Copa Libertadores 2018

Did they put charter flights on for fans?

Did not expect that many fans of both clubs being outside argentina

Obviously argentines will live in spain and europe just interested to know

No charters laid on that I heard. Few thousand travelled over for each side for the game.

Equivalent of us playing the tims in Johannesburg.

There were individual flights for each group of fans. More will have travelled on normal scheduled flights, though.

I really enjoyed that game.

Not gonna lie and say I knew much about either team so was good to sit and enjoy a game where I don’t have a leaning towards any team.

Over the course of the build up, the two legs and at different points in the game I was supporting both teams. I wanted Boca Juniors to get the equaliser with 9 men as much as I wanted River Plate to win at the start of the game. This could be the start of a growing affinity for the game down there.

The amount of fouls in the second half of extra time that the ref didn’t give

It was like he was just wanting them to play until someone scored again

Various stories online today about fans interviewed at the stadium being given a choice of continuing employment or travelling over to the game and you know who the winner was.

Think it was a very expensive trip for some of them but kudos to those who made it, if it was us in a similar position I'd do everything in my power to be there as well.

Please explain?

For entirely personal preference I wanted River to win, but feck all down to imposing some kind of spurious "Old Firm" values on to the respective clubs. As The Donald would no doubt say, "so sad, so sad, so bigly sad".

I remember hearing that River drew their fans more from the working and middle classes, whereas Boca drew their fans from the Argentinian equivalent of the Pale outside Dublin. LOL

Of course, I’ve since been educated as to that being utter bollox. Hahah. So, I’ll settle for River simply because I have two Argentinian friends who both support River. That’ll do me :)

Fantastic game of football, thought Boca had it in the 1st half.

Quintero changed the game.

Such a 'pity' River are losing Martinez to the MLS, he is far better than that league.

Absolutely delighted that River won.

Fantastic game of football, thought Boca had it in the 1st half.

Quintero changed the game.

Such a 'pity' River are losing Martinez to the MLS, he is far better than that league.

Absolutely delighted that River won.

Glad you enjoyed it, mate. Worth tuning into more Argentine football - the League season is turning out to be a cracker.

Dr G's thread contains all the highlights:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/argentine-superliga.41/page-33

Hopefully we'll get a few more contributing on the back of the interest from this game.

ANY attempt to overturn result in court - but only if you lose - is ludicrous. I hope 110% any such attempt fails.

I guess that wasn't the case in 2015 and the Boca appeal was made prior to any football being played. But that's beside my point. It's the use of "rhats" and the need to insert a Glasgow context and comparison where none exists.

Talk about the football, the rivalry, cheer for a side but to suggest one team is "tims" is rather sad and spoils a great football thread.

Glad you enjoyed it, mate. Worth tuning into more Argentine football - the League season is turning out to be a cracker.

Dr G's thread contains all the highlights:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/argentine-superliga.41/page-33

Hopefully we'll get a few more contributing on the back of the interest from this game.
I enjoyed the game but know little about the Argentine league.Was the way this final handled by conmebol a one off or are they usually more controlled?

I enjoyed the game but know little about the Argentine league.Was the way this final handled by conmebol a one off or are they usually more controlled?

Unfortunately, it's not a one-off. Indeed, there have been several glaring issues through this year's tournament.

For example, River fielding an ineligible player for 7 games due to Conmebol's system showing incorrect suspensions. No repercussions yet Santos field an ineligible player for 1 game and their opposition are awarded the game 3-0.

The Argentine League has its own peculiarities but good football and fans make it entertaining. They're going into their Summer break now with Racing 6pts ahead. It should be a great 2nd half to the season.

I guess that wasn't the case in 2015 and the Boca appeal was made prior to any football being played. But that's beside my point. It's the use of "rhats" and the need to insert a Glasgow context and comparison where none exists.

Talk about the football, the rivalry, cheer for a side but to suggest one team is "tims" is rather sad and spoils a great football thread.

The bahaviour they threatened WAS very reminiscent of one team we all know and hate, as is the constant "We're authentic, we're working class, BA belongs to us, they're all rich snobs from out of town"....it's nonsense as well you know.

Unfortunately, it's not a one-off. Indeed, there have been several glaring issues through this year's tournament.

For example, River fielding an ineligible player for 7 games due to Conmebol's system showing incorrect suspensions. No repercussions yet Santos field an ineligible player for 1 game and their opposition are awarded the game 3-0.

The Argentine League has its own peculiarities but good football and fans make it entertaining. They're going into their Summer break now with Racing 6pts ahead. It should be a great 2nd half to the season.

Because of the complaint system....24 hours after final whistles result can't be overturned.

The bahaviour they threatened WAS very reminiscent of one team we all know and hate, as is the constant "We're authentic, we're working class, BA belongs to us, they're all rich snobs from out of town"....it's nonsense as well you know.

Where are you getting this from? It's a genuine question. And who are "out of town", River Plate?

Where are you getting this from? It's a genuine question. And who are "out of town", River Plate?

Watched the Boca thing on Netflix and the tone was 'they abandoned the true heart of BA, we represent it now...we're authentic face of real football'. That was fans and former players etc. Even the nicknames for River...yet River aren't so far away, aren't any wealthier as a fan base, and are as authentic in every way. I get from everything I see and read a "Love us, love us" from Boca.

Watched the Boca thing on Netflix and the tone was 'they abandoned the true heart of BA, we represent it now...we're authentic face of real football'. That was fans and former players etc. Even the nicknames for River...yet River aren't so far away, aren't any wealthier as a fan base, and are as authentic in every way. I get from everything I see and read a "Love us, love us" from Boca.

Fair enough, you're taking it from the tone of a Netflix documentary.

Argentine supporters don't care about others. I've never experienced the "love us" attitude from any, quite the opposite.

Thanks, will be keeping an eye on the football from now

I go away to Madrid for the weekend and the thread turns into a 'who are the poets of BA' thread? :D

This argument has nothing to do with any club in Argentina, but about individual projections based on a little bit of information. The whole point of this (and the Argieball) thread is to get away from this nonsense. So if you want to have a discussion about who are the poet/staunchest clubs around the world then start a new thread. :p

Now to the important stuff: Wow, what an experience. Never been to a superclasico in BA so can't compare, but this was a brilliant experience, inside and outside the ground. Even if River hadn't won it still would have been well worth the trip.

Haven't looked back over the thread so wont talk about the game as I'm sure it has been discussed fully.

Slightly unfair, my lad has a half and half scarf from every single European game Rangers have played since 1992.
You can take it as read he doesn't have a Rangers/Humphies scarf though!
:)

I can understand a fan buying a Rangers/Sparta Prague scarf, but who buys a Rangers/Celtic (pick any derby) scarf? I'm not expecting bad behaviour, but the whole point of these rivalries is that you pick a side. :)

Now to the important stuff: Wow, what an experience. Never been to a superclasico in BA so can't compare, but this was a brilliant experience, inside and outside the ground. Even if River hadn't won it still would have been well worth the trip.

Let's be having it - photos and details!

Seems I'm in the minority here but I have had a soft spot for Boca for years.I don't know if we have any infinity with any of the 2 clubs and to be frank I don't care.
Disappointed River won it but overall they deserved it tbh.
I hope Boca don't go to CAS,they should take it in the chin and accept they were beaten by the better team on this occasion.

I can understand a fan buying a Rangers/Sparta Prague scarf, but who buys a Rangers/Celtic (pick any derby) scarf? I'm not expecting bad behaviour, but the whole point of these rivalries is that you pick a side. :)
I don't even think a Rangers/Celtic half and half scarf is actually a thing!
:)

Seems I'm in the minority here but I have had a soft spot for Boca for years.I don't know if we have any infinity with any of the 2 clubs and to be frank I don't care.
Disappointed River won it but overall they deserved it tbh.
I hope Boca don't go to CAS,they should take it in the chin and accept they were beaten by the better team on this occasion.

I’m on the verge of supporting them just to be on the opposite side of some of the absolute weapons on this thread.

Losing the SuperCopa earlier in the year was bad enough. This will be even worse. Gallardo triumphs over Schelotto again - this will be why the Boca manager is unlikely to get his contract renewed shortly.

I would imagine Gallardo will soon move to Europe.

Must be sore. It was a great game but RP look a well-coached team.
I go away to Madrid for the weekend and the thread turns into a 'who are the poets of BA' thread? :D

This argument has nothing to do with any club in Argentina, but about individual projections based on a little bit of information. The whole point of this (and the Argieball) thread is to get away from this nonsense. So if you want to have a discussion about who are the poet/staunchest clubs around the world then start a new thread. :p

Haven't looked back over the thread so wont talk about the game as I'm sure it has been discussed fully.

Hadn’t realised you were there mate. Great experience I take it.

Superb game. Boca played with real guts but RP were a cut above and deserved it in my view.

Hadn’t realised you were there mate. Great experience I take it.

Absolutely fantastic. It was like being a wee boy again.

Let's be having it - photos and details!

I'm going to write a proper article on the day. I'm still wired (lack of sleep, travel, post-match alcohol and adrenaline) so will reflect on it for a bit then try and do it justice.

Overall, though, it was a truly memorable day. And I do mean day as the walk to the ground with all the songs/music and firecrackers and talking to fans (mostly expats), who had travelled to be there, made it a great experience.

You'll hate to hear this, but I went there a River sympathiser, but came home a fan. First and foremost, like you, I'm a Bear, but I'm now a River fan after that. I'll still never experience the highs and lows a lifelong fan feels, but it did change for me yesterday.

I'll try and get something written in the next week. :)

DuDzA0wWwAEaDkS.jpg:large

With yesterday (hopefully) being the conclusion of the tournament this thread will slowly disappear into the FF dungeon. That being the case, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed on this thread - the increasing participation has made it a much more enjoyable experience. :)

I'll start a 2019 Libertadores thread when the draw is made.

You'll hate to hear this, but I went there a River sympathiser, but came home a fan. First and foremost, like you, I'm a Bear, but I'm now a River fan after that. I'll still never experience the highs and lows a lifelong fan feels, but it did change for me yesterday.

Not at all. Being in and around La Bombonera and hearing the wife/family talk of football turned me into a Boca fan (although there is an old uncle who is a Racing fan and has tales of the '67 games against a team we all hate).

Can't wait to read it!

Can't remember if I posted highlights of last week's first leg of the Sudamericana final. He fairly rattled the bar with his penalty.

With yesterday (hopefully) being the conclusion of the tournament this thread will slowly disappear into the FF dungeon. That being the case, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed on this thread - the increasing participation has made it a much more enjoyable experience. :)

Its been a fantastic thread mate,thanks for all your contribution really loved following the thread

Out with our collective passion for Rangers, this has been the most enjoyable and informative thread on FF for quite a while. Every time I opened it I learned something more about football's most neglected (well it was until the last month!) international tournament. And while I'm at it, the sister thread "Argieball" is a similarly superb education as to the football fanaticism of a people engrossed in the game almost as much as us.

Back