Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Davie White's record v them:

2nd January 1968 a 2-2 draw at the piggery (League)
10th August 1968 a 0-2 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup)
24th August 1968 a 0-1 defeat at the piggery (League Cup)
14th September 1968 a 4-2 win at the piggery (League)
2nd January 1969 a 1-0 win at Ibrox (League)
11th April 1969 a 4-3 win at the piggery (Glasgow Cup SF)
26th April 1969 a 0-4 defeat at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final)
13th August 1969 a 2-1 win at Ibrox (League Cup)
20th August 1969 a 0-1 defeat at the piggery (League Cup)
20th September 1969 a 0-1 defeat at Ibrox (League)

P10 W4 D1 L5

Willie Waddell's record v them:

3rd January 1970 a 0-0 draw at the piggery (League)
21st February 1970 a 1-3 defeat at the piggery (Scottish Cup QF)
10th August 1970 a 1-3 defeat at Hampden (Glasgow Cup Final)
12th September 1970 a 0-2 defeat at the piggery (League)
24th October 1970 a 1-0 win at Hampden (League Cup Final)
2nd January 1971 a 1-1 draw at Ibrox (League)
8th May 1971 a 1-1 draw at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final)
12th May 1971 a 1-2 defeat at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final replay)
14th August 1971 a 0-2 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup) - this was techinically a home game for the scum
28th August 1971 a 0-3 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup)
11th September 1971 a 2-3 defeat at Ibrox (League)
3rd January 1972 a 1-2 defeat at the piggery (League)

P12 W1 D3 L8

It's pretty clear that Davie White's record was better. We did start to win cups again under Willie Waddell but the league record was pretty deplorable in both his full seasons in charge. The Cup-Winners Cup was ample compensation mind!

Thanks for that mate and very interesting that White only suffered one league defeat against them in his time as manager.

Reactions: ao2
We went 3 years without a defeat against them in the league, Sep 1966 to Sep 1969. It was other games where be blew it sadly.

Yep mate, lack of consistency as you and @Alex Venters have rightly pointed out.

We clearly had a very talented team then, especially considering the mentally challengeds look on Stein's team of that era being their greatest ever.

24th October 1970

27zwy09.jpg

iqzf5u.jpg

154jbbp.jpg

2lqk4w.jpg
Isn’t colour pic at the top from 1971 Scottish Cup Final ?, Dj came on as a sub to score the equaliser, I’m sure that a 12 on his back

Yep mate, lack of consistency as you and @Alex Venters have rightly pointed out.

We clearly had a very talented team then, especially considering the mentally challengeds look on Stein's team of that era being their greatest ever.

That's the thing that's always got to me. I would accept that was the best team they've ever had. But I don't accept it's the best Scottish team ever. No one would claim the Rangers teams of that era were the best in our history yet they ran them close on many occasions and could have won a good few of the trophies they eventually got. For me the best Scottish team ever is the Rangers team of the 30s or possibly our team of the early 60s. It's not something that could ever be proven but I think it was Jim Baxter who claimed the 1960-1964 Rangers were better than their European Cup team and we just lacked a manager with the tactical knowledge of BJ who Knew, and that's not meant as a sleight at Scot Symon. He was an old school manager in a modern game.

Isn’t colour pic at the top from 1971 Scottish Cup Final ?, Dj came on as a sub to score the equaliser, I’m sure that a 12 on his back

Looks like it doesn't it? It also looks like Tom Wharton as the ref and was in charge in 1971.

That's the thing that's always got to me. I would accept that was the best team they've ever had. But I don't accept it's the best Scottish team ever. No one would claim the Rangers teams of that era were the best in our history yet they ran them close on many occasions and could have won a good few of the trophies they eventually got. For me the best Scottish team ever is the Rangers team of the 30s or possibly our team of the early 60s. It's not something that could ever be proven but I think it was Jim Baxter who claimed the 1960-1964 Rangers were better than their European Cup team and we just lacked a manager with the tactical knowledge of BJ who Knew, and that's not meant as a sleight at Scot Symon. He was an old school manager in a modern game.

Yeah, my late grandpa used to tell me the early 1960s Gers team were an outstanding side, but Symon lacked the modern tactical knowledge of the top continental coaches.

We were still playing the old formation and they were picking us off with the new 4-2-4.

Our players were every bit as good as most top European clubs, but the formation was killing us.

Yeah, my late grandpa used to tell me the early 1960s Gers team were an outstanding side, but Symon lacked the modern tactical knowledge of the top continental coaches.

We were still playing the old formation and they were picking us off with the new 4-2-4.

Our players were every bit as good as most top European clubs, but the formation was killing us.

Apparently he treated matches against top European ties as if they were ordinary league games. He was asked would Rangers like to be one day referred to as the Real Madrid of Scotland and he replied maybe one day Real would be regarded as the Rangers of Spain. I like the sentiment but it was head in the sand stuff. The only time he did a real discussion on the opposition before a European game it was against Spurs, and it consisted of him running through their team saying "great player", "some player", "can turn on a sixpence" etc and basically we were fucked before we kicked a ball. Of course in the early 60s there were some great teams in Europe - Real, Inter and AC Milan, Benfica and Spurs for instance, so we really were up against some cracking opponents.

Apparently he treated matches against top European ties as if they were ordinary league games. He was asked would Rangers like to be one day referred to as the Real Madrid of Scotland and he replied maybe one day Real would be regarded as the Rangers of Spain. I like the sentiment but it was head in the sand stuff. The only time he did a real discussion on the opposition before a European game it was against Spurs, and it consisted of him running through their team saying "great player", "some player", "can turn on a sixpence" etc and basically we were fucked before we kicked a ball. Of course in the early 60s there were some great teams in Europe - Real, Inter and AC Milan, Benfica and Spurs for instance, so we really were up against some cracking opponents.

Was it Bill Nicholson that was at Spurs then?

I remember reading one of his players, Jimmy Greaves possibly, saying that although he was old school standards wise, he was a very modern tactician.

He possibly had the measure of Symon tactically mate.

Baxter said in an interview that the boys at the back won it and gave it to him and Ian (McMillan) and they gave it to the boys up front. It was simple stuff.

Rangers 4-0 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 14th April 1928. Just as famous as Davie Meiklejohn's penalty and one of the most important saves in Rangers history, Tom Hamilton turns away this pile-driver from Connolly and keeps the score at 0-0 in the first-half when Celtic had the wind and the pressure in their favour:

dvpzwj.jpg

I remember this picture from the book my dad gave me when I was a nipper, Rangers The New Era by William Allison.
Must have read that book 50 times before I was at secondary school.

I remember this picture from the book my dad gave me when I was a nipper, Rangers The New Era by William Allison.
Must have read that book 50 times before I was at secondary school.

That's the very book I scanned it from :)

Was it Bill Nicholson that was at Spurs then?

I remember reading one of his players, Jimmy Greaves possibly, saying that although he was old school standards wise, he was a very modern tactician.

He possibly had the measure of Symon tactically mate.

Yes, Bill Nicholson was their manager. He's rarely mentioned now as one of the great managers but back then he was up there with Busby and Shankly in England.

Rangers 1-1 Bayern Munich, Fairs Cup, 30th September 1970. An infamous incident at Ibrox as the Swiss referee seems to indicate an indirect free-kick to the Germans and John Greig passes on his decision to his team-mates. Gerd Muller scored direct from the kick and the ref amazingly allowed it and Gers were out, despite equalising a minute or two later. Revenge would be sweet a little over 18 months later!:

258m3id.jpg

Rangers 2-0 Bayern Munich, Cup-Winners Cup SF, 19th April 1972. They say an early goal settles the nerves in a semi-final and you could hardly have asked for a better start than this as Sandy Jardine's shot (he's far right) soars past Maier in the German's goal, much to Tommy McLean's approval. A little over a minute had gone!:

n37onr.jpg

Rangers 2-0 Bayern Munich, Cup-Winners Cup SF, 19th April 1972. They say an early goal settles the nerves in a semi-final and you could hardly have asked for a better start than this as Sandy Jardine's shot (he's far right) soars past Maier in the German's goal, much to Tommy McLean's approval. A little over a minute had gone!:

n37onr.jpg

I was there but too young to remember this... My dad was unhappy when the teams came out and we had changed to blue shorts. Why did we do that?

There have been European games before and since that the opposition wore white shorts and so did we.

More shots from the Rangers v Bayern Munich Cup-Winners Cup SF at Ibrox, 19th April 1972. Best Scottish result in Europe? It is for me. Six of these Bayern players would play in the West German team that beat England 3-1 at Wembley a week later and then go on to win the European Championships 2 months later and the World Cup 2 years after that. Add on Bayern winning the European Cup with much the same team three years in a row (1974-1976) and surely this has to be the greatest?:

2qmzu3n.jpg

925s.jpg

I was there but too young to remember this... My dad was unhappy when the teams came out and we had changed to blue shorts. Why did we do that?

There have been European games before and since that the opposition wore white shorts and so did we.

I don't know the reason we did it for this game but I quite like it when we play in all blue.

Rangers 1-0 Stade Rennes, Cup-Winners Cup, 28th September 1971. Alex MacDonald secures a first round win and Gers start the campaign in Europe that would ultimately end with success in Barcelona 8 months later:

2gv7ehs.jpg

ao2... your mission if you care to accept it.

My first ever Rangers game was early August 1968 in a pre season friendly v Arsenal.
It ended 2-2. I have a picture of the match programme but have no pictures of the game itself. If anyone out there could post a picture from that game it has to be you!

My first ever Rangers game was early August 1968 in a pre season friendly v Arsenal.
It ended 2-2. I have a picture of the match programme but have no pictures of the game itself. If anyone out there could post a picture from that game it has to be you!

The only one I think I have is the Centenary programme from 1973 that has a picture of Willie Johnston scoring in that earlier 1968 match on the cover. I guess you have that? It's not a great quality picture to be honest but if you want it I can scan that one?

The only one I think I have is the Centenary programme from 1973 that has a picture of Willie Johnston scoring in that earlier 1968 match on the cover. I guess you have that? It's not a great quality picture to be honest but if you want it I can scan that one?

I thought the scorers in the game were Penman and Greig! That's what I have told everyone for 50 years. Blame the fact I was less than 5 years old.

I thought the scorers in the game were Penman and Greig! That's what I have told everyone for 50 years. Blame the fact I was less than 5 years old.

No, it's my memory that's fading lol! I've just checked that programme and it is Penman that's scoring but he's not in the photo, it's Willie Johnston. I'll scan it now. I have another photo from the match of Colin Jackson being treated for an injury but that's as much as I have I'm afraid :(

No, it's my memory that's fading lol! I've just checked that programme and it is Penman that's scoring but he's not in the photo, it's Willie Johnston. I'll scan it now. I have another photo from the match of Colin Jackson being treated for an injury but that's as much as I have I'm afraid :(

2 more pictures than I have seen so far!

Much appreciated.

Here you go mate - Rangers 2-2 Arsenal, 3rd August 1968. Andy Penman (not Willie Johnston lol) scores the second and Colin Jackson is treated by trainer Davie Kinnear for what looks like a nasty nose injury. I've scanned the goal in b/w as the original is difficult to make out in detail.

I think this was the last time we wore the famous 60s v-neck top, changing to the crew-neck one for the following week's match with the scum in the League Cup:

25uo9ad.jpg

j11vzs.jpg

Thanks... and that wee gem of information about the v neck has been filed away for future use.

Aye, you were there to give that classic top a good send-off! For me it's still THE Rangers shirt.

First strip I had, my mum still got an old colour photo of me posing proudly in it.
Apparently I got a number 8 sewed on the back. Must have wanted to be Andy Penman.

First strip I had, my mum still got an old colour photo of me posing proudly in it.
Apparently I got a number 8 sewed on the back. Must have wanted to be Andy Penman.

My first was the crew-neck that followed, c.1971 or so. Not a bad one to have either :)

We've done this a few times in Europe. No idea why.

Back