Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-2 Celtic, Glasgow Cup Final, 10th May 1975. The cup was shared following the draw, a match watched by 70,000 (100,000 tickets were sold but bad weather cut the attendance). There's not many spaces in the Rangers end, unlike the other!:

JLHIelm.jpg
I was in the north enclosure that day, just about in line with Sandy Jardine's back pass that led to their opener.

In the morning our school team (Grange) won a five-a-sides tournament at Simshill and apart from a medal won a shiney, new 50p because it was part of 'Glasgow 800' celebrations. We got a mug as well, but can't remember if that was part of the morning's haul or we got that in school.

I was in the north enclosure that day, just about in line with Sandy Jardine's back pass that led to their opener.

In the morning our school team (Grange) won a five-a-sides tournament at Simshill and apart from a medal won a shiney, new 50p because it was part of 'Glasgow 800' celebrations. We got a mug as well, but can't remember if that was part of the morning's haul or we got that in school.
can confirm the mug wasn't part of your tournament win gub,every school child received a mug, a brown/khaki coloured mug with the Glasgow 800 crest on it i recall, on your point about Sandy Jardine"s passback, i dont think that shower ever got an easier goal,laid squarely on a plate for wilson

can confirm the mug wasn't part of your tournament win gub,every school child received a mug, a brown/khaki coloured mug with the Glasgow 800 crest on it i recall, on your point about Sandy Jardine"s passback, i dont think that shower ever got an easier goal,laid squarely on a plate for wilson
Yup, I remember the mug well. Not as imprinted on the mind as that passback. Probably because Sandy didn't make too many mistakes that season. POTY I'm sure.

Rangers 1-1 Hibernian, 28th February 1987. I was at this game but have no memory of the fire in the Main Stand (a flare?)!

My memories of this game are of Alan Rough playing out of his skin for them (as he often did against Rangers, not so against the scum) but us still going top that day as they lost 4-1 at Dens Park after being ahead at half-time. We never lost the lead the rest of the season and won the league for the first time in 9 years:

1mRpGqF.jpg
The papers that morning linked us with Ray Houghton, Glasgow born but played for Ireland.
All game there were 2 songs sung.

Houghton GTF
And It's magic you know, Rangers and Catholics don't go.

Different days!

Was he the Scotland manager by that time?
I couldn't say for sure. Part of me thinks he might still have officially been a Ranger when he took over the Scotland job. Which means he still might have been at Ibrox after the 60 final but didn't play for the first team again.

I'm pretty sure he was in charge at Wembley a year later. But either way, I wouldn't expect him to be so close to Eric Caldow as the club came out of Hampden in 62?

I'm sure Mo or DH will be along at some point to set the record straight.

It was Bobby McKean set off mate, and Greig's cracker was in the League Cup game the following August:

Alex Miller did score from distance in the March game though so I think you're mixing the two games into one, easily done when you think they were 47 years ago! Where has the time gone?!
Where indeed!

Reactions: ao2

Wow. I remember the old Glasgow 800 years celebration mugs!!!
Ah, memories indeed sir…

Back