Doekhi can choose between Union Berlin and Rangers FC

We as a support overestimate how big we are outside our own country.

We know we've a huge support, but you only need to drive as far as Carlisle to find folk that'll tell you we're a diddy club.

We just lost a manager to relegation fodder because it was the EPL.

Us being in the Europa final won't suddenly have lads from the continent picking the SPL over a top league unless they're coming here young hoping for a move to England.

Just another example of how happy the odds are stacked against club's like ours
Diddy league maybe but I don’t think many see us as a diddy club.

Union Berlin or us, absolutely ridiculous. I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment but after this season is he still the calibre we are looking? Not seen the guy okay so happy to be corrected.

Im not going to lose sleep if we miss out on a player I have never seen play nor had even heard of until this season.

We just cant compete if he has the opportunity to play in the Bundesliga.

Still have a very very small feeling if we win on Wednesday Goldson will stay.

I've seen people raging at the club/Wilson over this on Twitter and I honestly don't get it. The club cant force players to sign for us. As much as that would be nice, it's pretty illegal.

Also read people saying the club lacks ambition because we've failed to land Veerman, Skov Olsen, Majer in recent windows, all three of whom have kicked on at their new clubs. We didn't sign Majer because we signed Hagi instead. We didn't land Veerman or Skov Olsen due to the clubs finances being crippled by Covid. If Doekhi chooses the BuLi over the SPFL, then I cant say I blame him. Two good seasons at Union has the likes of Bayern, Dortmund and EPL clubs sniffing round him.

An element of realism is required when it comes to going after players on the continent. Rangers are a massive club but many Leagues in Europe can offer a far better career path to the top of the European game than we can. That's just the reality of being based in Scotland.

If we cant win over a young dutchman with the backroom staff we've got at our disposal, then it's not really worth beating ourselves up over it tbh. He's clearly got other plans for his career and his development. At least the club is trying to lure good players to the club, some we'll get and others we wont.

This is why us getting to the final of the Europa could be a game changer. His choice was playing in the German league or the corrupt little Scottish one set up for one team but now he has a lot more to consider.

From a sense perspective, nothing to do with his final choice of club, I find it bizarre that pro players run their contracts down without signing a pre-contract in January. Surely they're advised to sign for someone on a pre-contract in case they pick up a serious injury. No?

I would've thought he (and Goldson for that matter) would already be signed up with a club.

From a sense perspective, nothing to do with his final choice of club, I find it bizarre that pro players run their contracts down without signing a pre-contract in January. Surely they're advised to sign for someone on a pre-contract in case they pick up a serious injury. No?

I would've thought he (and Goldson for that matter) would already be signed up with a club.
When they make that choice they will take out an insurance.policy for loss of earnings through injury to cover them

Because if he has to decide then he's not for us. Union Berlin or Rangers? Ffs it's not even a contest
They are comfortably challenging for European spots in one of Europe's biggest leagues after only being in the league three seasons. They aren't some diddy side.

Add that to the fact he will be getting to play Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen etc away instead of Livi, Ross County and Killie.

IF he is weighing up Union Berlin or us then he'd best just sign for Union.
Best point on the thread.

Its utterly weird listening to people that obviously have sky and are tuned in all weekend to the very best leagues in the world telling us why we are not the right club. Remember when Souttar was a target they told us he will leave for the championship in England as its all about the premiership these days this is where everyone wants to be, more chance of that happening in Blackburn or Sheffield, no way he picks Rangers and scottish football.

I dont think some posters realise how dangerous all that live tv coverage is, its risky, have to take a break from it sometimes.... i bet before we played Dortmund and Bull we had no chance cos thats what the live telly coverage and all the stats websites telt us.

I have no idea about German leagues but Union sounds like a similar club to say Burnley or Palace, maybe its more about money than the size of each club, which is fair enough.

If he gets off to a bad start at Union any media peeps looking in are welcome to use my headline “Ex Rangers target Drowning in Berlin”

I haven't yet given up hope on him signing for us - despite these recent reports

I'm consoling myself with the idea that given his current situation - it's not in his - or his current club - or potential future club's interests- to say too much at this stage

I think it's more than likely he's already made up his mind - but having his decision plastered all over the media before the season end - won't help any party

If true - it could just mean he's got respect for his current employers & fans -

Then again - perhaps his silence is because he's yet to decide

This could also be applied to Goldson - but somehow I don't think so

The Bundesliga probably has the most financial muscle outside of England.
Further for a Dutch person travel will be so much easier if they want to pop home.
Union Berlin are a club on the up as well.
So losing out on this player is no surprise.

Rangers just have to work harder in identifying future talent and then getting in there before they catch the attention of bigger leagues.

Win on Wednesday and all of this becomes so much easier for us.

Because if he has to decide then he's not for us. Union Berlin or Rangers? Ffs it's not even a contest
Eh? Players are not allowed to think over their futures if they’re to play for us? Daftest thing I’ve heard in ages. Bundesliga v SPL, games against Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Frankfurt or St Midden, Ross County….. it really isn’t a contest

Bundesliga v SPL, games against Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Frankfurt or St Midden, Ross County….. it really isn’t a contest
Depends what you want out of your career. If you want to win tiles and cups and compete in Europe then you dont consider Union Berlin. If you want to get more money and sit sit middle table then you do.

Depends what you want out of your career. If you want to win tiles and cups and compete in Europe then you dont consider Union Berlin. If you want to get more money and sit sit middle table then you do.
Most players want to test themselves against the best, at the highest level they are capable of and the higher wage is a huge draw. Union are on the verge of European qualification

One of many decisions in the summer that could be directly linked to the result on Wednesday night. Playing for the Europa league winners, guaranteed champions league and Super Cup to come would make us hard to turn down.

This is nonsense, sorry, but it is.

Union Berlin played in Europe this season and look to be again this coming year. Top teams in Germany like Bayern and Dortmund routinely snap up players in the league who really impress. How can you question what ambition this guy has if he chooses to go to Union?

This is nonsense, sorry, but it is.

Union Berlin played in Europe this season and look to be again this coming year. Top teams in Germany like Bayern and Dortmund routinely snap up players in the league who really impress. How can you question what ambition this guy has if he chooses to go to Union?
It's like Hearts or Dundee Utd playing in Europe. UB won't achieve anything or win anything. If that's his ambition then UB are welcome to him

An element of realism is required when it comes to going after players on the continent. Rangers are a massive club but many Leagues in Europe can offer a far better career path to the top of the European game than we can. That's just the reality of being based in Scotland.
There is an element of the support that demand perfection from the club via anonymous twitter accounts while still living at home with their mum. #irony

It's like Hearts or Dundee Utd playing in Europe. UB won't achieve anything or win anything. If that's his ambition then UB are welcome to him

You're missing the point.

It's not about UB winning or even doing all that well in europe.

It's the mobility and exposure that comes from playing in a top league. He impresses for Union Berlin and the top Bundesliga clubs may well come calling, and even outside of that. Have a look through the Bayern, Dortmund or even Leipzig squads and they are full of players that were signed from "lesser" German clubs.

When is the last time a player left us for a Bayern, a Barcelona, a PSG? We're going back a decade and a youth in Danny Wilson. We are a huge club but we are handicapped by where we play. Bundesliga vs Scottish Premiership, there is no comparison.

Players in europe may be aware we are huge club. They probably don't realise just how big, but reality is reality. If you aren't a Rangers fan, where would you rather be playing on a Wednesday night, Victoria Park in Dingwall or the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg?

Back