Daniel Candeias for £750k

As said before has some workrate and great delivery when ball played to him at pace, his deadball delivery needs worked on but looking like a great find already.

I wasn't exactly excited by his signing but he's been pretty solid. Not an out and out winger, who dribbles down the touch line, he's more of a team player and keeps it simple.

He battles to keep himself in games but his output has to get better.

Having said that, 1st half our general passing and delivery was very poor.

He set up a goal, laid another 2 chances on a plate for others (his pass to Niko was sublime) and was denied by a great save from scoring. His output is excellent, he's not going to find a man with every cross.

He set up a goal, laid another 2 chances on a plate for others (his pass to Niko was sublime) and was denied by a great save from scoring. His output is excellent, he's not going to find a man with every cross.

Correct.

In the same way that players can't be in two places at once, Candeias won't find a head with every cross.

He has impressed me this far, his crossing isn't always great, but partly that's down to the number of attempts he has, which isn't a criticism.

We have been missing someone who is ready to put deliveries into the box, and strikers who will attack such balls. We seem to have that now, it's a promising start.

amazing signing for 750k, the way he takes the ball out the air and does that flick then he is on his way its sheer class, compare his attitude with mckays and i would take him every day of the week, he plays for the team and i am delighted with him.

Last edited:
Early days but I'm really impressed with him. He's definetly got a great future with us if he keeps it up, no matter what we say about Pedro he has signed much better quality and added steel to the team than Warburton did

Between him and Jack for best player so far for me. Really enjoy watching him. Fights like fuk for everything can beat a man and has a decent delivery. Just want know what his finishing is like now. Can't recall him shooting much.

His overall play was fantastic today and anytime he lost the ball, he did everything he could to get it back.
A bit too strong with a fair few crosses but man of the match performance

Contributing loads at the moment- has settled really well, and exceeding expectations I had for him. Looking forward to seeing him over the season

Great signing by the gaffer if we had a similar out ball in the left side would give him even more time and space as we are over reliant on him already

Last edited:
At the money you've got to say he looks good value.

However today I thought he levelled out a bit -as many have pointed out his final ball left a lot to desire especially in the first half but with his work rate and decent pace if he were clinical as well I don't think he would be here.

He works his socks off and is pretty unusual for a wide player-I think you need to say a pretty successful signing so far but whether his overall contribution will be enough to get us up where we need to be is up for debate. And to be fair he's not alone in that.

The man plays with alot of heart, his deliveries seem effortless for the best part.

Exactly what we needed.

Shows what happens when it's crossed in early

Really impressed with his tracking back and the speed he fires a cross in.

He's also helped Tav a lot, which could go unnoticed.

He's a good player and I like him but his end product isn't always great. A steal at the price though.

Agreed but what I love about him is that he keeps going. He might put in a couple of bad crosses but you know that a good one is coming. His early ball in for Windass today was brilliant.

Pedro talked about needing players who were consistent and would offer a 7/10 at least in every match and thats what he has bought with candieas. His work rate is phenomenal and when he has games like he did today he's one of if not the best player in the team

Think it was 3-0 and the way he just whipped down the right side after the absolutely tremendous shift he'd put in, made an absolute arse of the cross and lay on his back and pounded the ground and got back up and kept going is exactly the kind of attitude we've all been crying out for the past year or so.

He'll be great for us, he gets it.

Folk need to remember we got him for £750k so obviously he doesn't have everything fs! :D

IMO he offers far more in a game than the likes of McKay or O'Halloran ever did.

Excellent so far and a pretty consistent 8 in all domestic games.

Continually getting up and down the right flank, helping defensively and causing the opposition a lot of problems in an attacking sense.

He is the sort of player that must give the opposition left back 'nightmares' as he is always looking to get by them (and usually does) and whip a ball in.

I talked about Dorrans on his thread but we need to see him attacking the box more often to get onto the balls that are cleared from the defence of Candeias crosses or even to be an extra man to get on the end of the crosses himself. If we could have our 2 forwards plus Dorrans and our LM in the box for Candeias's crosses then we could convert a lot more.

We were continually told when people were trying to justify McKay's performances, that wingers do not need to tackle and it is not their role. However Candeias has shown this is nonsense.

If we could have another Candeias on the left we would be laughing.

I remember when Pedro signed him the first thing he raved about was his work rate. A clear signal to wee Barrie that more was expected from him.

He's been everything Pedro said he'd be.

Great signing!

He made a lot of terrible crosses in the game today. However doesn’t give up and keeps going back for more and does get a few good ones and creates the first two goals.
We looked unbalanced on first half with nobody on the left doing anything. It was only when Windass was on the left with Candeias on the right we stretched them a little.
Playing Dorrans deep isn’t helping his game, play him in a central attacking midfield roll competing against Pena or as a left midfielder competing against Windass and bring in Rossiter next to Jack.

Correct.

In the same way that players can't be in two places at once, Candeias won't find a head with every cross.

Even Kevin De Bruyne doesn't find a team mate with every cross and his delivery is ridiculous.

Candeias vs. the bheggars will be an interesting one. He wil be right up for it.

I love that he just keeps going, a lot of wingers put the head down after a failed cross. He just keeps trying until it works.

The early balls are superb as well.

Terrific signing. His deliveries in the first half especially should have had us on easy street. He'll make us lots of goals. Also likes to track back and put a tackle in unlike other departed wingers.

Bargain signing for me his work rate is excellent and he has quality going forward plus he tracks back very well.

He looks excellent. Everything we need from someone on the right wing.

His partnership with Tav looks better with each passing week too. It's noticeable that Tav is looking a lot better and more secure with two proper centre halves beside him and some protection in front of him.

Back