Doekhi can choose between Union Berlin and Rangers FC

We obviously layer in our love for the club into the comments but in reality big five league, european football (they will be in group stages somewhere potentially) is a very big draw.

Its not a slam dunk decision for someone with no affiliation with us.
I get that, but even without the Rangers tinted specs.

European football we've gotten better year after year, I'd want to be at the club winning Europe and reaching those finals.

Not just making up the numbers to eventually get unceremoniously dumped out.

Union Berlin even if they win and Leipzig lose there level on points but RB have a far superior GD & they would need Freiburg to get beat as well……not happening!

The champs league is impossible even if they win its 30 odd goal diff.

They can secure Europa with a win and freiburg lose or draw to Leverkusen away (likely)

Right now there in conference qualifying spot but if they lose or draw chances are Koln catch them and they end up with no European football at all.

All to play for still.

I honestly think will choose us if we are guaranteed champs league football , will be waiting until after final .

Union Berlin are 6th and on form, they have a good chance at finishing 5th or 4th. Bundesliga is a far more attractive league than ours so it's not that straightforward a decision for someone with no UK connection.
Tbf they're 3 points behind 4th place with one game to go and a GD of -30 so the highest they're going is Europa League.

Taking all biases out of the equation, this is the stark reality of playing in this league. A team who are playing in the top flight for the first time in their history are a more attractive prospect than Europa League finalists. There's nobody in this country who think "big picture" when it comes to football - parochial, self-serving minds are all we have.

I love how he said he wants to play in Europe but forget too mention he can also choose Europa League finalists.

I get that, but even without the Rangers tinted specs.

European football we've gotten better year after year, I'd want to be at the club winning Europe and reaching those finals.

Not just making up the numbers to eventually get unceremoniously dumped out.
True but if that were accurate Goldson would be on a four year deal and not looking at moves to West Brom etc

Wanted him last June. Slow start to this season (manager was asking him to mix up his game from the back and I think there was a chop in formation) and I think he had a slight niggle. Other than that, settled down and has been pretty solid. Become a lot more direct from the back (similar to Goldson - obviously don't watch him as regular as Goldson).

Would like this or another centre back done ASAP. If we are losing Goldson, this is a real week spot for us.

We need a Bougherra type signing, when Cuellar left.

So is the Champions League :cool:

Only with certain clubs now. The top 4 leagues (I don't think France should be considered near them personally) all have numerous games a season of a standard of the CL, and it's better than 6 group games and the SPFL.

That's just the reality of the position we're in. Germany has plenty of big games, excellent crowds at numerous clubs, a high standard of living, and Union Berlin pay pretty well. It's likely to be more attractive to many players.

He may well look at it and think 1 or 2 good seasons with Union Berlin and I can move to a Top 3 team in Germany.

Wouldnt happen even with 1 or 2 outstanding seasons in Scotland.

Therein lies our problem.
Depends where he wants to end up.

If he wants to end up in England then he has a good chance if he plays well for Rangers. If he wants to end up at a big German club then it would make sense gaining experience in that league with Berlin. Playing well for Rangers domestically may not be enough to get a move directly to one of the top clubs in the big five leagues but Rangers seem to be playing more European games than most clubs over the last few years and these games get you noticed everywhere. Plus at Rangers you get these magical European nights and Cup Finals where you get the chance to be remembered forever.

Any player who has the “right stuff” to join Rangers and fits the demands of this site will have to be a highly talented, strong willed, committed and professional.
Strong willed professional people consider all aspects of a potential move before committing, the impact on their family life, the sporting opportunity to develop their career, how their style of play will fit with their new league, how they will fit in, how their family will fit in, cultural and language barriers and of course, the remuneration package.

The “us or them - no brainier” stuff put forward on here might show how highly we rate our Club, but it ignores the complex issues surrounding a player’s decision making process, particularly when that player has little or no actual knowledge or experience of the Club.

Playing in Scotland with its social issues, in a two horse race where your opponents are allowed to boot feck out of you on plastic pitches and the media have a history of demonising Rangers signings before they’ve kick a ball might just be a harder sell than some allow.

Fortunately, we still have enough to offer to level out the field and attract talent, but getting them in is a sales job and far from a “no brainer”.

Last edited:
It might sound like an obvious thing to say but, winning the Europa League and qualifying for the Chanpions League could be a massive game changer for us in terms of keeping a few existing players and attracting new ones.

Conference League and mid table Bundesliga battle with Union Berlin or potential Champions League and a title fight with Rangers. What is there to consider?

Hopefully our Dutch connection can swing it.

Bundesliga is a massive draw for any player though.

Just hope he hasn't been Googling SPHell grounds to have a look at what would be in store for him ! :eek:

Union have had a very good season, 6th in the Bundesliga right now. But, that won’t be something they’ll keep up season after season.

He could come here, be a definite starter, win trophys and hopefully be playing Champions League football - know what I’d be picking.

If you read the reports he's referring to your opinion will change mate.

He's signed a 4 year deal with union according to a journo from the town his current team play in.
He might very well have signed for Berlin but that's not exactly irrefutable evidence. The journo could be the Dutch Keith Jackson.

Union Berlin are 6th and on form, they have a good chance at finishing 5th. Bundesliga is a far more attractive league than ours so it's not that straightforward a decision for someone with no UK connection.

Exactly.

People on here seem to forget that not every player in the world is a Rangers fan.

He'll be thinking if he goes to the Bundesliga and does well there's a decent chance of a bigger move to the likes of Dortmund or Bayern.

Exactly.

People on here seem to forget that not every player in the world is a Rangers fan.

He'll be thinking if he goes to the Bundesliga and does well there's a decent chance of a bigger move to the likes of Dortmund or Bayern.
This

We might be the best club in the world and be the best fans
But we don't play in the best of leagues sadly

I was over in Rotterdam for work before Christmas. I watched Vitesse games to see what this player was all about and I have to say, I wasn't impressed one little bit. His positional play was shocking. He also looked one paced. He did pose a threat in the opposition box at set pieces. I'm not convinced at all that we're in for this guy as I have serious doubts he's anywhere near the level of player to replace Goldson.

I was over in Rotterdam for work before Christmas. I watched Vitesse games to see what this player was all about and I have to say, I wasn't impressed one little bit. His positional play was shocking. He also looked one paced. He did pose a threat in the opposition box at set pieces. I'm not convinced at all that we're in for this guy as I have serious doubts he's anywhere near the level of player to replace Goldson.
I suspect we’ll be waiting a while for a proper Goldson replacement.

The champs league is impossible even if they win its 30 odd goal diff.

They can secure Europa with a win and freiburg lose or draw to Leverkusen away (likely)

Right now there in conference qualifying spot but if they lose or draw chances are Koln catch them and they end up with no European football at all.

All to play for still.

The 2 Europa spots for Germany go to the cup winners and 5th place. Freiburg (5th) and Leipzig (4th) are in the cup final so think Union will definitely be in the Europa next season.

Back