Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

GWVbPpa.jpg

Rs2pWqf.jpg

PCWDhgu.jpg
My first Rangers v Celtic game.

Somerset Park was a really hard place to visit in the early 70s.

I remember being in a huge crowd there with fans on the track around the pitch and we lost 3-0.

Think it might have been 1975 and we ended up with the treble. Crowd must have been close to this record one. Might be getting my Somerset Park visits mixed up, my memory has former Ranger George McLean playing for them.

If it's the game Johnny Doyle ran riot against a debutant Ally Dawson, then I've heard all about that game, as my old man got lifted at it.

His mates still remind him about his walk of shame every time we go to back to Somerset Park.

Not surprisingly, my old dad never mentions it and keeps the head down.
:))

Is this against Rangers? I'm struggling to recognize any of the tims opposing players, it also looks like they are wearing white socks?
McNeill standing in the middle of the netting between the post and the stanchion?

Also looks like Fat Boab is the referee, so possibly the early 60s?

The yahoo on the extreme left with the leg up, obscuring a Ranger. Possibly Baxter?

It's hard to pinpoint down any Ranger here.
I've just looked at it again and | get what you are saying. But other than possibly the opponent at the post with the yahoo goalie, it's impossible to determine what socks are bing worn here.

Where's that magnifying glass when you need it.
The plot thickens.

I doubt it is Rangers, there are white cuffs on the shirts, we never had white trim on the sleeve,
did we?

If it's the game Johnny Doyle ran riot against a debutant Ally Dawson, then I've heard all about that game, as my old man got lifted at it.

His mates still remind him about his walk of shame every time we go to back to Somerset Park.

I remember that game mate,great story.

Does MearnsUnionist Snr. know that @MearnsUnionist Jnr. has blabbed and we all know his story now?

Groundsmen trying to clear the field before the quarter final tie of the European Cup at Ibrox against Cologne. Game went ahead and finished 1-1
I’m sure a squad of fans cleared the snow on the day of the game.

It was televised live and the live feed was interrupted by a picture of Christ the Redeemer statue prompting a tirade of abusive phone calls to STV.

I’m sure a squad of fans cleared the snow on the day of the game.

It was televised live and the live feed was interrupted by a picture of Christ the Redeemer statue prompting a tirade of abusive phone calls to STV.
I think they brought in local school kids to help clear the snow also. That 24 hour delay was a real let down for fans and players alike I guess we’ll never know if it had any effect on our performance but a real ‘what if’ moment.

Groundsmen trying to clear the field before the quarter final tie of the European Cup at Ibrox against Cologne. Game went ahead and finished 1-1
Game got postponed from the Wednesday to the Thursday. With the call-off coming fairly late on the Wednesday. I drove up through the snow from near York and found out the game had been postponed when I was at Abington. Had to turn around and drive back to York as I didn’t have enough leave to cover taking the Thursday off.

Was that Mo Johnston's debut? Friendly game .
I'm sure he played that day, couldn't tell you if it was his debut!! Think it was testimonial/friendly!! Remember we won 1-3!! Was gutted I just missed my hero Super, was already on the team bus!! :oops:

I'm sure he played that day, couldn't tell you if it was his debut!! Think it was testimonial/friendly!! Remember we won 1-3!! Was gutted I just missed my hero Super, was already on the team bus!! :oops:
His debut game was a friendly v Airdrie at Broomfield. 12 thousand all ticket game.
A number of fans not happy that day!

Stewart blocks MacLeod shot but McStay followed up to level at 1-1

I was sick that day. We played them off the park for an hour and hit the bar at 2-1 (the ball came down and crossed the line but it wasn't given) then they equalised and Greig changed the tactics to hold for a draw. They then took over for the last 20 minutes but we looked to have done enough only for them to score in the last minute. I've rarely been as angry with a manager changing tactics as I was that day. Four days later we lost 5-0 in Cologne and the season just disintegrated after a good start, though draws were killing us.

Rangers got a team of us from Govan High to help clear the park that day I unfortunately missed out as we got banned playing for the football team & where not allowed to represent the shool at anything by order of headmaster Mr Lennie .

First game was 126,599, Wednesday night replay 4 days later 98,202.
Were there reports of any issues with crowd crushing after these games. I had been at 1964 final we won 3-1 v Dundee but don't remember it much but looked it up and 120,00!! It's amazing young kids at these games. I do remember my da and others putting arms round the kids on way out of these big games and the shouts - watch there's a wean here!! shuffling your feet as you coudn't get a proper stride in. It just seemed that's the way it is if you want big crowds. We all know it wasn't and had to change.

Back