Light Blues are accelerating away from Celtic atop the Scottish Premiership, with the gap between the clubs now at 20 points.
In Europe, they have far outstripped their Glasgow rivals too, advancing to the first knockout round after Celtic finished bottom of their group

giphy.gif

I don't know why people think that court cases are going to hamper them have you seen the justice system in this country and for a matter of fact who governs it?
I agree. They will not be held properly to account in this nationalist cesspit.
If it was up to me they’d be shut down but in reality I reckon any claims would be £5 million and below. Time will tell I suppose.

So much nonsense about how much the abuse will cost them. Even at £100k per victim, there will be less than 150 victims, so £15m max.
It'll be more of a reputational damage, though it'll be glossed over up here.
They'll have to pay their own lawyers too, that could easily be £100,000 a case if it goes to trial and the claimant wins.

If Lennon isn't gone by early next week it's safe to say they don't have the money to punt him anytime soon.

They now face a somewhat similar problem to Rangers after Warburton and Pedro were shown the door A massive rebuilding job against a settled side who won the league by a distance while reducing overall costs.

They probably need about 10 new signings in the summer while trying to get about 5 to 10 out the door at the same time. They are also probably missing out an decent quality Bosman signings right now as well with no certainly who the manager will be next season.

Major maintenance due in the next decade on that monstrosity of a stand the Bunnet built. Maybe a whole new stand will be required before too long.

Very costly regardless

This is overlooked IMO.

Their ground is a shite-hole with a very limited shelf life.

Remember being in the stand above the old jungle for the LCF v Hearts. ( Gazza & Ally had their wee spat then a stiff drink at haltime lifted Gazza's spirit! )

It couldn't have been opened long ( mid 90's ? ) and the water was pissing in through the roof then.

Tickety tock MF's.:))

If we're lucky enough to qualify for the CL, it'll be a massive leap forward not only financially, but in enhancing our name on the European stage.
Yep, and the standard of player that we'll be able to attract will be ridiculous, compared to what we've seen the last decade. Big name players have always been attracted to Ibrox, but Gerrard wins the league and gets us to CL, top players & up-and-coming prospects will be desperate to join him and us.
CL qualification would take us to a completely different level on and off the pitch.

So much nonsense about how much the abuse will cost them. Even at £100k per victim, there will be less than 150 victims, so £15m max.
It'll be more of a reputational damage, though it'll be glossed over up here.
I get your point about the compensation payments being lower than would be expected, but some of these boys that were abused had promising football careers ahead of them. Unsure if that could increase the compensation level.

18M in the bank at June 2020. That’s gone. A 13M line of credit was opened in the same month.

No CL money, no EL earnings. No player sales, no match day hospitality. No signings in January, not hard to see why.

Celtic have the biggest cost base in the league by an absolute fucking mile, they’ll be making monumental eye watering losses each month. When Lawwell said they had been the most affected by the pandemic, this is what he meant. If their fans don’t renew in May, they have significant problems.

A perfect storm has wiped out a 10 year financial advantage.

If Gerrard can win a two legged tie to get us into the CL, it will be the greatest turnaround on and off the field any of us will have seen.
They actually believe that they have millions in the back and paying Lennons £1.5 million release clause is pennies to them.

It’s very clear to me that they are skint and panic is starting to set in. The players have similar body language to ours in 2012 before everything went public. The infighting and blame game has well and truly started and their biggest issue is that their fans aren’t as loyal as ours.

mid I am right with this admin is on the way very soon and they will have a huge points deduction at the start of next season as a bare minimum although I would love to see them go to the west of Scotland league or preferably cease to exist.

Never wanted them to die in the 90’s due to the rivalry but this lot deserve all they get for the way that they have corrupted Scottish football.

This is overlooked IMO.

Their ground is a shite-hole with a very limited shelf life.

Remember being in the stand above the old jungle for the LCF v Hearts. ( Gazza & Ally had their wee spat then a stiff drink at haltime lifted Gazza's spirit! )

It couldn't have been opened long ( mid 90's ? ) and the water was pissing in through the roof then.

Tickety tock MF's.:))

Could that be why Haughey bought Hampden?

This tilt at the CL is absolutely massive.

I mean, it isn't a disaster by any means if we don't, we're back and there isn't anything they can do about that. But if we qualified for the CL groups it could put us on a path of sustained dominance for years to come. Without it we're still the better team, no question, but with it we could put ourselves out of sight for a good few years.
With 2 teams qualifying from Scotland for next seasons CL, 1st spot goes into the CL qualifiers via the champions route. I take it that means 2nd will have to face the non champions qualifiers from the bigger leagues?

Should we qualify and the mentally challengeds fall before the group stage we pocket all the cash, is this correct?

Could that be why Haughey bought Hampden?
The "Lord" moves in mysterious ways mate!!
Following a £5million agreement with Queen's Park the stadium will remain as Scotland's national home.

Haughey spoke with Jim White this morning on talkSPORT about his investment.

And after hearing Scott Brown had slammed Hampden's atmosphere - he joked he'd be feeling even worse when he learned his testimonial money was part of the cash he put up for the ground.

Hampden will remain Scotland's home
Hampden will remain Scotland's homeCredit: Keith Campbell - The Sun Glasgow

'PROUD NATION' Simon Jordan says SFA are 'bloody lucky' to have two white knights bail them out

He said: “I hear that Scott Brown is not happy. He will be even worse this morning when I tell him I gave his testimonial money towards the £2.5m.

"I am disappointed that Scott thinks that – especially with all the great days he’s had there.

"But I am sure for the players as well we can make the atmosphere a bit better."

I will wait and see if their demise is as great as everyone thinks.

I think if they have it they will invest heavily and they are going to have to given how many players they need, to gain automatic entry into the CL In 2022/23

however if we an get into the CL next season it will give us a big advantage but we will also need a few players next season to

Peter Lawwell said years ago that Covid FC needed to be in the Champions League group stages 3 seasons out of 5. This was long before they had operating expenses of £80m.

They made a profit last financial year of £100k, despite selling Tierney for £25m. Cash in the bank fell by approx £10m despite Lawwell claiming they were paid in full in one go.

Several big money transfers in with no sales and very little in the way of prize money in the Europa League will leave them in a very perilous position without any sales happening in the next 10 days
or so. I'd fully expect any outgoing players to be for greatly reduced fees as there won't be many transfers at the levels we have been accustomed to recently.

We are all aware of court cases that, should the victim of historic CSA finally get some the sort of justice they deserve, are likely to cost them millions.

Remedial work needs to be done on their cesspit which will run to a tidy sum.

The last few seasons have been difficult and a struggle for Rangers. We couldn't have picked a better time to restart winning the title given the perfect storm hitting them.
I said on another thread, Covid is to their finances what the big tax case was to ours.

I will wait and see if their demise is as great as everyone thinks.

I think if they have it they will invest heavily and they are going to have to given how many players they need, to gain automatic entry into the CL In 2022/23

however if we an get into the CL next season it will give us a big advantage but we will also need a few players next season to
They don't have anything to spend, they cant even afford to run their U18s.

There are countless reasons we could turn the tables financially and while qualifying for the CL is a big part of it, it’s not the only variable.

- Rangers have business interruption insurance. Celtic don’t.
- Their fans are openly talking about not renewing their season tickets already. That won’t happen for Rangers. Rangers could bump the price after this year many would sign up blindly.
- They have a number of key components leaving or running their contracts down. They will all need replaced and they might not recoup the funds they hoped for when they sell.
- They have a number of court cases looming.
- I would suspect they had a bumper year on merchandise last year with Adidas. Not sure losing ‘the ten’ will see another repeat of that.
- They are going to have to sack Lennon eventually and pay him to go. He’s clearly hanging about for severance pay.
- Any new manager may require a compensation payment to their current club depending on who they target.
- We have a winnable tie in Europe so could conceivably take yet more money this year having already raked in more than them.
- And finally if we qualify for the CL via the champions path we can pour rocket fuel on our financial position.

On the plus side for their finance bods, they won’t have to pay out any league bonuses or additional ten in a row bonuses so every cloud...
I wonder how much revenue from sponsors was related to them winning Terry Munro.
My heart bleeds for Peter missing out on a bumper bonus.

They underestimated our chairman and board of directors, they completely underestimated how much they would persist with restoring us. I think they thought we would be at the mercy of the Spivs for a decade as well. Hence the penny pinching and hiring of sub par managers such as Lennon and Delia during those times. King and Co had some ups and downs initially but once they got things going, it was a question of when and not if, for us.

Let's face it, the 2 and half seasons under Rodgers amounted to nothing more than a hubristic show of force by them. Like a dictator showing off the might of their ageing military by parading them regularly. Only need to look at their European misadventures during that time, to see it wasn't cut out for much else. They never had a plan in place for when Rodgers eventually left. They haven't built anything or even laid the groundwork for something since he left them high and dry. That was near enough 2 years ago. This is all on them. They blew it and it seems like it's going to cost them quite a bit more than just 10iar.

If admin was a possibility then it would be more likely if they get more than 10 points clear in 2nd spot.

Struggling Celtic have vanished from the top 100 clubs in a table of the best sides in world football.
FiveThirtyEight's global club soccer rankings keeps tabs on 637 teams from across the globe, with Manchester City sitting top of the tree for now based on a series of stats and analytics including expected goals for and against, strength of league and performance in the transfer market..
The table is updated after every game and after drawing 2-2 with Livingston on Wednesday night Neil Lennon's side have plummeted a whopping 20 places to 109th spot since last week, being overtaken by the likes of Feyenoord, Bologna and Bordeaux.

It's called Karma. See when Peter L smugly smiled once he had concocted the vote charade with Doncaster he probably gave himself a wee pat on the back for the lucky escape due to their SPFL placemen alerting them to the Dundee vote.
Well what goes around comes around Bears. There will be no fu&£ given here if they have put themselves into a tail spin. As for Dundee I hope the gates are padlocked by the end of the year. I feel sorry for their fans but what they did was unforgivable.

They're not going to be going into admin after splashing out on a jolly to Dubai.
I agree though, financially they're up against it with the rebuild job they have. DD might have to put his hands in his pockets.
Remember, this is a man who owns the same percentage in celtc as he does in a Latvian bank found guilty of money laundering.

We need to learn from their mistakes and not %^*& around in the summer windows, have every faith we will do that thankfully.

They were way ahead of us financially and in footballing terms and they had one of the top British managers. They replaced him with a guy who had failed at Hibs and Bolton. In the meantime Gerrard has continued to improve and may become a top manager In the EPL, hopefully after a few more years success at Ibrox.
Remember all the rookie criticisms ? I think he'll work out like Ferguson at Manure. Given the time he needed to adjust and get to the top.

How much is Desmond worth? I assume his business endeavours, regardless of how shady they are will be struggling.

Can’t imagine he’ll have much spare capital to pump into this failing business.
Its a vanity project. They made money for a while and thought it would simply continue. Might not be so keen when they see it become a bottomless pit.

Aye, very good, but just how astute and in-the-know is this guy, not to even mention the court cases that will most probably result in significant pay-outs by the mentally challengeds.
Listen to his weekly podcasts and you’ll see how astute he is, has also written a book on U.K. football finance. Probably the most informed voice in football finance in the U.K.

Is the Celtic wage bill still touching 60 million? I remember that being reported in 2019. I think we will likely we be around the 30 million mark as things stand today.

Let's face it, the 2 and half seasons under Rodgers amounted to nothing more than a hubristic show of force by them. Like a dictator showing off the might of their ageing military by parading them regularly. Only need to look at their European misadventures during that time, to see it wasn't cut out for much else. They never had a plan in place for when Rodgers eventually left. They haven't built anything or even laid the groundwork for something since he left them high and dry. That was near enough 2 years ago. This is all on them. They blew it and it seems like it's going to cost them quite a bit more than just 10iar.

I don't know if Rodgers never left a foundation or he did but Lennon just ignored it. Either way, I can't believe how badly Celtic have mismanaged this. They have been consumed by arrogance and complacency. It's glorious.

SG has overhauled us and along with the Board have built a basis for us to grow.

Where are these rumours about admin coming from

Absolutely nowhere mate. Made up by dreamers earlier in this thread and now taking a life of its own. They'll be nowhere near it.

Unfortunately Desmond has a habit of putting his hand in his pocket when it goes Pete tong over there let's hope this isn't the case this time.

The shitpit they call home, is due it's mid-life up grade within the next year or so, the number of banners on display round the outside of the tin shed is there for more than display, it is there to cover up a multitude of faults, as they dont seem to have spent to much on the upkeep on the place over the piece, so after all that we have spoken about we will add this to the list of to do things they must spend money on.

I'm sure I read somewhere that celtic are burning through their cash pile at a frightening rate, about 2 million per month

As much as I enjoy the fact we are going in the right direction financialy, let's not get carried away.

The reason they have had to down size, which has ultimately meant they have not been able to sustain their position was because they thought they would have champions league money every second season.

Tierney sale covered it one year, but they are now at the bottom of the barrel.

For us, if we make champions league, we have to remember, there are a lot people who will want money back. So we need to stick with growing steady, nothing crazy.

What type of billionaire is he? is he these types?

This type of billionaire

Back