Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Was a 0-0 draw. Dunfermline beat us 3-1 in the April fixture at East End Park.
Lost 3-2 (or was that the result on a Christmas Day fixture)?
EDIT : we lost 3-2 on 25 December 1965 at Ibrox against Dunfermline.
Dunfermline were very much our bogey side between 64-67.
The year after they beat us 3-2 at Ibrox on Christmas day 1965,
they beat us 3-2 at East End Park on December 3rd 1966.
From that point on, Rangers would suffer only ONE defeat in the League in the entire Calendar Year of 1967, and that solitary defeat came at Ibrox on April 1st in a 0-1 loss to Dunfermline.
In Scot Symon's last 40 League Games as Manager, those were the only 2 defeats we suffered.
Symon was sacked 8 games into the 67-68 campaign, following a 0-0 draw with Dunfermline at Ibrox, whilst we sat Top of the League, undefeated, having recently battered the European Champions.

Dunfermline were very much our bogey side between 64-67.
The year after they beat us 3-2 at Ibrox on Christmas day 1965,
they beat us 3-2 at East End Park on December 3rd 1966.
From that point on, Rangers would suffer only ONE defeat in the League in the entire Calendar Year of 1967, and that solitary defeat came at Ibrox on April 1st in a 0-1 loss to Dunfermline.
In Scot Symon's last 40 League Games as Manager, those were the only 2 defeats we suffered.
Symon was sacked 8 games into the 67-68 campaign, following a 0-0 draw with Dunfermline at Ibrox, whilst we sat Top of the League, undefeated, having recently battered the European Champions.
That particular day the atmosphere became toxic among the fans as we struggled to a draw. I was shocked and saddened when he was sacked.

The supporters were split with many hyper critical of Symon and also John Lawrence and after Davie White's arrival from Clyde the rancour still festered on.

Margaret Thatcher with Rangers players at Ibrox 1990

I'm trying to name them all L to R.

Back Row, Munro, Spackman, Brown, Ferguson, Don't know, Dodds, Walters, Tom Cowan??, Robertson, Durrant, McCoist, Johnston.

Front Row, L to R, Woods, Nisbet, Steven, Butcher, Ginsburg.

Need help with don't know on the back row and confirmation or otherwise on Cowan.

Last edited:
FadusUeWAAA0QHX

That particular day the atmosphere became toxic among the fans as we struggled to a draw. I was shocked and saddened when he was sacked.

The supporters were split with many hyper critical of Symon and also John Lawrence and after Davie White's arrival from Clyde the rancour still festered on.
I was at the game, though too young to remember what went on.
Reading some of the reports from that day, Symon had opted to drop our top goalscorer Andy Penman (for Bobby Watson) for the first time, which was a bit of a surprise.
Willie Johnston played on the Right Wing in place of the injured Henderson, with Willoughby at Inside Left.
Apparently, Rangers by all accounts dominated, and created several excellent scoring chances, but missed all of the them.
A frustrated Symon opted to bring on Penman for Willoughby in the second half, which seemed to anger the crowd, as Willoughby appeared to be the only one of our front five that was having a good game.

I guess we have always been a hard crowd to please, given that we were top of the League, undefeated, and had already skelped the filth at Ibrox.

We actually went 54 League games between early Dec 1966, and late April 1968, suffering only one defeat in that time, which is seriously impressive, but the success that mob across the city were having, only compounded to our misery.

Back